PDA

View Full Version : New ATM card

packnrat
09-16-2009, 8:02 PM
Just got my new ATM card, and the papers say something about "paypass" were you just get it close to a reader, no more swiping.:)

Is this the setup were someone with a portable reader can walk by you and get your card info?:eek:

if so were in the card is the chip so I can drill a hole through it.:TFH:

bigmike82
09-16-2009, 8:42 PM
"Is this the setup were someone with a portable reader can walk by you and get your card info?"
Yeah, but they gotta be within a few feet. I don't know where the RFID chip is...try googling it.

NSR500
09-17-2009, 3:16 AM
Yes, you can get hacked by someone with a portable reader. One defense is to shield your card in copper, otherwise, destroy the RFID chip.

G-Man WC
09-17-2009, 7:51 AM
Call or go into the bank that issued it. I work for a bank and they tried to pull a fast one on me with my new ATM and set me up with what you discribe. Call the bank or banker that you got the new card from. Ask them to disable this feature and give them an ear full. I did and work with these people. It's all about selling and quota's now for ever person working in a bank including the tellers. With this feature and if you lost this card, any kid would be able to go hog wild at 7-11 buying slurpies rounds for there friends until the funds ran out, or until you realized it was missing and reported it. -g

Corbin Dallas
09-17-2009, 7:55 AM
The RFID chip only works if the reader is within a few inches of the card in question. I worked on a project that involved RFID's and even with 2 antenna's at 4" from the RFID chip there was a massive amount of failure to read.

With that said, I would NOT own a credit card with this technology. Someone out there will figure it out and be able to read card numbers from a distance by RFID. It's all a matter of time.

I agree with G-Man, call the issuing bank and have them either disable it or send you a new card without the technology inside.

ocabj
09-17-2009, 8:11 AM
http://www.difrwear.com

domokun
09-17-2009, 10:58 AM
If you're really concerned and have your :TFH: squarely affixed to your head then you can find a small silver anti-static bag and stick your new ATM card in it. It should shield it from most RFID readers. The Caltrans FasTrak uses similar technology and that's what they give their users to prevent the reader from picking up the toll tags when they pass through the toll plaza with a carpool load in the car.

Corbin Dallas
09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
If you're really concerned and have your :TFH: squarely affixed to your head then you can find a small silver anti-static bag and stick your new ATM card in it. It should shield it from most RFID readers. The Caltrans FasTrak uses similar technology and that's what they give their users to prevent the reader from picking up the toll tags when they pass through the toll plaza with a carpool load in the car.

Put that thing on tight!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UMJPRMUyTLA/RqexgqVPTTI/AAAAAAAAAAs/PufHzLAIvG4/s400/n522306244_197290_3718.jpg

bigmike82
09-17-2009, 1:07 PM
"The RFID chip only works if the reader is within a few inches of the card in question."
Erm, look at what happened to the feds the first day of Defcon in Vegas.

You don't need massive antennas, nor only several inches.

It was apparently quite an eye opener when the fed employees were reminded that their ID cards have RFID chips inside.

ocabj
09-17-2009, 3:11 PM
"The RFID chip only works if the reader is within a few inches of the card in question."
Erm, look at what happened to the feds the first day of Defcon in Vegas.

You don't need massive antennas, nor only several inches.

It was apparently quite an eye opener when the fed employees were reminded that their ID cards have RFID chips inside.

Actually, no one knows if any Federal RFID was pulled during that experiment. They destroyed the actual card containing the RFID data that was pulled before they even analyzed it to see what information was gathered.

bohoki
09-17-2009, 3:25 PM
yea i used the boop on my last purchase from mcd and office depot

it took about 3 times and i had to touch the green led area with it for it to work

minuteman
09-17-2009, 3:28 PM
A hammer can solve this problem.

rumblebee
09-17-2009, 4:29 PM
hate to break the news to all...but, I've worked with (and still do) RF ID readers that can read up to a few feet...not inches.

Invest in Reynolds Wrap and all will be ok! :TFH:;)

The RFID chip only works if the reader is within a few inches of the card in question. I worked on a project that involved RFID's and even with 2 antenna's at 4" from the RFID chip there was a massive amount of failure to read.

With that said, I would NOT own a credit card with this technology. Someone out there will figure it out and be able to read card numbers from a distance by RFID. It's all a matter of time.

I agree with G-Man, call the issuing bank and have them either disable it or send you a new card without the technology inside.

Powder Horn
09-17-2009, 5:01 PM
Won't you still need a password to complete a transaction?

sfwdiy
09-17-2009, 5:31 PM
Won't you still need a password to complete a transaction?

No, you just wave the card over the sensor.

You absolutely can gank data from RFID cards surreptitiously. I believe there was an article in WIRED about this a while back.

--B

ocabj
09-17-2009, 5:33 PM
Also, if you ever cross the US/Mexico border where they have the RFID sensors installed, it'll detect your Passport or Passport Card with RFID through the vehicle.

My friend who is on this forum might see this thread and chime in. But is actually a contractor who works on that border check system. He indicated that whatever they have to read your RFID chip in the passport was strong enough to read through the vehicle.

sorensen440
09-17-2009, 5:37 PM
I was once told you can put it in the microwave but I was worried it would kill the card itself

Ive known people who have drilled the rfid out of the card

I would do that

ETA: CHeck this vid
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/809746/rfid_credit_card_chip_extracated_for_your_viewing_ pleasure/

cortayack
09-17-2009, 7:18 PM
Which Bank issue you this card???

packnrat
09-17-2009, 8:12 PM
Just changed there name to "unionbank" so they could work in more than ca.
But the manger said the cards are done by a third party.
Not the bank.
Not "mc".
Some uknown corp.

Would drill....but were???

dwtt
09-17-2009, 8:56 PM
Would drill....but were???

Didn't that video show the chip was under the radio symbol with waves? Why don't you try drilling a small hole through that symbol?

bigmike82
09-17-2009, 11:39 PM
"They destroyed the actual card containing the RFID data that was pulled before they even analyzed it to see what information was gathered. "
True. But the vendor *did* know that something was read. There's no question about that. It wouldn't have been a big deal if he didn't.

SickofSoCal
09-17-2009, 11:52 PM
- http://www.spychips.com -

locosway
09-18-2009, 12:50 AM
RFID theft is real, and a 12 year old can do it. It's a white collar crime that could happen as you stand in line at Ralphs.

They have wallets that shielf RFID, but what's better is to get a card that doesn't have the chip. I'd like to see someone hack a store security system to scan people as they walk in and out. I've heard about it, but I think it was an academic study.

JDay
09-22-2009, 1:19 AM
"Is this the setup were someone with a portable reader can walk by you and get your card info?"
Yeah, but they gotta be within a few feet. I don't know where the RFID chip is...try googling it.

With a properly constructed antenna the signal can be picked up from much further. Best way to disable it is 3 seconds in the microwave (shouldn't hurt the magstripe).

JDay
09-22-2009, 1:21 AM

Actually its not a matter of time.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/02/video-hacker-war-drives-san-francisco-cloning-rfid-passports/