PDA

View Full Version : Good places in Orange County to look at guns?

Tower4726
05-26-2005, 8:22 PM
Im a newbie interested in learning more about handguns as well as seeing whats available. Can anyone recomment any shops in Orange County. Thanks

Josh
05-26-2005, 9:10 PM
fowlers in tustin and the stockade in westminster have a nice selection.
also any turners outdoorsman (chain store)

ARMUSA in anahiem had a large selection of cool stuff and most of it leaned toward the tacticool style, but they have moved to a smaller store.

www.fowler-stockade.com (http://www.fowler-stockade.com)
www.turners.com (http://www.turners.com)
www.armusa.com (http://www.armusa.com)

then for smaller places with good prices

Ade's gun shop has a modest selection but the service and prices are excellent, very honest man. 225 SOUTH TUSTIN ST
ORANGE, CA 92866
Telephone: 714-744-3373

Tower4726
05-26-2005, 9:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Josh http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Can you recommend any good beginner handguns?

jmlivingston
05-26-2005, 10:05 PM
You can head down to On-Target range in south county, they have a number of handguns you can rent at their range. You'll have to bring a friend along, they don't allow rentals to single individuals who don't already have a firearm with them. There's another range up in the Huntington Beach area, but I can't remember what it's called. Never been to that one, but I've been a customer at On-Target for a few years and have had no reason to leave them. (They're also only two exits away from me on the freeway!)

John

LongBch_SigP226
05-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by jmlivingston:
You can head down to On-Target range in south county, they have a number of handguns you can rent at their range. You'll have to bring a friend along, they don't allow rentals to single individuals who don't already have a firearm with them. There's another range up in the Huntington Beach area, but I can't remember what it's called. Never been to that one, but I've been a customer at On-Target for a few years and have had no reason to leave them. (They're also only two exits away from me on the freeway!)

John

The one in H.B is called Firing Line. Don't know if they are still in business. I used to be member there but that was 6 years ago.

rkt88edmo
05-26-2005, 10:51 PM
The Firing Line is still there in HB.

Josh
05-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Tower4726:
Thanks for the reply Josh http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Can you recommend any good beginner handguns?

Haha, thats a pretty loaded question.

different handguns fit people differently. Its almost like how do you like to breakin an engine, what religion are you, GM or ford.

A .22 is generally thought of as a very good start. Cheep ammo and low recoil and usually the firearm itself is inexpesive.

Then some say a revolver is also good and they come in just about every caliber from .22 to 45-70.

Try some out and see what youre tastes are. Where are you in orange county, its a pretty big place?

If you are in north OC there is the OC indoor rannge in brea, then theres also insight off the 91 and 605 i believe.

Tower4726
05-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Haha, thats a pretty loaded question.

different handguns fit people differently. Its almost like how do you like to breakin an engine, what religion are you, GM or ford.

A .22 is generally thought of as a very good start. Cheep
I live in Costa Mesa...now if i go to these ranges and rent a gun will using it be pretty self explanatory? Ive never actually shot a gun before so Im not too sure how it works. Do they instructors on hand who can show you the ropes? Also what is the different calipers mean (ie .22,.44, etc)? Sorry for all newbie questions http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

Josh
05-26-2005, 11:56 PM
wow ok, where to start.

there are ALOT of ways cartridges are named. But to keep it simple Ill just go over the simplified diamater.

caliber is the diamater of the bullet in inches using decimal instead of fractions. So .50 caliber is 1/2 an inch wide and .22 is about 1/5 of an inch wide or 22/100 of an inch. Usually the larger the caliber the larger the recoil but this also depends on ammo/gun combinations. Heavier guns reduce felt recoil and so do gas operated systems.

then anything such as 9mm or 7.62mm is of course metric and in millimeters.

Many of the ranges have classes to teach the basics of firearms safety and general handling/operation. Best to have someone explain this part in person as it is vital to the safety of your self and EVERYONE around you.

Basic firearm rules.
listed in no order of importance.
1)Treat the gun as it is always loaded.
2)Never point the gun at anything you dont want to destroy.
3)Keep that finger OFF THE TRIGGER untill you are 100% ready to fire, this is very important and for some reason new shooters break this rule ALL THE TIME.
4)be sure of your target and whats behind it.
5)Check to make sure the ammo matches the gun. The caliber is written on the barrel or gun itself.

If you are not familiar with the particular gun you are renting just tell the guy behind the counter and he will promptly kick you out of the range while lauging. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding, most ranges in Orange County are very friendly to new shooters as they want your repeat business. Just tell them you have never handled this type of gun before and they will go over all the features and any special notes about it.

blackmajik530@aol.com
05-27-2005, 1:44 AM
Josh has given great advice.

Check out the ranges in OC. ON TARGET is my favorite range. They have the best selection of handguns to choose from.

Firing Line isn't bad, but I dont understand why they charge $10 on some of their handguns when others are charged $5. And its not even "special" or expensive handguns

Insight Range in Artesia. Pretty nice range. Decent selection of firearms.

Orange County Indoor shooting range in Brea. Decent range. Only 50 ft as I remember. Most others are 25 yds. Dirty guns for rental.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from Evans Shooters World. I'd like your first experience to be a good one. He will ruin it. And he charges alot. And he's an arrogant ***.

Actually. Stop by some of the gun stores. Especially the Turners chains. Their pretty "Newbie friendly". Feel some of the guns that you're interested in BEFORE you rent them at the range. That way you have an idea what kinda guns you'd like to try out.

Fowler Gunroom in Tustin/ Stockade in Westminster. More on the pricey side. They have the best selection down here. Customer service is kinda lacking.

Flag Guns in La Habra. Small selection. Ok customer service

The Gunsight. This is my FAVORITE place. George is a great guy. He was the first person I went to when I was interested in my first handgun. I came out with a Colt Government 1911 and I've been really happy with it. His prices are the best around here, and he has really good customer service. Ok selection, he can get what you want. But man there are some good consignment guns that come in! He's located in Fullerton.

If you want, maybe a few of us Calgunners can all get together for a shoot and you can try out a few of our pistols/revolvers. Do some more research, learn and read up on safe gun handling. Most of all, PATIENCE. Get the basics down first.

Also, I'd recommend taking the NRA basic pistol course. It'll teach you all the basics, and since you're starting fresh, it'll teach you all the good habits.

I'll leave it at this. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Good luck! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jmlivingston
05-27-2005, 6:03 AM
If you want, maybe a few of us Calgunners can all get together for a shoot and you can try out a few of our pistols/revolvers.

Now that sounds like fun. You up to organizing this thing?

John

NYC2SoCal
05-27-2005, 8:08 AM
Originally posted by jmlivingston:
You can head down to On-Target range in south county

+1

Kruzr
05-27-2005, 8:14 AM
The Firing Line in HB has a Basic Handgun class every Saturday morning at 9 AM. it lasts until about 12:30 and you will learn all you need to know to shoot. You'll also shoot 50 rounds with personal instruction. The cost is 50 bucks plus ammo. It runs about $62.00 out the door.

If you want to rent a gun at the Firing Line, you must be in a party of two or more and one has to be an experienced shooter.

I have no idea what Black Majik is talking about, all handgun rentals are 5 bucks. It used to be 10 if you wanted one with a laser sight on it but those all broke now.

atham@earthlink.net
05-27-2005, 8:40 AM
A big thumbs up for Gunsight, especially if you like Colts.

Tower4726
05-27-2005, 5:09 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. As far as the class at Firing Line on Saturday Mornings it seems as though this would be a perfect place to start. Then maybe after I would be worthy of meeting some of you guys at the range http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif As far as purchasing my first handgun and having it licensed what does the process entail? Also on firing line's website it states that for 25 dollars i can recieve a safety certificate after attending the 3 hr training class. Is this certificate required when purchasing your first handgun?

Kruzr
05-27-2005, 7:04 PM
Just show up at 5 to 9 for the class.

The HSC test is $25. You need a HSC to purchase a handgun. They will go over the test in the class and many people take it right after the class. If you come in Saturday, then I'll be giving you the test. Introduce yourself. (I'm Mark)

blackmajik530@aol.com
05-30-2005, 12:26 PM
My mistake Kruzr.

It has been a while since I was last at the range. But to my recollection, I was told that renting the Sig or Beretta would cost more than the others. I assumed that it was just regular handguns. But maybe there was a laser sight on it. I didn't know that.

My apologies.