PDA

View Full Version : Slow ATT Uverse Internet

psango
09-15-2009, 4:15 PM
If you are suffering from slow page loads using ATT Uverse internet
This worked for me. Replace the DNS server setting to use the public DNS servers listed at this address:
https://www.opendns.com/start/

There is instructions how how to configure you DNS setting for most operating systems. This greatly improved my page load times.

I'm not sure what the ATT's problem is but if you do a traceroute to their listed DNS server it's very slow.

6172crew
09-15-2009, 4:42 PM
If you are suffering from slow page loads using ATT Uverse internet
This worked for me. Replace the DNS server setting to use the public DNS servers listed at this address:
https://www.opendns.com/start/

There is instructions how how to configure you DNS setting for most operating systems. This greatly improved my page load times.

I'm not sure what the ATT's problem is but if you do a traceroute to their listed DNS server it's very slow.

Cool tip! I wonder if your DNS server is the same one used by folks in other parts of CA?

psango
09-15-2009, 5:01 PM
Cool tip! I wonder if your DNS server is the same one used by folks in other parts of CA?

Not sure about that, my suspicion is that it is an internal AT&T network problem probably related to security measures needed to protect their DNS servers from being hijacked.

I did not have this problem with regular ATT DSL only after moving to the Uverse installation. I have what ever the fastest package is. It is fast on downloads and all other functions just the DNS resolution was slow. Beats me, but many users have been complaining about it.

Uverse is a new product ATT only offers fiber to the node not to the house, so I imagine they are working on a solution, This however has worked for me. The TV works OK for me also.

bohoki
09-15-2009, 5:50 PM
when i hooked up with the dsl i did a speedtest and it was over 700k down

i did a test a test last week and only got 650k down

just now i did the same one and i'm getting 1.1m down

the whole dsl is screwy

lazyworm
09-15-2009, 6:37 PM
uverse had been great for me (much better than comcast) since
day 1.

The only exception was this past Sat. Performance had been
very bad all day Sat. The symptom was that most of the DNS
requests were slow or timing out. This persisted until I rebooted
the router and all the cable boxes. Thinking back I guess the
lightning/thunder storm on Sat morning messed them up.

OP: have you tried resetting all the boxes?

psango
09-15-2009, 7:27 PM
uverse had been great for me (much better than comcast) since
day 1.

OP: have you tried resetting all the boxes?

It's standard procedure for me to recycle the router if I notice a performance problem. I also clear the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns). Another useful command is: (ipconfig /displaydns), which allows user to see the url in the cache and what ip is being used.

You can also edit the wait time used to hold data in the dns cache by editing the registry (remember to backup the registry first).

I have Windows, Mac OSX and Linux systems and each one is of course different when it comes to resolving these issues.

locosway
09-15-2009, 11:57 PM
To add to this. Not only will you get faster and safer DNS with OpenDNS, but you can setup filtering at the DNS level which CAN NOT BE BYPASSED.

If you have kids in the house or if you just don't want the phishing sites this is a must.

JDay
09-22-2009, 1:32 AM
Not sure about that, my suspicion is that it is an internal AT&T network problem probably related to security measures needed to protect their DNS servers from being hijacked.

More likely a routing issue, all you need to do to protect your DNS servers from being poisoned is configure DNSSEC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System_Security_Extensions

sfwdiy
09-22-2009, 1:14 PM
More likely a routing issue, all you need to do to protect your DNS servers from being poisoned is configure DNSSEC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System_Security_Extensions

Digitally signed DNS data. Good idea.

--B

Blackhawk556
09-22-2009, 6:07 PM
my att dsl has been going really slow lately, everytime im watching a video it slows and pauses. it gets really annoying when watching lots of videos online.

lazyworm
09-22-2009, 6:22 PM
ATT dsl (not uverse) sucks. I just got rid of the one at work today.
Performance goes down the drain when there is more than a few people
using it -- not a bandwidth issue, but seems like it would just degrade
with multiple concurrent streams.

Blackhawk556
09-22-2009, 11:12 PM
ATT dsl (not uverse) sucks. I just got rid of the one at work today.
Performance goes down the drain when there is more than a few people
using it -- not a bandwidth issue, but seems like it would just degrade
with multiple concurrent streams.

the same thing happens with comcast, but at least with comcast the speed is high

high_lander
09-23-2009, 11:45 PM
My 2Wire doesn't allow me to change my DNS settings.

gimmejr
09-24-2009, 8:36 AM
my att dsl has been going really slow lately, everytime im watching a video it slows and pauses. it gets really annoying when watching lots of videos online.

Mine would do this until I lost the wireless and just hooked it up with ethernet.

cfm117
09-29-2009, 12:21 AM

You cant change DNS addresses on Uverse in the RG. You gotta hard code it on each computer. On the TCP settings instead of obtain IP automatically, put in manual dns servers. Dont touch the top set of IPs, they are for LAN IP's. I also use OpenDNS. Resolves much faster than ISP issued DNS plus you have a ton of content control.

JDay
09-29-2009, 12:24 PM

Instructions here.

https://www.opendns.com/start/device/2wire

cfm117
09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Instructions here.

https://www.opendns.com/start/device/2wire

The Uverse gateway is different from the ADSL gateway.

AlliedArmory
09-29-2009, 2:29 PM
mine has been running just fine ever since i got it last year