PDA

View Full Version : I got called SIR at the range today

Desert_Rat
09-13-2009, 2:38 PM
Well I must be getting older than I feel.My wife,son and I went out to 5Dogs this morning.After shooting some rifle,we go over to the pistol range,There are two young men there too.One has a t-shirt that has his Army natl guard unit printed on it.So me,being a former Marine and formerly in the guard as well. I ask the young soldier "where is B co 2/187"(IIRC) this is when it happens he replies "It's at Ft.Campbell Ky,SIR" I just cringed and thought wow am I getting that old? Thats all I just wanted to snivel about getting old.Thanks for burning your time reading.:43:

ocabj
09-13-2009, 2:40 PM
A couple years ago at a match, one of the Junior shooters addressed me as "Mr. Ocab". That made me feel old.

Tragic Image
09-13-2009, 2:47 PM
just to make you feel better.....

I was raised that you refer to anyone as Sir or Ma'am that you don't know.

and Mr. XYZ or Mrs. XYZ if you know them....

don't go feeling old too soon.

Desert_Rat
09-13-2009, 3:20 PM
^Thanks

NRAhighpowershooter
09-13-2009, 5:28 PM
A couple years ago at a match, one of the Junior shooters addressed me as "Mr. Ocab". That made me feel old.

I get called Mr. by the CA Jr. Grizzly's that show up to shoot at Richmond.. then they procede to beat the pants off of us... (well usually Cheyanne does)

%^&$%#@#@!$%#!!%$# kids......... :rolleyes:

tango5
09-13-2009, 8:41 PM
Well I must be getting older than I feel.My wife,son and I went out to 5Dogs this morning.After shooting some rifle,we go over to the pistol range,There are two young men there too.One has a t-shirt that has his Army natl guard unit printed on it.So me,being a former Marine and formerly in the guard as well. I ask the young soldier "where is B co 2/187"(IIRC) this is when it happens he replies "It's at Ft.Campbell Ky,SIR" I just cringed and thought wow am I getting that old? Thats all I just wanted to snivel about getting old.Thanks for burning your time reading.:43:

In the Army they teach us to respect civilians and address them by sir or ma'am. Its not about being old, unless your REALLY old, lol jk.

Crusader
09-13-2009, 9:08 PM
I get snapped at all the time for calling people sir or ma'am at work. It's a sign of respect, sheesh. I'm 19, I already know you're old. That doesn't mean I have to be disrespectful on top of it.

technique
09-13-2009, 9:08 PM
I always call those I don't know Sir or Ma'am...I thought it was respectful. Would you prefer....Duuuuuuude?

mlatino
09-13-2009, 9:11 PM
I always call those I don't know Sir or Ma'am...I thought it was respectful. Would you prefer....Duuuuuuude?

BRAH

TurboS600
09-13-2009, 11:48 PM
I work at a VA hospital as a nurse. You can't help but notice how many times the vets call someone sir or ma'am. It is something that is just so ingrained in service members that it becomes second nature. Since the individual you speak of was a service member, it is commonplace for them to address others with respect. This is also true of persons raised in the South. It is just the way they were trained or raised.

Now, I started to feel old when I first hired someone who was BORN AFTER I GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL!! That will really start to put your age into perspective. Plus, I am a disabled vet and because of by disability it is painful to walk. This makes me feel even older. Sometimes I feel like I am 46 going on 66. Today at Walmart, I actually used the electric scooter cart.:rolleyes: But at least I am not too old to put some rounds downrange and I can still hit what I aim at, sonny boy! :D

Soldier415
09-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Don't call me Sir! I work for a ****ing living!

:D

Jamez
09-14-2009, 2:36 AM
I get snapped at all the time for calling people sir or ma'am at work. It's a sign of respect, sheesh. I'm 19, I already know you're old. That doesn't mean I have to be disrespectful on top of it.

I'm in the same boat :-) i'm 24.
So far i've been the youngest person to attend the NRA instructor courses from what i've seen other than a 15 yr old going for apprentice.
Same thing at IDPA shoots :-)
Most of the time it's people at least 10 yrs younger or older than me.

Rob454
09-14-2009, 4:36 AM

he was probably just being polite, SIR

B Strong
09-14-2009, 5:21 AM

+1

There are certain folks I've known for 30 years that I still address as Mr. or Mrs.

phish
09-14-2009, 9:05 AM
I still get carded for beer, so that's all that matters. :D

professionalcoyotehunter
09-14-2009, 9:09 AM
In the Army they teach us to respect civilians and address them by sir or ma'am. Its not about being old, unless your REALLY old, lol jk.

:iagree:

11Z50
09-14-2009, 9:53 AM
One of the sidelines I have is being an outreach assistant for Military OneSource, and I go out and do briefings for troops either preparing to deploy or those coming home. In the course of doing this I often contact officers who routinely address me as "sir" which feels very odd for me since I was a senior NCO.

I just did a briefing at the Naval Reserve base in San Jose and everybody kept addressing me as sir, which felt weird.

While I am retired from the military, I am only 52 and I don't think I look that old. It's not age that causes the sir and m'am thing. Military people are trained to address each other and civilians with respect, so if you don't have rank on, or are a civilian you are sir or m'am by default.

Interestingly, when I was a DA contractor in Kuwait, the soldiers were told to address us as "mister".

Vanguard
09-14-2009, 9:55 AM
This doesn't have to do with age (I was actually young at the time) but it made me cringe at the time it happened. When I was 20 and in the ROTC program at Penn State, we were at Ft. Dix on a training excercise. We were standing around outside the PX on base with our real Cadre Sergeant (SFC) and I had an E-5 salute me and say "Good morning, sir". I was a cadet major at the time and the rank insignia for that is a diamond. I guess the guy mistook it for a bar. Luckily our (real) SFC saved both the E-5 and myself some embarrassment by saying "Don't salute that maggot, these guys are a bunch of nobodies." We all laughed but I still felt the need to apologize to the guy. :(

Desert_Rat
09-14-2009, 6:15 PM
Most all of the Military mannerisms,I get.I am former USMC and formerly CARNG.But that didn't change a thing when it happened to me.
While on active duty USMC I was charged with showing some Midshipmen around.and when people saluted them I was the one who got to say "Don't salute these guys,they're nobodies"Oh yeah good times.

$imple
09-14-2009, 6:49 PM
Anyone with gray hairs is automatically addressed as "sir" if I don't know them.

Bigballaizm
09-14-2009, 8:17 PM

Thats exactly how I was raised also!! To this day I still do the same thing... older or younger than me!
Dont feel old bro, just a respect thing... :D

packnrat
09-14-2009, 8:27 PM
I know the fealing, strange to be called "sir".

All my life the words people called me. Can not be typed here, but now the same type of people say sir...... Truth is stranger than fiction.:eek:

Desert_Rat
09-14-2009, 8:30 PM
I know the fealing, strange to be called "sir".

All my life the words people called me. Can not be typed here, but now the same type of people say sir...... Truth is stranger than fiction.:eek:

WERD!

bruceflinch
09-14-2009, 8:59 PM
Don't call me Sir! I work for a ****ing living!

:D

Yes Sir! :p

I don't mind being older & called Sir. I say it alot, too. Younger Men seem to respond positively when called Sir. Except for Soldier 415!...:p

bruceflinch
09-14-2009, 9:00 PM
Anyone with gray hairs is automatically addressed as "sir" if I don't know them.

AGEIST! :D