PDA

View Full Version : Buying a safe. Question about delivery people

Black_Talon
04-20-2005, 5:42 PM
I'm thinking of buying a new safe from Liberty. They have a deal where they'll deliver/install it for $125. This would save a lot of wear and tear on my poor back, but I'm really worried about having it delivered by a couple of grunts on a truck.

Can you trust these guys? Should you? I really don't want someone knowing the location of a gunsafe. Of course the salesman at Liberty cheerfully assures me that his guys are on the up-and-up, bonded etc, but that doesn't do much to assuage my concerns.

Suggestions? I have no friends that can help me do this myself, but since it's a relatively small handgun safe, I'm thinking I could rent a concrete drill and possibly pull off the whole thing by myself.

Blue
04-20-2005, 9:18 PM
I have the same thoughts about the mail man and UPS and Fedex guys that bring me all of my gun stuff http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I don't trust anyone, but then again think about how many safes these guys probably deliver and have never ripped anyone off that anyone knows of. If anything I'd just tell them that you're going to put a bunch of family pictures and stuff in it because it's fire rated. Come up with some BS story and then ask them if there's really people out there that actually have enough guns to fill the safe.

Blue
04-20-2005, 9:20 PM
I have a rotohammer drill and a couple bits back at the shop if that's all you need. Let me know if you're in the San Jose area.

bwiese
04-21-2005, 12:42 PM
If you're dealing with Alan Hills and the gang at Liberty Safes in San Jose (on Bascom near Camden and Union), he's a straight shooter and on the up & up.

I've gotten 2 safes from him in the past 5+ years and the delivery guys he uses are conscious of gun/security issues. They've been associated w/Liberty for some time.

$125 is a good deal to move a safe, and Liberty makes a good safe. Don't hesitate.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Black_Talon
04-21-2005, 5:27 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
If you're dealing with Alan Hills and the gang at Liberty Safes in San Jose

Thanks for the info, but I'm dealing with Liberty Safe down in Ontario, CA. Anyone have any experience with them?

I called today and talked to them and they said they'd do a simple delivery and just drop it off at the curb for $50. That sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm thinking I could get it dropped off at my friends business, just a few miles from my house and then just finish off the rest of the install myself.

Black_Talon
04-21-2005, 5:29 PM
Originally posted by Blue84s10:
I have a rotohammer drill and a couple bits back at the shop if that's all you need. Let me know if you're in the San Jose area.

Thanks for the offer bro, I sure appreciate it, but unfortunately I'm about 400 miles south of you! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ke6guj.groupee@jackofsometrades.com
04-22-2005, 2:52 PM
Originally posted by Black_Talon:
Thanks for the info, but I'm dealing with Liberty Safe down in Ontario, CA. Anyone have any experience with them?

I called today and talked to them and they said they'd do a simple delivery and just drop it off at the curb for $50. That sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm thinking I could get it dropped off at my friends business, just a few miles from my house and then just finish off the rest of the install myself.

If you are going to go to all the effort of loading up the safe at your friend's then transporting it back to your house, then save the $50, and pick it up at the store, expecially if it is a "relatively small handgun safe".

As for West Coast Liberty Safes in Ontario, I got my safe from them around 7 years ago. The owner, Steve, delivered and installed my Lincoln 25 all by himself.

Think about this, if people started getting broken into, and they all had gunsafes purchased from the same place, how long do you think they would still be in business. Better to have the safe company do the installation instead of a couple guys hired out of the Home Depot parking lot, or a "handyman" out of the newspaper.

Jack

Blue
04-22-2005, 4:53 PM
How big is this "pistol safe"?

Black_Talon
04-22-2005, 5:11 PM
How big is this "pistol safe"?

18"w x 24"H x 16"D.

ke6guj.groupee@jackofsometrades.com
04-22-2005, 5:51 PM
18"w x 24"H x 16"D.

Checking the specs on that, it lists at 155lbs. That would definitely be one-personable with a hand truck.

If your worried about security, I wouldn't, then just go pick it up.

edit: Oh yah, at that weight, make sure you follow through and bolt that sucker down. If not, the bad guys'll just cart it off and open it later.

Blue
04-22-2005, 9:52 PM
Originally posted by ke6guj:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black_Talon:
18"w x 24"H x 16"D.

Checking the specs on that, it lists at 155lbs. That would definitely be one-personable with a hand truck.

QUOTE]
Yea I think you'd be best off taking a friend with you and a pick up truck and just doing it that way. Then you save the delivery fee and you have the peace of mind knowing that you did it yourself and aren't a target of possible theft.

Blue
04-22-2005, 9:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ke6guj:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Black_Talon:
18"w x 24"H x 16"D.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yea I think you'd be best off taking a friend with you and a pick up truck and just doing it that way. Then you save the delivery fee and you have the peace of mind knowing that you did it yourself and aren't a target of possible theft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rwmagnus
04-23-2005, 9:33 AM
That seems expensive for a small safe. I paid that for a 600lb model. Now I realize there is a core charge just for making the trip but size matters, LOL! Mine was delivered from US Safe in Murrieta,CA. They have all different sizes available and deliver their own products. I too was looking at a Liberty, Stack On and Sentry but purchased the Cannon model because of price, warranty and service from the vendor. I say get a friend and the two of you could move a 150lb safe easily and not bother with movers.

Black_Talon
04-24-2005, 4:39 PM
Spent some time looking at safes this weekend. Turns out Cannon has a safe that's almost the identical size as the Liberty that I've been looking at, but is priced over $100 cheaper than the Liberty.

Here's the two safes I've been looking at:

1) The 4 cubic foot version of this Liberty (http://www.wcliberty.com/Personal_home_safe.lasso)

-and-

2) The 4 cubic foot version of this Cannon (http://www.cannonsafe.com/safeshomeseries/) (model # H4).

Is there a performance reason (better burglary or fire protection) the Liberty is 25% more expensive than the Cannon?

Blue
04-25-2005, 5:09 PM
Spent some time looking at safes this weekend. Turns out Cannon has a safe that's almost the identical size as the Liberty that I've been looking at, but is priced over $100 cheaper than the Liberty.

1) The 4 cubic foot version of this Liberty (http://www.wcliberty.com/Personal_home_safe.lasso)

-and-

2) The 4 cubic foot version of this Cannon (http://www.cannonsafe.com/safeshomeseries/) (model # H4).

Is there a performance reason (better burglary or fire protection) the Liberty is 25% more expensive than the Cannon?

I have no experience with either, but isn't Cannon a newer player on the field? That could be part of the reason they're priced alittle less.

rjones0604
04-28-2005, 7:50 AM
Black_Talon,

The weight of either the Libery or the Cannon is well within the ability of you and a buddy to handle. Also, you do NOT need to rent a concrete drill! I mounted my Liberty F45 (approx 900 lbs) to the concrete floor of my garage and used my 18V Makita cordless drill to drill the holes. Concrete is actually 'softer' than you might imagine - just make sure to use a good masonry bit. With that setup, each hole required less than a minute to drill.

rob

rwmagnus
04-28-2005, 5:29 PM

-and-

I can't comment on the differences between the two but you could call Brian at US Safes as he specializes in Cannon and can share with you the merits of their safes. Phone is 951-461-6994. Deliver is done by his company as well or local pick up is fine too. His bigger safes are on eBay all the time. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgotsafes I don't have a stake in his business, just a satisfied customer.

maxicon
04-29-2005, 3:43 PM
I have a big Liberty, but the Cannons get good reviews from the gun community at rec.guns.

PressCheck
04-30-2005, 8:57 AM
I bought a Liberty Safe (Presidental series) from Liberty in San Jose. Great price & service.

They had to bring it up 15 steps when they delivered it the same day that I bought it.

Blue
04-30-2005, 10:26 PM
how do they move these huge safes? some sort of a handtruck on steroids?

bwiese
05-01-2005, 1:00 PM
how do they move these huge safes? some sort of a handtruck on steroids?

Like PressCheck above (and a few others here) I got my previous and current safe from Liberty Safes in San Jose.

It took 3 guys to move my Nat'l Security safe (1400lbs) into my new place: had to go down 5-6 steps and they couldn't damage my tile floor.
They used a special 'refrigerator lift' handtruck, along with grace skill and brawn to get it down to ground level.

Needless to say, these guys were pretty sharp.
It was worth the $$.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Black_Talon
05-05-2005, 5:39 PM
Well, I broke down and got an AmSec BF1512 from West Coast Liberty. Decided to step up in quality from the Liberty/Cannon safes. I also bit the bullet and had the Liberty Safe guys deliver+install the safe (300 lbs is just too much for me to handle with my bad back). It took them about 20 minutes, start to finish, to unload it and bolt it down to the slab. Hopefully they won't be back in a few days to steal it right back......

icormba
05-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, I broke down and got an AmSec BF1512 from West Coast Liberty. Decided to step up in quality from the Liberty/Cannon safes. I also bit the bullet and had the Liberty Safe guys deliver+install the safe (300 lbs is just too much for me to handle with my bad back). It took them about 20 minutes, start to finish, to unload it and bolt it down to the slab. Hopefully they won't be back in a few days to steal it right back......

like Bill said... "good guys". I marked lines on my floor for them to follow, I had a pretty tight space to put a 900lbs safe and they had it between the lines within less than a 1/4 inch to spare. total time: ~15 minutes

p.s. my safe is still there. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif