PDA

View Full Version : Where to go to sell a C&C to a Private Party?

joeLTron
09-16-2009, 2:52 AM
Where do you guys go meet the other private party when you go sell cash and carry C&R guns? I don't like doing transactions out of my house, but then going out to a public place is kind of sketchy too because there are people that might freak out around. I'm selling a 91/30 tomorrow and I need to figure out a place to go meet.

steelrain82
09-16-2009, 3:14 AM
go to a local gun shop that way they can buy ammo afterward.

SmokinMr2
09-16-2009, 3:32 AM
Firing range has worked for me.

user name
09-16-2009, 8:30 AM
in side of a starbucks!

joefrank64k
09-16-2009, 8:59 AM
Where do you guys go meet the other private party when you go sell cash and carry C&R guns? I don't like doing transactions out of my house, but then going out to a public place is kind of sketchy too because there are people that might freak out around. I'm selling a 91/30 tomorrow and I need to figure out a place to go meet.

I know what you mean, joeLTron...don't like doing it at the house, but the Target parking lot seems a little hectic!

I've sold/bought, like a previous poster said, in the parking lot of a gun shop (RifleGear and Turner's have worked for me). I just maintained a low-profile, looked the gun over in the hatch area of my SUV, and made darn sure that everything is unloaded, of course.

Another poster said the parking lot of a range, that's another great idea...no one would be bent out of shape if they see you handling a firearm.

Flogger23m
09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
go to a local gun shop that way they can buy ammo afterward.

Gun store. Generally it is easy to find, and you can take a look inside when you're done.

professorhard
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Costco parking lot has yet to fail me

jamesob
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
police station, that way if the buyer is up to no good he will most likely not show up.:laugh:

cryoguy
09-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Thats a good idea. Just invite them in for coffee, dougnuts and some pritty shiney bracelets.

police station, that way if the buyer is up to no good he will most likely not show up.:laugh:

maschronic
09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
i do it in my store a lot of times. sometimes, i will meetup with a person in a parking lot.

glennsche
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
if i may threadjack this a little tiny bit...

has anyone had any *bad* experiences selling out of one's own home? I've made several purchases of C&Rs out of people's houses and its always been totally fine. it seems like C&R peeps are, mostly, cut from a pretty similar cloth and demographic; we're not gonna do anything shady coz we all know eachother on the boards and stuff.

or is that... breath-takingly naieve?

Scratch705
09-16-2009, 1:03 PM
it depends.... never know who it can be one day.

parking lots have done well for me. especially when they are of a mega mart place and the parking lot is a few acres...

joefrank64k
09-16-2009, 1:10 PM
if i may threadjack this a little tiny bit...

has anyone had any *bad* experiences selling out of one's own home? I've made several purchases of C&Rs out of people's houses and its always been totally fine. it seems like C&R peeps are, mostly, cut from a pretty similar cloth and demographic; we're not gonna do anything shady coz we all know eachother on the boards and stuff.

or is that... breath-takingly naieve?

I don't think it's naive at all...I've met up with people at their home for firearm-accessory related purchases (the last was bowling pins)...you get a feel for people from their posts and when you talk with them on the phone.

The last C&R rifle I bought from a CalGunner, after talking with the guy, I would've met up at his house or had him out to mine, no problem...it just happened to work out better in that instance to meet at Riflegear in Costa Mesa...

ocabj
09-16-2009, 1:12 PM
Firing range has worked for me.

That's where I do FTF C&R transactions.

joeLTron
09-16-2009, 1:19 PM
I'm just going to the starbucks next to my house...which just so happens to be right across the street from the police station. haha

glennsche
09-16-2009, 1:22 PM
I'm just going to the starbucks next to my house...which just so happens to be right across the street from the police station. haha

i can just imagine the barristas being thrilled when the buyer holds it up to check the bore and work the action....

joeLTron
09-16-2009, 1:25 PM
hahaha, they're actually friends of mine.

but no, I'm not going to go inside, it'll be done outside in the parking lot.

CSACANNONEER
09-16-2009, 2:01 PM
I've done deals at my house, at my office, at other people's homes and work places, at ranges etc. I would not recommend a Starbuck's parking lot though. Why don't you find a better place like Greta's parking lot. I knew that place had to be good for something. Just remember to send the buyer to Fort Courage when the deal is done. Actually, Tim does have a spam can of 54R for sale so, if the buyer needs ammo, you might want to call Fort Courage and see if the buyer can inspect it there as lomg as he buys some ammo.

knucklehead0202
09-16-2009, 10:23 PM
i've met people at ranges or gun stores for exam/pickup without issue. not insulted by them not inviting me to their home, although i wouldn't really hesitate. like glenn and joe said, we're all kinda the same-type people with this c&r stuff, so there's not many i'd really be worried about. how many c&r-related crimes do you hear about? anyhow, like they said, most of us are somewhat familiar here on the forums so there's really not much to worry about, some people just like to be more private. only reason i do now is because i live in an apartment in a borderline-questionable neighborhood and i don't want anyone to know what i have. that aside, i believe in and trust most calgunners, at least, those that don't readily label themselves as zealots and *******s. pick a spot, if not your home, a nearby range, gun shop, or even sporting goods store should do. and just be casual and low-profile, no big deal. good luck!

clockwork
09-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Right outside the driveway of anyone who's anti-2A...
:43:

Eat Dirt
09-17-2009, 9:13 AM
A Big-5 parking lot works for me

People around there are used to seeing rifles
they are in a Large area with traffic flow ,
always one in most big towns

EBR Works
09-17-2009, 10:56 AM
IMHO the safest place to sell a C&R firearm F2F is at a gun shop. Get to know the proprietor of the one nearest you and they'll have no problem with it. Luckily, I live near Fort Courage and Tim is "the man". That being said, there is no way I would invite a stranger into my home for any reason, especially a firearms transaction.

five.five-six
09-17-2009, 11:04 AM

personal favorite place?

http://mistischindele.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/starbucks.gif

nemisis1400
09-17-2009, 11:23 AM
For me all of my transactions have been over at shooting ranges. This isn't for just buying and selling, but because I want to be sure that what I'm getting works. I don't collect the pretty ones, I collect that beat up, messed up, shooter that hits minute-of-pie-plate, that needs a paint job and a good sanding down.

So yeah go to a shooting range, shoot and buy if satisfied.

Tweak338
09-17-2009, 1:07 PM
Starbucks or Fry's Electronics

Seesm
09-17-2009, 9:09 PM
"parking lot" sale...

nemisis1400
09-18-2009, 12:41 AM
oddly enough I did buy some 1000rds of ammo from a fellow calgunner in a fry's electronics parking lot

joeLTron
09-18-2009, 1:05 AM
IMHO the safest place to sell a C&R firearm F2F is at a gun shop. Get to know the proprietor of the one nearest you and they'll have no problem with it. Luckily, I live near Fort Courage and Tim is "the man". That being said, there is no way I would invite a stranger into my home for any reason, especially a firearms transaction.

I should just ask Tim if I could do it at Fort Courage, I'm in there all the time anyways.

Futurecollector
09-18-2009, 1:40 AM
personal favorite place?

http://mistischindele.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/starbucks.gif

Its funny I never thought of it but, yeah I have always done transactions in a parking lot of a Star bucks, sold ammo, bought ammo, tradded C&R etc etc thats great now that I think of it...

packnrat
09-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I kinda like doing it in the shadows in the alley behind the quickey mart.

Not really.
in there home,
your home, (not so good),
parking lot,
most gun stores do not like these deals going down in there shops.
(read no$$$).

ledman
09-18-2009, 10:56 PM
hehe, that sounds familiar joefrank, thanks:)! How is the K98? Got it out to the range yet?
I have no problem with people coming to my apt. You can get a feel for them, and if they have good feedback, they why not? They are coming into YOUR home... and if you get a bad vibe, and something goes horribly wrong, ask them to leave, if they refuse, you know what that means, lol...I usually keep a loaded pistol, out of sight, but easily accessilbe to me:D MY house, my rules! You ain't gonna steal my stuff without a fight! Also, discreet parking lots work well, or, GO into the gun shop with your rifles, most are more than accomadating to let you inspect a firearm in the safety of their store.
SO, rellay, if you know you are going to a guys house, that has guns, is that your first target of a robbery? Probably not.

I don't think it's naive at all...I've met up with people at their home for firearm-accessory related purchases (the last was bowling pins)...you get a feel for people from their posts and when you talk with them on the phone.

The last C&R rifle I bought from a CalGunner, after talking with the guy, I would've met up at his house or had him out to mine, no problem...it just happened to work out better in that instance to meet at Riflegear in Costa Mesa...