PDA

View Full Version : yet another transfer question

giarcpnw
04-29-2005, 4:34 PM
well, i moved her 4 years ago. Brought with me a couple 22 rifles and an old ruger single six 22 Mag revolver. I never told the state. Call it ignorance or what have you, i just never touch these weapons. I just was searching to get yet more of my weapons here from Texas that are back with my parents and came across some of the laws. So i have two questions as I'm not totally clear on this.

I'm supposed to notify the state within 60 days of moving here thay i have the pistol correct? Well obviously that time period is over. What are my options here? Pretend like i just got here and let them know via the form? Or send it to a FFL and have him make me wait 10 days, show i know how to use it and pay him a fee? (this is ridiculous)?

Secondly: I have two more weapons back in texas that are mine. One is a springfield XD. In order to get it here i have to have my father ship it to an FFL and again. (wait 10 days, show i know how to use it and pay him) all for something I already own? Or can i drive home and get it bring it back and then send that form in?

Some of these questions may seem shady or dumb but I'm just flabergasted at the ridiculousness of the state laws. Texas is so damn conservative and yet so LIBERAL when is comes to gun laws. Crime is no more there then here and CCWs are like buying a pack of gum. Ughh. I'm digressing.

Thanks for the insight,
C

giarcpnw
04-29-2005, 4:34 PM
well, i moved her 4 years ago. Brought with me a couple 22 rifles and an old ruger single six 22 Mag revolver. I never told the state. Call it ignorance or what have you, i just never touch these weapons. I just was searching to get yet more of my weapons here from Texas that are back with my parents and came across some of the laws. So i have two questions as I'm not totally clear on this.

I'm supposed to notify the state within 60 days of moving here thay i have the pistol correct? Well obviously that time period is over. What are my options here? Pretend like i just got here and let them know via the form? Or send it to a FFL and have him make me wait 10 days, show i know how to use it and pay him a fee? (this is ridiculous)?

Secondly: I have two more weapons back in texas that are mine. One is a springfield XD. In order to get it here i have to have my father ship it to an FFL and again. (wait 10 days, show i know how to use it and pay him) all for something I already own? Or can i drive home and get it bring it back and then send that form in?

Some of these questions may seem shady or dumb but I'm just flabergasted at the ridiculousness of the state laws. Texas is so damn conservative and yet so LIBERAL when is comes to gun laws. Crime is no more there then here and CCWs are like buying a pack of gum. Ughh. I'm digressing.

Thanks for the insight,
C

Kruzr
04-29-2005, 4:40 PM
You could send the form in on the handgun, I doubt they would do anything. Yes, if the guns in Texas are yours and not "assault weapons", you can go and get them and drive them back here yourself. You then have to self register them. You can't bring in high capacity mags.

bwiese
04-29-2005, 5:06 PM
giarcpnw...

I've looked into this before for a couple of other folks here.

Since 1998, California's had a law that requires people bringing in handguns to register them w/DOJ form+fee within 60 days of their entry. You are considered a 'personal handgun importer'.

There's a specific provision in this section of the law that - if you filed reg. papers for this after 60 days - it won't be held against you legally. That is, if you file late, even now, you will not incriminate yourself, lose your guns, etc. They will accept the papers (and your money - $14? $19? per handgun!) without problems or causing you trouble. You do not have to go thru an FFL - just download the form from the Dept of Justice website, "Personal Handgun Importer" (or something very close to that).

This situation does not apply to rifles. You can bring them in just fine when you move here, as long as they are not considered 'assault weapons' by California law.

I am not an attorney, but my feeling is that your other guns in Texas are YOURS. You bought them. Esp helpful if you had supporting paperwork in case questions arose til you filed CA papers. But you are not acquiring or 'transferring' them - they just happened to be stored there. So you could bring them in - if you drove/flew down there & back. (I would not deal w/shipping 'em as that could raise all sorts of questions...)

There's no CA law that says you can't leave handguns stored outside the state for awhile, then you bring them back. This is essentially similar.

Heck, if you had the S/Ns and full descriptions, you could file reg paperwork for them now w/DOJ. You just happened to have left them back there your last trip... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And, as Kruzr said, you can't bring in hicap magazines. Whatever hicaps you had here by 12/31/99 are the only hicaps you're allowed.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

giarcpnw
04-29-2005, 6:16 PM
Thank you guys!!!!

Just playing devil's advocate here. What if i did have my father ship me the handgun? Chances of getting caught are proabably slim wouldn't you reckon? I am not condoning this theory but just curious. If it's in a big box who the heck is gonna know. Much cheaper then driving to Texas with said gas prices being the way they are.

But outside of me driving back to texas I'm assuming he would have to ship them to a FFL correct?

C

-hanko
04-29-2005, 8:29 PM
Fed law clearly allows you to ship your guns to yourself, interstate. Rifles are OK, not 100% clear to me if it's legal to that with the HG; if not, you can fly or drive them to their new home. Registration is required for the pistol.

Don't ya miss the BBQ?? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

-hanko