PDA

View Full Version : *Any Greek Calgunners?* M1 Garand with Greek History

soulska
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
So back in 2005 I received my M1 Garand from the CMP. Full of cosmoline I got her all cleaned up and noticed that someone at one point of this garands life etched into the trigger group. To my amazement it turned out to be greek writing. I took it to my friend who I latter found out was born in Greece, but left to the US early in life. I feel that I need to have a fellow calguns member give me more info on what is written. If someone would be able to help me find out the history of this rifle please contact me via PM and i will be more than happy to come to you. The pictures you see are of the actual etching (i know its a crappy pic, but its hard to capture)and the loose translation. I really would like to know what this grand has been though. I know that the lend lease program landed the garand in Greece, but after that its a mystery.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/5150micronian/IMG_003.jpg

EBR Works
09-14-2009, 10:49 AM
It says "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" ;)

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/your-mother-is-a-hamster-and-your-father-smells-of-elderberries-49309.jpg?1175652927

Oh wait, that was a French thing!

Interesting find though!

Spiggy
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
oh, that's an age old warcry, it's literally translated as "SPAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAAH!!!" :P OK, I don't read greek... though I do eat greek on occasion

bwiese
09-14-2009, 1:03 PM
Paging Dr Jones...

Seesm
09-14-2009, 1:38 PM
Pretty neat history possibly on your M1.. .GL figuring it out... Let us know as the story unfolds... :)

G-Man WC
09-14-2009, 6:11 PM
Let me brush up on my Greek and I'll let you know what it say's here soon. -g

Spiggy
09-14-2009, 9:49 PM
perhaps it says "Dry clean only" :D

Cool Gun Wife
09-15-2009, 4:10 AM
I am pretty sure it says "Join the NRA" - But if that is not it you could be looking at a recipe for stuffed grape leaves, hard to tell.

Cool Gun Wife
09-15-2009, 4:04 PM
Sent this to my son who actually knows Greek. He said that the four words are translated correctly, but he doesn't know of any relationship between them, or any significance to their being on the gun. We tried.

510dat
09-15-2009, 5:50 PM
According to my Greek-speaking friend (via instant messenger):

the first greek word is mispelled
it either means pharmacy, medicine, or drugstore
most likely teh first
the second is a name
the last word is "kisses"
filakia is "small kisses"
filaki is jail
NHKI is probably a name too
so it probably says:

"Pharmacy Dimitrios, Aunt Niki, kisses"

BUT; the spellings are suspect, and could greatly change the meanings of the words. If you can double-check the spellings, that would be helpful. (I'm still chatting with him)

filakia is a VERY informal closing
Me: maybe the recipient was in a medical unit?
unlikely
not with filakia at the end
thee again, niki could arguably be "god grant us victory"
if someone is a really bad speller

510dat
09-15-2009, 6:10 PM
My buddy gave up and called his mom, and he came back with this:

according to mom
translating greek from before 20 years ago is hard because everyone spells everything differently
she is convinced that the weapon belonged to someone named Dimitrios Farmaio
And that it was a gift from someone named NHKI
but the proper spelling of the name is NIKH
also victory is spelled NIKH
so you're dealing with an engraver/owner who didn't know how to spell
which, as she said, was common

soulska
09-15-2009, 10:46 PM
^
thank you so much! i will try to get a better pic or trace the characters better.

510dat
09-16-2009, 1:35 PM
That would be good; my friend is hoping to nail down the translation more closely.