PDA

View Full Version : Avoid HP computers

locosway
09-19-2009, 7:50 PM
To anyone looking for a laptop or desktop. Avoid HP if you can. I know they have some "hip" styles and their pricing seems reasonable, however this isn't the company you remember from years ago.

I had the worst experience with HP not long ago and received the most ghetto replacement laptop after waiting 3 months. The worst part is my problem was from a "known issue".

So, I'll stick with my Dell for laptops and home built for desktops.

ENVYGREEN
09-19-2009, 8:09 PM
Please avoid them, I bought one 2 years ago and it lasted just over a year, hardwear problems google hp tx1000 plagued with issues

halifax
09-19-2009, 8:13 PM
To anyone looking for a laptop or desktop. Avoid HP if you can. I know they have some "hip" styles and their pricing seems reasonable, however this isn't the company you remember from years ago.

I had the worst experience with HP not long ago and received the most ghetto replacement laptop after waiting 3 months. The worst part is my problem was from a "known issue".

So, I'll stick with my Dell for laptops and home built for desktops.

You got that right. About the time HP bought Compaq, we stopped buying HPs because of bad experiences with Compaq. I guess we made a correct decision. :)

FreedomIsNotFree
09-19-2009, 9:25 PM
Not only do they have hardware issues, they also outsource their "support" to India. Use your imagination on how well those sessions go.

I will never buy another HP product.

supermario
09-19-2009, 11:54 PM
:eek: I will keep my fingers crossed because i bought an HP tower and it has been running strong for about 7years now. I was sooo impressed that i bought an HP Pavilion Laptop and been using it for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems.. I hope i just got lucky. The strange thing is, my coworker uses Dell and a relative and they have had many hardware problems. Go figure. Anyways.. I hope i didnt just jinx myself..

locosway
09-20-2009, 12:05 AM
It's not about having or not having problems, it's how the company deals with the problems.

After a week of troubleshooting over the phone, I finally lied numerous times to get HP to take the laptop back. 1.5 Months went by before HP acknowledged there was a problem with our laptop not being returned. During this entire time it was in status "Waiting for parts". We were told the parts were on order and they would arrive soon.

2 months go by and I'm ticked off. I keep calling every day and they keep giving me the run around.

2.5 months and I'm finally escalated to a supervisor and he says he's going to replace the laptop and he's really sorry. He said the problem was a solder joint that came loose and it's a known issue with that model. So he offers me different laptops. Finally I find a configuration that is slightly better than the one my wife had so I choose it. Well, it turns out it's a gold color... GOLD!!!

We waited 6 more months for our data off the old hard drive but never got it. We lost a lot of pictures and school work because of that.

Did I also mention the entire time I was connected to India with someone who had no idea about how English was supposed to be used?

With Dell when there is a problem, they handle it. They're very good about that, and know how to make things right.

icormba
09-20-2009, 3:27 AM
I had a HP laptop for years and never had a problem with it until the hard drive went out.

I bought a Dell about two years ago for the price (bought a refurbished one), the monitor went out after a week… Dell sent out DHL with a pickup tag an hour after I got off the phone with them, 5pm on a Friday! I got my laptop back the next Monday morning with a brand new monitor… less than a 36 hr turnaround, on the weekend at that.

sd_shooter
09-20-2009, 7:16 AM
Any "consumer" laptop will be junk, especially HP and Toshiba, right along with Acer - basically anything you'll find at your local Best Buy or Frys.

HP business laptops are great! Built like a tank, even sturdier than IBM/Lenovo. You'll pay more for these and you might as well consider a Mac when in this price range.

mblat
09-20-2009, 9:04 AM
Any "consumer" laptop will be junk, especially HP and Toshiba, right along with Acer - basically anything you'll find at your local Best Buy or Frys.

HP business laptops are great! Built like a tank, even sturdier than IBM/Lenovo. You'll pay more for these and you might as well consider a Mac when in this price range.

Or buy Dell..... and be done....

Now.... generally HP simply has different business model. They are trying to cater to people who change there every two to three years. That is how long HP products design to last. Some last more. Few last less..... You can have five years old HP that runs fine...... but isn't withing "normal distribution".

As far as HP outsourcing support to India...... Who doesn't? Come to think about it I don't know if Dell does - never had to call them.

GrizzlyGuy
09-20-2009, 9:44 AM
i bought an HP Pavilion Laptop and been using it for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems..

+1

I'm posting on my Pavilion right now. I got it back when Vista had just been released. I immediately reformatted the drive and installed Windows Server 2003 (need that for work) and have had zero problems with it so far.

I prefer Macs, but I'd consider another HP for work use.

DiscoBayJoe
09-20-2009, 9:52 AM

HP business laptops are great! Built like a tank, even sturdier than IBM/Lenovo.

+1 I've had IBM/Toshiba/HP and i've worked on consumer-class machines from Dell/HP/Acer/Toshiba etc. If you find a computer at a retail outlet it will be junk, regardless of manufactuer.

A key indicactor for those less technical is what OS is pre-loaded.

XP/Vista Home = Junk Machine
XP/Vista Pro/Business = Probably going to be pretty nice.

You probably don't need the Pro/Business OS features, but they tend to be co-bundled with quality hardware.

My current laptop is a HP Compaq 8710w and it's a rockstar. I've dropped it, smashed it, I just can't break it! It's got a 17" 1920x1200 screen and i've reloaded it with Windows7. I've worn out the keyboard letters and a HP has shown up at my location to replace the keyboard no questions asked (ok, well, they asked me what was wrong, and when I told them they came out and fixed it right infront of me.. they even vaccumed out half-a-dog's worth of hair that was trapped inside no hassles!)..

Anyone in the market for a laptop should wait a month or two to get a machine pre-loaded with Windows7. Windows7 64bit is the Shiz.

jmlivingston
09-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Dell outsources to India. Gateway brought there tech-support back to the USA a few years ago.

hoffman259
09-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I always built my computers unitl this one. I never had an HP, until I got this computer 2 years ago. Its run flawless with 0 problems. Its hit and miss I guess just like most things now days.

SeanCasey
09-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I used to work with HP during Carly Fiorina's time there. She did such a large amount of damage to that company and how it operates that they are still picking up pieces.

After HP, I worked with Dell. Dell's biggest falling is their standard consumer technical support. I buy all of my machines through their business division. Their business supoprt is generally US or Canada based and tends to be less scripted. Of course the other nice thing about their more advanced support is that if I troubleshoot a problem I can just call them and say "the hard drive died, please send another drive" and the next day I get a new hard drive on my desk.

As far as hardware quality goes, neither HP, Dell, Gateway, or Apple for that matter build their own machines. Companies with the names Compal, Clevo, Uniwill, ECS, Arima, Quanta, FIC, Spectec, Wistron & Mitac produce roughly 85% of the laptops sold in the world.

Sometimes the difference between an HP and Dell is the drivers provided and the system case and logo.

Also I would like to +1 the advice to wait until October 22nd before buying a new computer. That is the availability date for OEM Windows 7 machines. Go with Win 7 x64 and 4gb+ of memory and you will be quite happy.

Dangerpin
09-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm an IT professional working for a company that acts as the IT Department for hundreds of small and medium sized businesses. So we touch a lot of different computer manufacturers and have to deal with tech support for all of them.

Dell will send you to India if you purchase the lower end support, they even closed down a few more North American support centers this year. However, if your computer can still get online that helps. You can use the online tech support features. It is much easier to read butchered english than to listen to it. Additionally, if you pay for the upper level support (sometimes called Pro-Support or Gold depending on the type of computer you buy) you can get North American support during normal business hours.

I'm glad to hear that Gateway is moving support back to the US, they used to have fantastic machines back in the day. I know the computers themselves are still made in Mexico or China, just like all the others, but having actual US tech supports might make the difference if the quality of manufacture has gone up in the last few years.

My recommendation is generally to go business class with Dell and the better warranty. Buy online, not through a brick-and-mortar store. All you need to be considered a small business with Dell is to setup a small business login with them, no questions asked.

Lenovo can be hit or miss they used to have all the tech support with IBM, which was the best in the world, but recently have also started shipping support abroad. I trust their laptops more than the desktops.

HP/Compaq are uniformly bad and have been since they managed to mesh the worst of each company when HP bought Compaq. What was that, nine years ago, now? The only product I would buy from them is high end printing and print servers, and that is only because you so rarely have to call tech support on these items.

locosway
09-20-2009, 12:19 PM
+1 I've had IBM/Toshiba/HP and i've worked on consumer-class machines from Dell/HP/Acer/Toshiba etc. If you find a computer at a retail outlet it will be junk, regardless of manufactuer.

A key indicactor for those less technical is what OS is pre-loaded.

XP/Vista Home = Junk Machine
XP/Vista Pro/Business = Probably going to be pretty nice.

You probably don't need the Pro/Business OS features, but they tend to be co-bundled with quality hardware.

My current laptop is a HP Compaq 8710w and it's a rockstar. I've dropped it, smashed it, I just can't break it! It's got a 17" 1920x1200 screen and i've reloaded it with Windows7. I've worn out the keyboard letters and a HP has shown up at my location to replace the keyboard no questions asked (ok, well, they asked me what was wrong, and when I told them they came out and fixed it right infront of me.. they even vaccumed out half-a-dog's worth of hair that was trapped inside no hassles!)..

Anyone in the market for a laptop should wait a month or two to get a machine pre-loaded with Windows7. Windows7 64bit is the Shiz.

The OS has no bearing on hardware quality. If it did then 99% of all PC's sold would be crap because Linux is better.

Satex
09-20-2009, 3:17 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the last Dell E6500 (batch of three) we purchased (just three months ago) are an absolute piece of poopoo.

radioburning
09-20-2009, 3:40 PM
the hinges on my HP laptop have basically fallen to pieces. I have to jerry rig some wire and frame hooks to keep it open. I'll be buying a new laptop soon, and it won't be an HP.

blackbok
09-20-2009, 3:54 PM
My company uses HP's. They are turds, period. I use one 8 hrs a day 5 days a week and it is torture.

Then I come home and use my Mac. :TFH:

Joe
09-20-2009, 4:20 PM
most dell laptops are complete garbage. I'm lucky to have had mine so long and have it still work.

Quiet
09-20-2009, 5:15 PM
Another vote to avoid HP laptops.

I bought a HP laptop about 6 years ago, it keeps breaking, and they keep sending me new ones to replace the ones that break. Currently, on my third HP laptop (this is the 2nd replacement they've sent me) and it's already having troubles (video card/display issues).

Waiting for Windows 7 to be released before buying a new laptop, cause I don't want to deal with Vista.
Looking at getting a Dell XP (Dell branded Alienware) laptop.

Once I get a new laptop, going to use the "new/old" HP laptop for Wall of Sheep stuff (http://www.wallofsheep.com/).

DiscoBayJoe
09-20-2009, 5:21 PM
Another vote to avoid HP laptops.

I bought a HP laptop about 6 years ago, it keeps breaking, and they keep sending me new ones to replace the ones that break.

You've made it 6 years on one purchase? That's incredible. Laptop's should last 24 months on average. If you get 3 years out of one you are a rockstar. 6 Years on one purchase is like making it 100,000 miles on mud terrain tires or 12 months without buying another firearm! :)

(yes, I know business laptops include a 3-year warranty, but a 3 year old laptop is about as useless as Arnie is right now with the Veto)

capitol
09-20-2009, 7:24 PM
yea 4 billion computers sold...

they must be junk

ldivinag
09-20-2009, 9:38 PM
2 hp desktops...

1 running vista/32 reunning media center 24/7 for over a year now...

now hardware issues besides the usb atsc tuner i bought. and this is a refurb.

1 running vista/64 as a primary work machine. no issues with that.

last time i called hp support, i got some dude in canada. helps to call them late at nite.

locosway
09-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't know why so many people have Vista. I'm a Linux user, and have never had an issue with Vista.

tacticalcity
09-21-2009, 2:05 AM
I have had issues with Dell and Gateway, never had any issues with my 2 HP machines. Both are running Vista, and I have had zero issues with Vista. I'm pretty hard on my computers as well: keep them running 24-7, downloading massive amounts of files only to turn around and delete them, running Photoshop, Media Center, Office, Dreamweaver and so on all the same time, overclocking the video card for gaming, running 4 seperate 1GB harddrives, and so on. I guess you just got a couple of lemons. Mine are excellent.

Blackhawk556
09-21-2009, 10:48 AM
if you read his post you are getting alittle bit of everything. some say dell suck, other say hp suck, others say acer........

honestly every single company will have problems with their hardware and software YES even apple, if they didn't then why do they have a genius bar?
my toshiba from 3 years ago is running great no hardware problems at all. a Key finally fell off but that way my fault, something got stuff in the key and i yanked it out :(.

if you want quality buy E-machines :eek::eek::eek:

Blackhawk556
09-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I have had issues with Dell and Gateway, never had any issues with my 2 HP machines. Both are running Vista, and I have had zero issues with Vista. I'm pretty hard on my computers as well: keep them running 24-7, downloading massive amounts of files only to turn around and delete them, running Photoshop, Media Center, Office, Dreamweaver and so on all the same time, overclocking the video card for gaming, running 4 seperate 1GB harddrives, and so on. I guess you just got a couple of lemons. Mine are excellent.

why are you running 4 separate hard drives??? you need larger capacity HDD:D

Blackhawk556
09-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't know why so many people have Vista. I'm a Linux user, and have never had an issue with Vista.

because new computers come with vista. Everytime I use vista now I feel like it is slower than before. I think it is windows 7 that is working soooo great that it makes it feel a bit slower

RHT447
09-21-2009, 12:47 PM
For my FFL business, I'm still running my state-issued Compaq Evo D300v 1400 megahertz Intel Pentium III PC. Have "upgraded" to max of 512 Megs of memory. OS is Windows 2000 Pro. I use this machine strictly for business. No video edit, no games, no email, no kids. It does everything I need and just keeps hummin' along.

Have a much newer hotrod machine for everything else, including keeping internet demons away.

locosway
09-21-2009, 1:37 PM
Again, I'm not talking down on hardware. Mostly on the HP customer service, or the lack thereof.

viras
09-21-2009, 1:56 PM
You get what you pay for.

FYI - HP Support call centers are located in Costa Rica, Shanghai, and India.

If you got a "sheeple" laptop, you'll most likely be routed to a support team in India.

If you got a "sheeple" desktop, you'll most likely be routed to a support team in Shanghai.

If you got a higher end (business class) laptop or desktop, you'll be routed to a support team in Costa Rica, and if you escalate your issue to L2, you'll be routed to a real life American based out of San Diego or Cupertino.

Good luck.

bombadillo
09-21-2009, 2:07 PM
Yup, bought "the top of the line" model a couple years ago and went back to my built computer from 2001. I am looking currently and considering having dell build me one. I really like cyberpowersystem.com too.

Corbin Dallas
09-21-2009, 9:45 PM
I have no clue what you guys are doing wrong, but I've had just about every laptop in the book. I've been repairing PC's, Laptops and Servers for nearly 15 years now and here's what I can tell you from a professional viewpoint.

Consumer grade anything is CRAP. Do you REALLY think a $399 laptop is going to last longer than the hard drive?

Business grade laptops are the way to go no matter WHO makes them. Of course you PAY for the extras but in the end they are worth it.

DELL was one of the first companies to outsource their service center.

HP's major failing was the purchase of Compaq. So there are a number of years (Carly ones) where the merger of HP and Compaq resulted in one big turd of a computer. Since Mark Hurd has taken over the new HP laptops (business grade) have gotten MUCH better.

Gateway is a JOKE of a computer, period. Might as well get a Packard Bell for a replacement.

If you want a GREAT laptop, buy a Toshiba. Hands down one of the best consumer grade laptops on the market.

BTW, this was typed on my HP TC4400 tablet running Windows 7 RC. Since I repair laptops for a living, I think I know a few things about these devices and yet I choose HP over all others due to their design, performance and reliability.

Theres my .02

locosway
09-21-2009, 9:51 PM
I never claimed their hardware was bad. I simply said their customer service is complete PHAIL.

I've owned a lot of laptops. The best one was an old Dell business laptop running a 500mhz processor. I think it cost me like $300 on Ebay.

The ones with the most problems were MacBooks $1500, and the HP $1500.

Cos
09-21-2009, 10:05 PM
It isn't like I'm trying to argue with a professional, but being in IT for 20+ years and building desktop, servers, and fixing laptops for a good chunk of this time I though I'd add a couple of point to the conversation:

Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, Acer - buncha crap and money waste. Pretty much all of them. Unfortunately, business models are better than a consumer grade, but not that much...

If you want a GREAT laptop, buy a Toshiba. Hands down one of the best consumer grade laptops on the market.

I'm surprised that you haven't mention IBM laptops at all? Are they really that bad? And oh, that's the good one - Apple?

BTW, this was typed on my HP TC4400 tablet running Windows 7 RC. Since I repair laptops for a living, I think I know a few things about these devices and yet I choose HP over all others due to their design, performance and reliability.

And btw - I wouldn't talk about reliability running Windows 7 :D

Blackhawk556
09-21-2009, 11:13 PM
It isn't like I'm trying to argue with a professional, but being in IT for 20+ years and building desktop, servers, and fixing laptops for

have you even used windows 7 or are you just shooting it down because it's by microsoft?? it's hard to tell since gave no background info. I've been using windows 7 since January and the only problem I had was getting a driver for my webcam. After 30min of searching it worked

calixt0
09-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I have had many dells and many hp's over the years of work. I prefer my hp to any of the dells. Dell support will also be in india and will sell you something other than what you asked for to repair it and will charge you to return it. the company I worked with for 12 years had used dells (i installed for sleep labs over the last 5 years) and on average 1 out of every 10 were bad machines and would not come up past a blue screen. Mind you this was with Gold tech support and they over and over refused to set out a tech (as is the agreement with gold tech support). I will never buy another dell even if it means buying 10 hp's.

I am using an hp that was bought at best buy for 299 about a year ago and it works great and is pretty good computer.

JDay
09-22-2009, 1:06 AM
We waited 6 more months for our data off the old hard drive but never got it. We lost a lot of pictures and school work because of that.

That's your fault for not keeping backups, all OEMs will re-image the drive before returning the machine.

I'm surprised that you haven't mention IBM laptops at all? Are they really that bad? And oh, that's the good one - Apple?

Maybe you haven't heard the news but IBM sold off their PC division to Lenovo a number of years ago.

Now I don't see why you guys are having problem with HP (been using them for 10 years) but in my experience most problems are the result of user error and physical abuse.

locosway
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I had backups for everything except what happened that past month. The HDD wasn't bad, there was nothing wrong with it. The laptop was 3 months old and the video card came un-soldered from the mobo.

Corbin Dallas
09-22-2009, 2:23 PM
It isn't like I'm trying to argue with a professional, but being in IT for 20+ years and building desktop, servers, and fixing laptops for a good chunk of this time I though I'd add a couple of point to the conversation:

Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, Acer - buncha crap and money waste. Pretty much all of them. Unfortunately, business models are better than a consumer grade, but not that much...

Have you used Win7? I've been testing it since the first of the year with NO issues at all.

Why didn't I mention IBM? or Apple?

IBM is now Leveno - CHINA You think HP has bad support? Wait till you have to call them...

Apple - $$$$$$$$$$$ ChaCHING!!!!! Apple owners buy apple products and they are die hards. I do not care for Apple products (unfortunately I own an Iphone...) but they do make a good product.

My ***** with apple is the lack of service for those of us who DIO. (Think DIY).

Want to upgrade the hard drive - WRONG, send it to Apple.
Need a new battery for your iPod - BUZZZZZ, sorry, send it to Apple.

WTF is that??? Customer service my butt, more like "Take your money now, and take more money later" service.

Oh, and don't get me started with the "experts" at the Mac Stores... LOL

Cos
09-23-2009, 7:44 PM
Was busy an couldn't answer earlier...

Have you used Win7? I've been testing it since the first of the year with NO issues at all.
Well, you've mentioned reliability. And reliability is a stressful load during quite long period of time. So, from that standpoint: how often you have to reboot your system (because of updates or crashes)? What is the typical utilization of that laptop of yours? Internet browsing, emails, documents? Or code development/compilation, heavy product testing? This should give you a very good example of how intensive the resources are allocated/freed, etc.

A common benchmark tests are no good for such things - they are short lived.

IBM is now Leveno - CHINA You think HP has bad support? Wait till you have to call them...

Why? It just works... My current X41 is in use for 3+years and I do reboot it like 3 times a year when I build and install new kernel ;-)

Apple - $$$$$$$$$$$ ChaCHING!!!!! Apple owners buy apple products and they are die hards. ...

The initial question was: what laptops are good. We aren't talking about incompetence of a particular store's personnel nor how hard it is to upgrade a laptop at home. We are talking about their reliability and the bang for a buck.

BTW, you can upgrade Apple's laptops at home if you need to. I did HDD and memory upgrades for my MacBook Pro a couple of times - no problem at all :-) And ThinkPads are just great DIY computers too. E.g. replacing build-in WiFi card - easy stuff; memory/disk upgrade - not a problem. To be continued...

Corbin Dallas
09-23-2009, 8:22 PM
Was busy an couldn't answer earlier...

Well, you've mentioned reliability. And reliability is a stressful load during quite long period of time. So, from that standpoint: how often you have to reboot your system (because of updates or crashes)? What is the typical utilization of that laptop of yours? Internet browsing, emails, documents? Or code development/compilation, heavy product testing? This should give you a very good example of how intensive the resources are allocated/freed, etc.

A common benchmark tests are no good for such things - they are short lived.

Access database work, streaming video to my 46" tv, general internet browsing, gmail, ebay, photobucket, works, school, etc.

2GHz C2D proc, 4GB ram. Win7x64, Office 07.

Last time I rebooted was when I shut it down for the night. But since then it's been running non stop downloading torrents. 8 days now straight.

Why? It just works... My current X41 is in use for 3+years and I do reboot it like 3 times a year when I build and install new kernel ;-)

Guess you are the only one to own a X41 and not have hardware problems such as a bad motherboard.

The initial question was: what laptops are good. We aren't talking about incompetence of a particular store's personnel nor how hard it is to upgrade a laptop at home. We are talking about their reliability and the bang for a buck.

BTW, you can upgrade Apple's laptops at home if you need to. I did HDD and memory upgrades for my MacBook Pro a couple of times - no problem at all :-) And ThinkPads are just great DIY computers too. E.g. replacing build-in WiFi card - easy stuff; memory/disk upgrade - not a problem. To be continued...

Good is in the eye of the beholder.

Good to me doesn't mean my laptop costs the same as a used car.

JDay
09-24-2009, 6:27 AM

That explains why you're bashing Windows 7, bet you haven't even used it. Btw, true Linux geeks know that you can update the kernel without rebooting using ksplice. Gotta love the stuff that comes out of MIT.

http://www.ksplice.com/

locosway
09-24-2009, 9:01 AM
Yeah, but on a home computer it's easier to reboot.

EBR Works
09-25-2009, 8:01 AM
I have sold and deployed hundreds of HP Business Desktop and laptop units over the past 4 years and my clients have been very pleased with their reliability and performance. That being said, their consumer machines definitely have issues.

easyeye
09-25-2009, 9:45 AM
Asus makes good laptops, and they look nice too!

paul0660
09-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Sheesh. Let's see if we can get agreement on something else.....blond, brunette, or redhead?

Ford, Gm, or Dodge?

9mm, .40, or .45?

SeanCasey
09-25-2009, 10:05 AM
paul0660, you forgot AK vs AR.

oh and

Glock vs (your favorite brand here)

Corbin Dallas
09-25-2009, 3:09 PM
paul0660, you forgot AK vs AR.

oh and

Glock vs (your favorite brand here)

AR and...

There is NO other brand....

:TFH::43:

NRAhighpowershooter
09-25-2009, 3:26 PM
well I guess i'm against the odds.. I have had my HP Pavillion for the last 8yrs with no problems at all and my Toshiba laptop for the last 1 1/2yrs also with no problems.....

Rascal
10-12-2009, 8:56 PM
Does anyone have any issues with Alienware other than price?
How good are their laptops?

locosway
10-12-2009, 9:14 PM
Alienware kinda sold out when Bestbuy picked them up. I can't say enough good things about Dell laptops personally.

Honestly, things break, it's part of life. What you want to look for is a company who will back their broken product and make it right.

jmlivingston
10-12-2009, 9:57 PM
Alienware was bought by Dell a while back.

locosway
10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Alienware was bought by Dell a while back.

Yep, and I really like Dell's support.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-04-2009, 9:58 PM
If you want a GREAT laptop, buy a Toshiba. Hands down one of the best consumer grade laptops on the market.Theres my .02

Beg to differ. Example: Toshiba Qosmio. My wife's dead Qosmio is still sitting in the box out in the garage. Integrated video board failure - a "known failure" - that Toshiba refused to fix or replace.

Toshiba can kiss my glutei. That's why I have a Dell.

Alaric
11-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Beg to differ. Example: Toshiba Qosmio. My wife's dead Qosmio is still sitting in the box out in the garage. Integrated video board failure - a "known failure" - that Toshiba refused to fix or replace.

Toshiba can kiss my glutei. That's why I have a Dell.

Interesting. I'm typing this on my 4.5 year old Toshiba Qosmio G25 laptop.

I also had a video failure (actually IIRC it was the LCD) after two years, but luckily I had the extended service plan from bestbuy that covered the fix. Paid for itself right there. New battery was bonus.

Did a RAM upgrade to 2 gigs as well, but other than that she's running great. I even run Civ 4 on her (yep, still addicted to that game). Not many laptops that can run Civ 4.

lehn20
11-05-2009, 1:08 AM
Okay!

So what laptop brands are still worth buyinh?.

I dont wanna buy another 5K Toughbook again!

stphnman20
11-05-2009, 1:19 AM
Okay!

So what laptop brands are still worth buyinh?.

I dont wanna buy another 5K Toughbook again!
IBM/Lenovo!!!

lehn20
11-05-2009, 4:41 AM
Thats Chinese now!

Black Majik
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
LOL, reminds me of this thread...

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/514100691

JimmyD
11-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I bought my thinkpad when it was still IBM about 5 years ago!! Great customer service and I get to talk to real Americans!! Its old still runs like a champ, and I treat it rough too!

My family also owns a X60 tablet and an X40 tablet, zero problems there. I have another friend who owns TWO x41s!

From what I can tell, Lenovo has gone down a LITTLE bit, but I'm pretty sure the customer service is still in the USA and provides very good support!

F4E Phantom
11-05-2009, 10:31 AM
this laptop,a HP Pavilion needed to be sent back 2 times. Luckily I bought the SC at Best Buy.

Brianguy
11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
My dv9000 had a couple problems. The mobo died in 11 months but it was covered under warranty and was fixed within a week. There was a problem with the screen hinge and since it was a defect, it was fixed for free. Each time I needed to send it in, I was sent an overnight box overnight. Understanding their India tech support is my only problem with HP. After almost 3 years of use, I couldn't be happier with my laptop.

OlderThanDirt
11-06-2009, 3:09 PM
We used to buy Dell computers as a government contractor, which gave us a bunch of extra perks. Dell quality control seems to have declined and they load their computers with tons of cr@p. So, we have been experimenting with other options.

We now build all our desktops and have virtually no problems. We don't need no stinking customer support, although we keep plenty of beer in the fridge just in case. Assembling a computer doesn't take very long, the configuration is exactly what you want with no wasted hardware, and there is no junk software. These computers do exactly what they are designed for; crunching numbers, processing sonar imagery, processing underwater video and photographs and producing very large graphics files.

For laptops, we have been using Apple and Sony as we phase out the last of the Dell computers. We tried HP; MAJOR FAIL. One failure almost right out of the box, and another within a matter of months. The last two Dell laptops (XPS) had horrible graphic card heat problems and eventual graphic card and/or motherboard failure: FAIL. Sure, after talking to some nice Indians we got the computers repaired or replaced, but we want reliability (time jerking off your computer is lost money, sort of like what I'm doing now on Calguns). The Apple laptops have a few quirks that we have had to work through in order to accommodate some software that we use, but have been 100 percent reliable. The Sony VAIO laptops have also been 100 percent reliable, although the one I bought three years ago has a noisy graphics card fan that should be replaced. Since I only use it offshore, its still fine.

I can't say anything about customer support for Apple or Sony since we haven't had to call them, yet.

locosway
11-06-2009, 5:23 PM
So how do you deal with the Sony rootkits?

JDay
11-06-2009, 5:34 PM
For laptops, we have been using Apple and Sony as we phase out the last of the Dell computers. We tried HP; MAJOR FAIL. One failure almost right out of the box, and another within a matter of months. The last two Dell laptops (XPS) had horrible graphic card heat problems and eventual graphic card and/or motherboard failure: FAIL. Sure, after talking to some nice Indians we got the computers repaired or replaced, but we want reliability (time jerking off your computer is lost money, sort of like what I'm doing now on Calguns). The Apple laptops have a few quirks that we have had to work through in order to accommodate some software that we use, but have been 100 percent reliable. The Sony VAIO laptops have also been 100 percent reliable, although the one I bought three years ago has a noisy graphics card fan that should be replaced. Since I only use it offshore, its still fine.

I can't say anything about customer support for Apple or Sony since we haven't had to call them, yet.

Apple and Sony both suck when it comes to customer support and I know for a fact Apple doesn't have business support. The problem you had with both HP and Dell is that you were purchasing consumer class machines and not their business class which are far superior. Take a look at these and I bet you'll be pleased.

http://www.hp.com/sbso/index.html

radioactivelego
11-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Please stop buying them so I don't have to reformat your computer with a virgin copy of XP because your $400 computer was really $800 before they were paid $5-20 per computer to put ****ty bloatware on the thing. Add up the difference and you will understand why it takes 4 minutes for a boot.

OlderThanDirt
11-08-2009, 9:24 AM
So how do you deal with the Sony rootkits?

Rootkit removal tool.

OlderThanDirt
11-08-2009, 9:26 AM
Apple and Sony both suck when it comes to customer support and I know for a fact Apple doesn't have business support. The problem you had with both HP and Dell is that you were purchasing consumer class machines and not their business class which are far superior. Take a look at these and I bet you'll be pleased.

http://www.hp.com/sbso/index.html

HP and Dell computers were purchased through business class on corporate accounts. Still not pleased.

JDay
11-08-2009, 3:20 PM
HP and Dell computers were purchased through business class on corporate accounts. Still not pleased.

That XPS you mentioned is not a business class Dell.

srslyguyzwtf
11-08-2009, 4:13 PM
Every HP Product I have had has been very solid. When my wife was looking for a laptop she wanted on like my HP but we couldn't find one. She ended up getting a Dell and 6 months later the screen died.

One really annoying thing with HP though, is every new computer they sell is so preloaded with BS that you have to a format of a fresh OS just to have it running like it actually should. When I pay $700 for a damn laptop I don't a bunch of useless ad crap hogging all my systems resources!

Dell on the other hand had maybe a AOL link on the desktop and that was it. I was very impressed when I fired her laptop up for the first time.

The HP junk didn't get in my way to much since I just formatted it and put a new copy of vista (now running 7) on it.

Daffsbro
11-08-2009, 4:52 PM
HP is great, I have tons of HP computers and sell them to customers. The customer service is always great. The first people you talk to know nothing, so I act like I know that and always get transfered to someone that knows more like a supervisor. Most people just talk to the first people and never ask to talk to someone that knows what they are doing.

OlderThanDirt
11-08-2009, 9:11 PM
That XPS you mentioned is not a business class Dell.

I could be wrong about the specific model. All of our computers from Dell had to be purchased from their business series computers to get the federal government contractor rate and required warranty.

JDay
11-09-2009, 2:00 AM
I could be wrong about the specific model. All of our computers from Dell had to be purchased from their business series computers to get the federal government contractor rate and required warranty.

Naw, just have to buy them through their government sales division. They'll still sell you anything.

OlderThanDirt
11-09-2009, 8:05 PM
Naw, just have to buy them through their government sales division. They'll still sell you anything.

Naw, ordered through the business website, which definitely limited the selection of models. Either way, the last several computers ordered through Dell pretty much sucked, which was disappointing given the number of Dell computers we had purchased over the years. In Dell's defense, Bill Gates (and his software) sucks!

locosway
11-09-2009, 8:07 PM
Naw, ordered through the business website, which definitely limited the selection of models. Either way, the last several computers ordered through Dell pretty much sucked, which was disappointing given the number of Dell computers we had purchased over the years. In Dell's defense, Bill Gates (and his software) sucks!

There's nothing that ties anyone to Windows. Dell will sell most of their computers without an OS or with Linux installed.

OlderThanDirt
11-09-2009, 10:20 PM
There's nothing that ties anyone to Windows. Dell will sell most of their computers without an OS or with Linux installed.

True, but try and survive in business without using Microsoft products, especially when clients demand electronic copies of their reports in MS Word. At least I can run Unix on the computers I use for numerical modeling.

locosway
11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Many companies use Linux and OSS and they survive. Many foreign governments use Linux and OSS and they survive.

It can be done, it is being done. The only limit is how much time you're willing to put into freeing yourself. Linux isn't like it was 5 years ago. It's a competitive OS that can go head to head with any other OS.

JDay
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Bill Gates hasn't run Microsoft for a few years now, Steve Ballmer took over as CEO.

tacticalcity
11-10-2009, 1:55 PM
Never had any issues with my 3 HP computers, which are 3-6 years old (bought them over that time frame seperately). Had troubles with Gateway and Dell before.

OlderThanDirt
11-10-2009, 3:06 PM
Bill Gates hasn't run Microsoft for a few years now, Steve Ballmer took over as CEO.

But the root of all evil started in Bill Gates' garage long, long ago.

OlderThanDirt
11-10-2009, 3:16 PM
Many companies use Linux and OSS and they survive. Many foreign governments use Linux and OSS and they survive.

It can be done, it is being done. The only limit is how much time you're willing to put into freeing yourself. Linux isn't like it was 5 years ago. It's a competitive OS that can go head to head with any other OS.

Time is money. I'm not going to create more work for myself to be free of Microsoft products. When the end product has to be in a Microsoft-compatible format, its still easier to use the Microsoft product, bugs and all. Sure, OpenOffice claims 100 percent compatibility, but it isn't. I already use alternative operating systems for tasks that are unrelated to the usual office environment. Thankfully, Microsoft has never been able to overtake the scientific number crunching platforms.

locosway
11-10-2009, 3:19 PM
Time is money. I'm not going to create more work for myself to be free of Microsoft products. When the end product has to be in a Microsoft-compatible format, its still easier to use the Microsoft product, bugs and all. Sure, OpenOffice claims 100 percent compatibility, but it isn't. I already use alternative operating systems for tasks that are unrelated to the usual office environment. Thankfully, Microsoft has never been able to overtake the scientific number crunching platforms.

Openoffice works just fine for all tasks. Now, if we would just accept open formats as the standard we'd all be in a better place. Instead we continue to use and accept Microsoft as the standard.

As long as your money is worth less than your time you'll be a slave to the "bugs and all" that you claim you hate. The money that can be saved on not only initial costs of moving to Linux and OSS, but the overall maintenance and troubleshooting could be very well worth it for most companies. Not to mention you never have to worry about a Microsoft Audit.

SeanCasey
11-17-2009, 9:03 AM
Thought I would throw this out there:

http://gizmodo.com/5406415/laptop-reliability-study-asus-and-toshiba-come-out-on-top

Look who came in last.

HappyG
11-18-2009, 8:04 AM
So let's all run out and buy an Asus. Or a Honda for that matter. Or a Glock.

All things break. I've run HP for a few years and everything's been fine..not much difference from a rig that I built prior to owning this one. Funny how one bad experience will turn people away so quickly. Every manufacturer has a % of defects that can't always be caught by QC. It's just the way it is.

locosway
11-18-2009, 8:06 AM
So let's all run out and buy an Asus. Or a Honda for that matter. Or a Glock.

All things break. I've run HP for a few years and everything's been fine..not much difference from a rig that I built prior to owning this one. Funny how one bad experience will turn people away so quickly. Every manufacturer has a % of defects that can't always be caught by QC. It's just the way it is.

So, after having the worst customer service experience of my lifetime I should run out and spend another $1500 with the same company because it was just an anomaly?

Dell has always treated me right when it came to customer service. HP doesn't have a clue how to treat their customers.

JDay
11-18-2009, 1:24 PM
So, after having the worst customer service experience of my lifetime I should run out and spend another $1500 with the same company because it was just an anomaly?

Dell has always treated me right when it came to customer service. HP doesn't have a clue how to treat their customers.

I've been using HP laptops for around 7 years. In that time I've had to call them once to get a defective power brick replaced under warranty. I had it in my hand the next afternoon. Don't know what your gripe is.

CnCFunFactory
11-18-2009, 3:48 PM
Short story... bought an HP for my business. Had it 12 days. Ran an update (automatically) from HP and screwed the bios up and killed the computer. That's right their own update killed it! Now running an iMac with boot camp for the pc side.

locosway
11-18-2009, 5:59 PM
I've been using HP laptops for around 7 years. In that time I've had to call them once to get a defective power brick replaced under warranty. I had it in my hand the next afternoon. Don't know what your gripe is.

Read the first post and you'll know my gripe.

Fat_Rat
11-24-2009, 2:03 AM
:p

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/154921

1 in 3 laptops die in first three years
Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31PM EST
See Comments (741)

Buzz up! So your new laptop computer died in inside of a year. "I'll never buy a computer from [insert manufacturer name here] again!" I've heard the protests time and time again.

Yeah, maybe you got a lemon, but no matter which brand you bought, you truly are not alone in this situation: An analysis of 30,000 new laptops from SquareTrade, which provides aftermarket warranty coverage for electronics products, has found that in the first three years of ownership, nearly a third of laptops (31 percent) will fail.

That's actually better than I would have expected based on my experience and observations on how people treat their equipment.

SquareTrade has more detailed information (the full PDF of the company's study is available here) on the research on its website. But here are some highlights about how, why, and which laptops fail:

> 20.4 percent of failures are due to hardware malfunctions. 10.6 percent are due to drops, spills, or other accidental damage.

> Netbooks have a roughly 20 percent higher failure rate due to hardware malfunctions than standard laptops. The more you pay for your laptop, the less likely it is to fail in general (maybe because you're more careful with it?).

> The most reliable companies? A shocker: Toshiba and Asus, both with below a 16 percent failure rate due to hardware malfunction.

> The least reliable brands? Acer, Gateway, and HP. HP's hardware malfunction rate, the worst in SquareTrade's analysis, is a whopping 25.6 percent.
None of the numbers are overly surprising. As SquareTrade notes, "the typical laptop endures more use and abuse than nearly any other consumer electronic device (with the possible exception of cell phones)," so failures are really inevitable.

Want to keep your notebook running for longer than a few years? Ensure your laptop is as drop-proofed as possible (use a padded bag or case, route cords so they won't be tripped on, lock children in another room), and protect it as best you can from heat and dust

dfxjedi
11-27-2009, 9:38 PM
We've had a HP here for about 3 or 4 years now,no problems at all,at any point throughout these years.
We even bought it used.