PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer a firearm in CA?

Adventurer_96
06-13-2005, 8:35 PM
OK, I'm moving to CA in the very near future and I need to learn the process of how to transfer a firearm in CA.

From what I understand, all transfers go through a dealer and then you pay fees. Following that, there are more fees. And waiting. And fees.

Am I far off?

berg
06-13-2005, 8:47 PM
Yes and no. Just read through this FAQ and you'll get your answers:
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm

Adventurer_96
06-13-2005, 9:06 PM
Thanks, I guess my question is about private party transfers. If I wanted to buy a gun from a guy in Northern California, would we have to meet at the same dealer? Or, could the gun be shipped to a dealer local to me?

Librarian
06-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks, I guess my question is about private party transfers. If I wanted to buy a gun from a guy in Northern California, would we have to meet at the same dealer? Or, could the gun be shipped to a dealer local to me?
Same dealer would be easiest - it lets you inspect the gun, of course, but it also gives the dealer some comfort level. If you happened to fail the background check, the dealer could not deliver the gun to you. Then it would have to go back to the seller; that's easier if both buyer and seller are relatively geographically close to the dealer.

Some dealers apparently do not want to deal with PPT involving a dealer-to-dealer shipment. Times being what they are, I understand the reluctance.

Probably ought to treat PPT as FTF - face to face.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-14-2005, 12:50 AM
It should also be added that if you both go to the dealer together to do the transfer then the dealer is limited as to how much he can charge you. What is it now? $30 for each handgun or $30 per any number of long gun transfers?

If the gun is shipped to a dealer, he can charge whatever he wants for the transfer.

And if you do a handgun transfer, both of you together at the dealer, then the handgun does not have to be on the California approved list. But if you ship it to another dealer in California, then the handgun would have to be either Curio & Relic eligable or a single action revolver of a certain size or on the California approved list.

If the firearm is a rifle or shotgun and is over 50 years old, no dealer is needed. You can just do a face to face sale or even ship it to another private party in California.

Turbinator
06-14-2005, 7:20 AM
I just paid $35 at Target Masters for a PPT.

Also, don't forget that the lock requirements or safe requirements still apply for PPT's, in addition to new purchases.

Turby

Adventurer_96
06-14-2005, 11:21 AM
OK, thanks. Any dealers you guys would recommend in the vicinity of Edwards AFB? I'm guessing Lancaster/Palmdale would be the two big cities, but I guess Bakersfield is close too.

Mike
06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
High Desert Storm in Palmdale, the owner Jeff Storm is a good guy. I would advise you buy whatever you want in UT, however...Lots of firearms are not allowed to be sold in CA, and some handguns can only be PPT'ed http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif, via FFL , of course.

If 357 gets passed, you can dispose of all of your non-serialized ammunition....and hope that mfg's roll over and make and sell CA-only ammunition.

imported_Telpierion
06-14-2005, 4:40 PM
There is also Karl's Hardware, Rosdamond, "The Gun Shop", Lancaster, and Sante Fe Gun, Palmdale. Karl's is a hardware store that sells guns as well. Sante Fe will always be on the expensive side for everything. I'm not too familiar with The Gun Shop but AFAIK they're the only indoor range between Bakersfield and the SF Valley, though they don't allow the use of any jacketed ammo. I'm not really recommending any of these more just letting you know what your options are.

m2hbvic
06-16-2005, 2:31 AM
Hey A96! Sent you a PM in reply to your last PM.

Stay away from that midget a**hole over at Santa Fe Gun Galleria!!! He's driven so much business away because of his smart mouth/attitude. And they have the highest priced guns in the valley. BTW, the dumba** just got his finger shot off not too long ago because of a cheap loaded .32 caliber pistol that some other dumba** brought in to have repaired, and neither one of them checked to see if it was loaded and/or one of the idiots pulled the trigger!!! Well DUH!!!!!!

The Gun Shop in Lancaster is okay. Lot of older guys working in there telling gun stories while you're waiting for someone to help you at the counter. You'll sometimes find deals in there on surplus ammo and used guns. Decent selection of guns.

High Desert Storm in Palmdale is a good gun shop. I work at a major aerospace company out here, and Jeff Storm works for the same company by day, and goes to the shop in the afternoon. His wife Sandy is the one who runs the shop/paperwork. Jeff and Sandy are great to deal with and will give you a "out-the-door" price that's usually a fair and decent price. Plus they will work with you and do a layaway if you need to make payments. Not a big selection of guns in stock but they will order whatever you want.

Karl's Hardware is another good gunshop. They have a decent selection of new/used handguns and long guns. You can sometimes get good deals on their used/consignment guns and on some ammo. They also do the easy layaway plan if you need it. Talk to Eric, Don, or Tom. Great and friendly guys to talk to.
Vic

imported_Telpierion
06-16-2005, 4:59 PM
Stay away from that midget a**hole over at Santa Fe Gun Galleria!!! He's driven so much business away because of his smart mouth/attitude.

Wow, I've been hearing a lot of bad stuff about him. Personally I haven’t had an issue with him. I have paid his high prices because it was surplus stuff I wanted and he was local. But given what I've heard I don't think I'll go there any more.

BTW are we going to have an AV shoot when A_96 gets out here?

Adventurer_96
06-24-2005, 4:54 PM
Great answers guys, thanks. As I look at the moving bills, I'm thinking I'm going to have to part with two non-approved handguns to come up with a few $$$, Caspian frames actually. I'll have to ensure I get the paperwork from the state registering them in CA I'm guessing, then advertise them here w/a transfer in Lancaster, Palmdale or elsewhere?

I just stopped into Karl's and it's about two miles from my house, just far enough to keep me from walking there every day after work! I was surprised that the selection was what it was, being that it was hidden in the back.

I also stopped into the Gun Shop in Lancaster this past week as I'm looking to get a big gun safe. Any suggestions on locations? The Gun Shop guys were really nice, (my wife even liked them!) but I think their safe prices were high.

I'm looking forward to seeing High Desert Storm. Palmdale/Lancaster/Rosamond seems to be the center of all things aerospace.

I'll need a couple of weeks to get settled, and then I'd love to do a shoot. Vic, I got your message but I'll be unpacking this weekend. I think we'll have a chance to meet in the near future though.

dwtt
06-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Adventurer_96:
Great answers guys, thanks. As I look at the moving bills, I'm thinking I'm going to have to part with two non-approved handguns to come up with a few $$$, Caspian frames actually.

If you need to recoup some of the cost of moving, you might look into getting a STI frame kit. There are IPSC shooters in CA who might like to buy a STI frame and build up a gun with it. STI guns are not on the approved list here in CA.

Adventurer_96
06-27-2005, 9:07 PM
Too late, Caspian only!
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Adventurer_96
07-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Interesting, I visited all of the shops and you guys were pretty much spot-on, including Santa Fe, although he wasn't that bad. Really, I had a nice time checking stuff out this past weekend but I forgot to ask if any of those shops would do a PPT. I'll have to call High Desert and see what they say. Unfortunately, I've got to sell two Caspian frames that were going to be projects in order to pay the bills, I think I'll post them for sale here to give the calgunners first crack.

imported_Telpierion
07-08-2005, 5:17 PM
They will all do PPT transfers. They have to under CA law. The only exception is places that do not sell handguns do not have to do transfers for handguns. Transferring frames only may be a problem since there will be no way to do the safe handling test. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me can say for sure.

One thing I don't think anybody mentioned as far as shops go is there are two Big 5 stores in the AV. Not really a gun shop but they do have guns. I just want to make sure you know all your options.

socalguns
07-09-2005, 6:08 AM
If the firearm is a rifle or shotgun and is over 50 years old, no dealer is needed. You can just do a face to face sale or even ship it to another private party in California.
Only with a C&R FFL.
If you don't have a FFL, you're commiting a crime.

Mssr. Eleganté
07-09-2005, 1:23 PM
socalguns,

I was talking about the transfer of a 50 year old long gun between two private parties within California. No FFL is needed for such a transfer, even if the long gun has to be shipped between the two California private parties.

Adventurer_96
07-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Telpierion, thanks. I'll call around. As I'm fairly close to LA I might even get lucky and find a buyer whose FFL would be willing to do the transfer. I'll have to post a "for sale" in a few days.