PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's Steel Madness WHO"S IN?

Mr Twisted
09-16-2009, 6:44 PM
www.ssashooter.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=773

Two other surprise stages, Glock Give-away, ammo@ Walmart prices.

When to the Phoenix Gun Show last weekend.........My god Winchester white box 9mm going for $30-40 a box of 100 and we sell it to our shooters for $20 @100

Pays to shoot with the SSA after all.:rolleyes:

www.ssashooter.com

CJBrian
09-16-2009, 10:13 PM
I will be there along with a friend with another AR-22. Any drag racing stages since we both work nights and cant make it to your other shoots?

What Just Happened?
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I should be there. My barrel is supposed to be coming in today or tomorrow.

Ducman
09-17-2009, 11:37 AM
I hope it's cooler this time, I'll be there if I can find some .45's

What Just Happened?
09-17-2009, 1:05 PM
I hope it's cooler this time, I'll be there if I can find some .45's

Get there early. I've been done at 11:30am a couple times before.

Buy the ammo from Ron. He's got a big stash to sell to shooters.

Mr Twisted
09-17-2009, 6:52 PM
WE have only ammo for the matchess From what I've seen at the gunshows I'm sell it for 40-60% below market. I sell 9mm white box for@$20 ;going rate at the Phoenix gunshow last week was $38 a box:46:

CGT80
09-18-2009, 8:31 PM
I will be there, and I think my grandfather will actually shoot with me this time.

CJBrian
09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
I will be there, and I think my grandfather will actually shoot with me this time.

You going to be there at 9? You get your XD back yet?

CGT80
09-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Brian,

I will try to be there at 9am or before. Dave said that he should be done with my gun in a week from now. I hope to have it back for the next shoot. I will most likely borrow an xd 40 from Ron, since I have all of the stuff already setup for it.

Will you be there at 9am? It would be fun to shoot together again. If my grandfather shoots, I think we will be moving through the stages a little slower, so a small squad would be good. Also, the last few times I ended up on a large squad kind of sucked because it took to long to shoot all of the stages. I like to shoot some of the stages a few times for practice.

What Just Happened?
09-19-2009, 12:22 PM
You don't want too small of a squad. You just want everyone to be helping reset the steel targets or reloading their magazines.

CJBrian
09-19-2009, 4:27 PM
Brian,

I will try to be there at 9am or before. Dave said that he should be done with my gun in a week from now. I hope to have it back for the next shoot. I will most likely borrow an xd 40 from Ron, since I have all of the stuff already setup for it.

Will you be there at 9am? It would be fun to shoot together again. If my grandfather shoots, I think we will be moving through the stages a little slower, so a small squad would be good. Also, the last few times I ended up on a large squad kind of sucked because it took to long to shoot all of the stages. I like to shoot some of the stages a few times for practice.
Yes we will be there at 9

CGT80
09-19-2009, 10:09 PM
You don't want too small of a squad. You just want everyone to be helping reset the steel targets or reloading their magazines.

Good point. On large squads it seems like I bust my but to set up as much steel as I can and then wait around for others to shoot. I do slip up once in a while, but I try to always stay on top of setting up steel if my mags are loaded. It seems that it should go faster if more people setup the targets but sometimes it doesn't. I will have to keep an eye out for people who forget to help reset, maybe this is slowing us down.

Also, if the squad has mostly shooters who know the ropes, it goes ok, but I will avoid the large groups of newbies who are learning the ropes with one of the ROs. I don't mind helping others but I will admit that I do not have the patients to wait through all of the intro stuff very often.

Hopefully I will find a squad that is patient and works together. I think it will take more time for my grandfather to shoot the stages, and I don't like to slow others down either, or end up with a new shooter feeling pressured to finish quickly. We may just end up on a newbie squad so that he can get some good instruction and take his time with others at the same level. If that happens I will just deal with the time it takes. I want my grandfather to be able to shoot and have a good time. It has been about 10 years since he has shot, and his vision isn't as good as it used to be.

I look forward to seeing you out there.
Chris

What Just Happened?
09-21-2009, 8:37 AM
I was shooting in a squad of five and with all of us setting up steel or reloading mags, we were shooting from 10am to 12:30pm. Two of the shooters are in the upper half of the club, the other two know the ropes, and I was running about 60 - 100 seconds per stage with a shotgun. We weren't the fastest shooters out there, but we all pull our weight with resetting the stages.

Hope your group had fun.

Mr Twisted
09-21-2009, 6:58 PM
As you can see the spread is very wide. Everything from Grand Masters to first timers all mixing it up. Fun is the name of the game. Hope to see more of you out there.. Next match Oct 4th.

www.ssashooter.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=274

CGT80
09-22-2009, 8:27 PM
2.5 hours. Sounds like you guys had a smooth day. I spent most of the time with just my grandfather. He was very accurate at hitting most of the targets. He can still see the iron sights, but he had a little trouble with the long distance targets. The same targets gave me a challenge.

It looks like I may have some issues with the feed lips of the mags for my XD being bent. My ammo was not feeding reliably. I borrowed a gun for this match, but also had the same problem with my own with the same mags in both guns. My time was ok considering the malfunctions.

The best part of the day was seeing my grandfather shoot again after about ten years and doing well at it. I am looking forward to getting my own gun back from the gunsmith and getting one load set up to use all of the time so I can focus on my skills rather than equipment.

I'll see ya out there.

Mr Twisted
09-23-2009, 5:22 AM
Number your mags so you can witch ones are giving you trouble and bring them to me to tune at the next match.:rolleyes:

CGT80
09-24-2009, 6:26 AM
I will number and name my mags. Is there anything more visible than engraving, that will hold up on the stainless mags for the numbering? Or, should I mark the plastic bottom of the mag? I will definitely engrave my name so it will not wear off.

Mr Twisted
09-24-2009, 8:13 AM
Permanat magic marker works well , clean outer body of mag first with alcohol

Mr Twisted
10-01-2009, 9:11 AM
This weekends match plus 2 surprize stages Be there.. Lots of ammo at the range ay Walmart prices for our shooters

www.ssashooter.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=778

What Just Happened?
10-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Not as revolver-friendly as it was last time, but it won't kill me and my shotgun.

I'll see you there on Sunday.

AbbyCat
10-01-2009, 7:38 PM
Sunday 10/4? I'll be there.

Any other ladies?

CGT80
10-03-2009, 6:24 PM
I'm not a lady, but I will be there.