PDA

View Full Version : Looking for shooting areas in So Cal...

mousberg15
09-15-2009, 12:07 PM
I usually go to burro canyon or L.A gun club, but now looking for legal shooting areas out in the open (deserts or mtns). Any suggestions???

nativeofsandiego
09-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I am looking for places near San Diego county as well...

olhunter
09-15-2009, 3:24 PM
If you want to stay legal -

BLM land is your best bet. They allow hunting and target shooting.

Carrizo Plain is pretty close -

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bakersfield/Programs/carrizo/hunting.html

Most maps I've seen are pretty confusing regarding where BLM starts and stops. There seems to be lots of little pieces if you're not in a big area like Corrizo.

National Forest land allows hunting, but not target shooting.

Somewhere on the Internet (don't feel like looking for it right now) is a map of LA County shoot/no-shoot areas. The white areas are open for all, yellow shotgun only, green National Forest, red no-shoot, but the map is from 1994, so your mileage may vary.

I don't know about San Bernardino or Kern counties. Maybe you can just drive out in the middle of nowhere and shoot. :D

I usually go to burro canyon or L.A gun club, but now looking for legal shooting areas out in the open (deserts or mtns). Any suggestions???

mousberg15
09-15-2009, 5:36 PM
I've been to the mirage desert area, know where any of thoses "illegal" places might be....

Why can Commufornia be more like Arizona's gun laws???:confused:

If you want to stay legal -

BLM land is your best bet. They allow hunting and target shooting.

Carrizo Plain is pretty close -

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bakersfield/Programs/carrizo/hunting.html

Most maps I've seen are pretty confusing regarding where BLM starts and stops. There seems to be lots of little pieces if you're not in a big area like Corrizo.

National Forest land allows hunting, but not target shooting.

Somewhere on the Internet (don't feel like looking for it right now) is a map of LA County shoot/no-shoot areas. The white areas are open for all, yellow shotgun only, green National Forest, red no-shoot, but the map is from 1994, so your mileage may vary.

I don't know about San Bernardino or Kern counties. Maybe you can just drive out in the middle of nowhere and shoot. :D

DesertDawg
09-16-2009, 4:30 AM
Be sure to check with the BLM office responsible for the area where you want to shoot. I haven't checked for awhile, but I believe that they still have restrictions (due to the fire hazard) in many locations. Those restrictions may be lifted in October or November.

50 Shooter
09-17-2009, 6:40 PM
El Mirage dry lake area if off limits to ALL shooting, to many off roaders out there.

If you want to go a little further, take the 15 North to the 40 East. After passing Barstow, get off at Yermo Daggett exit. Turn right and then left (T intersection) and then drive out as far as you feel like driving. I would suggest a couple miles, don't shoot any glass (cattle out there) and clean up after you're done.

mousberg15
09-18-2009, 8:18 AM
....will do that. Thanks for the info!

El Mirage dry lake area if off limits to ALL shooting, to many off roaders out there.

If you want to go a little further, take the 15 North to the 40 East. After passing Barstow, get off at Yermo Daggett exit. Turn right and then left (T intersection) and then drive out as far as you feel like driving. I would suggest a couple miles, don't shoot any glass (cattle out there) and clean up after you're done.