PDA

View Full Version : A suspicious post...

imported_11Z50
02-10-2005, 3:27 PM
Check out the WTS......

I believe I read somewhere that it's against a city ordinance to sell ammo in the city of LA.

Could this be another LEO trying to set us up? It has happened here before.

imported_11Z50
02-10-2005, 3:27 PM
Check out the WTS......

I believe I read somewhere that it's against a city ordinance to sell ammo in the city of LA.

Could this be another LEO trying to set us up? It has happened here before.

bwiese
02-10-2005, 3:28 PM
I know.
I was wondering about that - I knew there was some issue w/ammo buying in LA but not sure of details.

Was gonna comment but had to run.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

imported_1911_sfca
02-10-2005, 3:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 11Z50:
Could this be another LEO trying to set us up? It has happened here before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be entrapment.

ivanimal
02-10-2005, 3:35 PM
If you had to prove it, I hope your rich. Lots of good and bad in all walks of life my friend let the buyer beware.

gobabygo
02-10-2005, 3:44 PM
This is the first I've heard of any kind of restriction on ammunition sales between private parties in the city of LA.

The only laws that I know of (from buying ammo from dealers) is that you can't buy ammo the week before New Years and Independence Day and "Vendors" must record and fingerprint all ammo sales.

This mentions the two I referenced:
http://www.lapdonline.org/organization/oo/db/dsd/common_firearms_municipal_codes.htm

I've read through Section 55 of the Municipal Code and don't see anything other than the above 2 items. I don't claim to know anything other than this but I'd appreciate it if someone could point to the specific law that bans ammo sales between private parties. If there isn't a ban, I don't think we should be spreading more false information. Things are bad enough as it is.

imported_11Z50
02-10-2005, 3:53 PM
I stand corrested. I wouldn't be so paranoid, but this is the PRK. Awhile back a guy we suspected of being an LEO was offering to trade ammo he got from his department for guns. He disappeared after we challenged him.

My apologies for those who live in LA if they are offended. I believe it's better to be safe than sorry in these matters.

gobabygo
02-10-2005, 4:02 PM
No offense taken, by me at least. Don't know about all the other LA residents. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

One interest thing I learned was from Section 55.09b of the LAMC:

"no person, including retail gun dealers, shall sell, give, lend or transfer ownership of any firearm ammunition during the period of seven days prior to the first day of January of each year or on the first day of January of each year, or during the seven days prior to the Fourth of July of each year or on the Fourth of July of each year."

Of course this is only within the LA city limits, but it's sorta relevant (if it were one of those 2 weeks).

Mike Searson
02-10-2005, 4:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 11Z50:
Awhile back a guy we suspected of being an LEO was offering to trade ammo he got from his department for guns. He disappeared after we challenged him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to be ignorant but what's the big deal about this?
Was it super duper secret squirrel whammo blammo nuke tipped department only ammo?

Or did some poor slob have an extra case of range reloads they dumped on him?

BigAL
02-10-2005, 4:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Searson:
Awhile back a guy we suspected of being an LEO was offering to trade ammo he got from his department for guns. He disappeared after we challenged him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to be ignorant but what's the big deal about this?
Was it super duper secret squirrel whammo blammo nuke tipped department only ammo?

Or did some poor slob have an extra case of range reloads they dumped on him? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC he wanted to just meet and swap, no FFL or background check. Could be wrong though, it was a while ago.

Mike M.
02-10-2005, 5:51 PM
Okay guys..Im new here....Whats a LEO? Mike

Black_Talon
02-10-2005, 5:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike M.:
Okay guys..Im new here....Whats a LEO? Mike <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Law Enforcement Officer.

Technical Ted
02-10-2005, 6:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Black_Talon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike M.:
Okay guys..Im new here....Whats a LEO? Mike <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

_L_aw _E_nforcement _O_fficer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
or Law Enforcement Only marked firearms and magazines.

TonyNorCal
02-10-2005, 7:01 PM
Do you guys really think that in a place like LA the cops have the time and resources to come on CalGuns and try to entrap people with ammo sales?

I think it would be nice if before slandering someone you versed yourself in the law.

MrTenX
02-10-2005, 7:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony:
Do you guys really think that in a place like LA the cops have the time and resources to come on CalGuns and try to entrap people with ammo sales?

I think it would be nice if before slandering someone you versed yourself in the law. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I wouldn't put it past the LAPD Gun Detail to pull something like that. Things might be a little slow for them right now.
Read this (http://www.crpa.org/pressrls101802.html) and you'll see what I mean. This is only one example.

RRangel
02-10-2005, 7:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony:

I think it would be nice if before slandering someone you versed yourself in the law. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honestly I wouldn't put it past law enforcement. The LAPD has had time to sting and entrap a leather holster maker in Los Angeles city for making and selling one of their undercover police officers a holster used for one of the handguns that are banned in Los Angeles city because they're too small.

The city would catch heck and they can't legally ban guns but they can sure make it hard for the law abiding. This was part of the dumb law the council and mayor got passed "for the children". Imagine retailers are forbidden from selling a Glock 26 because it's too small?

In the past I've also worked in a job where I've seen LA vice in action on a pretty regular basis so yes they do have time.

Technical Ted
02-10-2005, 7:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrTenX:
Well, I wouldn't put it past the LAPD Gun Detail to pull something like that. Things might be a little slow for them right now.
Read http://www.crpa.org/pressrls101802.html and you'll see what I mean. This is only one example. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for posting that. I recall reading that here on calguns when it first happened. Wasn't sure about the circumstances. It does serve to illustrate the reasons some of us would be suspicious of any dealings with LA residents.

Sadly this reflects, on a smaller scale, the hesitancy of some non-California sellers, dealers and vendors to sell to those of here.

singleshotman
02-10-2005, 7:50 PM
I know what you mean, some out of state dealers will not sell to us-i tried to buy a martini-henry in 577-450 off of one of these major web sellers(not an auction site)they said it was iggeal to sell in CA(made before 1898, Antique)
Said they would not sell anything to a CA resident-even with a C & R. Called DOJ and complained and they said the rifle was 100% antique-still this company would not sell to me,
(they said they were losing a lot of Business in CA). Some people are so dumb it's beyond belief.

RRangel
02-10-2005, 7:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrTenX:

Read http://www.crpa.org/pressrls101802.html and you'll see what I mean. This is only one example. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny because when I posted I was thinking of this exact instance only I didn't have the link. Thanks.

Technical Ted
02-10-2005, 7:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Admin:
In the past I've also worked in a job where I've seen LA vice in action on a pretty regular basis so yes they do have time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
One of those "I was young and needed the money" jobs? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RRangel
02-10-2005, 8:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Technical Ted:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Admin:
In the past I've also worked in a job where I've seen LA vice in action on a pretty regular basis so yes they do have time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
One of those "I was young and needed the money" jobs? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd you guess? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Technical Ted
02-10-2005, 8:43 PM
How'd you guess? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"I am unaware of any such activity or operation, nor would I be disposed to discuss any activity if it did exist, sir."

PKAY
02-15-2005, 3:24 PM
Keep in mind, gents, most LEO's are with us. The street cops and CHP lads do not fear an armed citizenry of law abiding folks. It's the heads of departments or elected heads who are the politicians often with ambitions in direct conflict with our 2nd Amendment rights.