PDA

View Full Version : FN 5.7 on the approved list

BigRich
03-23-2005, 11:13 PM
The FN 5.7 "IOM" is approved for sale in this state. Will wonders never cease?

icormba
03-23-2005, 11:27 PM
oh my! buy it now before someone finds out!
too bad I can't afford it http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

50 Freak
03-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Have you seen the price of the ammo on this???

It's close to 2 bucks a round. I don't even pay that much for my 50 bmg.

leo@csuhayward.edu
03-24-2005, 2:51 AM
crap... googled the vendors.

all offer 3 20-round mags only...

i wonder if a local vendor has to get 10 rounders... lol...

RRangel
03-24-2005, 5:56 AM
I'm heading to the gun shop today.

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Richard
03-24-2005, 6:03 AM
here is your 10 round clips and ammo.

10 round mags (http://www.impactguns.com/store/fn_fiveseven.html)

uzigalil
03-24-2005, 7:51 AM
I have been trying to find one since last night, any one have any luck??

icormba
03-24-2005, 8:56 AM
so this doesn't make sense?

"Note: The USG Model is the only civilian legal model of the Five-seveN at this time. The IOM Model is available for agency purchase on a Purchase Order only. "

does this mean we can't order the one on the approved list?

Rumpled
03-24-2005, 9:12 AM
Bigrich, you beat me to it. Been looking at the list daily, but hadn't looked yet today.
Damn, my wife IS going to kill me when I buy this one.
Gotta get it just because "they" don't want us to have it.
Since it's my first anniversary today, I'll call it my paper (4473) gift to myself.
Just what I need, a $900 handgun with $1 ammo.

Anyone think Turners will get some?

As far as the IOM, I think I've seen some on Gunbroker, are all of us CA boys gonna be bidding those up now?

GTKrockeTT
03-24-2005, 11:40 AM
great...one more firearm to buy. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

xsquid
03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Here's one with for $899 and 3 20 round mags. Possibley get it discounted since you can't get the mags. I've also bought from Jeff previously, no problems. 5.7 (http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=108708)

bwiese
03-24-2005, 12:11 PM
It's a nice toy.

But I can't understand buying a gun w/expensive ammo and which might become an 'orphan' if ammo supply dries up. (Not everyone reloads!)

This is why, even though it'd be fun, I haven't bought a 17HMR rifle -- it's cheaper to shoot 223!!

Less-common calibers can be a problem. If you wanna buy ammo at Big5, etc. at the last minute, you're gonna be hard-pressed to find some of these rounds. Heck, 10mm and .357Sig are sometimes hard to find - even .45LC is not that common in such stores.

Bill W
San Jose

uzigalil
03-24-2005, 12:16 PM
XSQUID YOU can only get the the fn IOM model

imported_lunde
03-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Here's the deal. I spoke with Nate at the California DOJ, and Bob at FNH USA earlier today. What is approved is the IOM version, which was submitted three months ago. At the time, the USG version was not in the US. Now it is, and it has been submitted for approval, and I was told that it should be listed on the certified list as early as next week.

icormba
03-24-2005, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
It's a nice toy.

But I can't understand buying a gun w/expensive ammo and which might become an 'orphan' if ammo supply dries up. (Not everyone reloads!)

Bill W
San Jose

same reason I didn't buy a .50

50 Freak
03-24-2005, 2:18 PM
50 bmg ammo is plentiful. It is still a round used by our military and is used world wide. The surplus on that will never dry up.

Also surplus for 50 can be had for about a buck a round. You pay more than that for some of your speciality hunting/defense rounds.

bwiese
03-24-2005, 2:28 PM
50BMG ammo is plentiful. It is still a round used by our military and is used world wide. The surplus on that will never dry up.

Yep, that's why I favor guns in military calibers or calibers that are commercially very successful. (Anyone remember .356TSW???)

surplus for 50 can be had for about a buck a round. You pay more than that for some of your speciality hunting/defense rounds

Yep. Federal Gold Medal Match 169gr 308 is around $20/box for 20rnds. (Bulk pack cheaper).

Big5 wanted $26 for box of Remington ( green+ yellow box) .45LC JSPs...

Bill W
San Jose

gobabygo
03-24-2005, 2:39 PM
Wow that is a shock that they're Cali approved. I've seen a few for sale on various boards and never really gave it much of a thought. But now... I dunno, maybe.

I thought that the 5.7 is an AP round. Isn't that a no-no here for handguns?

imported_lunde
03-24-2005, 3:11 PM
The civilian load is called SS196SR, and uses the 40gr V-Max bullet. I think it is the same as the .224 40gr V-Max bullet, which I use with great success against prairie dogs in .223 rifles. 50 rounds for less than $20.

Dr. EBR
03-24-2005, 3:28 PM
What's the difference (other than the rails, trigger guard) between the IOM and USG?

RRangel
03-24-2005, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Ken Lunde:
The civilian load is called SS196SR, and uses the 40gr V-Max bullet. I think it is the same as the .224 40gr V-Max bullet, which I use with great success against prairie dogs in .223 rifles. 50 rounds for less than $20.

No the AP rounds were never on the market to be sold to civilians. That would be the SS190. The SS192 hollow point that all the hoopla in the media circus was about is the ammo that was originally intended for the civilian market, only it can penetrate some class II body armor because of it's low weight and high velocity.

The thing is there are other handgun rounds that can penetrate the same thing, but our anti-gun whiners need something to cry about.

So FN finally caved and took SS192 off of the market. They're going with ammo that is twice the weight to lower velocity.

RRangel
03-24-2005, 6:02 PM
Did they put it on the CA list for liability reasons? They won't sell the IOM to civilians but if you're not in California you can buy a P90 civilian version which is a semi P90 with a longer barrel.

It doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure we can get an IOM anyway because it's not illegal. The restriction looks like it's from FN just like them not selling the SS192 to civilians anymore.

Rumpled
03-25-2005, 11:55 AM
So, who's buying?
I've got a line on one for $840 shipped and will try to meet with my FFL on Monday. Still looking for better deals.

uzigalil
03-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Rumpled, Where did you find yours if I might ask?

Trader Jack
03-25-2005, 1:23 PM
Sorry to say the FN 5-7 M10 IS NOT ON the DOJ Approved list.

uzigalil
03-25-2005, 5:10 PM
What is the fn 5.7 m10 ???

I only see fn offering the USG and IOM models now.

imported_lunde
03-25-2005, 7:00 PM
Ditto about the M10...

Anonymous Coward
03-25-2005, 7:16 PM
FYI: CDNN has 5.7 10rd magazines on sale for 9.99$:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/specials.html

RRangel
03-27-2005, 5:39 PM
Well I finally read every post in this thread. If they submitted the pistol 3 months ago then maybe FN was just trying to get them here period.

I don't understand why the IOM would be restriced. Marketing to law enforcement?

uzigalil
03-28-2005, 10:51 AM
The IOM is being sold to anyone. HAs anyone ordered one yet or purchased some ammo?

Trader Jack
03-28-2005, 8:01 PM
Uzigalil: The FN 5-7 10M is not on the California DOJ Approved list.

You say it being sold to anyone, PROVE IT.

uzigalil
03-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by uzigalil:
Trader, check the doj list it has the Iom right at the top as being approved and there for sale on guns america and other boards. Now if you mean the 10m, I never said it was nor do I know what model that is.

stv
03-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Trader Jack:
Uzigalil: The FN 5-7 10M is not on the California DOJ Approved list.

Are you sure?

Click this link to see a list of pistols that have recently been added to the CA DOJ approved list.

clicky clicky (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/recentlyadded.pdf)

Note that the gun at the top of the list reads as follows:
FN 5.7 I.O.M. / Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.8" 5.7x28mm 03/23/2006

So unless the DOJ's website is horribly, horribly misguided, it would seem that the FN Five-seveN IOM is indeed on the approved list - and it would therefore appear that you are wrong. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Trader Jack
03-29-2005, 9:22 AM
Ah what you guys and gals may not know is that there is two lists. One for the public and one for the dealers. The DROS list does NOT list this firearm. A check with the DOJ had this result. "DOJ considers the FN 5-7 10M as an assault weapon and can only be sold to law enforcement with a special and exactly defined letter from that department."

GTKrockeTT
03-29-2005, 9:38 AM
i think you need to give it up jack

imported_lunde
03-29-2005, 9:39 AM
Concur.

50 Freak
03-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey Jack, why you so willing to give something up that is obviously on the DOJ's own approved handguns list?

RRangel
03-29-2005, 5:42 PM
The FN Five Seven I O M that's with an "I" not a "1" is on the California approved handguns for sale list clear as day.

I was almost confused there for a moment. I take it there isn't a 10M Five Seven you really mean the IOM?

RRangel
03-29-2005, 5:45 PM
Ah what you guys and gals may not know is that there is two lists. One for the public and one for the dealers. The DROS list does NOT list this firearm. A check with the DOJ had this result. "DOJ considers the FN 5-7 10M as an assault weapon and can only be sold to law enforcement with a special and exactly defined letter from that department."

That would be against the law wouldn't it?

What gives the California Department of Justice power to make any handgun illegal? It has passed the so called "safety" testing in order to be legal for sale.

If this were the case the anti's wouldn't need to get a bill sent to the governor and signed. They'd just make them all illegal because the CA DOJ says so.

Josh
03-30-2005, 12:44 AM
why would it be on the safety list as an AW when police departments are not obligated to follow the list.

and it does not meet any definition of an AW anywhere.

Rumpled
03-30-2005, 12:18 PM
The plot thickens
uzigalil - sorry for the lag, your answer is here also
After seeing th IOM approved, I started searching for one. Checked the auction sites, lowest just about $900. Checked on some of the larger gun related forums, about the same there. On AR15.com SteyrAUG is taking orders for an April order. IOM is $840 shipped. Emailed and says if full order comes in has IOM's unspoken for. Also can replace 20 rounders w/10.
So, yesterday head to Ade's in Orange to try and arrange. Ade checks the DOJ list, sees it on it. Decides to check with his distrubitors.
1st - Don't have it on our list, can't give a CA price yet (great can't just use the price everyone else gets)
2nd - $849 to CA, don't have any w/o 20 rounders, June maybe?
3rd - $899 to CA, same June/20 rd prob. But wait, there's more. This distributor says that DOJ made a mistake and the IOM will be pulled off the list. According to him, DOJ wants it to not be able to accept a 20 round mag. Ade says Thanks and ends conversation.
Ade and I discuss that we both think this is a crock. Pretty much every detachable mag pistol could accept a high capacity, it's just illegal in CA.
So, Ade next calls DOJ. Talks to Sally (first technical point of contact I think), Sally says if it was pulled it is real easy to update the list. She hasn't heard anything of this. Will seek higher up info at DOJ and get back to Ade.
That's where I stand today.
I'll most likely order from SteyrAUG as soon as Ade clears this up w/DOJ - unless I find less expensive somewhere else.
AS of today, it's still on the list and the recently added list.

Josh
03-30-2005, 12:33 PM
thanks for clearing some of this up rumpled.

Gotta love the service Ade gives.

RRangel
03-30-2005, 12:38 PM
This isn't looking good. The state has no legal way to prevent a handgun from being sold since there is no specific law banning it. It has passed the safety testing. It has no evil so called assault weapon features. The twenty round magazines aren't legal in California in the first place. Should the Ruger P85 be illegal in California because Mec-Gar makes a 20 round 9mm mag for it?

That sounds like baloney. If the other information from FN that has been posted is true then the USG will also be put on the list soon.

If the IOM is not for sale to all but law enforcement and military in California I think that's more of a decision from FN just like them stopping us from getting the SS192.

Unless the CA DOJ did just make a real stupid mistake and put a pistol that didn't pass the safety testing on the list it should not be illegal.

uzigalil
03-30-2005, 2:46 PM
The Fn IOM is for sale to civilians, Fn has not updated there website or catlogs as they plan on phaseing this model in favor of the USG. It is possible that months ago when the IOM was submitted for testing, they didnt have the USG available yet as it is there new model.The IOM is legal to buy and own in California. The magazine issue is bogus. Sig 228,226,, HK usp,glocks and countless other handguns have hicaps for sale new 2005 made hicaps for sale today outside of California, these guns are legal to sell in california. Also there were 20rnd mags for Fn 5.7 pistols available before the ban was imposed.

dwtt
03-31-2005, 7:15 PM

There are two lists? Sounds like a conspiracy to
me. It must be those antigun people trying to
confuse us by giving us two lists. Yeah, it must
be the gun grabbers.

Trader Jack
04-01-2005, 8:36 PM
Has anybody found an FN 5-7 10M at a dealer??
Has anybody found a local dealer willing to order the firearm?

Has any dealer shown that they can register the firearm?

I am willing to bet the answer to all those questions is a resounding NO.

Yes there are two DOJ lists. One for the G.P. and another for the dealer. Should they both be the same? YES. Are they both the same? NO.

Another case in point is the Jimenez firearms (AKA Bryco). The DOJ Dealer list shows two models approved in 9 mm but you will not see them on G.P. list. The G.P. list shows a Jimenez 380 but you won't find that on the dealer list.

The morel of all this What you see or read is not always what it seems.

uzigalil
04-01-2005, 10:19 PM
YES
YES
Dont have it yet to Dros.

Trader, where is the "other" list displayed or published. Are you saying that the list that we all refer to is Bogus? Also the FN 5.7 I.O.M is available for sale. Dont believe everything you read .

Trader Jack
04-02-2005, 7:33 AM
The "Other List" appears on the dealers computer when they go to dros a firearm.

Even though the list you and I see may show the firearm, if it is not on the dealers list of approved firearms, a dros cannot be preformed without resorting to an "exempt or curio\relic"
which in itself is a huge no-no.

Now where have you seen it SOLD????

uzigalil
04-02-2005, 5:31 PM
Trader Jack, I spoke with two FFL's today one who is also A class 02/07. They both said there is only one list to go by which is the list we the average civilian go by, the DOJ approved handgun list. Only you seem to have a mysterious secret list. You are wrong and Ignorant. Also you should know that any FFl can order and buy any handgun they want approved or not, but if the gun is not approved they cant sell it to the California public.

jrhglock99
04-02-2005, 6:03 PM
TRADER JACK IS CORRECT, I JUST PULLED UP THE DROS ENTRY SYSTEM AND LOOKED FOR IT ON THE DROP DOWN MENU AND IT IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND ON THERE. SO IF YOU DONT BELIEVE US CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER AND ASK THEM TO CHECK IT IN THE ACTUAL DROS DROP DOWN MENU.

RRangel
04-02-2005, 6:08 PM
I don't understand why it's on the approved list then. Did it pass the CA testing? How does a pistol that doesn't pass the test end up on the list?

If if did pass the CA DOJ has some explaining to do.

If it did pass they are restricting a firearm from the general public that is legal.

icormba
04-02-2005, 6:10 PM
we use this list:
http://justice.doj.ca.gov/safeguns/safeguns_new.taf

I'm not trying to defend T.Jack, but I remember when I had my FEG highpower transfered through my FFL he couldn't find it on the list. It's on the published list above, but the dealer list he used didn't have it listed as FEG. He showed me his list and it seemed to be a DOJ Dealer password protected web-based transaction tool? I didn't see it on there as FEG either? but then thought... it's made in Hungary! looked under Hungarian and there it was! leason learned... there are 2 lists.

He admitted it was on the "customer list" but said he couldn't do the transfer because it wasn't on the other... he does all his paperwork through that webbased tool, guess it's a good thing we found it after all.

jrhglock99
04-02-2005, 6:11 PM
I AGREE WITH YOU AND THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED WHEN I WAS REGISTERING A SIG DAK FOR A CUSTOMER. I THINK DOJ JUST TAKES THERE SWEET TIME UPDATING THE DROP DOWN MENU. BUT I CHECKED EVERY SINGLE GUN ON THERE AND I COULDNT FIND IT.

monkey
04-04-2005, 4:20 PM
So where are we with this? Read all the posts, but has anyone actually called DOJ and asked about the discrepancy? If it's on the website list and it's NOT in the computer at the FFL, then how are these things being DROSed as some have stated is the case? Very interested in getting one, but it sounds like the FFL list is not current. Don't want to waste any time or money if it cannot be DROSed (yet).

monkey
04-05-2005, 10:47 AM
So, I took it upon myself to call DOJ, spoke to a knowledgable Field Rep. He told me that they are aware of the issue. The FN 5.7 is in fact certified for sale in CA to all qualified civilians, not just LEO. The problem is that they are awaiting a federal NCIC code for that specific handgun to input it into the FFL system. They are anticipating the FFL pulldown list to be updated later this week, but until then, the FN 5.7 IOM cannot be DROSed. There is no other issue, just an administrative delay in updating the DROS system. Sounds like he has had many calls about this, knew exactly what was going on. Very excited.

uzigalil
04-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Ok, So Trader Jack and I are both correct. Now who will be the first to post there fiveseven here.

Turbinator
04-05-2005, 4:21 PM
Umm, it appears to me that some people owe Traderjack an apology? After all, seveal people did jump on the guy telling him he was flat out wrong..

Just my humble observation.

Turby

Rumpled
04-05-2005, 5:07 PM
My BS meter is moving up on this NCIC issue.
The IOM has been for sale in many states for quite some time. Individuals have bought these handguns. What NCIC code did their FFL's use for their backgound checks?
Shouldn't DOJ get off of their collective rears and update both lists at the same time.

Once again using administrative procedures to delay the law.

Josh
04-05-2005, 5:49 PM
been for sale in many states for quite some time. Individuals have bought these handguns. What NCIC code did their FFL's use for their backgound checks?

Im going to venture a guess that the CA DOJ maintains their own system. And thus needs to update accordingly since the 5.7 has never been for sale to the public here before. And to get the proper stuff entered into the system probably has a bunch of bureacratic paperwork and requesitioning.

So if I understand this correctly in reality there is only 1 list of "approved handguns," but 2 seperate systems of notification. 1 system is the DOJ site that just informs the publilc of what is approved. Then a seperate system that is linked to the federal NCIC and CA DOJ systems for background checks that allows for transfer.

But they all are the same, one just lags behind the other in the time it takes to update.

monkey
04-05-2005, 6:35 PM
CA does have their own system that is seperate from other states. I believe CA DROS is the only system in the country that keeps track of what specific make and model handgun is being sold.

The 5.7 is also different because it had a very bizarre legal life. The guns were originally imported on LE/gov't use only permits. The Five-Seven was a new gun and fired a new proprietary cartridge. Only FN made the ammo and they only made 3 loads for it, 1 of which would penetrate body armor by design. ATF didn't like that and denied commercial resale import permits. FN dealers could only make the sale contact, the interested gov't/LE entity would then have to make the deal through FN-USA directly, the guns would be shipped directly out of a bonded Customs warehouse to the customer. This was later modified when FN-USA agreed to not import the armor-piercing load in question. The Five-Seven was then available for sale directly through FN LE dealers who were instructed to sell only to LE or lose their dealership/distributorship. Lots of FN dealers ignored this because it was not law or regulation, but FN policy and they sold to civvies anyway. The gun was a hit and FN finally stopped trying to control it so tightly, they now sell to any and all FN dealers and distributors. ATF recently determined that the 5.7 SS192 ammo also defeats body armor, so that is now banned from commercial import, which is why this load is being sold for ridiculous money. I saw one guy asking $1400 for 1000 rounds of it.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that this would be the gun to test the system like this. ATF has been scratching their heads/pulling their hair out about this gun for awhile now. And now they have to assist CA in easing into their system as well.

uzigalil
04-05-2005, 7:03 PM
Here goes the ammo debate

this is what the atf says
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/fabriquen.htm

Fn stopped importation of ss192 on there own.News rounds are on the way and cheaper almost identical ss195lf is allready for sale.

Rumpled
04-08-2005, 8:14 PM
My latest update -
My FFL, Ade in Orange, finally got word from DOJ today that it is approved. The apparently needed Federal number came in and the IOM was added to the dealers DROS list at about 9 am this morning.

I've already purchased 3 10 round mags for it - first time I've bought mags for something I don't have.

Now, gotta check if the line I had on one in FL is still active, if so, I should have one in two or three weeks.

uzigalil
04-11-2005, 12:44 PM
I am now so confused, I was just told that there are no more IOM models available, and I was told by one ffl dealere that he has sold Many USG model last week to california ffls.I dont nkow what to think or do now.

uzigalil
04-29-2005, 1:23 PM
So does anyone Have one yet ????????

s281c
04-29-2005, 3:17 PM
Not yet.......I just broke down and ordered a USG, they were a little vague on when it would arrive........30 to 60 days, sigh now the wait begins.

btw.........traders quoted me $17.99 per box(50 rds) for the ammo

FYI.......to anyone that's interested cdnninvestments has the 10rd mags on sale for 9.99ea

uzigalil
04-30-2005, 4:42 PM
Where did you order a Usg from ? and does Traders have ammo in stock ?

thanks.

s281c
04-30-2005, 5:06 PM
Where did you order a Usg from ? and does Traders have ammo in stock ?

thanks.

Ordered the gun from Traders, no ammo in stock, so I guess that counts as ordering that too.

417gunslinger
05-01-2005, 8:40 AM
I pick mine up tomorrow http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I got it from Impactguns.com The difference between the two pistols is that the USG has more stubbles in the grip and a larger mag and slide release. Bullets are still a rip. Once more manufactures make that ammo, the price will go down. It's a cool looking gun.

uzigalil
05-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Which model did you get? How much was it? Did you find any ammo?

RobsterCraw
05-03-2005, 11:20 AM
If i'm not mistaken, didn't the FN P90 and FiveSeven win the military's PDW contest over HK. If I'm right about that ammo should be in no short supply in the future.

I'm not sure what the differences are between the different models. The USG is more recent right?

zot
05-04-2005, 5:17 PM
But the military ammo is AP and not for sale to us onery... er ordinary folk. So military adoption of the ammo won't help us that mutch. Maybe the price will go down a smidge because economy of scale will do something for the brass.

uzigalil
05-05-2005, 7:15 AM
Whos military are you speaking of ????

RobsterCraw
05-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Who else. The US.

uzigalil
05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Where did you read about the US military adopting the 5.7x28 caliber ?? or even considering it.

RobsterCraw
05-06-2005, 11:52 AM
My mistake it was NATO. US is not adopting 5.7 I think US is moving towards XM-8 and its competitors. 5.7 should still be under consideration though

s281c
05-06-2005, 5:31 PM
sigh.........what to do...........

I found out that my USG came into the gun shop today, unfortunately I just ran the papers on a $400 used P220 I had sitting there waiting for me, so it looks like I won't be able to pick it up until around the 15th of June.

Maybe I'll go by tomorrow to drool over it.

RobsterCraw
05-06-2005, 5:44 PM
Does the USG have a rail on it?

Trader Jack
05-06-2005, 7:27 PM
Yes the USG does have a rail on it.
The gun ia available right now at Traders in San Leandro. They had about 6 units this morning.

s281c
05-06-2005, 7:41 PM
Yes the USG does have a rail on it.
The gun ia available right now at Traders in San Leandro. They had about 6 units this morning.

I wonder if that includes mine........

uzigalil
05-06-2005, 9:20 PM
Robstercraw, You should do a little more research. The xm-8 has little chance of going anywhere, and is still a 5.56 weapon. The us Military will never adopt the 5.7x28. Only the few local police and I can only think of one federal agency has adopted it in the usa.

S281c: I get my FN IOM tomorrow.

s281c
05-07-2005, 5:56 AM
S281c: I get my FN IOM tomorrow.

Congratulations, let us know how it shoots!

RobsterCraw
05-07-2005, 6:45 AM
Here is my understanding:
Nato did PDW spec testing for weapon systems, in particular small calibur, small cartridge AP ammo. HK's 9x19 ammo competed with the 5.7 ammo. Nato decided 5.7 was superior and may be following up on the study. The US Army had the development of the XM8, under Project SOLDIER, in the pipeline to take the place of the M16s. More recently the Army decided to closer consider other competitors to the XM8. For a While the XM8 was smooth sailing but has to prove itself now. If there is anything new on the latest of this I haven't been able to find it. I've been out of the service for almost a year now and I don't get to hear about any insider stuff anymore.

s281c
05-07-2005, 5:18 PM
Well I went by the gunshop to see and handle my USG, the thing that strikes me first about it is how plastic the gun feels...........

They got 4 in, as of this morning 2 are sold, and still no ammo.

RobsterCraw
05-07-2005, 6:16 PM
I placed an order for the USG today. Dealer will notify me when they can actually place an order, And I'll be sure to order my ammo with it.

223Devil
05-07-2005, 6:57 PM
I need to check out Traders tommorrow

s281c
05-07-2005, 7:20 PM
Originally posted by MYK:
I need to check out Traders tommorrow

Traders is closed on Sundays................

uzigalil
05-07-2005, 7:25 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/WINDSOR7/EGL_0032.jpg

WOOHOO i GOT MINE AND ITS GREAT.

uzigalil
05-07-2005, 7:29 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/WINDSOR7/EGL_0029.jpg

HERES ONE MORE.

leswift
05-08-2005, 6:40 AM
Paul Stout offers hollowbased, solid tin 60 gr 9mm swc's, which can easily be driven to 2200 fps in a 5" 9x25 Dillon, 9x23 Win, 357 Sig, .38 Casull. They run $35 for 20 bullets, shipped. 2224 Herman Rd, PO Box 155 Ashton, IL, 61001. He's in his 80's , now, so he ain't exactly a speed demon, but you'll get your bullets.

imported_lunde
05-08-2005, 6:44 AM
My USG has been at my dealer since early April, and I was finally able to DROS it on Friday morning. I'm doing the ten-day dance now...

zot
05-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Now the question for us po' folk...

...are there any shooting ranges where we can just rent one?

ivanimal
05-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I know that this is the state of the art and is very desirable, but I really dont like the looks of it. Call me crazy, maybe it will grow on me.

50 Freak
05-12-2005, 12:11 AM
No offense, but am I the only one that thinks it's kinda ugly?

You must ask yourself, did you buy it because you wanted it, or because for the longest time someone told you that you couldn't have it. And by some stroke of fortune, your finally able to buy it.

s281c
05-12-2005, 6:11 AM
Originally posted by 50 Freak:

You must ask yourself, did you buy it because you wanted it, or because for the longest time someone told you that you couldn't have it. And by some stroke of fortune, your finally able to buy it.

Heh, probably for both reasons........After passing and regretting not buying so many other guns, I decided to just go with the idea to buy whatever and worry about it later.........LOL

uzigalil
05-12-2005, 9:20 AM
I kinda felt it was fugly looking until I got it. It is well made and fun to shoot, so simple to take down and the looks have grown on me to the point of liking it, alot.

RobsterCraw
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 50 Freak:

If they try to ban it before it is even involved in any crime it's got to be good

ivanimal
05-12-2005, 5:16 PM
I was in trades this morning to buy a 5 MM Remington Magnum and I got to fondle the 5-7. I must say it does feel better than it looks. The presentation and case was also impressive. For $1050.00 I guess it would have to be. Still I have seen more expensive guns look a lot worse. At least now I have the tube fed model of the old rem mag in my clutches!

ivanimal
05-12-2005, 8:54 PM
I was in trades this morning to buy a 5 MM Remington Magnum and I got to fondle the 5-7. I must say it does feel better than it looks. The presentation and case was also impressive. For $1050.00 I guess it would have to be. Still I have seen more expensive guns look a lot worse. At least now I have the tube fed model of the old rem mag in my clutches!

icormba
05-26-2005, 6:36 PM
CDNN is selling these on special for $799.00
very last page on the bottom right hand corner:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

.... too bad they won't sell to us in California!! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Rumpled
05-31-2005, 8:04 PM
icormba - I think CDNN was selling them for like $699 about a year ago - before the "ban it - cop killer stuff" really hit. I hate them for their CA ban.

I picked mine up today!!! I got a USG and yeah it's basically ugly. I actually wanted a IOM for the extra uglyness factor, but apparently those are no longer being shipped.

Most expensive gun I've ever bought. I mainly got it to get it before it was banned. I've said I shoulda too many times in CA.

Sorry, no pictures, but it looks the same as any other USG. If your really must know, look at Lunde's pics - he's a much better photog . Dropped my digital cam and broke it while drunk a little while ago - those drinks ended up being pretty expensive - ha!

I haven't shot it yet, can't get ammo.

If anyone has a line on SoCal ammo in hand or someone online with stock, I'd appreciate it - just not a buck a round. Uzigalil, where'd you get yours?

uzigalil
06-02-2005, 8:57 AM
TRY gunbroker

Mad Mike
06-05-2005, 5:06 PM
What is the differents beteen the IOM and the USG? I'm still not clear on that, which takes the 20 round mag?

uzigalil
06-05-2005, 5:17 PM
the iom has the round trigger guard and they both take the 20 rnd mag as well as the 10 round.look at the picture on page 5 with the plate, that is IOM.

s281c
06-13-2005, 11:01 AM
finally picked up mine.........sigh the one gun every 30 days is killing me, I've still got a few more guns sitting at stores waiting for the windows to open......... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Heh, I did get lucky, I got to buy up all that dealers supply of SS196....... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

uzigalil
06-13-2005, 6:26 PM
s281c where did you get your ammo ?

s281c
06-13-2005, 6:47 PM
s281c where did you get your ammo ?

Bought all of it that Traders had left..........16 boxes of SS196........ http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Buckelew
06-13-2005, 7:38 PM
selling my Walther P-22 because I received the package requesting my sending it to Smith & Wesson for the barrel work.

Thinking about getting one of these bad boys to say "screw you" to California.

s281c
06-15-2005, 3:38 PM
SIGH..........off it goes back to FN, I took it out to shoot and at 25 yards it was hitting below the bottom of the target, proceeded to aim at the top of the target, and was hitting in the black.

So started adjusting the rear sight 34 clicks and 100 rounds later I was in the black but the rear sight looked like it was going to come off. That's not right for a new gun.

So I sit here without my FN, and 100rds less of SS196 ammo, at least I didn't waste any of my SS192......... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

E__WOK
06-15-2005, 4:20 PM
http://www.impactguns.com/store/818513001625.html

Is the California IOM version the same as impact guns?

I think I've also seen the IOM with a rail just like the USG.

Do both versions have the magazine safety? I like the look of the IOM version.

problemchild
07-01-2005, 12:22 PM

http://www.botachtactical.com/FNHUSAiompistol.htm

uzigalil
07-01-2005, 2:20 PM
Problemchild, good luck with Botach, they havent had them for a year.

s281c
07-20-2005, 6:09 PM
Well my 5.7 came back from FN, looks like all they did was crank the sight back down and test fired it with something other then SS196, as the target claims that the gun in "In Spec".

Looks like they ignored the fact that I was using SS196, or just don't want to acknowledge the facts about the ammo.