PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Mosin "matching"?

Flogger23m
09-14-2009, 4:52 PM
What are all the parts on a Mosin that makes it a matching rifle?

I have a 91/30 that has the same number on the receiver, bolt, stock steel plate, and magazine.

Any other place that is supposed to have numbers on it?

762cavalier
09-14-2009, 6:01 PM
I think those are all the parts that are marked. Are they all original stamped or is there any that are electropenciled in?

footdoc
09-14-2009, 6:26 PM
My 2 cents...

The barrel should have stamped serial number, and the barrel bands should have stamped arsenal mark. If you take the rifle apart, the receiver tang should also have arsenal mark/year.

I think original (not refurbed) rifles should have russian cryllic letter in front of the numbers on all parts (just my observation).

Flogger23m
09-14-2009, 6:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.

rulas41
09-14-2009, 7:47 PM
on mine the bolt the mag base and reciver have same seriel number

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-14-2009, 7:48 PM
Depends on the type of Mosin. Rearsenaled ones might have a few changes on the barrel bands or individual bolt pieces.

mosinnagantm9130
09-14-2009, 7:48 PM
Soviet mosins can be a little wierd when it comes to matching. Some people consider a refurb with matching numbers matching. Others, like myself, say that it is only truely originally matching if it was never refurbed, all parts are correct arsenal for the rifle ( although this can be iffy, as the soviets and finns mixed in old useable parts with the new ones ), and the serial numbers on the barrel shank, bolt, floorplate, and buttplate are matching with full, correct cyrllic prefixes.

bplvr
09-15-2009, 7:42 PM
On the 91/30's the bayonet is also numbered . I got a 91/30 with everything stamp matched including the bayonet from "Moore's C&R " [google it ] for $135.00 . REALLY nice piece ! He may still has some left.

hybridatsun350
09-15-2009, 8:20 PM
There are a very few original matching numbered Mosins left, and the ones that do exist probably aren't in this country. We have electro-pencil matched and stamp matched. I believe the one's that are re-stamped are done in the Ukraine, and are very nice refurbs. I have one myself and it is a beautiful rifle to be sure, but it is far from an original, numbers matching rifle.

The standard parts that are stamped on a Mosin are the butt plate, bolt body, magazine floor-plate, and the barrel.