PDA

View Full Version : cmp m1 carbine question

nlpro
09-15-2009, 9:20 AM
sorry if this has been ask a lot but i am thinking of ordering a m1 carbine from the cmp and can not choose between rack or service grade. i just want a decent shooter and a good piece of history .

are the rack grades good shooters ? and if anyone has pictures of some rack grade carbines i would love to see them :D

5hundo
09-15-2009, 9:25 AM
The service grades will be cleaner and come with a new stock but either will be just as cool of a "piece of history". The rackers, almost more so because the stock will show it's age.

FWIW, I ordered an Inland racker that was delivered to me a couple weeks ago. It's a great shooter but the underwood barrel was a slight disappointment. It shoots great though....

rjf
09-15-2009, 9:31 AM
decent shooter and a good piece of history

Rack Grade Inland for $419 + shipping to your door.

If you want "insurance" get the Service Grade. I can't tell the difference between rack and service on the carbines I have received.

nlpro
09-15-2009, 9:34 AM
thats good to know that they are good with the price i may beable to afford a rack grade carbine and a garand or 2 carbines lol

nlpro
09-15-2009, 9:40 AM
The service grades will be cleaner and come with a new stock but either will be just as cool of a "piece of history". The rackers, almost more so because the stock will show it's age.

FWIW, I ordered an Inland racker that was delivered to me a couple weeks ago. It's a great shooter but the underwood barrel was a slight disappointment. It shoots great though....

how long of a wait on your order did you have

5hundo
09-15-2009, 10:11 AM
how long of a wait on your order did you have

Ordered in April.

Arrived a couple weeks ago...

RudyN
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Last week I received my M1 Carbine. It was a Saginaw Service Grade. It is in Darn Good shape. The stock has only two dings in it, nice looking barrel and only a little surface rust. I ordered it in June and, as I said, received it last week.

froman118
09-15-2009, 3:12 PM
Rack Grade Inland for $419 + shipping to your door.

If you want "insurance" get the Service Grade. I can't tell the difference between rack and service on the carbines I have received.

I've been going back on forth on which one to order, Rack or Service. At $419 for the Inland Rack grade I could use the $150 savings over a Service grade to help pay for a Garand.

Any thoughts on what grade to get a Garand in? Rack, Field or Service Grade?

RudyN
09-15-2009, 5:33 PM
I've been going back on forth on which one to order, Rack or Service. At $419 for the Inland Rack grade I could use the $150 savings over a Service grade to help pay for a Garand.

Any thoughts on what grade to get a Garand in? Rack, Field or Service Grade?

I bought a M1 Garand in Rack Grade back in 2004 and it was in great shape with all good parts. It was not a foreign return and the stock is in very good shape. Of course that was 5 years ago and I have not seen what CMP is sending out now.