PDA

View Full Version : A GEEK TRAGEDY (computer/Linux humor)

1JimMarch
09-17-2009, 4:19 PM
I run Linux. Period.

Now, the cool part about Linux is that it's constantly improving. The RATE of improvement is just incredible...it's evolving way faster than Windows.

The particular combination of Linux parts I run is called "Ubuntu". Every six months the company behind Ubuntu (Canonical out of South Africa of all places) releases a new version - each has an admittedly goofy name. The last one was Jaunty Jackalope, the one due for release next month is Karmic Koala.

Karmic is in pre-release, just hit alpha #6 today. I've been running it for almost a month now, since alpha 4.

A couple of days ago some updates blew it the hell up :). Wouldn't boot to a graphical user interface. Oops. We soon got it unborked and I posted unborking instructions about eight hours into this adventure, after repair updates were pushed, on how to get to said updates. No data was lost in all this...it's just part of the pre-release fun :).

As a prelude to the instructions, I posted THIS:

(To the tune of "American Pie")

A long, long time ago
Just last night in fact,
How my compiz desktop made me smile
And I knew if I had my way
That I could make Steve Balmer pray
And, maybe, he'd go FOSS, for just a while.
But today's update made me freak
As X would die with a horrid shriek
Bad news on the desktop;
My computer was a doorstop
I couldn't figure out what died
Or why my graphics card felt fried,
As if the update process lied,
The day Ubuuuuuuuuntu died.
So bye, bye to my work for the day,
Tried some hashes and some thrashes
but the boot was just nay
And ubuntuforum was all choked up and gray
singing "this has gotta be the day Karmic died"

sfwdiy
09-17-2009, 5:32 PM
You said "borked".

--B

domokun
09-17-2009, 5:37 PM
You said "borked".

--B

Would you rather have it read "bungled" instead?

sfwdiy
09-17-2009, 6:45 PM

No, I like "borked". It amuses me. :p

--B

sfwdiy
09-17-2009, 6:47 PM
I haven't tried karmic yet. I'm still trying to get a stable install of Jaunty running on my Macbook Pro. It keeps locking up on me.

--B

psango
09-17-2009, 6:52 PM

borked is correct:

To have totally f!@#$%d something up. Usually by doing something stupid. Specifically used to describe technology that is broken.
Example 1....
Admin: I totally borked my machine installing Win XP SP2.

Example 2....

"I can't come over at the moment...my car is borked".

pat038536
09-17-2009, 9:03 PM
borked is correct:

To have totally f!@#$%d something up. Usually by doing something stupid. Specifically used to describe technology that is broken.
Example 1....
Admin: I totally borked my machine installing Win XP SP2.

Example 2....

"I can't come over at the moment...my car is borked".

Is that kinda like being burgled?

1JimMarch
09-18-2009, 1:28 AM
The deal with Jaunty is...it's...well, basically an abortion.

Sigh.

Most Macbooks had Intel-based video. Across the first half of 2009, huge changes were going on in the whole graphics stack, esp. as it involved Intel video. Bits of the video support were being moved into the kernel where they're faster. So basically you have the kernel, xorg, mesa and Intel drivers all needing to work together and get upgraded together.

Due to plain bad luck as to Jaunty's planned release date (April '09) it caught about half the parts updates it needed.

Jaunty should have been delayed another two months or so to let all this stuff stabilize. Instead, it was pushed out in a screwed-up state.

Yeah, not good.

Karmic has ALL the nice bits.

If it was me, and you have any decent Linux experience at all, I'd grab Karmic Alpha 6 and go for it. Odds are against them pushing an "update bork" again but if you're worried about it, get Karmic running, do the most recent updates and then turn off auto-updates (System>Administration>StartupApplications, uncheck "Update Manager").

You can still do updates manually, but first go to ubuntuforums.org and under "development" find the Karmic discussion area - make sure there's not a bunch of hysterical "OH MY GOD UPDATES ARE PUKING TODAY!" messages :). (Yeah, seriously...you can't miss it when an update really sucks hard.)

Another thing...if you have 2gigs or more, consider the 64bit flavor. 64bit flash is fully sorted out now! There's a 64bit flash player that Adobe claims is "alpha" but in reality, it's working so good for so many people we're now convinced Adobe doesn't want to piss off Apple and MS by releasing Flash64 on Linux first. So they're making the 64bit code hard to find and there's no auto-installer - see this post for step-by-step installer instructions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7795071

This plays Hulu at full-screen flawlessly - first time I've seen that in Adobe's crappy Linux flash app.

Karmic A6 is at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha6

Unless you really need it, don't do whole-disk-encryption just yet. Keep your Alpha6 LiveCD boot disk around; if an auto-update causes your bootup to barf, you'll be able to boot off the LiveCD disk and chroot to get control of new repair updates to your hard disk install without having to redo everything.

sfwdiy
09-18-2009, 1:20 PM
Sounds interesting, I may look into it. Unfortunately I have a 32 bit processor so I can't take advantage of the 64 bit version. Sounds nice, though.

--B

1JimMarch
09-18-2009, 2:41 PM
You'd be surprised. Which CPU do you have exactly? A lot of people have 64bit capability who don't realize it...for example, the Celeron M 5xx series have the AMD 64bit extensions in there.

MFortie
09-18-2009, 8:16 PM
I'm running Jaunty Jackalope on my Acer netbook and it runs just fine. Seems to have a new update daily though...