PDA

View Full Version : Brass polish substitute?

shooterx10
03-28-2005, 2:27 PM
Just out of pure curiosity (and maybe for laughs), has anyone used brass polish for furniture (excluding Iosso) or car polish (the ones without ammonia, of course!) in their tumbler to polish their brass?

Also, how often are we supposed to change the media? I'm still using the corn cob media that I have had for two years. It's looks like the color of dune beach sand, but it still polishes and cleans well. I just add a few drops of polish when I tumble some brass.

shooterx10
03-28-2005, 2:27 PM
Just out of pure curiosity (and maybe for laughs), has anyone used brass polish for furniture (excluding Iosso) or car polish (the ones without ammonia, of course!) in their tumbler to polish their brass?

Also, how often are we supposed to change the media? I'm still using the corn cob media that I have had for two years. It's looks like the color of dune beach sand, but it still polishes and cleans well. I just add a few drops of polish when I tumble some brass.

Turbinator
03-28-2005, 2:39 PM
I've been using the same walnut shell media for about 10 years now! Maybe 7 years ago, I took the media and washed it out with water. Maybe not the smartest idea, because then you get lead deposits and other garbage into the water, which is probably a pain to filter out.. but hey, what did I know..

The walnut shell still cleans just as well as any - per your routine, I add more polish now and then when I tumble more brass.

I've tried other cleaners prior to having a tumbler but found that good ol' purpose forumlated citrus based brass polish seems to work best.. just things without ammonia.

I would think that any of these other brass polish products that you suggest would work just as well.

Turby