PDA

View Full Version : A question on filling out the 03 FFL application...

Shiloh13
09-19-2009, 3:38 PM
Ok, so I received my 03FFL application, and I am sitting here filling it out. One section has me a little confused...

Section 10 of the application, "Nonimmigrant Alien Certification of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922 (g)(5)(B)". I understand this may have been a separate form in the past? Anyways, being born, bred, and raised in California do I need to fill this section out? It doesn't seem to be the case, but I have seen other sites saying fill this form/section out regardless. Not being an alien to the US, I don't really understand why/how.

Section 10, question C also pertains to a hunting license or permit. Right below it says that if you answer "no" to this question, you probably can not own a firearm and therefor can not become an FFL. This is still tied into section 10, the Nonimmigrant Alien section so again I don't see it pertaining to me, but I really don't want to leave any reason for the BATFE to make this process any longer than it needs to be.

Any help or clarification from someone that has filled out the current form and received their license recently would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, only 1 week from request of the app to receipt. Not bad considering some of the horror stories I have read from folks waiting 6-8 weeks for their apps.

Thanks as always.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-19-2009, 3:51 PM
"All nonimmigrant aliens listed in item 9 must complete the following information certifying compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)"

Are you one of the nonimmigrant aliens that you listed in item 9 on your application. :p

Shiloh13
09-19-2009, 4:17 PM
I saw that, but a couple of other sites say to place my own name in 10 A. I have filled out a couple of other forms today and I can't seem to get my eyes uncrossed. I think I am just tired and need a nap! :sleeping:

Mssr. Eleganté
09-19-2009, 4:49 PM
When ATF first came out with the "Certificate of Compliance" that was on the separate form, you still had to fill in your name and sign it, even if you were a U.S. citizen. It had a section where you "certified to your citizenship". That is probably where all the confusion comes from. The latest C&R application has the certification of compliance built in, and it is only for non-immigrant aliens to certify compliance.

Shiloh13
09-19-2009, 6:24 PM
Mssr. Elegante,
Thanks for the clarification.
That makes sense with what I have seen.

As always, I appreciate any and all help I get from the fine folks on this site.

sevensix2x51
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
quick question, how long did it take you to get the paperwork in the mail? thanks...

olhunter
09-22-2009, 1:03 PM
I left that section blank and had no problems or delays.

PolishMike
09-22-2009, 1:06 PM
quick question, how long did it take you to get the paperwork in the mail? thanks...

2-3 months.

Shiloh13
09-22-2009, 1:45 PM

Actually, I requested it via the internet form request process on Thursday, and received it on Friday of the following week.
That was last week.
Surprised the hell out of me! :eek:

Shiloh13
09-22-2009, 1:54 PM
Ok. I just found my request confirmation and I actually requested it at 23:40:40 on September 11 and received it in the mail on September 18.

One week exactly.

I just sent it back in today... waiting patiently...

Ordered from this address.
http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

cryoguy
09-22-2009, 2:04 PM
same here... just waiting

sevensix2x51
09-28-2009, 12:03 PM
wow that was faster than i thought, considering i wasnt even sure if i filled out the online form right...

i have a question on filling out a section also, and i figured id post here rather than start a whole new thread...
concerning the "position and social security number" box in section 9, what does the "position" mean? is that only for businesses? should i put "applicant" or "private collector" or "owner" in there?
and then do i use that same position nomenclature for my "title" in the signature line? thanks for your insight...

Shiloh13
09-28-2009, 7:01 PM
I followed the advise from this website:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp

F7CR Form items:
(use a ball point ink pen and print or type to fill out the form)

Items 1-6: Self explanatory. Use full names and do not use abbreviations in addresses.

Item 7: The majority of us will check “individual”. When I asked ATF about other category examples they gave museums as a corporation and a partnership as being held by several friends. It still lacks distinct clarity.

Item 8: If you want to pay via credit card, fill this section out. Make sure that you use the billing address of the credit card if it is different from where you want the license address to go to. Make sure that you sign the authorization to allow ATF to charge the card.

Item 9: For each person

1. Make sure you use your FULL name, no initials.

2. Social Security number and position. In the case of an individual, you can use “owner”. I would think that “collector” would work also.

3. Give your FULL mailing address. If you can, do not use abbreviations at all. If you lived at other addresses in the past 5 years, you will need to note them as well.

4. Give country of citizenship. Note: if you are a nonimmigrant alien, you will need to complete items in #10. For a definition of nonimmigrant alien, see the back of the form. If you are a US citizen, you will not need to complete ALL of Item #10

5. Give place of birth

6. Date of birth

7. Check your race/ethnicity. It appears this is MANDATORY, not simply requested.

8. Sex (yes please!)

9. Residence phone number, with area code.

Item 10: Fill in “A.” with your name (if you are a US citizen) then skip to Item 11. If you have nonimmigrant status you will need to fill out parts B and C as well.

Item 11. This is a new section that asks about previous FFL issuances. If you mark any YES, you will need to supply a separate sheet answering the question in detail.

Item 12&13. Make sure you check EACH of the line items either Yes or No. You may need to attach a separate explanatory page if required.

Item 14. Make sure that you check (Initial) EACH of the boxes. This is where you agree that you will check on your local laws, you will follow your local laws and also contact your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) (sheriff, chief etc.), which you will have to provide the NAME of and ADDRESS of.

Item 15. This certification is different and much more in depth compared to the old form. Whereas before you were simply stating you certify that the application was true to the best of your knowledge, the new form goes on to give ATF authorization to perform a background check as well as access employment, military, medical and police records. MAKE SURE YOU SIGN AND DATE THE FORM.

I hope this helps.

Brianguy
10-02-2009, 7:17 PM
wow that was faster than i thought, considering i wasnt even sure if i filled out the online form right...

i have a question on filling out a section also, and i figured id post here rather than start a whole new thread...
concerning the "position and social security number" box in section 9, what does the "position" mean? is that only for businesses? should i put "applicant" or "private collector" or "owner" in there?
and then do i use that same position nomenclature for my "title" in the signature line? thanks for your insight...

I was wondering the same thing.

Shiloh13
10-02-2009, 7:44 PM
As stated in the above post, I followed the advice in the above post:

2. Social Security number and position. In the case of an individual, you can use “owner”. I would think that “collector” would work also.

I used owner, but I would imagine that individual would also be acceptable.

Brianguy
10-03-2009, 12:30 AM
As stated in the above post, I followed the advice in the above post:

I used owner, but I would imagine that individual would also be acceptable.

I use Collector or Owner for my title under section 15? Sorry, just wanna make sure:D