PDA

View Full Version : Someone complained i was sporting Assault Rifles at the Range Today

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 4:11 PM
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu80/316tactical/ranre007.jpg

I took 6 of my friends and co-workers today to the range to spread the evilness of Black Rifle. 4 of them are first time shooters.. yes they are noobs and it's there first time to fire a gun moreso a rifle. The other 2 is my buddy who usually go out and shoots with me and the older gentleman was former chief of police in the Philippines.

anywho.. off we go to the Manteca Sportsmans Club at the wee hour of Sunday morning just to avoid other shooters of taking up the benches are available. However i was surprised the rifle range is almost half full. So we took 3 benches and i start unloading my 6 evil black rifles and start shooting using my newly built Larue Rifle. Then teaching the young kids on proper safety, range ettiquite and other little things when it comes to range rules. And yes i was asked by several shooters if my gun is legal and what kind if gun is it. Lots of them are positives and one gentleman was very much interested of getting one.

After an hour of shooting i noticed one of the staff was right behind observing and looking real close to our group. Sensing that something was wrong i stood beside him while loading some mags. Then he asked me if all my rifles just recently built? I told him.. some are just recently built and they are in compliance of the stupid California Law of having a locked mag or bullet button. He replied.. Good, 'coz he was being told by the front office to go to us coz there's been a complain that we were shooting ASSAULT RIFLES..:43:

He told me he kinda face palm himself after hearing it 'coz he owns an evil AR15 himself. We talked for several minutes about the AB962 and other stuff and he asked if he can have the empty brass casings if we don't reload. I told him go ahead and have fun with it.

Overall.. it was fun day.. the noobs were having a blast and the police were not called for some uninformed individual got scared of the EBR.:D

thank you calguns for giving me the disease of EBR. :eek:

PolishMike
09-13-2009, 4:19 PM
Ive had similar experience's in Manteca. I make the drive out to livermore now, MUCH more friendly range.

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 4:21 PM
Ive had similar experience's in Manteca. I make the drive out to livermore now, MUCH more friendly range.

Really? The Range it's actually friendly except you can't rapid fire and some occasional shooters who don't know squat about EBRs.

rkt88edmo
09-13-2009, 4:24 PM
nice rifle

PolishMike
09-13-2009, 4:24 PM
Really? The Range it's actually friendly except you can't rapid fire and some occasional shooters who don't know squat about EBRs.

I like the facilities better in Livermore too. I like being able to shoot pistols and rifles without having to pack everything up and move.

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 4:27 PM
nice rifle

thanks..:D

I like the facilities better in Livermore too. I like being able to shoot pistols and rifles without having to pack everything up and move.

that's true.. except i have 4 noobs with me and the only place that is perfect for the situation is in Manteca.

BroncoBob
09-13-2009, 5:17 PM
Hey sweet looking rifle! Don't let a few FUD mongers train wreck your day. I've brought my black rifles to Manteca many, many times and only had one older guy ask me about my Spikes ST-22 if it was legal. Steve who is usually running the desk in the office is a pretty cool guy and up on all the issues. Range officers are pretty much in the loop what is and what is not legal. Mark your calendar for next Saturday the 19th and bring all your evil rifles down to Panoche Hills for the pinata shoot III. Lots of fun with pinatas, black evil rifles and tannerite.

West coast
09-13-2009, 5:24 PM
Nice rifle!!!!!!!!!!

calnurse
09-13-2009, 5:43 PM
I would also complain too! I would complain that I don't have a sweet looking rifle like that :D

AngelDecoys
09-13-2009, 5:51 PM
However i was surprised the rifle range is almost half full.

Not uncommon this time of year. Deer season is right around the corner.

After an hour of shooting i noticed one of the staff was right behind observing and looking real close to our group. .....

..... Good, 'coz he was being told by the front office to go to us coz there's been a complain that we were shooting ASSAULT RIFLES..:43:

.....He told me he kinda face palm himself after hearing it 'coz he owns an evil AR15 himself.

Sounds like Roy and your experience isn't uncommon. I've checked rifles myself while being an RSO on the rifle range. Probably really wasn't a complaint, just someone being concerned. Old folks you know. ;)

Its not to necessarily be critical of you, but sometimes shooters don't have their rifles configured properly (eg. often a bullet button AND 20-30 round mag). I'd probably just give you a little encouragement to look up the laws, show you my rifle, and hand you a flow sheet so you don't take the chance of getting popped. Its really just a CYA for both parties.

Glad you had a good time. Wish I had gotten down there myself today.

ETA: FYI - Just in case you didn't get the subtly in this post combined with your pic.
12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

1.A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
A.A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
B.A thumbhole stock.
C.A folding or telescoping stock.
D.A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
E.A flash suppressor.
F.A forward pistol grip.
2.A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
3.A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

Good thing that's a 10 round mag that's been pinned right? ;)

wilit
09-13-2009, 6:54 PM
I really don't understand why ranges think it is their duty to enforce California law (not that's what happened in this case, but the RO still checked up on you). There is no law against bringing a legally owned and registered AW to a range and shooting it with 30 round pre-ban mags. Also, the dude who tattled on you sucks, because obviously he doesn't know squat about the law and should not be fingering people for illegal weapons. ARGH... Just makes me so frustrated.

AngelDecoys
09-13-2009, 7:09 PM
.......a legally owned and registered AW to a range and shooting it with 30 round pre-ban mags...... ARGH... Just makes me so frustrated.

I'm sure there's a great reason to put a bullet button on a registered AR. Wish I could think of one. :rolleyes:

Ranges don't like to check rifles either. Better told by an RSO, then an officer while shooting someplace else.

ChrisO
09-13-2009, 7:10 PM
That range blows and I don't like having my personal info put into some guys personal laptop every single time I go.

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 8:43 PM
Good thing that's a 10 round mag that's been pinned right? ;)

surfing in calguns everyday makes you learn lots of information regarding the stupid california laws:rolleyes:.

spending too much money on a rifle just to be confiscated by cops is a bit stupid. yes they are in compliance of the law.;)

anothergunnut
09-13-2009, 8:47 PM
Both registered assault weapons and CA compliant rifles are common as dirt at Manteca. You will see plenty the first Sunday of the month at the high power match. Many of the club members, including the offices and directors, have them. Just because some once a year shooter whines to the front office doesn't mean you aren't welcome to bring CA legal rifles to Manteca.

AngelDecoys
09-13-2009, 9:10 PM
yes they are in compliance of the law.;)

OK. Good thing. Wasn't trying to hassle you. Complaint rifles are always welcome. Pic just looked to me like an OLL with bullet button. Legal rifle to be sure.

So just to clarify for my own information, you're saying a bullet button OLL is still legal when a larger then 10 capacity magazine is inserted?

ke6guj
09-13-2009, 9:18 PM
So just to clarify for my own information, you're saying a bullet button OLL is still legal when a larger then 10 capacity magazine is inserted?I don't think that is what he is saying. He probably means that he is complying with the 10-round max requirements with what appear to be 10/30 mags, 10-round mags that look like they hold 30-rounds.

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 9:21 PM
OK. Good thing. Wasn't trying to hassle you. Complaint rifles are always welcome. Pic just looked to me like an OLL with bullet button. Legal rifle to be sure.

So just to clarify for my own information, you're saying a bullet button OLL is still legal when a larger then 10 capacity magazine is inserted?

you have been here in calguns for the longest time and yet you don't know a 10/30 mag is? :eek:

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 9:22 PM
I don't think that is what he is saying. He probably means that he is complying with the 10-round max requirements with what appear to be 10/30 mags, 10-round mags that look like they hold 30-rounds.

yep.. it's simply aesthetics...:p

pennys dad
09-13-2009, 9:29 PM
Start carrying many copies of the EBR flow chart we have here on CGN. Drop a few off at the front desk and maybe explain how the chart works and carry a few with you to your bench so the curious can gain from the awesome knowledge here on CGN.
If you can get the range management interested maybe we can host a range day there and provide EBR information to the incoming shooters and range folks?

blkrifle223
09-13-2009, 9:30 PM
yep.. it's simply aesthetics...:p

Hahaa...

Very nice rifle:cool:

AngelDecoys
09-13-2009, 9:37 PM
I don't think that is what he is saying. He probably means that he is complying with the 10-round max requirements with what appear to be 10/30 mags, 10-round mags that look like they hold 30-rounds.

That's what I'm thinking too but others who are new might benefit from the clarification.

you have been here in calguns for the longest time and yet you don't know a 10/30 mag is? :eek:

Don't be a tard. Of course I KNOW. Just trying to check that YOU know without trying to be a total *** about it. A lot of new people read threads. Someone who hasn't been here for awhile would look at your rifle and think its ok to set it up with high capacity mags. Can you tell by the pic? I can't and I bet someone who is building their first EBR wouldn't know either.

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Don't be a tard. Of course I KNOW. Just trying to check that YOU know without trying to be a total *** about it. A lot of new people read threads. Someone who hasn't been here for awhile would look at your rifle and think its ok to set it up with high capacity mags. Can you tell by the pic? I can't and I bet someone who is building their first EBR wouldn't know either.

not trying to be an *** but you don't have to post the and highlight the law regarding mag capacity as if i don't know it. a simply clarification will do.;)

technique
09-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Nice...so did it shoot well? Hows the Larue barrel?

wildhawker
09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
not trying to be an *** but you don't have to post the and highlight the law regarding mag capacity as if i don't know it. a simply clarification will do.;)

I think he was pointing it out to others reading the post, not specifically directed at you. It's always nice to have the info in the post so newbs can find it in a search.

Seesm
09-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I call them "Sport" rifles if anyone calls them "assau*t" rifles...

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Nice...so did it shoot well? Hows the Larue barrel?

love it bro.. shoots very smoothly... all i need is a scope and it would be good to go..:D

JohnnyRooks
09-13-2009, 11:02 PM
I think he was pointing it out to others reading the post, not specifically directed at you. It's always nice to have the info in the post so newbs can find it in a search.

got it..:o

caoboy
09-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Who really goes to a range and goes and tattles about someone's gun?

I mean...are they that ignorant of the law that they don't know about it? Do they actually think someone would bring an illegal gun to the range? Or are they actually scared of the EBR? :confused:

Nice AR btw!

wildhawker
09-13-2009, 11:13 PM

By the way, nice rifle and great work getting those guys to the range- this is how to make RKBA happen in CA, folks! If you need flowcharts we'll have plenty at the J&R Sports Customer Appreciation Day event (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=220295) (Livermore) this coming Sunday.

AngelDecoys
09-14-2009, 12:00 AM

No biggie. No harm, no foul. Were both big boys. Next time you're out, let me know and we'll split a few mags. Thanks for bringing out (and teaching) a few kids. Concur with Brandon, it all helps to keep RKBA going for the future.

......Do they actually think someone would bring an illegal gun to the range? ......

It happens. Right after 9/11 one of the local 'muslim' farmers came out with an AK with a few of his friends. All dressed in traditional garb. People noticed.

technique
09-14-2009, 1:16 PM
It happens. Right after 9/11 one of the local 'muslim' farmers came out with an AK with a few of his friends. All dressed in traditional garb. People noticed.

Probly the same guy who was asked to leave our local range....for his own safety....he tried to pick a fight with a guy wearing an "infidel" shirt.

Just about everyone at the range stopped what they were doing:43:

rumblebee
09-14-2009, 2:03 PM
and hopefully that shirt was attached to a big ***** US Marine.....not the smartest thing our laundry wearing friend could have done :D

Probly the same guy who was asked to leave our local range....for his own safety....he tried to pick a fight with a guy wearing an "infidel" shirt.

Just about everyone at the range stopped what they were doing:43:

technique
09-14-2009, 2:20 PM
Everyone was asked not to leave for 15min after the guy was told to leave.....they wanted him to get a head start. :D

And I don't know if the guy was military or not.....but he would have handled it quickly to say the least.

rumblebee
09-14-2009, 2:36 PM
LOL! :D

Everyone was asked not to leave for 15min after the guy was told to leave.....they wanted him to get a head start. :D

And I don't know if the guy was military or not.....but he would have handled it quickly to say the least.

socomIInato
09-14-2009, 4:39 PM
I call them "Sport" rifles if anyone calls them "assau*t" rifles...

I like that term:SPORT RIFLE:could this be the beginning of a new terminology?:eek:

Leonidas
09-14-2009, 4:49 PM
Does anyone have a contact phone number for the Manteca range? I was hoping to set up an Appleseed Shoot at that range. Do you think it would be well received?

Rob454
09-14-2009, 4:57 PM
its been my experience at ranges you ALWAYS have that ONE guy who wants to get in everyones business and complain about something. he is always right, knows every law on the books and will simply not leave you alone.

I had a guy next to me one time ( this was about 8 years ago) tell me that my mossberg 500 is illegal. i had a pistol grip on it. i told him its not illegal since its a pump action not a semi auto. he turned around and went to the range master and complained so much that theire allowing illegal weapons to be shot. The range master came out and looked at my weapons and turned around and told the guy there was nothign illegal about my guns.
The guy was still giving me dirty looks

packnrat
09-14-2009, 5:10 PM
So what if you were shooting legal assault weapons.

You are allowed to shoot them at a legal shooting range are you not??

but as your legal auto reloading riflesare not aw were should there be a problem.

dwa
09-14-2009, 5:26 PM
should have challenged the guy to define what an actual assault rifle is

Fire in the Hole
09-14-2009, 6:18 PM
I find that often time a good offense is the best defense. Next tim, I'd go to the RSO, before I even began to shoot, right after I paid my fees. And say, "Look, here is the CA legal rifle that I'll be shooting today. Please look at it to satisfy yourself that it's compliant. Because I know sure as Hell, somebody is going to do a sneeky report to you, that I'm shooting an assault rifle. I just want you to know in advance so that you can set them straight from the get-go. Thanks."

Or you can so what I do. I had my wife use that paint glue to paint on the back of my shooting shirt. "It's a CA Legal Black Rifle. Now Please Go Away"

AngelDecoys
09-14-2009, 6:20 PM
Does anyone have a contact phone number for the Manteca range? I was hoping to set up an Appleseed Shoot at that range. Do you think it would be well received?

Follow my signature for the link to the range. An Appleseed shoot would be well received. Putting together a proposal for the board isn't hard. The initial question will probably be when (after deer season I'd presume). Second would be size of group, cost of advertising (if desired), and if insurance is covered (or extra needed). And lastly, who will be running it. How many volunteers would be willing to set up, help run it, and clean up after. Doable, but lots of questions.

its been my experience at ranges you ALWAYS have that ONE guy who wants to get in everyone's business and complain about something....

Private range with public access. Ranges are concerned with liability first, servicing the member needs second, and trying to provide a friendly place for non members. If you read my initial post, asking is more of a courtesy, then an inquisition. Flow chart is posted in the club house. If its legal, you'd be welcome to enjoy your day shooting it. If not, you'd likely be asked to put it in your vehicle and shoot something else. Or leave, shooters choice. That's reasonable.

evollep3
09-14-2009, 6:44 PM

johnny if you are in the 209 area go to San Joaquin Gun and Rifle Range ALOT less people and room for you to relax without people hasseling you thats where i go now. i use to go to livermore and Manteca and i hated Manteca and livermore is too far for me now these days from stockton

Dr Rockso
09-14-2009, 6:47 PM
When I worked at a range a year ago I had several people come up to me to tell me "that guy over there is shooting an assault rifle." Only had one guy argue with my "it's legal" reply, since he claimed he had called the DOJ to find out if there was any legal way to own an AR in CA (they apparently told him there wasn't).

bruceflinch
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
It's not called an AR for nothing...:D

Sweet looking piece. Let's see the other 5! :)

mountaindweller
09-14-2009, 10:08 PM
http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu80/316tactical/ranre007.jpg

I took 6 of my friends and co-workers today to the range to spread the evilness of Black Rifle. 4 of them are first time shooters.. yes they are noobs and it's there first time to fire a gun moreso a rifle. The other 2 is my buddy who usually go out and shoots with me and the older gentleman was former chief of police in the Philippines.

anywho.. off we go to the Manteca Sportsmans Club at the wee hour of Sunday morning just to avoid other shooters of taking up the benches are available. However i was surprised the rifle range is almost half full. So we took 3 benches and i start unloading my 6 evil black rifles and start shooting using my newly built Larue Rifle. Then teaching the young kids on proper safety, range ettiquite and other little things when it comes to range rules. And yes i was asked by several shooters if my gun is legal and what kind if gun is it. Lots of them are positives and one gentleman was very much interested of getting one.

After an hour of shooting i noticed one of the staff was right behind observing and looking real close to our group. Sensing that something was wrong i stood beside him while loading some mags. Then he asked me if all my rifles just recently built? I told him.. some are just recently built and they are in compliance of the stupid California Law of having a locked mag or bullet button. He replied.. Good, 'coz he was being told by the front office to go to us coz there's been a complain that we were shooting ASSAULT RIFLES..:43:

He told me he kinda face palm himself after hearing it 'coz he owns an evil AR15 himself. We talked for several minutes about the AB962 and other stuff and he asked if he can have the empty brass casings if we don't reload. I told him go ahead and have fun with it.

Overall.. it was fun day.. the noobs were having a blast and the police were not called for some uninformed individual got scared of the EBR.:D

thank you calguns for giving me the disease of EBR. :eek:

Tell'm to go cry and call their mommy, then remind them it is a gun range.

mountaindweller
09-14-2009, 10:10 PM
When I worked at a range a year ago I had several people come up to me to tell me "that guy over there is shooting an assault rifle." Only had one guy argue with my "it's legal" reply, since he claimed he had called the DOJ to find out if there was any legal way to own an AR in CA (they apparently told him there wasn't).

People are so dumb...mind your own business unless you are getting shot at.

caoboy
09-15-2009, 1:01 AM
johnny if you are in the 209 area go to San Joaquin Gun and Rifle Range ALOT less people and room for you to relax without people hasseling you thats where i go now. i use to go to livermore and Manteca and i hated Manteca and livermore is too far for me now these days from stockton

That's where I go to shoot. I love that range. It may not be the best looking range around, but it's cheap, and everybody there is friendly, or keeps to themselves. I've never seen a problem, I've also never seen more than 5 people at the 100yd, and usually I'm the only one on the 50yd (shooting .22).

tbone
09-15-2009, 2:37 AM
I just purchased a California Legal Suomi M31 Assault Rifle 9mm from Atlantic firearms. I told them they can keep their 32 round high-capacity magazine which they would have sent with the rifle ( in pieces ) however my FFL dealer told me they will only accept the rifle with no magazine even if it was in pieces which was fine with me. My question is I have purchased two of these 72 round suomi drums back in the early 80s at a gun show. The drums are from World War II and I just purchased them because of the price which was $10 each at the time. So if I go to my local gun range and put in one of the 72 round drums do you think that would be a problem? The rifle itself has absolutely no evil features whatsoever. Thanks in advance for the help.

JohnnyRooks
09-15-2009, 4:25 AM
No biggie. No harm, no foul. Were both big boys. Next time you're out, let me know and we'll split a few mags. Thanks for bringing out (and teaching) a few kids. Concur with Brandon, it all helps to keep RKBA going for the future.

yep..will do... it should be fun...:)

JohnnyRooks
09-15-2009, 4:47 AM

thanks i will that range sometime soon..;)

JohnnyRooks
09-15-2009, 4:52 AM
It's not called an AR for nothing...:D

Sweet looking piece. Let's see the other 5! :)

check out my sig link...:D

these are the kids that i took to the range and all of them are now hooked and wanted to be a gunowner.. more RTKBA...:43:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/DSC02446.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/DSC02433.jpg

JohnnyRooks
09-15-2009, 4:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/DSC02430.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/DSC02437.jpg

Rob454
09-15-2009, 5:47 AM
s. If you read my initial post, asking is more of a courtesy, then an inquisition. Flow chart is posted in the club house. If its legal, you'd be welcome to enjoy your day shooting it. If not, you'd likely be asked to put it in your vehicle and shoot something else. Or leave, shooters choice. That's reasonable.

I'm not talking about the guy who has a illegal weapon. Im talking about Joe Average who came in with either a legal rifle, or a legal built rifle or a legal registered assault weapon but there is the one guy who thinks he needs to spread his wisdom to everyone there.

ke6guj
09-15-2009, 1:44 PM
I just purchased a California Legal Suomi M31 Assault Rifle 9mm from Atlantic firearms. I told them they can keep their 32 round high-capacity magazine which they would have sent with the rifle ( in pieces ) however my FFL dealer told me they will only accept the rifle with no magazine even if it was in pieces which was fine with me. My question is I have purchased two of these 72 round suomi drums back in the early 80s at a gun show. The drums are from World War II and I just purchased them because of the price which was $10 each at the time. So if I go to my local gun range and put in one of the 72 round drums do you think that would be a problem? The rifle itself has absolutely no evil features whatsoever. Thanks in advance for the help.

Using large-capacity magazines in a featureless rifle is legal.

doc1buc
09-15-2009, 2:25 PM
Good point on Deer season. I was at YSA, best range ever, and all the once a year shooting deer hunters were giving me the stink-eye over my EBR's, SKS, all those guns that were only deseigned to kill, and if it ain't a remington 700 like mine, it ain't a rifle, etc. No one said anything or asked any questions and I left it as is. Irritating as all hell though. That's a rarity there,however, most guys, even the older fellows, love just seeing younger shooters there. Well comparatively younger to them anyways.

Gary13
09-17-2009, 2:49 PM
I shoot at Manteca fairly often. Met up with Angeldecoys once for a lesson, nice guy. Manteca is local for me, and I rarely have the time to get to Stockton to shoot. Most of the people are nice at Manteca. I wish I would have made it Sunday, they had their monthly handgun fun shoot.

Also, if a Appleseed shot comes to Manteca, I am interested.

evollep3
09-17-2009, 3:27 PM
i like the Jack stand and the daniel defense m4 i almost kept one for my self when i have a few of them in stock :( kinda regret that i didnt they were so comfortable

BroncoBob
09-17-2009, 6:43 PM
Jack stands are the cheapest way to go. MSM has about 6 or so available to shooters on the rifle range.

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-22-2009, 9:24 PM
EBR is one mroe diesease my wallet cant afford.

ASM826
01-11-2010, 6:30 AM
I like that term:SPORT RIFLE:could this be the beginning of a new terminology?:eek:
"Assault Rifles" are ugly, nasty, dangerous, full auto weapons that only our police need.:TFH:

Our pleasant, friendly, semi-auto, "Fun Guns" are just the thing for a pleasant afternoon at the range.;)

sniper5
01-11-2010, 1:31 PM
Oh, the police don't use those ugly, nasty, dangerous, full auto "Assault Rifles". Those are for evil criminal types.

They carry "Patrol Rifles". Those are a LOT different.;)

sniper5
01-11-2010, 1:33 PM
If you are confused, check out the California illegal Colt AR15A2 assault rifle. Then compare it to the Colt AR15A2 patrol rifle. The difference is obvious.

GunNutz
01-11-2010, 3:01 PM
What kind of a person complains about that? People need to mind their own business.

IsaacGlass
01-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Is there a CGN Flowchart tee-shirt?

caoboy
01-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Is there a CGN Flowchart tee-shirt?

You should tell SATF to make one!

wksun88
01-12-2010, 1:55 PM
its been my experience at ranges you ALWAYS have that ONE guy who wants to get in everyones business and complain about something. he is always right, knows every law on the books and will simply not leave you alone.

I had a guy next to me one time ( this was about 8 years ago) tell me that my mossberg 500 is illegal. i had a pistol grip on it. i told him its not illegal since its a pump action not a semi auto. he turned around and went to the range master and complained so much that theire allowing illegal weapons to be shot. The range master came out and looked at my weapons and turned around and told the guy there was nothign illegal about my guns.
The guy was still giving me dirty looks

And even IF someone's build is illegal, the only reason you would tell them would be out of courtesy since you don't want the guy getting arrested without realizing he did anything wrong. I don't get the guys who complain about other people's "assault" rifles just out of spite. On the other hand, they are probably just jealous :D

bomb_on_bus
01-13-2010, 7:16 PM
Man I hate that!

The same thing pretty much happened to me when I brought out my mini Windrunner to 5 dogs a couple years ago.

Some lady came flying out of her mini-van yelling at me for having an illegal setup even though she couldn't tell me what it was that was wrong with the rifle.

I explained the gun to her and how it was in fact perfectly legal to own and possess. She wouldn't have any of it and ran up to the range officers shack and just about all the staff came down in golf cars and ATVs to see what the heck she was screaming about.

They checked out the gun and knew that it was fine. They went further on to say that they have had more then one of those guns at their range and have seen its .50bmg brother there from time to time.

The womans husband comes over with his kids following to see what all the commotion is all about. So everyone talked about the situation and the husband took the wife by the hand and took her back to the mini-van tossing her butt in the back.

After that we all laughed about it and had a good time but that dudes wife stayed in the van the rest of the time he was there shooting. I guess she was too embarrassed to come out to play.

Like others have said before, carrying the flow chart is a godsend on the range. But sometimes that won't keep the FUD away.

diginit
01-13-2010, 7:31 PM
Wow, This is an old thread. I saw Pinata shoot III mentioned. That was great fun.
I could see if someone was walking into B. of A. or a courthouse with a black rifle, But why would someone complain about a rifle on a range? Legal or not.
Maybe they thought terrorists need more target practice?

potatonrules
01-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm new to this thing an only have one AR15. Each time I go to the range, everything looks illegal =)

larryratcliff
01-24-2010, 5:33 PM
It was the opposite when I went to chabot this weekend the rifle benches were about 80% AR's My friend and I were in the minority by far I had my mini and he had a tikka... but the only comment I had as we were walking by all of the AR's was that I was getting rifle envy :)

niceguy
01-24-2010, 8:54 PM
And even IF someone's build is illegal, the only reason you would tell them would be out of courtesy since you don't want the guy getting arrested without realizing he did anything wrong. I don't get the guys who complain about other people's "assault" rifles just out of spite. On the other hand, they are probably just jealous :D

Spot on. People do much to advance the "sport", and grow the knowledge base among our folk by caring about other shooters on the line. If someone has a good piece of info to share with me, I'm all for it! Especially in Manteca.... And I'll be pretty quick to nicely inform a guy if there's something wrong, to help him "out" before he gets "in", and to help spread knowledge, since he'll hopefully read up on it and tell his buddies, too.

We gotta look out for each other, old and young, FNGs and old timers, all of us. Makes for a much better day at the range.

Seesm
01-24-2010, 10:07 PM
You can not fix dumb but you can try to educate dumb and make less dumb. Sorry for this. GL next time.

38super
01-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Public ranges don't have a choice on customers, they provide a service (God bless'em). In our sport, it is up to us to provide the right atmosphere and example.

KaTooM
01-24-2010, 10:32 PM
I do not under stand why Rifle enthusiasts would turn in their own for a legal technicality that does not even exist.