PDA

View Full Version : PPT & Gun Locks?

Someoneelseok
09-13-2009, 2:29 PM
I was PPT-ing my SKS to a buyer at Gun Gallery in Glendale. When the guy opened the bag to inspect the SKS, he asked me, "No Lock?". "No lock, is there some kind of city ordnance?" I said.

He says, "ok well, you are required to have a lock, now I have to sell you a lock."
"What if, the buyer has a gun safe, he doesn't need a lock then."
"No, that's state law. Doesn't matter, the FED's recently changed it (mentions something about section 44), the seller in a PPT has provide a lock or your buyer has to buy a lock, I got audited 2 months ago"

The buyer ended up paying $50 for the PPT. Supposedly $35 for the DROS and $15 for the required lock.

So, is there some kind of Federal Law requiring locks transferred with firearm in a PPT?

I think the guy was spewing FUD for extra $$$, but I'm not so sure.

tlillard23
09-13-2009, 2:39 PM
Not so sure it's FUD, but one of the local dealers has been GIVING AWAY locks with all purchases for at least 2 years. They only cost him ~$1 each and it's better business than shoving a worthless lock down someone's throat (or shoving it un-lubricated elsewhere as the $15 price suggests... )

Arteel
09-13-2009, 2:49 PM
I think can just bring your lock with the receipt next time you do a PPT instead of buying a new lock.

ke6guj
09-13-2009, 3:00 PM
"No, that's state law. Doesn't matter, the FED's recently changed it (mentions something about section 44), the seller in a PPT has provide a lock or your buyer has to buy a lock, I got audited 2 months ago"

The buyer ended up paying $50 for the PPT. Supposedly $35 for the DROS and $15 for the required lock.

So, is there some kind of Federal Law requiring locks transferred with firearm in a PPT?

I think the guy was spewing FUD for extra $$$, but I'm not so sure.

federal law did change to require that a lock be provided for a handgun transfer. But it does not apply to long gun transfers. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=119219&highlight=lock

Looks like the FFL rolled him for an extra $15.

randy
09-13-2009, 4:16 PM
The Feds want a lock they don't care about your safe. They were telling you straight.

VW*Mike
09-13-2009, 4:18 PM
I just ran into this with a long gun PPT at Ironsights. I have always filled out a safe affidavit at other stores. When I picked up a PPT a few weeks ago, unless it was the original lock, or I had a receipt for a lock within 30 days, I was told I had to buy another. Ok, $10 no big deal. Is it stupid, I don't have to answer that as I have a drawer full of locks that I don't use that I got before I had a safe. They are now worthless since I have a safe........... This is the first gun I have bought in '09 though.

ke6guj
09-13-2009, 4:21 PM
The Feds want a lock they don't care about your safe. They were telling you straight.Feds don't care about locks with regards to long guns. They weren't telling him straight.

I just ran into this with a long gun PPT at Ironsights. I have always filled out a safe affidavit at other stores. When I picked up a PPT a few weeks ago, unless it was the original lock, or I had a receipt for a lock within 30 days, I was told I had to buy another. Ok, $10 no big deal. Is it stupid, I don't have to answer that as I have a drawer full of locks that I don't use that I got before I had a safe. They are now worthless since I have a safe........... This is the first gun I have bought in '09 though.

You guys need to confront them on this BS. There is no federal long gun lock requirement, just a state requirement. The Safe Affidavit exemption has not been recinded.

hill billy
09-13-2009, 7:53 PM
You guys need to confront them on this BS. There is no federal long gun lock requirement, just a state requirement. The Safe Affidavit exemption has not been recinded.

Exactly. there is another thread going in handguns about this same thing and some guys are saying to just take it. What the heck? Tell them to stuff it and show them the law or make them show it to you.

joeLTron
09-13-2009, 8:44 PM
$15 bucks for a lock...that sucked ***.

rcantu
09-13-2009, 8:54 PM
you need a lock with a receipt purchased in 30 days at pickup to release it. not when you start the 10 day ppt. so it sounds like partial fud especially $15 for a lock.

new cal shooter
09-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I recently did a PPT and the FFL sold me a FREE yes FREE gun lock that they give away at PD stations for $4 kinda weird, Same place that before sold me one for .01 cent, same store just north of SF by the 580.... Guess it depends on who you deal with.

shooting4life
09-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I buy the lock from the gun store when I start my 10 day wait. When I pick up my gun I take it to the car and come back in and return the lock. I put my extra locks on the Christmas tree as ornaments.