PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Nagant at the range

Cos
09-18-2009, 4:53 PM
At last! I've got my new old Nagant 1895 out for the range's shooting. Well, the feeling is very interesting, because it sounds softer than my 22/45 (thru the ear-muffs of course) and its SA mode is very light.

Stupid me, I've started shooting it after a couple of hundreds of .22 (I was adjusting the sight of my brand-new 22/45 for that long :-( and the target was quite a mess and I was at the 10 yards line.

Surprisingly, at this distance it shots very high. With the front sight and rear frame's grove (there's not rear sight, as you know) leveled it goes about 2.5 or 3 inches higher that the aiming point. The gun is zerod for 25meters, I believe, and considering relatively low ballistics of the Nagant ammo (by HotShot) it might be quite appropriate to be shooting that much higher at shorter distances.

Unfortunately, it was too late for me to move to 25 or 50 yards line and repeat the experiment, so I assume I'll gonna wait until the next time and will make sure that it sighted correctly. If it is not - I'll have to file the front sight to lower it.

Does anyone here have an experience with this gun? Was yours shooting better or higher as well?

Fate
09-18-2009, 4:56 PM
Surprisingly, at this distance it shots very high. ...I'll gonna wait until the next time and will make sure that it sighted correctly. If it is not - I'll have to file the front sight to lower it.
If you file the front sight, it will shoot even higher! You need a taller front sight.

Cos
09-18-2009, 4:59 PM
Dah, of course you right. Thanks for catching this one!
But it will make my life a whole lot harder than, for it mightn't be that easy to find one nowadays...

Well, lemme see it next week at 25 yards or something.

SixPointEight
09-18-2009, 5:05 PM
I took mine out to the range. I couldn't REALLY get an idea of how it shot because too many people were shooting it.

But I took it to the 100 yard range...and only put 3/10 on paper. The front sight completely blocks the target at that range...I don't know how you people do it lol

Cos
09-18-2009, 5:13 PM
Wow, 100 yards - sounds like a pretty good deal for a gun that old :-)

But seriously, I'm kinda freaking out because I'd hoped it was properly sighted by Tula armory. It should've been - I just need to get used to it and take it to a real distance like you did :-)

Lucky Scott
09-18-2009, 5:18 PM
My 1925 Tula shoots high and to the right a bit.
Even at 100 yards. Not sure what to do about it, I just aim lower and to the left. At 100 yards I got 18 out of 20 in the black.
(Of course, the black is the size of a paper plate!)

Cos
09-18-2009, 5:54 PM
Well, I think there's a couple of thing you can do about the side drift (although, it mightn't be easy and is better be done by a gunsmith): you can try to gently panch the front sight to the left side. It has the dove tale at the base. Once I've a special gadget to move Nagant's muzzle which was, surprise, called 'sight-mover' :)

With the higher shot placement, I think, there's only one way to fix it - replace it with higher sight and then file it to the zero-level (thanks Fate for the correction - doesn't make sense to file off an already low front sight).

Or just shoot lower and to the left :-)

SixPointEight
09-19-2009, 4:05 PM
I've been raping google search all day, looking for some more info on replacing the front sight with a finishing nail, the more I read the more it looks like they are filing down the point of the nail to get shot placement on target. I want a pointy front sight, am I stuck with filing mine down?

trautert
09-19-2009, 5:35 PM
Clip it off with side cutters, then file to whatever configuration you like.

I'm a little confused about this thread, though. Is the OP talking about a Nagant revolver in 7.62x25?

If so, I'm not sure why anyone would even bother to shoot it at 50, let alone 100 yards. 25 feet is about the end of the functional terminal ballistics. The round runs out of gas practically at the muzzle.

Or are we talking about a Mosin Nagant?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-19-2009, 6:03 PM
I'm a little confused about this thread, though. Is the OP talking about a Nagant revolver in 7.62x38?

Or are we talking about a Mosin Nagant?

I think at least one poster is talking about a Mosin-Nagant. :p But the OP appears to be talking about a Nagant.

Cos
09-19-2009, 6:05 PM
We are talking about Nagant revolver naturally chambered for 7.62x38
I never heard of Nagant for 7.62x25 - this one sounds more like TTC to me.

Anyhow, 25 feet is about the end of the functional terminal ballistics sounds like a bit of overstatement. Nagant revolver's bullet at about 35 meters penetrates 4 1" pine boards set 1" apart from each other. Sounds terminal enough to me :-)

Cos
09-19-2009, 6:13 PM
You can buy new front sight for about $12 from Internet

johnthomas
09-19-2009, 6:45 PM
big difference in guns, lol.

Cos
09-19-2009, 9:36 PM
big difference in guns, lol.
I think people oftentimes confuse the two because of the 'Nagant' name.

Interestingly enough, Sergey Mosin didn't design the rifle - he'd merely proposed to use spring-loaded magazine in the Nagant's rifle and here we go - it is called Mosin rifle left and right now :-)

glennsche
09-19-2009, 9:50 PM
I think people oftentimes confuse the two because of the 'Nagant' name.

Interestingly enough, Sergey Mosin didn't design the rifle - he'd merely proposed to use spring-loaded magazine in the Nagant's rifle and here we go - it is called Mosin rifle left and right now :-)

dont you have that backwards?

at least, according to this, it sounds like the belgian was the input into the mag, and the rest of it was the work of the russians.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/Mosinprimer.htm

"The Mosin-Nagant rifle was adopted by Russia in 1891 after trials of several repeating bolt actions. It fires the 7.62x54r cartridge and is a combination of designs by Russian Sergei Mosin and Belgian Leon Nagant whose primary contribution was the feed system."

SixPointEight
09-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh wow...I fail

Cos
09-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Sorry, of course you're right: captain Mosin was the rifle's designer and the spring loaded magazine has been copied from Nagant's 3.5 iines rifle. I explained it all wrong ;-( Shame on me...

dont you have that backwards?

at least, according to this, it sounds like the belgian was the input into the mag, and the rest of it was the work of the russians.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/Mosinprimer.htm

"The Mosin-Nagant rifle was adopted by Russia in 1891 after trials of several repeating bolt actions. It fires the 7.62x54r cartridge and is a combination of designs by Russian Sergei Mosin and Belgian Leon Nagant whose primary contribution was the feed system."

ledman
09-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey Cos, did you shoot that ammo you got from me in your Nagant?

rogdigity
09-20-2009, 8:54 AM
I've been raping google search all day, looking for some more info on replacing the front sight with a finishing nail, the more I read the more it looks like they are filing down the point of the nail to get shot placement on target. I want a pointy front sight, am I stuck with filing mine down?

ah, i remember these days. used to have to do it in my winchester pellet gun...after i lost the sights like an idiot... but it did work for my then

We are talking about Nagant revolver naturally chambered for 7.62x38
I never heard of Nagant for 7.62x25 - this one sounds more like TTC to me.

Anyhow, sounds like a bit of overstatement. Nagant revolver's bullet at about 35 meters penetrates 4 1" pine boards set 1" apart from each other. Sounds terminal enough to me :-)

i think a 7.62x25 would blow this revolver apart. but i also think a nagant revolver was terminal much farther out then that. they did keep them in service for quite a while for a reason

Oh wow...I fail

hey, cant win em all

ok, all that said, ill try to find an old post of mine. i was shooting hotshot 7.62x38r and i was hitting just high and left. i switched to magtech 32S&W short and was hitting a little flatter and slightly to the right. later on i got some aguila 32S&W long and it seems to be a little better centered but a little high and still just slightly left. ill try to find my old post

rogdigity
09-20-2009, 9:06 AM
ok, i couldnt find my original post, but heres the pictures:

this is shooting the magtech 32 short
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rogdigity/M189532short.jpg

this is shooting the 7.62x38r hotshot ammo
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rogdigity/M1895762.jpg

i was wrong, it appears the hotshot was shooting high and that the magtech 32short was shooting flatter and right. i did the 32 long test some time later with the aguilar ammo so i dont have pictures, but im guessing it was the one that shot just to the left and slightly high. obviously it was 14 rounds through of each and all shots were from 30 feet. ill see if i can get down again to the range with all the calibers again. i still have some hotshot, some aguila 32long, some old remington 32 short and maybe still some magtech 32 short as well.

i dont have a 32acp cylinder for my revolver so i cant test that, but if anyone in the san diego area would like to meet me and compare revolvers at the range i would be down for that

Cos
09-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes :-)

Hey Cos, did you shoot that ammo you got from me in your Nagant?

Cos
09-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Here's the cross-posting from a gunboards' exchange:

I have quite a bit of experience shooting them and at 10 yards it would be high. If I remember correctly, they were sighted at 35 paces or about 25 meters shooting the full military load.
The current ammo is mostly loaded at about 2/3 load for target use. The Hot Shot is still loaded to about 300 m/sec and approximates the original load. Old Fiocchi (Purple box) is full load and the current production is target load.

In other words, the target's patterns you show seems to be quite in agreement (in term of height, at least) with the quite above. They suppose to be higher. I'm going to test mine again on a clean paper and both at 10 and 25 yards to see where the gun zeros and how high it shoots at 10 yards. Will follow up on this.

Also, it is interesting, that you were loading this revolver with all sorts of .32 calibers. Did you have any problems at all? I've read a ton of warnings all over internet not to load a Nagant with .32 S&W longs et cetera. Does it seem like an overstatement? And I'm waiting to get some .32 ACP to test my .32 cylinder and see how well it will shot these.

ok, i couldnt find my original post, but heres the pictures:

this is shooting the magtech 32 short
this is shooting the 7.62x38r hotshot ammo

i was wrong, it appears the hotshot was shooting high and that the magtech 32short was shooting flatter and right. i did the 32 long test some time later with the aguilar ammo so i dont have pictures, but im guessing it was the one that shot just to the left and slightly high. obviously it was 14 rounds through of each and all shots were from 30 feet. ill see if i can get down again to the range with all the calibers again. i still have some hotshot, some aguila 32long, some old remington 32 short and maybe still some magtech 32 short as well.

i dont have a 32acp cylinder for my revolver so i cant test that, but if anyone in the san diego area would like to meet me and compare revolvers at the range i would be down for that

ateballsidepocket
09-23-2009, 8:36 AM
bump

Cos
09-23-2009, 8:50 AM
Actually, this is the thread about Nagant revolver - not about Mosin carbin. I'd suggest you repost it to a more appropriate threat so it could be answered...

My Polish M44 ...

Anyone have an instruction manual on adjusting the Mosin 44 sights, and also a source for a laser bore sight'er for it too?

rogdigity
09-23-2009, 4:01 PM
My Polish M44 shot dead-on at the range when I first used it. It was a virgin M44/never fired. So the factory sighted the rifle fine, but the barrel hadn't really seated-in from the heat of being fired.

My second visit to the range and it shot up and to the left, about 10:00 area at 50 yards. Ever since that second visit to the range the Mosin continues to fire up and left with or without the bayonet folded out. So my assumption is that the barrel had to get some heating/use before it is "set" to where I will permanently stay.

I want to get a laser bore sight for it so I can adjust the sights. I was at the Cow Palace gun show looking for a Mosin laser bore sight but none could be found.

In fact the Cow Palace show was disappointing for finding much at all on Monsins. There really weren't that many relic rifles there in my estimation.

Anyone have an instruction manual on adjusting the Mosin 44 sights, and also a source for a laser bore sight'er for it too?

well, as stated, wrong thread, but you can find bore sighters anywhere. as for adjusting the sights, looks pretty simple. get a brass hammer or go to napa auto-parts and get a drift pin

rogdigity
09-23-2009, 4:28 PM
Also, it is interesting, that you were loading this revolver with all sorts of .32 calibers. Did you have any problems at all? I've read a ton of warnings all over internet not to load a Nagant with .32 S&W longs et cetera. Does it seem like an overstatement? And I'm waiting to get some .32 ACP to test my .32 cylinder and see how well it will shot these.

i was only shooting with lead bullets. i havent shot any jacketed rounds, but i hear that they seem to shoot a little copper (from the jacket) out from the side of the revolver. i have read that this is due to the size difference in the bullets. i have tested this buy holding my hand, and later a piece of thin paper (to look for holes), but felt and saw nothing coming from the side of the revolver.

maybe my revolver barrel has been wollowed out enough that it doesnt have this problem? i know that my revolver shoots pretty damn good with 32S&W longs. i think im going to get some more from the gun show comming up next month. if you live close id like to do a side by side comparison and i could even provide ammo

Cos
09-23-2009, 6:49 PM
i was only shooting with lead bullets. i havent shot any jacketed rounds, but i hear that they seem to shoot a little copper (from the jacket) out from the side of the revolver. i have read that this is due to the size difference in the bullets. i have tested this buy holding my hand, and later a piece of thin paper (to look for holes), but felt and saw nothing coming from the side of the revolver.

Interesting. I've never heard about this problem. I'm expecting to get some .32 ACP next week so I'll do few experiments and report back here.

i know that my revolver shoots pretty damn good with 32S&W longs. i think im going to get some more from the gun show comming up next month. if you live close id like to do a side by side comparison and i could even provide ammo

I'll try .32 S&W longs next time I'll go to a range - it'd be interesting to see how my revolver will handle these. Unfortunately, I'm pretty far from SD area (NorCal) and it'd be hard for us to do side/side compare of these guns. Although, I'd love to :-(

SDgarrick
09-24-2009, 1:28 PM
I've had a 1945 Izvesk for about a year but have never shot it... I have yet to pony up the dough for a box.

rogdigity
09-24-2009, 2:57 PM
I've had a 1945 Izvesk for about a year but have never shot it... I have yet to pony up the dough for a box.

well, if you are interested in selling it i may be interested in buying it. no sense in having it if you cant shoot it, right?

SDgarrick
09-24-2009, 9:16 PM
well, if you are interested in selling it i may be interested in buying it. no sense in having it if you cant shoot it, right?

I was considering selling it months ago, but I came into the money I needed and I figure it's at least worth more as a piece of history in a holster than as cash in my pocket.

rogdigity
09-24-2009, 9:33 PM
I was considering selling it months ago, but I came into the money I needed and I figure it's at least worth more as a piece of history in a holster than as cash in my pocket.

still interested. PM sent on that one

Cos
10-11-2009, 6:58 PM
Just to follow up on the thread. I went to the range today with my Nagant and have shoot about 4 full loads at 20 yards. As has been predicted by the author of the cross-port above - the revolver was shooting at about correct height. So, I think it is normal when it shoots high at 10 yards for it is zeroed at different distance.

rogdigity
10-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Just to follow up on the thread. I went to the range today with my Nagant and have shoot about 4 full loads at 20 yards. As has been predicted by the author of the cross-port above - the revolver was shooting at about correct height. So, I think it is normal when it shoots high at 10 yards for it is zeroed at different distance.

sounds like the correct range for them. mine seems to be about the same.

i never had any of the russian surplus ammo but i hear it was a bit hotter then the hotshot stuff is. i hear it was comperable to the 32 H&R mag so i might be picking up some of them here in a few days to see how they work in my revolver.

of course that will be tied to a tree for the first 7 rounds though

ateballsidepocket
10-12-2009, 8:55 AM
well, as stated, wrong thread, but you can find bore sighters anywhere. as for adjusting the sights, looks pretty simple. get a brass hammer or go to napa auto-parts and get a drift pin

Apologize for not getting back, but do understand that my post was not about the correct firearm being discussed. :)

rogdigity
10-12-2009, 4:40 PM
just trying to help out. the nagant m1895 revolver is commonly refered to as a 'nagant', while myself and im sure plenty of others refer to thier mosin-nagant rifles as nagants as well. as for your sights, did you get them fixed up?