PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing C&R handgun from active duty military stationed in CA?

LAKA90034
09-13-2009, 1:01 PM
I am trying to make a trade with a gentleman stationed at Camp Pendleton. He is an 03ffl and I am not. We are looking to trade a C&R rifle for a C&R handgun.

He does not have CA ID but has his orders..
I have all the required CA items but not 03ffl...

Can this deal be done?

ke6guj
09-13-2009, 1:30 PM
who has which item?

If he has the handgun, you could do a dealer transfer (don't know if .mil can do a PPT) to get the handgun to you. If it is C&R, then it is roster-exempt if it can't be PPTed.

The rifle (if 50+ years old) could be just cash-and-carried to the buyer.

If you have the C&R handgun, then you would need to see if he can receive the handgun through the dealer. If he has PCS orders to CA, I would think he would be able to do a PPT as either buyer or seller. AFAIK, he can purchase in CA as a buyer (like he was a CA resident), so I don't know why a PPT would be any different. But the software system may not allow it. In that case, just do a regular transfer, not a PPT. It may cost you more $$, but it should be do-able.

LAKA90034
09-13-2009, 1:42 PM
Hi. He has the handgun and I have the rifle.

I am tempted to get an 03FFL myself btu I know that would take longer....but it's a good excuse to get one

I wonder if OC Armory or anyone in South OC would handle this?

who has which item?

If he has the handgun, you could do a dealer transfer (don't know if .mil can do a PPT) to get the handgun to you. If it is C&R, then it is roster-exempt if it can't be PPTed.

The rifle (if 50+ years old) could be just cash-and-carried to the buyer.

If you have the C&R handgun, then you would need to see if he can receive the handgun through the dealer. If he has PCS orders to CA, I would think he would be able to do a PPT as either buyer or seller. AFAIK, he can purchase in CA as a buyer (like he was a CA resident), so I don't know why a PPT would be any different. But the software system may not allow it. In that case, just do a regular transfer, not a PPT. It may cost you more $$, but it should be do-able.

ke6guj
09-13-2009, 1:52 PM
The 03 wouldn't really help you in this case.

As long as the rifle is 50+ years old (not just a listed C&R like a Yugo M59/66 that is less than 50-years old) you can just cash-and-carry the rifle to the buyer. He would need to log your info into his bound book.

Now, for the handgun, the best way to have it transfered to you would be as a PPT transfer. That would limit the fees to $35 total. But, if the seller can't do a PPT because of the out-of-state ID, even though he may have PCS orders to CA, then the seller should be able to just transfer the handgun to the FFL, who would then do a dealer transfer to you. At that point, there is no maximum fee that the dealer may charge.

Since the handgun is C&R, the roster does not apply, so you don't have to worry about that. Plus, the federal handgun lock law does not apply to C&R handguns, so you only have to comply with state law, which allows for you to do a Safe Affidavit if you have a qualifying safe.

EOD Guy
09-14-2009, 1:13 PM
The DROS system is set up to take military ID for personnel stationed in California. There should be no problem doing a PPT of the handgun.