PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Acquisition... (1917 Enfield)

5hundo
09-14-2009, 10:41 PM
I added a couple 1917 Enfields onto my last CMP order and they showed up last week. I've never shot one and so far, it feels kinda nice. It reminds me more of a Garand than an 03-A3. It's heavy and well balanced. I can't wait to get it out on the range...

Maybe some of you experts out there can school me on the various stamps and cartouches.

A good overall shot. The wood and metal appears to be in great shape, although I think it had to have been re-arsenaled at least once.:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0318.jpg

Here's the serial number and manufacturers stamp. I thought the Serial Number was fairly low (90,xxx):

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0313.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0315.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0304.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0301.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0306.jpg

5hundo
09-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Couple more

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0310.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0316.jpg

Crusader
09-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice looking rifle. How many did you get?

Peter in CA
09-15-2009, 3:04 AM
5hundo,
Your Enfield was reworked in the WW2 time frame, with a new barrel by High Standard (the "HS" stamped into the barrel. The other barrel maker for 1917's was Johnson Automatic "JA") and the rebuild stamp of OGEK on the stock is thought to be Ogden Arsenal, with the inspector being Elmer Keith. Yes, Elmer Keith the famous writer on guns and shooting.

A really nice score if I may say so.

Peter in CA

5hundo
09-15-2009, 6:22 AM
Nice looking rifle. How many did you get?

I got two...

A friend wanted one, so I ordered one for myself too. I kept the one with the older serial number (the other one was in the 300,000 range)...

5hundo,
Your Enfield was reworked in the WW2 time frame, with a new barrel by High Standard (the "HS" stamped into the barrel. The other barrel maker for 1917's was Johnson Automatic "JA") and the rebuild stamp of OGEK on the stock is thought to be Ogden Arsenal, with the inspector being Elmer Keith. Yes, Elmer Keith the famous writer on guns and shooting.

A really nice score if I may say so.

Peter in CA

Thanks for the info...

Yeah, I figured by the mismatched color between the barrel and receiver that the rifle must have been rebuilt at some point. Still, I can't get over what great shape the metal is in! That wood was even better than I expected too. There are a few scratches and gouges on the wood but not bad, considering...

Argonaut
09-15-2009, 9:07 AM
These are WONDERFUL rifles. They were the primary battle rifles in WW1. Many were sold by the DCM after WW2. They were the basis for the M700 Remington and were built as a commercial rifle by Remington between the wars. They are super strong (and heavy) All were built in the US, even the P14 303 British version. I bought 21 of them for 300 OD dollars not too many years ago. Like all the old military rifles, They come on the market in waves from the importers so prices vary greatly for common rifles. They have probably the best sights on a military rifle and were copied in the Grand. I have one in 458 Win Mag that is very modern. Many of the DCM rifles were cut down to be more sporter like. Yours looks great.

5hundo
09-15-2009, 9:15 AM
I bought 21 of them for 300 OD dollars not too many years ago.

If you should come across any more deals like that, you'll be sure to let me know, right? :eek:

Thanks for the background info too... ;)

knucklehead0202
09-15-2009, 9:28 AM
kicking myself still for not buying a p17 at the show. i'd like to at least have one each, a p14 and a p17, such exquisite rifles. enjoy that baby.

AngryPossum
09-15-2009, 9:30 AM
Dumb Question:

I thought CMP didn't offer these for mail order....only pick up...how did you get em? I would love to get my hands on one.

5hundo
09-15-2009, 9:33 AM
kicking myself still for not buying a p17 at the show. i'd like to at least have one each, a p14 and a p17, such exquisite rifles. enjoy that baby.

No-go gauge is en-route. Midway's already shipped it, so if all goes well, maybe some range time this weekend...? :cool:

Here's a question for an expert: this rifle is equipped with these inserts that are probably too thin to be called "pillars" but from an acurizing standpoint, probably perform the same function. See here:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/5hundo/IMG_0304.jpg

I have a FAT wrench, but I was torn between torquing it to 40 in-lbs or 65 in-lbs. I'm not sure it matters a whole lot but I figured I'd ask. I torqued it to 60 in-lbs. Is that good or bad?

Peter in CA
09-15-2009, 9:58 AM
5hundo,
I am far, far away from "expert", but I believe the inserts keep you from deforming the stock when the action screws are tightened. Mausers have something like it (but thicker) on their rear action screw.

I have never measured the torque on an action screw. Hand tight is all I ever go. If they loosen while shooting, tighten them some more.

Peter in CA

Argonaut
09-15-2009, 10:22 AM
many features of this rifle were stolen from original Mauser Patents........

5hundo
09-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Dumb Question:

I thought CMP didn't offer these for mail order....only pick up...how did you get em? I would love to get my hands on one.

Well, now that's in interesting question....

There was a point in time where the Service Grade 1917s went up on the CMP page and it didn't say that they were unavailable for mail-order. I had previsouly sent out my order (when they only had the "salvage grade" 1917s available) and during the time it was "in limbo", the service grade rifles became available. I had sold a Garand to the same guy that bought my other P17 and he had said that if I could get my hands on one, grab it and he'd buy it from me. When I had seen they were available, I immediately sent them an e-mail to the effect of "I would have put two 1917 Enfields on my order but they weren't available when I sent my order out. Would it be possible to add two 1917s to my order?"

A few days later, they modified the webpage to say "In store only" (or whatever it says now). So, I figured I was S.O.L. but a few days after that, a lady from CMP e-mailed me and said "I've added two 1917s to your order. Do you want us to bill it to the same card?" :eek: :D

So, I guess I'll chalk it up to good luck. You might wanna try the same thing I did, if you still want one and you've got a pending order in with the CMP. Orest is a good dude. I talked to him on the phone about the Krags that I should be getting shortly and asked if he could ship me a couple more (even though the website said that they wouldn't). He paused for a minute on the phone, then said "Ugh... Okay, I'll send you two more."

It's worth a try. Just be nice and very cordial. Remember, these are good, God-fearing southerners with reverence for courtesy, so use lots of "please" and "thank you"... Maybe even a "I'm really sorry to bother you. I know y'all are very busy."

knucklehead0202
09-16-2009, 9:33 PM
i go hand-tight as well, and adjust accordingly. tightening too much can really F things up, including function and accuracy. i wouldn't go about torquing. i use the same principal with my scope mounts and rings with good result. trying to breed too much precision into these things makes them silly and difficult without any real benefit aside from the fact that your yuppy gun buddies will think you're sophisticated. the old stuff has worked for a long time: learn it, live it, love it.

5hundo
09-17-2009, 9:20 AM
i go hand-tight as well, and adjust accordingly. tightening too much can really F things up, including function and accuracy. i wouldn't go about torquing. i use the same principal with my scope mounts and rings with good result. trying to breed too much precision into these things makes them silly and difficult without any real benefit aside from the fact that your yuppy gun buddies will think you're sophisticated. the old stuff has worked for a long time: learn it, live it, love it.

Haha...

You're proabably right. I actually bought a scope-mounting kit that came with the FAT wrench, so I wanted to try it out. The KISS method is usually the best method...

BTW, the rifle headspaced on a no-go gauge... (just barely)

Looks like it will be a good shooter...

nic
09-18-2009, 8:52 AM
Nice score, dude. Let us know how she shoots!

reidnez
09-19-2009, 4:57 PM
Very nice!

Mustang
10-24-2009, 8:35 AM
Haha...

You're proabably right. I actually bought a scope-mounting kit that came with the FAT wrench, so I wanted to try it out. The KISS method is usually the best method...

You are good to go. If it doesn't close on a "no go" gauge, you are plenty safe. The actual test to use is a "field" gauge, which is even longer than a "no-go".

The "go" and "no-go" are mainly used to install a new barrel. The field gauge is used to determine if an older rifle is still safe from a headspace perspective.

Mustang
10-24-2009, 8:42 AM
Haha...

CMP makes a nifty muzzle gauge for about 35 bucks. I always take my field gauges and muzzle gauges when I prowl the gun shows/pawnshops/gun shops.

5hundo
10-26-2009, 7:56 AM
CMP makes a nifty muzzle gauge for about 35 bucks. I always take my field gauges and muzzle gauges when I prowl the gun shows/pawnshops/gun shops.

I actually would like to have a .30 muzzle gauge. Those are pretty cool...

So far, my headspace gauge collection is fairly sparce. I've got no-go gauges for 30-40 and .30-06, but that's it. Luckily, the 30-40 gauge also works for .303 and the .30-06 gauge works for multiple other cartridges (.270, 25-06, 35 Whelen, etc)...

Mustang
10-26-2009, 9:56 AM
I actually would like to have a .30 muzzle gauge. Those are pretty cool...

So far, my headspace gauge collection is fairly sparce. I've got no-go gauges for 30-40 and .30-06, but that's it. Luckily, the 30-40 gauge also works for .303 and the .30-06 gauge works for multiple other cartridges (.270, 25-06, 35 Whelen, etc)...

Some people poo-poo the necessity of a head space gauge. I have 30.06, 7.65 x 53, 8 x 57 and 7.62 x 54R Field gauges because they are cheap and easy to use. Those calibers are well represented in my collection and I shoot my rifles in vintage matches at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center (SVSC), so I want to have confidence that they are safe. I also have plenty of 7.5 x 55 and 6.5 x 55 rifles, but frankly, the rifles that shoot those calibers are usually in such good condition, I doubt the necessity of checking the head space.

I usually use a surplus round "bullet test" to check the muzzle wear on the non-.30 caliber rifles, because muzzle gauges for the non-.30 calibers are rare and expensive.

If you live near Sacramento, you might come out to the SVSC with your new rifle some time and shoot in the "Military Silhouette" match.

http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/Military_Rifle_Silhouette_1.html

5hundo
10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
If you live near Sacramento, you might come out to the SVSC with your new rifle some time and shoot in the "Military Silhouette" match.

http://www.sacvalley.org/SacVal/Military_Rifle_Silhouette_1.html

I'm up in Jackson quite a bit, visiting family. I'd actually love to do this, sometime...

Thanks for the info!!!