PDA

View Full Version : Surface Rust blemishes

imported_EvolutionGSR
03-23-2005, 7:36 PM
I had some surface rust on my 1911 frame. Cleaned it off, but it left some rust blemishes that i can't get off. Took it to my smith and he cant get them off either. Any suggestions? its a black frame. My last resort is to refinish it.

imported_EvolutionGSR
03-23-2005, 7:36 PM
I had some surface rust on my 1911 frame. Cleaned it off, but it left some rust blemishes that i can't get off. Took it to my smith and he cant get them off either. Any suggestions? its a black frame. My last resort is to refinish it.

icormba
03-23-2005, 7:59 PM
if your at your last resort... try 0000 steel wool with CLP gun oil. Don't scrub it down! light circular motion should help ( kinda like waxing the car... wax on http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif).
I used that method on my old p.38, Makarov, & all my M1 Garands. works great.

If you tried that already... sorry! that's all I know.

imported_edbon9
03-23-2005, 8:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EvolutionGSR:
I had some surface rust on my 1911 frame. Cleaned it off, but it left some rust blemishes that i can't get off. Took it to my smith and he cant get them off either. Any suggestions? its a black frame. My last resort is to refinish it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can try flitz/simichrome they are similar in composition but different in color. I've used flitz and it does a fairly good job of removing rust spots. There's also RB-17 which you can use with a 0000 steel wool, it does a good job, too, but it's a harsher chemical on the hands http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif use it in the circular motion icormba describes.

Sheldon
03-23-2005, 11:06 PM
sounds like the surface got pitted from the rusting. I don't think anything short of some sort of polishing to actually reblend the pitted area will work.