PDA

View Full Version : 30-40 Krag to dad

w55
09-18-2009, 3:52 PM
My dads old deer gun was a Krag, it was taken by a brother once a long time ago and sort of never returned..ha family.

I found one here and now he has one again. he was really excited when he saw it, it was pretty nice to do something for him. he has lots of 'stuff" but he called last night to say he was working on the rifle and couldn't wait to fire it.

just thought id share.

sigfan91
09-18-2009, 3:58 PM
Nice. I fired a Krag once, just a single round. The owner inherited from his grandfather. We couldn't find any ammo for it. The one box I did find was like $1.50 a shot, and this was more than 10 years ago.

I went to a bunch of stores and asked for Krag ammo. One store owner said he has been there for 18 years and I was only the 2nd guy to ask for 30-40 Krag. :D

gunboat
09-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Krags , US, Norwegien, and Danish are possibly the smoothest bolt actions ever made. My favorite is the 1912 Norwegien 6.5x55 but unfortunately the bores are usually less than pristine. My ha-penny

HeyZeus
09-19-2009, 6:14 PM
I reload 30/40 Krag ammo. It is tough to get brass. There are many guns even some modern ones still chambered for this. I have a 1898 Krag I have yet to shoot it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/pbcHeyZeus/100_2128.jpg

w55
09-19-2009, 7:28 PM
We have about 200 rounds of the old peters cartridges someplace...they have the pic of a grizzly on them i think? They were in my grandfathers ammo stash...not sure where they ended up...need to get asking my Uncle!

Argonaut
09-19-2009, 9:07 PM
Ruger made the #3 single shot recently in 30/40 Krag.....It should not be that tough to find. The Krag rifles are wonderful but in a Ruger you can load them right with 30/06 ballistics.

gunboat
09-20-2009, 2:31 PM
30/40 Krag brass is available at Grafs for about $50/100 - Rem brass --
It appears midway and lock stock and barrel no longer list it. It is an easy loading case and 100 rounds will last a lifetime -- lyman cast 311291 and about 33gr of ballc is a nice load. ----- my ha-penny

HeyZeus
09-20-2009, 4:01 PM
I am loading 170g Oregon Trail Silver alloy cast with 28g of Varget. I only have 11 loaded cause that is all the brass I had. I have 40 factory loads.

5hundo
09-22-2009, 3:11 PM
I am loading 170g Oregon Trail Silver alloy cast with 28g of Varget. I only have 11 loaded cause that is all the brass I had. I have 40 factory loads.

I've been loading 43 grains of H380 with 150gr soft-point Spitzers...

I'm not really impressed with the accuracy... :(

It seemed like the factory loads from Winchester were a little better...

Army GI
09-22-2009, 5:38 PM
I've been loading 43 grains of H380 with 150gr soft-point Spitzers...

I'm not really impressed with the accuracy... :(

It seemed like the factory loads from Winchester were a little better...

Maybe you should try seating them out further? The original loading was with a 220gr round nosed bullet. The ogive of your 150gr spitzers probably are too far away from the rifling so they are contacting the rifling crooked.

I had the same problem with my R700 in 300WM. I loaded some 147gr FMJ (probably meant for the 7.62 NATO) to the factory cannelure and had horrible accuracy. I sold it and didn't realize until later that I seated it too far deep just because I was going off of the factory cannelure. I was probably a good .25" too short. Had I loaded them to max OAL I probably would have had better accuracy.

I still use the same bullets and I can get my shot-out 1903 Springfield to shoot ragged holes at 50 yards if I do my part or if I use a ledsled. If I seat to the cannelure, they are still a good .1" or so too deep. So now I seat that bullet out to maximum OAL for 30-06. In fact some may be too long because you always have a standard deviation of .003" in bullet length just because you can never make every bullet exactly the same. So the tip drags on the inside of the magazine well sometimes. So I might seat it .005" deeper or so just to compensate for that. When I load them this way the cannelure is just hanging out above the casemouth. They look kind of funny actually. But they're cheap and it shoots great so I can't complain:).

5hundo
09-23-2009, 9:38 AM
Maybe you should try seating them out further? The original loading was with a 220gr round nosed bullet. The ogive of your 150gr spitzers probably are too far away from the rifling so they are contacting the rifling crooked.

I had the same problem with my R700 in 300WM. I loaded some 147gr FMJ (probably meant for the 7.62 NATO) to the factory cannelure and had horrible accuracy. I sold it and didn't realize until later that I seated it too far deep just because I was going off of the factory cannelure. I was probably a good .25" too short. Had I loaded them to max OAL I probably would have had better accuracy.

I still use the same bullets and I can get my shot-out 1903 Springfield to shoot ragged holes at 50 yards if I do my part or if I use a ledsled. If I seat to the cannelure, they are still a good .1" or so too deep. So now I seat that bullet out to maximum OAL for 30-06. In fact some may be too long because you always have a standard deviation of .003" in bullet length just because you can never make every bullet exactly the same. So the tip drags on the inside of the magazine well sometimes. So I might seat it .005" deeper or so just to compensate for that. When I load them this way the cannelure is just hanging out above the casemouth. They look kind of funny actually. But they're cheap and it shoots great so I can't complain:).

Interesting...

I hadn't considered that until just now. The 180gr factory bullets I was using would be larger and (if nothing else) closer to the rifling. I'll give that a shot the next time I load for my Krag...

Thanks man!!!

Army GI
09-26-2009, 3:49 PM
Interesting...

I hadn't considered that until just now. The 180gr factory bullets I was using would be larger and (if nothing else) closer to the rifling. I'll give that a shot the next time I load for my Krag...

Thanks man!!!

No problem, glad to help. I hope you see some improvement :).

Sylverthorn
10-19-2009, 12:45 AM
What i find kinda funny is that i been fireing my krag for atleast the last 5 years, and had no problem finding ammo for it untill this year when i was told by my gunsmith that he had no ammo for it. weird.

5hundo
10-19-2009, 8:01 AM
What i find kinda funny is that i been fireing my krag for atleast the last 5 years, and had no problem finding ammo for it untill this year when i was told by my gunsmith that he had no ammo for it. weird.

Both Remington and Winchester ammo has been out of stock since last year.

I think manufacturers are busy catching up on the more popular calibers, so Krag takes a side-seat to those effots. Let's hope they start making it again soon...

BroncoBob
10-19-2009, 8:57 AM
My dads old deer gun was a Krag, it was taken by a brother once a long time ago and sort of never returned..ha family.

I found one here and now he has one again. he was really excited when he saw it, it was pretty nice to do something for him. he has lots of 'stuff" but he called last night to say he was working on the rifle and couldn't wait to fire it.

just thought id share.

Very cool thing to do. I wish my dad was still alive to do things like this.