PDA

View Full Version : Napa Shooters

DanielinNapa
09-19-2009, 6:54 PM
Looking to find a few folks to shoot with in the Napa area, also hoping to find information on joining the Napa Rifle and Pistol Club. Getting tires of going to Vacaville and Marin to shoot, no offense to those places but I drive all week and would enjoy shooting close to home. Thanks

sargenv
09-20-2009, 7:19 PM
A lot of people head down to Richmond Rod & Gun.. including peoples from Santa Rosa and Cloverdale.... Not sure where you could shoot closer than that.. There used to be Montana Hawk indoors and Cotati R&G but they are all gone now. I think Ukiah has a range, but that is a bit farther than Richmond from Napa.

grunz
09-20-2009, 9:45 PM
This place is by Petaluma. Has rifle out to 300.

http://www.sonomashooting.org/circles.html

Hrod8715
04-21-2010, 6:49 PM
A lot of people head down to Richmond Rod & Gun.. including peoples from Santa Rosa and Cloverdale.... Not sure where you could shoot closer than that.. There used to be Montana Hawk indoors and Cotati R&G but they are all gone now. I think Ukiah has a range, but that is a bit farther than Richmond from Napa.

yea, Ukiah has a cool range.

BigDogatPlay
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Napa Rifle & Pistol Club is not taking any new members, last I heard.

Valley of the Moon Trap Club (www.votmc.org) has a small rifle and pistol range, along with a bunch of trap fields and one 5 stand clays set up. The rifle and pistol ranges are limited hours and are strictly members only. No public shooting hours for those. Public shooting days for clays are Wednesday and Sunday.

Closest casual range to Napa is up the hill at Boggs Mountain State Forest (http://www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/resource_mgt_stateforests_boggsmtn.php) in Lake County. This is managed by CalFire.

In Ukiah, there is the Ukiah Gun Club members only, and Cow Mountain, which is BLM.

metalhead357
04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Napa Rifle & Pistol Club is not taking any new members, last I heard.

Valley of the Moon Trap Club (www.votmc.org (http://www.votmc.org)) has a small rifle and pistol range, along with a bunch of trap fields and one 5 stand clays set up.

Napa is very difficult to get into. Napa only takes new members once a year....and usually there is a waiting list. At last count I believe they have a total of 425 members. New prospects need a sponsor and a co-sponsor
as well as some other equirments like a mandatory-must-belong to the NRA, must be/get range qualified, and a few other bits.

I aint seen Valley of the moon but have talked personally to two members who state they love the place......

Keep asking around Napa....you will eventually find a member. You need to be known to the Sponsor/Co-sponsor. Get an invite or two...or two dozen invites to go out & use the place (A member must be with you) and see if its what you actually want. Dues are not outrageous and it is a pretty nice club with a 24/7 indoor range for pistols. They are VERY safety heavy ((a very nice thing).............

Aside from that I dunno if Lake Berryessa/Knoxville still has an open spot to shoot...there was an on/off again spot on the North end several miles up (the name elludes me at the moment)........

Good luck

BigDogatPlay
04-22-2010, 2:34 PM
Berryessa / Knoxville was closed to informal shooting two years ago by BLM. There is limited hunting up there during some parts of the year and thats it.

I used to know a guy who is a member at Napa Rifle and Pistol and have fired up there, but it's been many years and it's too far a haul for me over from Sonoma County.

If anyone is interested in checking out Valley of the Moon, they have public trap shooting on Wednesday and Sunday mornings. I'll be out there this coming Sunday if anyone wants to meet up. They require you attend at least four different public shooting days before you apply for membership. Valley of the Moon requires an active NRA membership to join their club.

metalhead357
04-22-2010, 2:46 PM
Berryessa / Knoxville was closed to informal shooting two years ago by BLM. There is limited hunting up there during some parts of the year and thats it. .

Thanks for the clarification: I had heard the rumors....it probably was at least 2 years since I was last up there..........

California Major
04-22-2010, 2:49 PM
We have some Army National Guard units in Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Lakeport....We get to shoot a few times a year...

Demolition, too!:43:

BigDogatPlay
04-22-2010, 3:47 PM
For the record... this page has a link to the closure order for Knoxville. (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/knoxville.html)

metalhead357
04-23-2010, 7:16 AM
For the record... this page has a link to the closure order for Knoxville. (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/knoxville.html)

I'll say thanks...but its hard saying thanks for bad news............. Sux, another spot bites the dust:(

BigDogatPlay
04-23-2010, 8:13 AM
Sux, another spot bites the dust:(

Agreed.... and like so many other cases we probably have our own side that abuses the public lands with trash and shot up junk to thank for it. At least in part. That gets more places closed to us than anything else, I think.