PDA

View Full Version : Is it rust or what?..

Cos
09-17-2009, 7:13 PM
Just got my M1895 a few days ago and am happy about it and all... I'm pretty sure I'll be even more so after I'll get it to the range in a day or two.

However...

When the sunlight is falling down on the cylinder and some parts of the frame under a certain angle (about 20-25 degrees) I can see a brownish/yellowish glare which I though was a traces of rust, perhaps. It is also presented inside of cylinder's wells. Although, the surfaces (especially the wells) are very smooth and do not have any evidences of corrosion. The bore and is mirror SHINY.

I've tried to clean it up with Hoppe #9 and had removed a lot of that stuff but is some still left. Now I'm thinking that it actually was the leftovers of old cosmoline which never been fully cleaned off and had stuck there.

Is anyone here seen something similar with C&R guns? I can try to post some picture if it'd help.

I appreciate any information you can share with me on the topic and m.b. suggest what to do.

Thanks in advance,
Cos

5hundo
09-17-2009, 7:17 PM
Sounds like cosmoline...

Got any pics?

Try cleaning it with some brake cleaner, avoiding any plastic or painted areas you want to preserve....

Cos
09-17-2009, 8:51 PM
Hmm, interesting - I'll try brake cleaner, hopefully it will work.
Here are the pictures:
Normal view: http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/218/351/4012
Here's the light is coming under some needed angle and you can see 'rust' in a couple of sports: http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/218/351/4013
Not in focus but the light is very 'appropriate': http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/218/351/4015

Cos
09-17-2009, 8:56 PM
All these pictures are take from the same gun with a few seconds interval. The lighting angle is slightly different every time. That's why I don't think it is a rust... And I guess Noppe #9 has removed quite a bit of it...

Any comments are highly appreciated. Thanks

Cos
09-17-2009, 9:29 PM
After searching on the Inet for some more I've found out a few refs. to a 'brownish patina' which seems to be an almost normal case for older guns (and mine is dated 1932).

Considering that bore is mirror shine and seems totally un-issued I'm inclining to believe that that might be it - a result of some kind of chemical reaction in the top oxidate'd layer of the metal (i.e. bluing). I am not sure if what I've said does make much sense, though...

five.five-six
09-17-2009, 11:09 PM
After searching on the Inet for some more I've found out a few refs. to a 'brownish patina' which seems to be an almost normal case for older guns (and mine is dated 1932)..

patina :lol: AKA expensive ferric oxide...

very nice gun by the way... just oil it off :)

Cos
09-18-2009, 8:07 AM
patina :lol: AKA expensive ferric oxide...

very nice gun by the way... just oil it off :)

Thanks five.five-six - appreciate you taking a look: I feel much better now, cuz I like this gun a lot!:chris:

M1A Rifleman
09-18-2009, 8:35 AM
If parts glow red or orange under sun light or a strong flashlite beam - then yes, you are seeing rust.

This may also be a result of the heat treatment of the steel, where it has discolored (rust) the steel under the finish. I have a Sig with this problem at the end of the slide. Sig ackhowledged this was a problem with some runs and refinsihed the slide, but also mentioned it may come back - which it did.

Blueing is a controlled rusting of the steel anyway, so I would not worry on an old gun as it is part of its aging process. Clean it up with Hoppess and a bronze brush and forget about it.

Cos
09-18-2009, 9:49 AM
Yeah, I've realized that if the gun survived through 80+ years there's nothing which could hurt too much :-)
Thanks for in-depth explanations - I appreciate it.

sigfan91
09-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Cos, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 1895? Did you pay for hand-select? Or are they more or less in nice condition like that?

Cos
09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi Cos, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 1895? Did you pay for hand-select? Or are they more or less in nice condition like that?

I don't mind it at all. I got mine from jgsales.com (something like http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/russian-1895-nagant-revolver%2C-in-7-62-nagant-caliber-/products_id/1059) and you can pay an extra $10 for hand selection. I believe this one is 'refinished'.

Mine was in the original condition and cost me $130 + S&H, DROS and all... So, I think it is a very decent price for a gun like this. I'm thinking of getting the second one and equip it with .32 ACP cylinder for the 7.62x38R ammo is quite expensive.

sigfan91
09-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I don't mind it at all. I got mine from jgsales.com (something like http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/russian-1895-nagant-revolver%2C-in-7-62-nagant-caliber-/products_id/1059) and you can pay an extra $10 for hand selection. I believe this one is 'refinished'.

Mine was in the original condition and cost me $130 + S&H, DROS and all... So, I think it is a very decent price for a gun like this. I'm thinking of getting the second one and equip it with .32 ACP cylinder for the 7.62x38R ammo is quite expensive.

Cool...thanks. I would like 2 of them and a double shoulder rig so I can pretend to be Brandon Fraser in The Mummy. :D

Unfortunately for me the transfer fee will drive the cost much higher than yours. Essentially making these not as good a bargain.

Cos
09-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Cool...thanks. I would like 2 of them and a double shoulder rig so I can pretend to be Brandon Fraser in The Mummy. :D

Unfortunately for me the transfer fee will drive the cost much higher than yours. Essentially making these not as good a bargain.

Oh, the rig! Why didn't I think about the rig? Damn it :-)

Well, mine didn't come as a total bargain. I believe the final price was about $200 - cuz the fees are crazy. Thanks to the bureaucrats FFL holders can make a bit of money on C&R transfers too.