View Full Version : Need some help guys...

09-18-2009, 9:13 AM
I've been a resident of cali my entire life. However, while I was in the military I purchased a few handguns in different states. I have been out of the military for about 5 years and have been back in cali since that time while my guns have remained out of state. So my question is, how can I get my guns back and registered here in cali? I know you have 60 days to register them through DOJ upon moving and entering cali, but since I've always been a resident, what do I do???

Thanks in advance...

09-19-2009, 6:48 AM
The form you need is http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf and the cost is 19.00 per firearm. No FFL involvement.

09-23-2009, 10:54 AM
FFL's is this correct??

09-24-2009, 6:33 AM
FFL's is this correct??

If you doubt this guy's word, then you should not be consulting an FFL. There is nothing about being an FFL that makes me an expert on how you can bring firearms in from being military out of state. I know how I bring firearms into the state, but I have no clue how you would do it.

I would recommend you call the CA DOJ at (916) 263-4887 and ask them.

Never assume an FFL knows what he is talking about. Ever. Sorry if this seems curt, but you wouldn't believe how many people think that if an FFL does it or says it, that makes it correct. No way. Most of us are not lawyers and we could totally be doing things wrong and won't know it until we get audited. I have been selling guns for 4 years and have yet to be audited by the DOJ.

You can also go through this website too.


Good luck.

09-24-2009, 7:33 AM
I believe it is correct, but you should, as stated, check with the source, the CA DOJ. You might get different answers, so you should then get the information and check the CA Penal code and the website to ensure that you got the correct answer.

09-26-2009, 5:05 PM
Relax bro I was just checking. I don't know if that guys an FFL or not. I'm just trying to get an answer to something someone might have already been through or experienced....Is'nt that the whole point of these forums?

Thanks for the info and the link

09-27-2009, 7:15 AM
No problem here and no offense taken.(I am an 01 FFL btw) As the other more knowledgeable FFL's have said and I would concur, only you know the exact circumstances of your situation and as such you need to assess the proper steps to take to insure legal possession. I have suggested what I deem to be the proper form and procedure based on the limited information provided. I certainly would not rely simply on one person's advice on an internet forum. One of my favorite people had a famous quote,,, "Trust but verify" and that may be the best advice of all...

09-27-2009, 9:09 AM
There are a few handguns in the Free-America market that would be deemed illegal assault weapons here in Cali. In that scenario, the volintary registrations form won't be any help.

Best to do like 10% suggests and contact the DOJ with an accurate discription of the firearms in question.

09-27-2009, 8:51 PM
Thanks guys or all your help. I have nothing special, a Sig P228, Glock 22 and a two tone HK USP .45

I will confirm with DOJ asap.

Thanks again!!!!

09-28-2009, 9:39 AM
The only one which might be an issue is the two tone HK USP. I don't see that exact model on the certified list, but it might be called something else. The others you could DROS, but since there is a one gun per month, it would take you a long time.

It is best if you can fill out the form, then it will cost less and you will be done with it.

There is also the issue with getting them into CA, unless you go and bring them back personally.