cyrus
09-17-2009, 8:58 PM
OOPS on the title.

I applied for a C&R which allow me to cash and carry
50 year + long guns from a dealer
50 year + hand guns out of state

from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Firearms_License

" 1. Firearms which were manufactured more than 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less."

What does the COE give and how do I get it? Does it come with the C&R?

ke6guj
09-17-2009, 9:07 PM
The C&R, by itself, allows you to purchase C&R firearms (handguns and long guns of any vintage) while out of state. It also allows you to mail/internet order 50+ year old long guns and have them shipped to your door.

YOur C&R, by itself, does not give you any other privledges while in CA.

The COE, Certificate of Eligibility, is an extra state+federal background check you can have done. With it, you are entitled to a couple exemptions to CA law. With both the C&R+COE, you are exempt from the 10-day wait on all C&R firearms from a dealer. You do have to DROS it, but you can cash-and-carry right after you finish the paperwork. You also are exempt from the 1-handgun-a-month law for ALL handguns, C&R and Modern. You still have to do the 10-day wait for modern firearms.

How to get a COE, here's the app, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf. Just follow the directions and you are set. There is a link to livescan locations in the instructions. It costs about 75-85 for the first year, and renewals are ~$25 per year.

razorx
09-18-2009, 11:19 PM
C&R required before COE?

Section B on form states "Business Type" of which "collector" is an option. However, I just mailed my C&R today so wait until C&R is approved? Collector is not a business, so form is not accurate.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-18-2009, 11:31 PM
C&R required before COE?

Section B on form states "Business Type" of which "collector" is an option. However, I just mailed my C&R today so wait until C&R is approved? Collector is not a business, so form is not accurate.

You do not need to have a C&R FFL first in order to get a COE. In fact, most people who send off both applications at the same time end up getting the COE several weeks before getting the C&R FFL. That leaves you with some wasted COE time, since you can't really use it for anything until your C&R FFL shows up.

razorx
09-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the headsup, will send in anyway.

cyrus
09-21-2009, 3:55 PM
The C&R, by itself, allows you to purchase C&R firearms (handguns and long guns of any vintage) while out of state.

Can I but a Barret 50 Call M107 out of state (Assault Weapon) and store it out of state?

ke6guj
09-21-2009, 4:00 PM
Can I but a Barret 50 Call M107 out of state (Assault Weapon) and store it out of state?

A C&R, with or without a COE, will not help you purchase a non-C&R firearm out of state.

Shiloh13
09-22-2009, 5:02 PM
Is the COE of any value without the C&R?

ke6guj
09-22-2009, 5:04 PM
not really.

However, some dealers may require their employees have a COE as terms of employment.

leitung
09-22-2009, 5:14 PM
not really.

However, some dealers may require their employees have a COE as terms of employment.

I believe accuactly that the state requires you to have a COE working at a gun store?

I can't wait to get mine, I am getting all of the paperwork set.

ke6guj
09-22-2009, 5:31 PM
Is the Employee COE required of each employee?

No. The firearms dealer may choose whether or not to require each of his employees who has access to firearms to obtain a DOJ Employee COE. If the firearms dealer chooses not to require an Employee COE, then the employee does not need to obtain one unless he or she is required to under local licensing requirements.

(PC section 12071) http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#36G