PDA

View Full Version : Pre Orders - Bolt catches for your .22lr AR-15!

alpalwal
09-16-2009, 3:53 PM
I've been working on this project for a while but I finally have a prototype that is extremely close to being production ready.

I have a Spikes .22 upper and a Ceiner kit and with both of them I have been continuously frustrated with the lack of a working bolt catch. I got tired of complaining about it and so I designed one.

The one I have designed is a drop in model that will work with Spikes uppers, Ceiner bolts, and most likely others as well but I haven't tested it with them yet.

It's looking like they're going to be about $35. I'll be donating $1 of every sale to CGF.

Because of the way the .22 magazines are set up these do not have an automatic hold-open.

Right now I'm just trying to gauge how much interest there is so I have an idea of how many to make on the first run. Sorry the pictures suck, my camera broke and so I'm stuck with the camera phone for the time being.

*I'll make the pictures show up in a second.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4752/img0563ul.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2038/img0561t.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3339/img0564x.jpg

anyracoon
09-16-2009, 4:10 PM
PM sent!

Jicko
09-16-2009, 4:38 PM
NICE~~

MustangGreg66
09-16-2009, 5:26 PM
So just for clarification, This is a bolt catch for ARs using dedicated .22LR uppers, conversion kits or both?

This is used so that I can lock the bolt open for training, clearning jams, and for cease fire's at the range, but it's not a last round hold open because of the way the magazines are built?

If i install this in my lower, will it still function with my normal centerfire upper?

Thanks

alpalwal
09-16-2009, 6:18 PM
So just for clarification, This is a bolt catch for ARs using dedicated .22LR uppers, conversion kits or both?
Both. I've tried it with Spike's .22 upper and a Ceiner kit. I'll be testing more in the near future.

This is used so that I can lock the bolt open for training, clearing jams, and for cease fire's at the range, but it's not a last round hold open because of the way the magazines are built?
Correct

If i install this in my lower, will it still function with my normal centerfire upper?
Nope, I haven't figured this one out yet. I will be working on a easy way to switch between 2 catches instead of a catch that is compatible with both bolts. The dimensions of the two bolts makes it pretty difficult for them to get along.

Thanks
____

Fred Foobar
09-16-2009, 6:20 PM
Lock me in for one.

alpalwal
09-16-2009, 6:22 PM
Lock me in for one.

Great. Can do

MustangGreg66
09-16-2009, 6:35 PM
____

Cool, sounds good. I'd definitly be interested once you figure out a way to switch between rimfire and centerfire. Maybe a groove to keep things straight with a countersunk screw to keep it together... it would be cool to integrate this with one of those extended bolt catches that go into the trigger guard as well...

Too bad the mags are made the way they are, I'd love to have a last round hold open option. With the black dog mags the way they are I was even thinking of drilling and tapping a small screw into the mag to hold the plunger down after the last round so it would go into dry-fire so it would drop free instead of getting jammed under the bolt...

alpalwal
09-16-2009, 7:25 PM
Cool, sounds good. I'd definitly be interested once you figure out a way to switch between rimfire and centerfire. Maybe a groove to keep things straight with a countersunk screw to keep it together... it would be cool to integrate this with one of those extended bolt catches that go into the trigger guard as well...

Too bad the mags are made the way they are, I'd love to have a last round hold open option. With the black dog mags the way they are I was even thinking of drilling and tapping a small screw into the mag to hold the plunger down after the last round so it would go into dry-fire so it would drop free instead of getting jammed under the bolt...

*** I completely forgot. This bolt catch does work with the Black Dog mags with the hold open followers.

PM sent

Do you think the mods would be pissed if I posted about this in the rimfire section?

xsquid
09-16-2009, 7:38 PM
If they work with the Spike's B/BC, you can put me down for one too.

Flying Bones
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Do you think the mods would be pissed if I posted about this in the rimfire section?

I think that's acceptable, but I don't have the secret decoder ring...so I might be wrong.

I'm very interested in this concept, and where you might take it. I'll be in for at least one for the dedicated.

Trakker
09-16-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm in.
:)

alpalwal
09-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Awesome guys, I'll let you all know when I get it all together. I've been talking to a couple people today about ways to make it work with both .22 and .223 uppers so stay tuned for that as well. I'll probably make a thread about it up in rimfire tomorrow to keep the discussion out of F/S

lisky420
09-17-2009, 6:30 AM
I am In

dalokster
09-17-2009, 8:41 AM
I'm in

alpalwal
09-17-2009, 8:47 AM
I am In

Excellent.

I just made a thread up in rimfire so lets keep the discussion up there now guys.

till44
09-17-2009, 9:00 AM
As soon as I get a dedictaed 22 upper I'll be in for one.