PDA

View Full Version : Out of state FFLs that won't ship C&R to CA

bhaworth
09-13-2009, 6:44 PM
Many out of state FFL sellers of C&R do not understand that they can ship to CA FFL03 without the advance approvals required of FFL 1 to FFL 1 transfers. What is the best information I can give them to correct this misunderstanding?

AA Armory for instance answered my query about selling C&R long guns to me "Due to recent CA rules, we can't even ship to a FFL holder without first asking permission from CA, which we won't do, sorry, but it may be time to vote the anti-gunners out."

I wrote back trying to correct their misunderstanding and suggested they are helping the antigunners by extending the problem to where it does not yet exist!

Any advice?

ke6guj
09-13-2009, 6:47 PM
Point them to the CFLC FAQ, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php#4

Are any California FFLs exempt from the CFLC verification approval requirement?
Yes. The CFLC program does not apply to FFLs with Type 03 (curio and relic collectors) and Type 06 (ammunition dealers) licenses.

bhaworth
09-13-2009, 7:35 PM
Perfect. I sent this link to the dealer. Now I will find out if he just wants to punish me for being a Californian!

KT7Y/6

emcon5
09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Curious how this worked out.

TRICKSTER
09-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Usually I just refer them to this DOJ Bureau of Firearms memo and and ask them to read the first paragraph on page 2.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/2008-BOF-01.pdf

bhaworth
09-18-2009, 7:19 AM
They just ignored me.

Nodda Duma
09-18-2009, 1:07 PM
They just ignored me.

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a C&R in CA post-CFLC. No one outside the state gives a crap whether it's legal or not. You're in California, where in their eyes you're either a hippie or you don't vote for people who would erase California gun laws.

-Jason

xzw151
09-18-2009, 1:29 PM
Don't ya know, its our own fault for not moving out of Commiefornia. Forget that I was born here, my family is here, my wifes family is here, my job is here, my wifes job is here, my kids are going to school here etc, If we actually cared about our rights we would move. :rolleyes:

jmax
09-18-2009, 4:41 PM
A friend of mine has a C&R and has had no problems so I suppose it is a small outfit and your sale is not worth the effort. They will probably not be long for the world anyway with that level of service.

dfletcher
09-18-2009, 8:21 PM
Many out of state FFL sellers of C&R do not understand that they can ship to CA FFL03 without the advance approvals required of FFL 1 to FFL 1 transfers. What is the best information I can give them to correct this misunderstanding?

AA Armory for instance answered my query about selling C&R long guns to me "Due to recent CA rules, we can't even ship to a FFL holder without first asking permission from CA, which we won't do, sorry, but it may be time to vote the anti-gunners out."

I wrote back trying to correct their misunderstanding and suggested they are helping the antigunners by extending the problem to where it does not yet exist!

Any advice?

I deal with clients & must often either correct them or tell them that what they may want to do (or want me to do on their behalf) might not be in their best interest. One recently asked me to draft guidelines keeping service animals out of their building, or in the alternative to have them penned when on property. Sometimes hard to resist commenting "are you nuts?" but telling them how foolish or wrongheaded they may be usually doesn't lead to success - politely appealing to their self interest may.

In the case of an out of FFL dealer, telling them that they are absolutely correct - they must abide by CFLC when shipping to a CA FFL Dealer - is a good start. Then informing them you are not an FFL Dealer but merely a Type 03 Collector and by the way, there are many more of us in CA who would like to buy from them and we're not covered by CFLC might stand a chance, especially if you send them the regulations.

Finish out by saying you would neither ask them to do anything illegal nor tell them how to run their business, you respect their decision, thanks for your time and hope to hear from you and do a little business. Sometimes people just need to let a new idea percolate a little bit, gives them the chance to believe they thought of it on their own. ;)