PDA

View Full Version : first time at the range with SKS, wont go semi auto?

Lucky Scott
09-17-2009, 9:37 PM
Got a Yugo 59/66 SKS, (yes, the one with the grenade deal) and it shoots fine single action, but wont go semi auto. Also, very hard to pull the bolt back after shooting.
It wont eject the spent casing, the bolt wont move at all until I grab it and muscle it back.

Any ideas?
I am thinking gas system and have been looking at perhaps a faulty gas valve.
its new, but perhaps it is still bad.
is there any way to check it?

caldude
09-17-2009, 9:51 PM
It's most likely the gas valve, either it's faulty, or it's in the 'grenade launching' position. I'd check the position of the valve first.

Here's an article from Surplusrifle.com on replacing the gas valve: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

SLYoteBoy
09-17-2009, 10:03 PM
It's most likely the gas valve, either it's faulty, or it's in the 'grenade launching' position. I'd check the position of the valve first.

Here's an article from Surplusrifle.com on replacing the gas valve: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

+1 , im no expert on sks's , but I was also going to mention I thought that it had a gas valve , and to check the position.

Lucky Scott
09-17-2009, 10:06 PM
The position is correct, but I am going to double check to make sure the valve has the holes in the right place.

CSACANNONEER
09-17-2009, 10:09 PM
The position is correct, but I am going to double check to make sure the valve has the holes in the right place.

For shats and giggles, did you try putting the gas valve in both positions?

Lucky Scott
09-17-2009, 10:12 PM
You know, I didnt. I should try both positions.
Good idea.

Heatseeker
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM
This might be a dumb question, but have you inspected the gas tube for cleanliness? When I got my 59/66, the amount of cosmoline in the gas tube was unbelievable. It certainly would not have functioned as it was when I got it.

Just trying to help.

Lucky Scott
09-17-2009, 10:32 PM
I was always taught that there are no dumb questions.

I have checked that and even ran a pipe cleaner thru it to make sure it was clear.

Thanks for the help.

NotEnoughGuns
09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I had to replace my gas valve on my yugo with a new stainless steel one to make it reliable. It wouldn't shoot wolf ammo but other stuff would work. Yugo ammo is corrosive so the gas systems on them seem to not work all that great.

glennsche
09-17-2009, 10:46 PM
one guy at the range stopped me when i was shooting my sks and asked me to trouble shoot his...turned out he had no piston.

sometimes its very simple

Lucky Scott
09-18-2009, 7:22 AM
Wish it was always that simple.

yes, mine does have a piston. At first I was wondering it there should be seals on the end, (like rings on a car piston), but I took another SKS apart and there were none on that one.

I am also wondering about oil in the gas system. I am under the impression that the piston does not need oil to work. Being an old guy I always want to oil everything up, but have not put any oil inside the gas system.

I am wondering if there needs to be oil to create a seal or make it work better, but I cant find anything that tells me to do so.

nrakid88
09-18-2009, 7:27 AM
dont oil up the gas system. the gas flowing into it just burns it and turns it into this horrible black substance that almost bonds to the metal. it is a PITA to get off, put a light coat in the gas tube for storage, but try not to oil up the piston

hifiguns
09-18-2009, 8:01 AM
Make sure the chamber below the rear site (containing the piston extension) is cleaned of cosmoline. But, it's very likely that the gas valve is bad. You can get a new one here:
http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1

Mr Wizard
09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a russian SKS that will eat anything I put in it, but my Yugo won't cycle anything but Golden Tiger ammo. Can't figure that one out..

CHS
09-18-2009, 1:05 PM
Got a Yugo 59/66 SKS, (yes, the one with the grenade deal) and it shoots fine single action, but wont go semi auto. Also, very hard to pull the bolt back after shooting.
It wont eject the spent casing, the bolt wont move at all until I grab it and muscle it back.

Your gas system is probably fine, but it sounds like you need to clean all the cosmoline out of the recoil spring and rear of the bolt carrier. Probably clean up the bolt again soon.

If it's really hard to move the bolt/carrier back, something is gumming up the works and preventing rear travel.

An SKS should be fairly easy to charge.

hifiguns
09-18-2009, 1:46 PM
Make sure that the recoil spring isn't backward. The curly end goes forward into the bolt carrier, leaving the straight end exposed.

GSequoia
09-18-2009, 2:20 PM
I have a russian SKS that will eat anything I put in it, but my Yugo won't cycle anything but Golden Tiger ammo. Can't figure that one out..

Mine too. The Yugo is picky and HATES Wolf. Mine cycles the Tiger well and, of course, Yugo Surplus (brass case) very well.

The fact that it's difficult to pull the bolt back suggest this is your problem. What kind of ammunition were you using?

Lucky Scott
09-18-2009, 5:43 PM
Shooting the M67 stuff. I think it is Yugoslavian.
Non-Magnetic, range friendly stuff with a brass case.
It is corrosive but the Yugo should love it.

So the Gas valve is actually just a deverter. Not a valve at all.

I have another SKS and it works perfect so I took the valve out and compared them.
The good valve seems to be a couple thousand bigger around. Perhaps it seals better by fitting in the housing better.

I also noticed that the hole that lines up with the hole in the barrel is bigger in my good valve. Maybe I can drill out or modify the bad valve?

Got a link to a trick making a seal out of a paper clip.

I did the paper clip trick and will try it out next time I go shooting. I will try the paper clip valve, and then try the good valve and see if it works in the problem SKS

CHS
09-18-2009, 7:48 PM
I did the paper clip trick and will try it out next time I go shooting. I will try the paper clip valve, and then try the good valve and see if it works in the problem SKS

You mentioned that it's very hard to pull the bolt back, so why do you keep concentrating on the gas system and gas valve?

I'm betting that's not the problem.

Lucky Scott
09-19-2009, 8:09 AM
"You mentioned that it's very hard to pull the bolt back, so why do you keep concentrating on the gas system and gas valve?

I'm betting that's not the problem."

You may be right, I am not sure at this point but am trying to eliminate what the problem could be. Sure, I can take it to a gunsmith, and may eventually, but if I mess with it a little maybe I can figure it out and learn something in the process.

I am thinking gas system because the bolt is only hard to pull back after it fires. Otherwise it moves fine. I think its hard to pull back because the spent casing is halfway back in the camber and jamming it up with the next round. The bolt may be manually pulling the cartridge back.
But not enough to fully cycle.

Like I said, I am not sure, but if I take it to the range and try another gas valve and it works better that will tell me something. If no better, I will look elsewhere. Since I have another SKS I can try the valve from the SKS that is working good and see if it makes a difference.

Hey, I can be totally wrong, but I have learned alot about the SKS platform so far, and am still learning. I have gotten a lot of help from CalGunners and appreciate the advice.

Life's a journey!

Tmac
09-19-2009, 8:40 AM
Many, Many of the Yugo's have this problem. It is leaking where the gas tube and block push together. The paper clip thing will most likely work, it does not have to be a paper clip, I use electric fence wire. Just form it in a little circle making a metal gasket and fit it in there.

And then don't tell anybody, this is the best way I know to pick up cheap Yugo SKS's that are "Broken".....

GSequoia
09-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I highly highly doubt it has anything to do with the gas valve, piston, operating rod, or gas tube.

Clean your chamber!

You're having a hard time pulling the bolt back, this suggests that the case is getting stuck to the chamber. My guess would be a bunch of layers of lacquer from lacquered steel cases being run through it.

The only reason I didn't say this to begin with was that I suspected you were running Wolf, even after cleaning the hell out of my 59/66's chamber it just plain won't cycle Wolf ammo, it always gets stuck in the chamber. If you're having trouble cycling Yugo surplus it's not the ammunitions fault, that's good stuff!

rogdigity
09-20-2009, 10:22 AM
i know my sks is only a chinese and all, but i had crystalized cozmo on the bolt and had to get it off before i could work it freely. i didnt test fire it until after i had done that though. in fact, i opened mine up to clean the cozmo out and found it didnt even have a recoil spring or recoil rod.

i did have some trouple with my m44 nagant not wanting to 'let go' of casings after being fired. same deal there, crystalized cozmo in the chamber. to clean it i had to fire a bit through it to heat it, then quickly pop the bolt and scrub scrub scrub and dry dry dry and then fire again a few times and repeat. i had to do this a few times

enginematrix
09-21-2009, 1:27 PM
ETA

Argonaut
09-21-2009, 1:37 PM
Gas valves are open when the button is on the right side.....not on the top.

rogdigity
09-21-2009, 4:43 PM
edited because enginematrix is letting the man get him down

SJgunguy24
09-22-2009, 7:50 AM
Strip the rifle down, leave the trigger pack as one unit but remove it.
Pull the gas tube, and piston. Get the op rod and spring out. Take the bolt apart, it sucks but you need to inspect the firing pin and pin channel. Get the firing pin spring kit, trust me on this one.

Get q tips, pipe cleaners, rags, tooth brushes and what ever you clean guns with.

Leave the hoppes #9 for later. Get Isopropanol Alcohol or De natured Alcohol. Go through and clean everything. Focus on the OP rod guide. I can't count how many times people leave that out. The gun is spotless, but the op rod channel will be packed with Cosmo. Also look for pitting on the gas valve.
I've had a number of Yugo 59/66's and I install the firing pin spring kits and replace the OE gas blocks with stainless blocks.

rogdigity
09-22-2009, 4:52 PM
i also have had success with boiling a pan of water and dropping the bolt assembly in. it got out pretty much all but trace amounts of cozmo. same could be done for the operating rod i guess if you have a big enough pan. i however dont. my wife went to culinary school and she would kill me if i effed up her nice pans, so i had to go buy a little cheapo pan at the store and didnt think to get a big enough one for things like that...

which leads me to my next investment: one of those hand held steam cleaners! i have heard lots of people have great things to say about these removing cozmo.

strangerdude
09-22-2009, 4:59 PM
Probably the gas valve, but be very careful, I once chambered a round and without pulling the trigger it went full auto and unloaded the entire mag, luckily I was at the range.

rogdigity
09-22-2009, 6:47 PM
pretty much every time i have heard of an SKS slam firing, or going full auto, has been a dirty bolt and/or firing pin. i have noticed most SKSs i have broken down have been cleaned good, but that the bolts have not. something to keep an eye out for

Lucky Scott
09-22-2009, 7:35 PM
I will clean it again, but first will try the paper clip trick and then a spare gas valve to see what happens. I dont mind cleaning it, do it all the time.

I know it is a seperate deal, but I have heard good things about the firing pin with the spring. I plan on doing that once I get this thing to work.

I have another 59/66 that works perfect, so I think I am cleaning it okay, but you never know. My other one is in perfect original all numbers matching shape and is a joy to shoot.
This one that is giving me trouble is a collection of parts from here, there, and everywhere. I put it together to learn how to do it, so I know I will eventually get it to work.

knucklehead0202
09-22-2009, 10:42 PM
whenever i hear these stories, i smile a little, and realize that occasionally, i do have some luck. my '52 Tula, without a spring-loaded firing pin, works flawlessly, even with crappy Wolf Classic. it's never slamfired, misfed, failed to fire or eject, anything. when the Yugos first came on the scene i thought they looked awesome and wanted to get one, until i started hearing a lot of stories. i'm sure they're probably at least close to being every bit as good a gun as the russians, but i believe it was Pepsi's catchphrase years ago, "Can't beat the real thing" works for me. haven't heard much about the Romanians but i almost bought one because they were cheap and then they just plain disappeared. anybody have one? opinions? i heard they were excellent quality and second only to russian, but i don't know from experience. what of albanians as well? they're fairly new to me also. i dunno, i just love SKS's, way cooler than the black rifles IMO

rogdigity
09-22-2009, 11:07 PM
mine is chinese. factory 906. straightest sks ive ever shot. very reliable

the only problem i ever had was when i decided to 'make it better'. i tried 10 rd detatchable mags but they didnt fit roght. i tried 37 rd detachable and they didnt feed right. never had any trouble with the 10 round fixed mag. i had a scope and mount which needed a LOT of fitting, but in the end, this gun just isnt meant to have a scope on it. once i removed that i didnt have any more issues.

but then there is always the fact that when i bought it there wasnt even a recoil spring assembly in it. only a minor setback, but still an inconvenience non the less.

if you see a chinese SKS you can pick it up and look at the factory stamp on it. i think about 90% of all of them i have seen have the stamp for factory # 26 and a couple of 306. theres a website that shows all of the codes and even production numbers of some of those factorys. i have yet to find another 906 factory stamp to compare mine to. if anyone has a chinese SKS and lives close i would like to compare with them.

bigstick61
10-01-2009, 8:19 PM
I've had this problem for a long time, except I have no trouble pulling back the bolt in any case and in my case the bolt actually does move, but only an inch or so, not enough for cycling. The gas system was inspected by a gunsmith who found no issues, and the thing's been thoroughly cleaned (it was absolutely filthy with cosmoline when I bought it). A unique problem mine had though is that the bullets were keyholing out of the barrel. There is alot of muzzle erosion. I figure that there is enough erosion that gas is escaping forward of the bullet and not entering the gas system in sufficient quantity. So I've bought a new barrel and am having it changed. I guess I'll see if that does anything. It seems with this rifle there may be alot of reasons why it does not function properly.

rogdigity
10-01-2009, 9:07 PM
I've had this problem for a long time, except I have no trouble pulling back the bolt in any case and in my case the bolt actually does move, but only an inch or so, not enough for cycling. The gas system was inspected by a gunsmith who found no issues, and the thing's been thoroughly cleaned (it was absolutely filthy with cosmoline when I bought it). A unique problem mine had though is that the bullets were keyholing out of the barrel. There is alot of muzzle erosion. I figure that there is enough erosion that gas is escaping forward of the bullet and not entering the gas system in sufficient quantity. So I've bought a new barrel and am having it changed. I guess I'll see if that does anything. It seems with this rifle there may be alot of reasons why it does not function properly.

daaang, thats a bad deal. i am assuming its a yugo. it sounds like a barrel problem or a gas block problem. maybe your gunsmith didnt actually check the openings and seals in the gas system?

just a thought to toss around

lineman66
10-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Yep, I have a Chinese SKS as well, super reliable and always to bang. In fact I recently just took apart the fixed mag for cleaning after 2,000 rounds:eek:!

rogdigity
10-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Yep, I have a Chinese SKS as well, super reliable and always to bang. In fact I recently just took apart the fixed mag for cleaning after 2,000 rounds:eek:!

what is the factory of your chinese? its in the triangle on the left side of the receiver. if you look really close you will see that there are numbers inside the triangle. they kinda just look like scratches. it could be either 2 or 3 numbers.

there used to be a site with more detailed info on the factorys that made SKS rifles in china. i think it was simonov.net but that doesnt seem to work anymore. anyone else know what that site was?

rogdigity
10-01-2009, 11:46 PM
ps:

that site pointed out that most of themare stamped aither 26 or 306 (if memory serves), which means just about every time you pick up an SKS it should have one of those 2 stamps on it.

honestly, i think EVERY SKS i have held since i read that i have checked and they are all factory 26 - they seem to shoot mediocre and have decent craftsmanship. i dont recommend pointing out the factory stamp next time you are trying to buy one. just remember if the seller is saying 'oh this is a rare factory chinese SKS and it says 26 on it... hes full of poop

Lucky Scott
10-02-2009, 6:57 AM
Here is a good SKS site with a lot of info.
http://www.yooperj.com/

I got two Yugos, one is all matching numbers and factory original and shoots like a dream. Best rifle I ever had.

Second one is one I put together from extra parts so it could very well be my shoddy craftsman ship. I keep fooling with it because its fun, and I built it from scatch. One of these days I will get it working, or just give up and take it to a smith.
But I sure have learned alot about the SKS rifles by foolin with it.