PDA

View Full Version : Finally a full fledged FFL

Capt. Speirs
09-14-2009, 8:36 PM
Started back in February and just got my CFD # today with a High Cap Mag Permit. Long road finally over, good times ahead. Let's hear it for the 2nd Amendment.:clap:

Blue
09-14-2009, 8:37 PM
Woot woot woot!!!!!! :D

rulas41
09-14-2009, 8:53 PM
where is your store

Capt. Speirs
09-14-2009, 8:58 PM
where is your store

Kitchen Table for now, keep the overhead down till I can afford brick and mortar.

halifax
09-15-2009, 5:50 AM
Congrats :)

missiondude
09-15-2009, 9:46 AM
Congrats-
Can you post what you did to get your FFL, and what the experience was like, good and bad parts? I thought kitchen table FFL was no longer an option unless coupled with a gunsmithing business. Maybe just more FUD, but I would be curious how the process worked.

OCArmory
09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Congrats.

mike

CAL.BAR
09-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I was told by ATF when investigating the possibility of FFL for myself that I would be expected to actively engage in the business of firearms sales. I asked what that means and if I needed to sell a certain number of firearms per year. They wouldn't commit, but they did hint that they expected some number.

Please let us know how this goes for you.
Similarly, if any other P/T FFL's have input, I'd be curious.

It has always been my opinion that if a person goes through as much a you have to go through and pay what you have to pay to get and keep an FFL, it shouldn't matter if you only use it for personal collection.
I can get a law degree and not practice law and I can get a medical degree and not practice medicine, but get an FFL, and they'll take it away from you if you don't use it every year.

freakshow10mm
09-15-2009, 1:04 PM
That's because an FFL is a federal business license. If you aren't in business, you don't get to maintain an FFL.

1923mack
09-15-2009, 5:13 PM
Congradulations on the FFL. I had also heard that brick and mortar were required for an FFL.

freakshow10mm
09-15-2009, 5:52 PM
One must comply with local zoning ordinances. If a firearms business is not allowed to be operated from a residential zoned premises, the ATF will not issue the FFL.

halifax
09-15-2009, 9:34 PM
If you get past the locals, the ATF requires that you are in the BUSINESS of selling guns. My inspector did cruise the neighborhood looking for schools though.

general jacks
09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Congrats....

Hopefully I'm right behind you.

Best of luck!!

Capt. Speirs
09-16-2009, 9:20 PM
If you get past the locals, the ATF requires that you are in the BUSINESS of selling guns. My inspector did cruise the neighborhood looking for schools though.

My inspector passed two schools on the way over to my house, one is less than 1000' from my house.

JandJArmory
09-16-2009, 9:37 PM
I tried to get one in OC and I was told NO WAY. I too wanted to cut down on the operating costs. Mabey it comes down to the city you live in. I did hear at one time that HB. Was the only city that still allowed Kitchen Table FFL;s. What city are you in? And did you need business permits and city inspections?
Please tell us Im curious to know how it worked in your favor. Congrats! +1 for more FFL's in OC. We will be the strong hold for CA.

Capt. Speirs
09-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I tried to get one in OC and I was told NO WAY. I too wanted to cut down on the operating costs. Mabey it comes down to the city you live in. I did hear at one time that HB. Was the only city that still allowed Kitchen Table FFL;s. What city are you in? And did you need business permits and city inspections?
Please tell us Im curious to know how it worked in your favor. Congrats! +1 for more FFL's in OC. We will be the strong hold for CA.

I am in Orange, an additinal business license for Firearms Sales is required and has to be approved by the OPD. Yes, they inspect the premises. OPD is very nice to work with, very professional and courteous.

remington
09-17-2009, 5:48 PM
I'm in Corona at my kitchen table as well. No issues with ATF, DOJ or PD. But the city demands $400 per year for a firearms permit. My biggest issue is finding good wholesalers that will will work with KT (kitchen table) dealers. I don't intend on trying to compete with the big box guys or event the locals. You will find other FFL's are usually very helpful. Mike from OC Armory has taken the time to talk to me more than once which I really appreciate.

Nick

Capt. Speirs
09-17-2009, 8:13 PM
I'm in Corona at my kitchen table as well. No issues with ATF, DOJ or PD. But the city demands $400 per year for a firearms permit. My biggest issue is finding good wholesalers that will will work with KT (kitchen table) dealers. I don't intend on trying to compete with the big box guys or event the locals. You will find other FFL's are usually very helpful. Mike from OC Armory has taken the time to talk to me more than once which I really appreciate.

Nick

$400.00:eek: Orange only charges $41.00 per year.

KillZone45
10-11-2009, 4:33 PM
Kitchen Table for now, keep the overhead down till I can afford brick and mortar.

So does this mean I can do business with you? For the un-educated what does this mean, as in what do you offer to the public?

leitung
10-11-2009, 5:06 PM
I am gonna start mine here too within the next 2-3 months.. as funds allow..

Mine won't be a kitchen table, rather the corner of my living room, until I can convert my den into an office. I have to tear out the floor the damm dog peed all over and re paint and re shelf.
After I do that, I will be a stocking dealer with a showroom and inventory in my own home. I know of at least 2 home based FFLs in my area. I am sure it's legal.

Capt. Speirs
10-12-2009, 1:09 PM
So does this mean I can do business with you? For the un-educated what does this mean, as in what do you offer to the public?

I can do anthing that a store front FFL can do (except sell ammo out of the house, city ordinance) and yes I do provide services to the public.

steaze
12-01-2009, 9:53 PM
im actually browsing this forum right now to find a FFL near me in north oakland cuz im too far from OC armory! there are very few places that i miss in orange county but oc armory was one of them. dros'ed my first handgun there!

(end derail post)