PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Panoche Cleanup - Oct 17th, 2009

Pages : [1] 2

Turbinator
09-13-2009, 9:14 AM
Hi everyone,

It's that time again! As promised, I am putting together this fall's Oct 17th 2009 Panoche Hills cleanup session.

Join me and several others doing volunteer work to keep OUR public lands clean and safe to use for all of us.

General game plan:

10AM - arrive at front gate, drive in, assess first spot.. if majorly bad, set up and commence cleanup work. If not, then drive in and tackle another spot.
12PM - lunch and recreation.
Whenever - final cleanup and depart for home.

Some general points you should be aware of:

The BLM has provided me with a sign in sheet for all volunteers, so please be prepared to sign your name with your address, phone #, and email address. For you paranoid folks, this is ONLY to be used by the BLM to show public interest in keeping our lands safe and clean. I've signed in prior, and nothing nefarious has been done.
I will be prepping name tags on the spot for you to wear, to encourage and help members meet other members. Pretty much like last time.
I am coordinating this event with the rangers, they may show up - I'll confirm this to be sure.
Tannerite is welcome, as last time.
If you are driving a non-off road type vehicle, proceed carefully in and around Panoche.. some of those potholes can be a real pain.
Pack your own lunch, and there may be another BBQ set up as we did last time. BroncoBob can confirm this.
You are responsible for your own supplies - plastic bags, tools, gloves, sunscreen, so please bring these to use. Same goes for shooting gear - eyes and ears are required.
I will be taking a lot of photos of the event - if you prefer not to show up in the photos, consider taking along a mask or just ask that your pictures not be shown on Calguns.
For those who have not yet been to Panoche, I will publish driving directions a bit later in the thread.

Please take a moment to RSVP ahead of time (this thread is fine - better for me to keep track as to who will be there). This will allow me to get a sense of how large our group is, for cleanup coordination purposes.

There will be a big focus on SAFETY first, FUN second. If you are planning to attend, please bear in mind that we will be running a safety conscious event and any unsafe behavior will be highly discouraged. Please, no illegally configured firearms, etc. This is not the place for you to be doing this nor do we want to hear about it.

Thanks all, and looking forward to this awesome trip.

Here's the attendee list so far (to be updated):

BroncoBob
sorensen440
sjgunguy24
nagorb
smp89
domokun
Acorn556
dmaverick +wife
doughboy334
evollep3

The above list represents positive replies as of 9/22. Some have said "ok" tentatively but I've marked that as a positive. If you cannot make it, please indicate as such and I'll remove your name from the list.

Turby

nagorb
09-13-2009, 1:51 PM
As of right now I'm in but with school I wont know until the week before.

I hope I don't miss it this time, last time I had to go on a field trip to hollister, I Could almost smell the tannerite.

Rob454
09-13-2009, 1:56 PM
Where is the clean up? if its not too far i can volunteer

nagorb
09-13-2009, 1:58 PM
Near San Jose, far from OC.

BroncoBob
09-13-2009, 4:00 PM
Turby, weather permitting count me in.

Turbinator
09-13-2009, 4:13 PM
Turby, weather permitting count me in.

Very nice - you get out to Panoche a lot, dontcha?

Good point - if the weather is extremely bad, we may not go. So, y'alls be forewarned ahead of time. Muddy conditions won't go well for a cleanup. Overcast, that's fine. I've been out there with some rain, hail actually.. it's not too bad. Downpour? I think we may pass.

Turby

BroncoBob
09-13-2009, 4:22 PM
Very nice - you get out to Panoche a lot, dontcha?

Good point - if the weather is extremely bad, we may not go. So, y'alls be forewarned ahead of time. Muddy conditions won't go well for a cleanup. Overcast, that's fine. I've been out there with some rain, hail actually.. it's not too bad. Downpour? I think we may pass.

Turby

Every chance I get.

smp89
09-13-2009, 5:44 PM
I'm in! The gate will be open by then correct? If so I'm doing an overnighter.

BroncoBob
09-13-2009, 6:28 PM
I'm in! The gate will be open by then correct? If so I'm doing an overnighter.

Yes gate will be open. Last time diginit spent the night.

sorensen440
09-13-2009, 6:34 PM
If I don't have grapes I'm in for sure

Turbinator
09-13-2009, 7:37 PM
If I don't have grapes I'm in for sure

Is that slang for something, or do you literally mean fruit? :D Kidding.

Turby

Turbinator
09-13-2009, 7:38 PM

I hope I don't miss it this time, last time I had to go on a field trip to hollister, I Could almost smell the tannerite.

Excellent, hope your schedule stays open for it.

Turby

BroncoBob
09-13-2009, 8:44 PM

Yeah we just love rookies who are hard on rakes.....lol

Turbinator
09-13-2009, 8:58 PM
Oh yeah BroncoBob, you planning on bringing your BBQ thing again? Just in case some folks want to fire it up?

Turby

nagorb
09-13-2009, 9:05 PM
Yeah we just love rookies who are hard on rakes.....lol

In my defense the rake was already broken and someone decided to repair it with what looked like expanding foam. I'm absolutely sure duct tape would have worked.

domokun
09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
I'll make plans to show up provided the work schedule doesn't get in the way.

BroncoBob
09-14-2009, 3:20 AM
In my defense the rake was already broken and someone decided to repair it with what looked like expanding foam. I'm absolutely sure duct tape would have worked.

Yeah in Mike's defense the rake was a POS. Tried to repair it with some Gorilla Glue that works pretty good most of the time. I didn't have much faith in it lasting.

BroncoBob
09-14-2009, 3:21 AM
Oh yeah BroncoBob, you planning on bringing your BBQ thing again? Just in case some folks want to fire it up?

Turby

Turby, that wasn't my BBQ thingy. I believe it was diginits.

nagorb
09-14-2009, 3:45 AM
Are you just getting up or going to sleep?

Turbinator
09-14-2009, 6:12 AM
Turby, that wasn't my BBQ thingy. I believe it was diginits.

Sorry, my mistake! Well, Diginit, if you can make it.. let us know if the BBQ comes too :)

Turby

BroncoBob
09-14-2009, 7:54 AM
Are you just getting up or going to sleep?

Hey, I'm already up at that time. Just waiting for my commute buddy.

Acorn556
09-14-2009, 8:11 AM
I'f I'm still here I'll be in. Depends on a lot of things not completly in my control.

dmaverick
09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Count my wife and I in.

Turbinator
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Guys, update from Monday 9/14 - here is some disturbing information from the BLM park rangers:

As far as problems or issues in Panoche, there have been a few this year. Mostly, as usual, the endless garbage brought out to use for targets. We've hauled about 5 times what you bagged up last year since then. The other major issue is unauthorized access during the seasonal fire closure. Someone has repeatedly shot the gate hinges and locking mechanism down to slag and pitched the gate over the bank. I understand that they are probably frustrated with access during the summer, but that's not the way to deal with it.

With this type of barbaric behavior, we are looking at possibly losing another shooting site altogether! We need to band together to police this area ourselves and to ensure it stays open for all of us to use in a responsible manner.

I'll need help from everyone, lurkers and regulars alike, to help either stop or report dangerous or illegal activity taking place here at Panoche. With this type of stuff going on, we may not have a chance to continue utilizing this public land.

We'll inspect the condition of the gate when we get there on Oct 17th just to monitor, but it is a darn shame that people see a need to do this kind of thing.

Turby

BroncoBob
09-14-2009, 4:31 PM
Guys, update from Monday 9/14 - here is some disturbing information from the BLM park rangers:

With this type of barbaric behavior, we are looking at possibly losing another shooting site altogether! We need to band together to police this area ourselves and to ensure it stays open for all of us to use in a responsible manner.

I'll need help from everyone, lurkers and regulars alike, to help either stop or report dangerous or illegal activity taking place here at Panoche. With this type of stuff going on, we may not have a chance to continue utilizing this public land.

We'll inspect the condition of the gate when we get there on Oct 17th just to monitor, but it is a darn shame that people see a need to do this kind of thing.

Turby

Good God! What the hell is going on down there? We've got to catch morons doing this and set them straight or turn their butts in. How about posting something down at the sign in station stating that anyone observed damaging or leaving trash will be reported? Hate to get to this point but, this is one of the last of the few places where we can shoot freely.

sorensen440
09-14-2009, 4:37 PM
maybe a wildlife camera pointed at the gate ?

nagorb
09-14-2009, 4:40 PM
I doubt anything we do will stop those people unless we can really make our presence known. I would love to do more but the 2hr drive makes it hard to get to often.

Any suggestions?

nagorb
09-14-2009, 4:41 PM
maybe a wildlife camera pointed at the gate ?

Good idea. It would have to be well hidden

sorensen440
09-14-2009, 4:43 PM
Good idea. It would have to be well hidden
yeah as well as monitored from time to time

nagorb
09-14-2009, 4:43 PM
They could pay me to sit by the gate persuade people from abusing our playground.

nagorb
09-14-2009, 4:44 PM
from what I heard the rangers rarely patrol there.

Turbinator
09-14-2009, 8:19 PM
I'll see if I can make up some kind of weatherproof signage that says breaking open the lock and damaging federal property is a crime, illegal, and perpetrators will be prosecuted. I dunno. Anyone know what the penalty is for damaging federal property like that?

Darn shame - I'm hoping other people read this and can help spread the word that this is NOT acceptable behavior AT ALL.

Turby

Acorn556
09-15-2009, 8:20 AM
I'll see if I can make up some kind of weatherproof signage that says breaking open the lock and damaging federal property is a crime, illegal, and perpetrators will be prosecuted. I dunno. Anyone know what the penalty is for damaging federal property like that?

Darn shame - I'm hoping other people read this and can help spread the word that this is NOT acceptable behavior AT ALL.

Turby

Laminate it.

If we see a BLM ranger this weekend we can ask them what the state code is for it. Usually signs with state codes look more official. Maybe find out what the fines are and put those on the sign

Something like:
Damaging federal property is a felony will earn hand your financial decisions over to the state, new roomates (all male), Free laundry, ocean views (in some cases) and free meals for the next 20 years

Turbinator
09-16-2009, 4:56 PM
Nice idea on the sign but langauge more official than that is probably what is required here. Lamination, for sure.

Turby

Acorn556
09-19-2009, 9:00 PM
Gate was completly broken this weekend. We actually saw some car drive from being back in there.

No ranger all day, much like last month, as expected. they might only make it out there once a month.

Myabe something like " Warning damaging gate is punishable by up to x months in jail and $xxx,xxx fine."

sorensen440
09-19-2009, 9:02 PM
Gate was completly broken this weekend. We actually saw some car drive from being back in there.

No ranger all day, much like last month, as expected. they might only make it out there once a month.

Myabe something like " Warning damaging gate is punishable by up to x months in jail and $xxx,xxx fine."
Yeah It looked like someone hooked a chain to it and ripped the hinges off
It doesnt look repairable to me

nagorb
09-19-2009, 9:14 PM
Any pics of it? I could weld something up to replace it, as long as it was ok with the rangers.

BroncoBob
09-19-2009, 9:16 PM
This really sucks. Actions like this by a few morons will make it tough to keep this place open. I have to agree with Chris, the gate hinge system will have to be completely redone and that gate must weigh in excess of 300 pounds.

nagorb
09-19-2009, 9:18 PM
Lets fix it.

sorensen440
09-19-2009, 9:30 PM
I tried posting it here but it was WAAAAAY to big
So click this to see the gate
http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche 2009/IMG_2719.JPG
(http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche%202009/IMG_2719.JPG)
http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche 2009/IMG_2720.JPG
(http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche%202009/IMG_2720.JPG)
http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche 2009/IMG_2721.JPG (http://www.bumpfire.net/Panoche%202009/IMG_2721.JPG)

domokun
09-19-2009, 9:38 PM
Lets fix it.

We're going to need some heavy machinery/tools to lift that gate up plus some super heavy duty hinges to keep that thing from being ripped off in the future. :( This is in addition to any signs that we're going to put up. Keep in mind that the local ranchers with adjacent properties to the BLM land do use this road to bring water in for their cattle. So fixing the gate might be easy but making sure that all the private land owners that need access have the correct keys to open the locks to get through as needed will probably require the assistance of the BLM rangers.

sorensen440
09-19-2009, 9:42 PM
We're going to need some heavy machinery/tools to lift that gate up plus some super heavy duty hinges to keep that thing from being ripped off in the future. :( This is in addition to any signs that we're going to put up. Keep in mind that the local ranchers with adjacent properties to the BLM land do use this road to bring water in for their cattle. So fixing the gate might be easy but making sure that all the private land owners that need access have the correct keys to open the locks to get through as needed will probably require the assistance of the BLM rangers.
It was pretty heavy duty to begin with and they still ripped it off

I wish they would have gone the easy route and just cut the wire fence 10 feet to the side of the dang thing
Much easier repair

On second thought I wish they would just follow the rules..

nagorb
09-19-2009, 9:43 PM
I'm sure we can come up with something. As I said as long as its ok with the rangers

nagorb
09-19-2009, 9:44 PM
It was pretty heavy duty to begin with and they still ripped it off

I wish they would have gone the easy route and just cut the wire fence 10 feet to the side of the dang thing
Much easier repair

On second thought I wish they would just follow the rules..

Seriously

doughboy334
09-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I'll be in for Oct 17, requested time off from work wayyyyyyy in advance!

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-20-2009, 2:20 AM
Why repair a gate that jackasses will surely take down again?

Turbinator
09-20-2009, 5:22 AM
Why repair a gate that jackasses will surely take down again?

Because that's what good people do, and we're good people. We will help keep society orderly and when there's something wrong that otherwise should be right, we will help keep it right, especially to protect one of our sacred shooting grounds.

Guys, I'm in favor of seeing what we can do to fix the gate. nagorb, if you can weld something, I'll see if the rangers can approve it, this week. What's the extent of your welding expertise? Do you need to be there to do the welding, or can you weld something offsite and bring it in?

Sorensen440, since you were there, do you think fixing the gate is something we could try to do on Oct 17th? It looks heavy as you stated - looks like we have at least a dozen people RSVP'ed for the cleanup, if we had 12 people lifting the gate, you figure we could get something put together?

(You also need to get some image editing software.. hah.. but thanks for the pics)

I appreciate the volunteer spirit here, guys - keep it up!!

ETA - I've just emailed the rangers again to let them know that we want to fix the gate. I'll share the reply here as soon as I get one.

Turby

BroncoBob
09-20-2009, 9:07 AM
Because that's what good people do, and we're good people. We will help keep society orderly and when there's something wrong that otherwise should be right, we will help keep it right, especially to protect one of our sacred shooting grounds.

Guys, I'm in favor of seeing what we can do to fix the gate. nagorb, if you can weld something, I'll see if the rangers can approve it, this week. What's the extent of your welding expertise? Do you need to be there to do the welding, or can you weld something offsite and bring it in?

Sorensen440, since you were there, do you think fixing the gate is something we could try to do on Oct 17th? It looks heavy as you stated - looks like we have at least a dozen people RSVP'ed for the cleanup, if we had 12 people lifting the gate, you figure we could get something put together?

(You also need to get some image editing software.. hah.. but thanks for the pics)

ETA - I've just emailed the rangers again to let them know that we want to fix the gate. I'll share the reply here as soon as I get one.

Turby

Hey Turby, see if you can get knucklehead 61 to do the welding. He does an excellent job of welding from what I saw yesterday at Panoche. He would be the go to guy for the heavy duty welding. Some pieces would have to be prefabbed before hand and welded on site.

Turbinator
09-20-2009, 9:50 AM
Hey Turby, see if you can get knucklehead 61 to do the welding. He does an excellent job of welding from what I saw yesterday at Panoche. He would be the go to guy for the heavy duty welding. Some pieces would have to be prefabbed before hand and welded on site.

I've PM'ed him before about welding, I'll do that now, thanks for the idea.

Turby

Acorn556
09-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Broken....heck the gate was completely off to the side resting against the hill. Someone said it looked like the lock had been shot but I didn't look at it.

Any way to notify the rangers of us coming/gate problems?

edwardm
09-20-2009, 3:11 PM
BLM said the gate was shot up. From the pics it didn't look shot up. It looks like gate vs. big block, and the big block won.

Not that this excuses such behavior, but this may be a result of BLM and EPA being complete c*ckknockers and shutting down Clear Creek for OHV (and all other) use due to some seriously flawed asbestos "science." Point being it may not be shooters doing this, but OHVers.

Turby

BroncoBob
09-20-2009, 3:19 PM
BLM said the gate was shot up. From the pics it didn't look shot up. It looks like gate vs. big block, and the big block won.

Not that this excuses such behavior, but this may be a result of BLM and EPA being complete c*ckknockers and shutting down Clear Creek for OHV (and all other) use due to some seriously flawed asbestos "science." Point being it may not be shooters doing this, but OHVers.

Oh the gate has been shot up a lot. There is nothing up there that hasn't been,. Not sure that was the final blow that brought it down. This gate must weigh in excess of 300 pounds and just to drag it one person can not do. What ever brought this gate down had the ability to move it. Once again I agree with sorensen440 on this and it must have been pulled down.

Turbinator
09-21-2009, 2:30 PM
I don't think it matters who did it; if their actions are going to get Panoche closed, we're all hosed.

Knucklehead 61 got back to me. He can't weld in the field. He'd need the gate brought back to him. No way I can fit that in my car, sorry, guys.

We need a plan b...

Turby

Turbinator
09-21-2009, 2:32 PM
Broken....heck the gate was completely off to the side resting against the hill. Someone said it looked like the lock had been shot but I didn't look at it.

Any way to notify the rangers of us coming/gate problems?

In fact the rangers mentioned it to me that the gate is busted - so they know about it already.

I have already told them that we're going to be onsite. Waiting to see if they'll be ok with us fixing the gate.

Turby

evollep3
09-21-2009, 4:01 PM
im like 70% going to be there most like later on the day tho

BroncoBob
09-21-2009, 5:30 PM
im like 70% going to be there most like later on the day tho

well if we are done cleaning up the top we'll be farther back in.

BroncoBob
09-21-2009, 5:32 PM
I don't think it matters who did it; if their actions are going to get Panoche closed, we're all hosed.

Knucklehead 61 got back to me. He can't weld in the field. He'd need the gate brought back to him. No way I can fit that in my car, sorry, guys.

We need a plan b...

Turby

What! Then how about on top of the BMW?..................:smilielol5::smilielol5:

We need to put the word out for someone who has a portable welder. I'm sure there must be someone in the area that is a calgunner or a friend of a calgunner.

evollep3
09-21-2009, 6:08 PM
sounds good to me

evollep3
09-21-2009, 6:09 PM
What! Then how about on top of the BMW?..................:smilielol5::smilielol5:

We need to put the word out for someone who has a portable welder. I'm sure there must be someone in the area that is a calgunner or a friend of a calgunner.

How about we all just chip in to buy 100 industrial size JB weld :43:

Acorn556
09-21-2009, 6:22 PM
I'm actually surprised he doesn't have a portable welder with him when he showed up.

What if we created a weak point in the gate? Then when someone wants to break in they don't destroy the entire gate and hopefully one day the rangers catch someone right after they break it. Then hit then with a huge fine.

Downside to creating a weak point is people will just use that to get in the back next summer when it closes.

Acorn556
09-21-2009, 6:25 PM
it sounds stupid but what if we just dug a big ditch about 8-10 foot from the gate? Figure if you've got some chain and the length of a truch in front of the gate and just try and make it so they can't get the momentum they need it might help.

Turbinator
09-21-2009, 8:21 PM
it sounds stupid but what if we just dug a big ditch about 8-10 foot from the gate? Figure if you've got some chain and the length of a truch in front of the gate and just try and make it so they can't get the momentum they need it might help.

I dunno, sounds good at first thought.. I like your creativity and I like the fact that you're trying to help solve the problem. The rangers haven't replied to me yet. Keep the ideas coming!

Turby

BroncoBob
09-22-2009, 4:57 AM

Yeah then lets fill it water and alligators......:rofl2:
Seriously this is not to bad of an idea, wonder how it would go over with the farmers who use the access road? What about making some speed bumps or a series of pot holes / ditches? What ever we do as a deterrent the fact of the matter is that the gate still has to get fixed.

BroncoBob
09-22-2009, 5:12 AM
After reviewing sorensen440's photos the fix is fairley simple. However it would take a torch and portable welder to be done in the field. To make the repair the top plate for the hinge system would have to have a hole cut in it the same size as the pipe on the lower hinge point. Then have a prefabbed section of pipe with a top cap welded on it. Once the gate is lifted into position the new pipe section with the cap is slipped into the top hinge point. Then weld around the cap to the top hinge point. Question now is who has the equipment to do this?

Turbinator
09-22-2009, 5:59 AM
After reviewing sorensen440's photos the fix is fairley simple. However it would take a torch and portable welder to be done in the field. To make the repair the top plate for the hinge system would have to have a hole cut in it the same size as the pipe on the lower hinge point. Then have a prefabbed section of pipe with a top cap welded on it. Once the gate is lifted into position the new pipe section with the cap is slipped into the top hinge point. Then weld around the cap to the top hinge point. Question now is who has the equipment to do this?

Brilliant plan - but I don't have the skills or the tools. We'll need someone else to help, please.

Turby

Acorn556
09-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah then lets fill it water and alligators......:rofl2:
Seriously this is not to bad of an idea, wonder how it would go over with the farmers who use the access road? What about making some speed bumps or a series of pot holes / ditches? What ever we do as a deterrent the fact of the matter is that the gate still has to get fixed.

The farmers are the one I was wondering about. If they have to drag a horse trailor up there it might not make them too happy. If they're able to get through it it might work.

I also thought about reenforcing the lock so if someone pulls on it, it becomes much stronger. Kind of like a square knot. The gates down at Harvey Bear Ranch have a lever you have to lift in order for the gate to open. You actually have to make sure the gate is completly closed for it to open if that makes sense. Something like this might add resistance to pulling the gate off but still doesn't get past the need of a welder.

sorensen440
09-22-2009, 11:18 AM
they should just replace the gate with a solid cable and just replace it when broken

Nothing we are going to do is going to stop someone with time and motivation from destroying it

BroncoBob
09-22-2009, 11:55 AM
The farmers are the one I was wondering about. If they have to drag a horse trailor up there it might not make them too happy. If they're able to get through it it might work.

I also thought about reenforcing the lock so if someone pulls on it, it becomes much stronger. Kind of like a square knot. The gates down at Harvey Bear Ranch have a lever you have to lift in order for the gate to open. You actually have to make sure the gate is completly closed for it to open if that makes sense. Something like this might add resistance to pulling the gate off but still doesn't get past the need of a welder.

The broken part was the hinge side not the locking system. They use a chain and pad lock to lock the gate.

nagorb
09-22-2009, 1:01 PM
All we need is a generator.

BroncoBob
09-22-2009, 6:15 PM
All we need is a generator.

Yes and a portable welder and someone who knows what the c*** they're doing. Oh yeah and a torch to cut the hinge pivot point hole.

domokun
09-22-2009, 10:03 PM

Can you get more information about this gate system at Harvey Bear Ranch? I'll ask around to see if I can borrow a Honda generator for that day but no guarantees.

Acorn556
09-23-2009, 9:28 PM
yeah I'll try and find some pictures or take some next time I'm around there. Up in NV right now and coming down to Hayward Tuesday.

Acorn556
09-23-2009, 9:34 PM
it's kind of like a child lock. It lets the gate close without a problem. In order to open it you have to lift the handle so it's flat and that allows the gate to pass the handle and open. If you try and pull the gate open it hits the handle and won't open.

Imagine a C shape cut out of the gate with the C being drawn away from you. This is where the gate sits when it's closed. It has a little peg that sits in here.
Now there is a handle on a hinge that has a square tab to prevent the gate from opening on its own. You lift the handle attached to the tab and it flattens out so the gate will open past it.
When the gate goes to close it pushes the handle/tab out of the way and the handle/tab springs back so the gate doesn't just hit the back of the C and open back up.

I think anyone who's worked on a ranch knows what I'm talking about. Its probably common around people who work with horses.

nagorb
09-23-2009, 9:41 PM
What held the gate closed is still there, its the hinge that was broken. At least that is what it looked like in the pic.

BroncoBob
09-24-2009, 4:47 AM
What held the gate closed is still there, its the hinge that was broken. At least that is what it looked like in the pic.

Winner! Give that boy a stuffed animal

Turbinator
09-24-2009, 6:12 AM
Winner! Give that boy a stuffed animal

With tannerite inside!

Turby

edwardm
09-24-2009, 6:36 AM
Trust me, with BLM it *does* matter who did it. If they decide to pin it on shooters, yes, we're all screwed. I've got just as big a stake in it staying open for shooting and on-trail exploring (great fossil beds in the area) as everyone else, maybe more so, since it serves more than one of my hobbies.

If you legitimately can pin it on the OHV crowd then BLM isn't going to shut Panoche down to shooters; they will realize that ticked off bikers and quad riders are the ones to blame and will focus their attention in that community.

We need pungi sticks!

We need a plan b...

Turby

xrMike
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
If you legitimately can pin it on the OHV crowd then BLM isn't going to shut Panoche down to shooters; they will realize that ticked off bikers and quad riders are the ones to blame and will focus their attention in that community.It's unlikely imo that OHVers did this. It's waaaay too far away from Clear Creek, which is where their beef is. And they're not allowed to ride at Panoche anyway, so it's not like they lost anything there.

If it was OHVers that wanted to tear some **** up, they'd more likely do it at the gates leading into Clear Creek.

I'm betting it was a simple case of:

"Hey Cletus, I betchoo a 6-pack yer truck can't rip that-there gate off them-there hinges! Yee-haw!"

Nessal
09-24-2009, 2:46 PM
I'll try to make it. Is anyone going from the East Bay that I can potentially follow there?

edwardm
09-24-2009, 4:11 PM
Actually, Panoche is the first place they lost OHV access some 20 years ago or so. There's quite a bit of bad blood in that community. Some other forums that I followed up until recently indicated certain CC riders were in fact using Panoche given the dire lack of BLM enforcement capability.

It's unlikely imo that OHVers did this. It's waaaay too far away from Clear Creek, which is where their beef is. And they're not allowed to ride at Panoche anyway, so it's not like they lost anything there.

If it was OHVers that wanted to tear some **** up, they'd more likely do it at the gates leading into Clear Creek.

I'm betting it was a simple case of:

"Hey Cletus, I betchoo a 6-pack yer truck can't rip that-there gate off them-there hinges! Yee-haw!"

Turbinator
09-24-2009, 5:28 PM
Trust me, with BLM it *does* matter who did it. If they decide to pin it on shooters, yes, we're all screwed. I've got just as big a stake in it staying open for shooting and on-trail exploring (great fossil beds in the area) as everyone else, maybe more so, since it serves more than one of my hobbies.

If you legitimately can pin it on the OHV crowd then BLM isn't going to shut Panoche down to shooters; they will realize that ticked off bikers and quad riders are the ones to blame and will focus their attention in that community.

We need pungi sticks!

Ok, let's follow through with what I think you're saying. Let's say it does matter who did it, and they shut down access to the OHV crowd.

How do they selectively shut down public land to just OHV'ers? If the gate is locked, how does a shooter get in yet keep others out?

I don't see the practicality of the BLM rangers trying to screen out who can use the land and who can't. I do see them shutting down Panoche completely so as to avoid having to tackle this screening issue.

Let's try a different analogy. We're all shooters, whether we shoot shotgun, rifle, or pistol; whether we hunt or target shoot. If there's an ammo ban or a feature ban, the bigger implications affect everyone equally no matter what your shooting discipline might be. I see Panoche and the abuse to be the same. Remember, united we stand, divided we fall..

Turby

sorensen440
09-24-2009, 5:32 PM
Regardless if it were shooters or ohv'ers who yanked it off the hinges the gate was full of bullet holes

BroncoBob
09-24-2009, 5:55 PM
Regardless if it were shooters or ohv'ers who yanked it off the hinges the gate was full of bullet holes

Yep, Chris hit the nail on the head. Some parts looked like swiss cheese.

Ok let's get back to the repair needed. Looks like we are not getting any offers of someone with a mobile welder. What if we rented a welder and a generator to run it and found a calgunner who can weld to do the work? I'm going to ask my maintenance lead to check into what it would cost for renting a unit and generator for a couple of days. Then all we need is a pick up to haul it down. OH yeah will need a torch to burn a hole in the top hinge point.

edwardm
09-25-2009, 2:39 PM
Missing the point. If BLM attributes to shooters, the whole place goes away. If blamed on OHVers, BLM has no deterrent option except enforcement. When CC had certain trails closed, BLM upped outreach and patrols when closed trails were found to be freshly disturbed. They didn't bother hunters and shooters since they were not responsible. Realizing that they had to stop an impacted group of overall users led to a proportional response. It wasn't until the EPA involved its bogus science that BLM completely closed the area.

Same with Panoche. BLM does have the resources to conduct more enforcement and outreach and if they determine it's OHVers they are less likely to totally shut down Panoche. They're an institution, they have SOPs. They tend to stick to them. In dealing with BLM for the last 12 years I've seen the pattern repeated over and over again in California and Nevada.

That's why it is important, if it can be shown, to distance shooter abuse (or lack thereof) from OHV abuse.

Ok, let's follow through with what I think you're saying. Let's say it does matter who did it, and they shut down access to the OHV crowd.

How do they selectively shut down public land to just OHV'ers? If the gate is locked, how does a shooter get in yet keep others out?

I don't see the practicality of the BLM rangers trying to screen out who can use the land and who can't. I do see them shutting down Panoche completely so as to avoid having to tackle this screening issue.

Let's try a different analogy. We're all shooters, whether we shoot shotgun, rifle, or pistol; whether we hunt or target shoot. If there's an ammo ban or a feature ban, the bigger implications affect everyone equally no matter what your shooting discipline might be. I see Panoche and the abuse to be the same. Remember, united we stand, divided we fall..

Turby

916Plinker
09-26-2009, 5:23 AM
so, how bout a google map link

Turbinator
09-26-2009, 7:23 AM
That's why it is important, if it can be shown, to distance shooter abuse (or lack thereof) from OHV abuse.

Compeletely appreciate your experience and perspective, but I think you've overlooked the detail that the gate has been shot and the rangers I'm in touch with specifically stated that the hinges have been shot enough to compromise their function.

Therefore, I can only presume that shooters of some kind were involved.

Turby

nagorb
09-26-2009, 9:26 AM
There is a google map somewhere around here but I cant find it so I made a new one. We should put this on the first post about Panoche threads because people always ask for directions. If anyone can think of anything I can change or add let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=panoche%20hills&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

BroncoBob
09-26-2009, 11:36 AM
There is a google map somewhere around here but I cant find it so I made a new one. We should put this on the first post about Panoche threads because people always ask for directions. If anyone can think of anything I can change or add let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=panoche%20hills&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Mike sometimes you amaze me.

Turbinator
09-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Mike sometimes you amaze me.

Sometimes? How about the rest of the time? :)

Turby

nagorb
09-26-2009, 1:12 PM
Sometimes? How about the rest of the time? :)

Turby

The words astonish or astound come to mind:cool:

BroncoBob
09-26-2009, 2:39 PM
The words astonish or astound come to mind:cool:

No more fear, duck, weave anything to keep out of the line of hot brass rain

nagorb
09-26-2009, 2:58 PM
acorn might have missed you but I wont. I might not be able to hit my target with a bullet but I sure can hit you with hot brass.

BroncoBob
09-27-2009, 2:45 PM
acorn might have missed you but I wont. I might not be able to hit my target with a bullet but I sure can hit you with hot brass.

Yeah, you've proved that many times. Job well done.

Turbinator
09-27-2009, 7:32 PM
Heads up, I saw Big5 is selling one of those popup canopies for $69 after $10 instant rebate. I'm going to get one, it's 10x10, and bring it to use at Panoche. I didn't have one last time, I'll be sure to get one this time.

Turby

nagorb
09-27-2009, 7:34 PM
Cool thanks I'll see if any local big5s have them

Turbinator
09-27-2009, 7:57 PM
I went to one Big5 today, they were out of stock. I'm going to check another one on Monday.

Turby

ricochet
09-28-2009, 8:50 PM

If welding in the field, don't forget water & shovels ...

ricochet
09-28-2009, 9:03 PM
Heads up, I saw Big5 is selling one of those popup canopies for $69 after $10 instant rebate. I'm going to get one, it's 10x10, and bring it to use at Panoche. I didn't have one last time, I'll be sure to get one this time.

Turby

Be careful; the cheaper ones I've seen don't look too durable. I just saw the FirstUp model at Walmart for $89 or so (<100). I love my First Up and constantly get compliments on it.

And yes, a definite must have for Panoche ...

Turbinator
09-29-2009, 7:11 AM
Be careful; the cheaper ones I've seen don't look too durable. I just saw the FirstUp model at Walmart for $89 or so (<100). I love my First Up and constantly get compliments on it.

And yes, a definite must have for Panoche ...

I picked one up just yesterday, I'll set it up and see if it's good - if not, back to Big5 it goes. Thanks for the Walmart tip - I'll have to check that one out.

Turby

xrMike
09-29-2009, 7:19 AM
A tip re: Eazy-ups... In windy places (like Panoche sometimes) you need to figure out a way to anchor them down, otherwise they take off like a kite and go bouncing down the landscape like a big tumbleweed.

At my daughter's swim meets we used to use bungee cords and 5-gallon buckets filled with water from the pool, but you get the idea. There's lots of ways to do it.

Acorn556
09-29-2009, 9:40 AM
Out at Panoche some Tent stakes work took. Not much fun hauling around 5 gallon buckets full of weights.

Turbinator
09-30-2009, 3:34 AM
Out at Panoche some Tent stakes work.

Yes - in the past we've staked down our popup tents.

Turby

ricochet
09-30-2009, 5:11 AM
Yes - in the past we've staked down our popup tents.

Turby

I haven't used 'em yet but OSH has a set of long stakes that have nice heads you can grip made by Coleman (long silver stake w/grey head that kinda looks like the charging handle of an AR15; set of 6 or 8 I think). The cash register gal was gaga over how good they were and it was only $4-6.

The canopy makes a real nice moving target when it blows down range :D

ric

nagorb
09-30-2009, 11:17 AM
If it gets real windy and the steaks hold, the canopy roof can buckle.

Turbinator
09-30-2009, 2:26 PM
I haven't used 'em yet but OSH has a set of long stakes that have nice heads you can grip made by Coleman (long silver stake w/grey head that kinda looks like the charging handle of an AR15; set of 6 or 8 I think). The cash register gal was gaga over how good they were and it was only $4-6.

The canopy makes a real nice moving target when it blows down range :D

ric

Thanks for the OSH tip - I'll see if this thing comes with stakes and then go from there.

Turby

Turbinator
09-30-2009, 2:28 PM
Folks, update from the rangers -

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I wanted to do some checking on the gate before I gave you an answer. We're actually getting ready to build a new gate down the road and put up a welded pipe fence in front of the target shooting area with a gate in the middle of it. The reasoning behind this is that people can still park near the road and walk out with legal targets, but they can't unload a refrigerator, etc. The vandalized gate will be going away.

Construction will probably take place next spring. If you or your guys would be interested in helping with that project, we would be more than happy to have your help. A dedication sign with your organization could also be placed on-site to reflect the BLM/club cooperation. No worries if you can't, though.

So - key points:

1) Calguns rebuilding the gate - squash this idea for now, looks like the rangers will do it in the spring.

2) Volunteer to help rebuild in the spring - let's think about gathering a list of volunteers who will help with this activity - I'm in for it!

Turby

BroncoBob
09-30-2009, 4:02 PM

So - key points:

1) Calguns rebuilding the gate - squash this idea for now, looks like the rangers will do it in the spring.

2) Volunteer to help rebuild in the spring - let's think about gathering a list of volunteers who will help with this activity - I'm in for it!

Turby

Hey Turby, put my name on the list to assist with the spring rebuild project.

nagorb
09-30-2009, 5:40 PM
Add me as well. I think that will go a long way with them if we can have a few guys volunteer some time.

diginit
09-30-2009, 8:36 PM
Interesting post... I've seen the gate and the upper hinge has been shot off. It needs a new one fabricated. Why the morons didn't just shoot the padlock, I don't know. Probably couldn't hit it at 4 feet. A sign is a good idea, But it would just be used as a target unless posted on the bulletin board near the road. We should state that this area will be closed if this dumping continues. The camera is the best idea so far. Video evedence can prosecute. All we need is a license plate no.
I always bring my little weber folks. You're welcome to toss something on. I just bought a gunsafe. It was way out of my budget but a good deal, so I'm not sure if I can make this one. I'll certainly give it a shot though. If I don't go to Panoche at least once a month, I have a kiniption.

ricochet
09-30-2009, 8:38 PM

So - key points:

Turby
Put me in coach ...

I'm not the most abled-bodied guy on this planet but I can be there and do whatever I can. I know the where, let me know when

ricochet
09-30-2009, 8:48 PM
Interesting post... I've seen the gate and the upper hinge has been shot off. It needs a new one fabricated. Why the morons didn't just shoot the padlock, I don't know. Probably couldn't hit it at 4 feet. A sign is a good idea, But it would just be used as a target unless posted on the bulletin board near the road. We should state that this area will be closed if this dumping continues. The camera is the best idea so far. Video evedence can prosecute. All we need is a license plate no.
I always bring my little weber folks. You're welcome to toss something on. I just bought a gunsafe. It was way out of my budget but a good deal, so I'm not sure if I can make this one. I'll certainly give it a shot though. If I don't go to Panoche at least once a month, I have a kiniption.

I have a camera brand new in the box that I'd be willing to donate. It's a consumer version of a surveillance camera. I believe it has RCA outputs to hook to TV/VCR (not wireless). Not like it's self contained for "out in the middle of nowhere" use but it might do the job. Sounds like just the gesture made to the BLM rangers would generate good will even if it doesn't get used.

nagorb
09-30-2009, 8:50 PM
Good idea but nowhere to plug it in.

xrMike
10-01-2009, 7:28 AM
Good idea but nowhere to plug it in.Plus a camera would get shot up faster than any gate or sign ever has been. Nice gesture though.

Purple K
10-01-2009, 7:48 AM
I'll do the welding. Let me know when.

Turbinator
10-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I'll do the welding. Let me know when.

Wow, thanks. Looks like the welding won't be needed for now, we'll revisit the gate fix in the spring when the rangers get something official together.

Turby

domokun
10-01-2009, 2:55 PM
I have a camera brand new in the box that I'd be willing to donate. It's a consumer version of a surveillance camera. I believe it has RCA outputs to hook to TV/VCR (not wireless). Not like it's self contained for "out in the middle of nowhere" use but it might do the job. Sounds like just the gesture made to the BLM rangers would generate good will even if it doesn't get used.

Plus a camera would get shot up faster than any gate or sign ever has been. Nice gesture though.

It's possible to build an enclosure for the camera but you'd also have to figure out how to power the camera and wirelessly transmit the signal to the ranger station. Currenty, there isn't any wired communication lines out there. Transmitting any signal wirelessly for long distances with any significant amount of power would imply getting the FCC and licensing involved.

All in all, I agree with nagorb that it isn't practical right now to do it that way. We just need to concentrate our efforts to help the rangers out in the spring when they're ready to put in the new gate.

WeekendWarrior
10-02-2009, 10:15 AM
WWRTW

BroncoBob
10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I cant make the weekend of the 17th, but I'm heading out there with a couple buddies on the 11th. Will make sure to bring some contractor bags with us and do some cleaning to help pave the way for you guys.

Hey that's a great attitude! Really appreciate the effort.

Turbinator
10-02-2009, 2:39 PM
I cant make the weekend of the 17th, but I'm heading out there with a couple buddies on the 11th. Will make sure to bring some contractor bags with us and do some cleaning to help pave the way for you guys.

Awesome, thanks! Leave the bags in a pile somewhere neatly - we'll add to it and I'll alert the rangers where to pick up the stuff.

Turby

Acorn556
10-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Doesn't look like I'll be able to make it as of now. Things might change but I could be missing out on the cleanup and shoot. Have fun. Be safe. Give Bob a break from the brass. Oh and don't forget to let him tell you about his ONE SHOT ONE KILL tannerite experience last time.

nagorb
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
what a flake

BroncoBob
10-06-2009, 11:39 AM
what a flake

:rofl2:

Turbinator
10-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Hope the weather holds up. It's gettin' colder 'round these parts..

Turby

Acorn556
10-06-2009, 2:15 PM
what a flake

I learn from the best.

xrMike
10-06-2009, 2:18 PM
Hope the weather holds up. It's gettin' colder 'round these parts..Yes, SBCounty nights have turned a little "nipply" the past week. Fall is here for sure. Or what passes for it in California.

Turbinator
10-06-2009, 6:22 PM
Yes, SBCounty nights have turned a little "nipply" the past week. Fall is here for sure. Or what passes for it in California.

Nipply? Is that where it's so cold, your nipples can cut glass?? :D

Turby

diginit
10-06-2009, 7:18 PM
Allright.... Acorn and Nagorb - 223's at 50 paces. - Best group wins!

If we can get them both there at the same time.

nagorb
10-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Heres a google map link my last one doesnt work.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109387489967449823564.0004747e0a4a7575764a8&ll=36.715426,-120.83931&spn=0.029448,0.076818&t=h&z=14

BroncoBob
10-08-2009, 2:42 PM
Just checked the 6-10 day extended forcast and it looks like the rain will be gone by Thursday 10/13 and Saturday 10/17 should be in the mid 70's! Man are we getting lucky. :jump:

nagorb
10-08-2009, 2:45 PM
I was hoping around 65

BroncoBob
10-08-2009, 3:39 PM
I was hoping around 65

65 would be OK with me too. Just hope those bugs are gone.

nagorb
10-08-2009, 8:44 PM
what bugs?

BroncoBob
10-08-2009, 8:52 PM
what bugs?

The last shoot there were these fricken *** little bugs biting the crap out of us. Heck bug spray had little to no effect on them. They went away once the wind kicked up. No fricken shorts for me this time.

nagorb
10-08-2009, 8:55 PM
good to know

Turbinator
10-08-2009, 9:17 PM
Thanks for the insight, I'll bring the bug repellent in case (gotta try). By the way, my popup tent from Big5 is pretty good, so it's a keeper. :)

Turby

BroncoBob
10-08-2009, 9:22 PM
Yeah, it was insane for a while with the bugs. You could see them all over the ground.

nagorb
10-08-2009, 9:47 PM
Just make sure its DEET

Double_D
10-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I have never been to the actual shooting area. How do I get there? I see the google maps showing the 3 gates and fire season shooting area, but where is the area where the usual shooting happens? Also, my nissan frontier is only rear wheel drive, so do you think it can cut it?

Turbinator
10-09-2009, 7:18 AM
I have never been to the actual shooting area. How do I get there? I see the google maps showing the 3 gates and fire season shooting area, but where is the area where the usual shooting happens? Also, my nissan frontier is only rear wheel drive, so do you think it can cut it?

A rear wheel drive vehicle can make it fine, I've taken a minivan there a couple of times and a friend took his 2WD Rodeo there as well.

You do have to drive slowly and carefully - there are potholes that you won't see until you're already in them - so just take it easy and cover the brake more than you cover the gas pedal.

Also, as long as you drive up the main dirt road, you'll come across the first shooting spot - you can't miss it.

You planning on joining us for the cleanup?

Turby

smp89
10-09-2009, 10:45 AM

yea some guy( :D )brings a honda civic up with no problem. Well no prblem with the car, I think its more the driver :eek:

Double_D
10-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Yea, I'll come to help clean up, but I don't know if I'll be doing much shooting out there. I'm a poor college student so I would love to give anyone a ride from the San Jose area who would like to pitch in for gas :D

BroncoBob
10-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Yea, I'll come to help clean up, but I don't know if I'll be doing much shooting out there. I'm a poor college student so I would love to give anyone a ride from the San Jose area who would like to pitch in for gas :D

Calling nagorb you have a ride buddy............

nagorb
10-09-2009, 1:27 PM
yea some guy( :D )brings a honda civic up with no problem. Well no prblem with the car, I think its more the driver :eek:

:nuts: :rofl2:

Turbinator
10-09-2009, 2:46 PM

Why not much shooting? No ammo? No guns?

Turby

nagorb
10-09-2009, 3:14 PM
Calling nagorb you have a ride buddy............

He will have to sign a waver if he wants to drive with me:taz::41:

Seriously though, if you do need a ride send me a pm we can work something out.

evollep3
10-09-2009, 4:08 PM
are we even going to have time to go shoot out there on the 17th?

Turbinator
10-09-2009, 4:49 PM
are we even going to have time to go shoot out there on the 17th?

Yes. Arrive around 10:30AM, clean for about 2 hours, eat lunch, then start blasting until the cows come home. Clean up one more time, then done!

Turby

BroncoBob
10-09-2009, 8:40 PM
Yes. Arrive around 10:30AM, clean for about 2 hours, eat lunch, then start blasting until the cows come home. Clean up one more time, then done!

Turby

What 10:30? Half the day is gone by that time. Turby set your alarm a little earlier.....jk

nagorb
10-09-2009, 8:51 PM
What 10:30? Half the day is gone by that time. Turby set your alarm a little earlier.....jk

Not everyone lives as close as you, and yes I am jealous.

Double_D
10-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Why not much shooting? No ammo? No guns?

Turby

i only have about 120 rounds left for my mosin and 240 left for my AK. If schwarzeneggar doesn't veto ab962, I'll have to pay 400% the price of what I usually pay cus I won't be able to order online anymore. In that case, I will save all my ammo for a SHTF situation. If I do go shooting at Panoche, maybe I'll just bring my .22 rifle.

Another reason keeping me from shooting is that I'll be driving very far, which will raise my chances of getting pulled over. It seems too much of a hassle to explain to a possibly ignorant LEO how I can legally possess an AK. He/she might not believe a flow chart on a piece of paper.

Anyway, I just wanna come meet some of you guys and I need to do a good deed to raise some good karma for myself. I also wanna see you guys blow up some tannerite cus I've never seen that before :D

Turbinator
10-10-2009, 7:54 AM

Easy - how about you get the cleanup going, we'll show up and help you stack the bags :D

How far is it from Tracy to Panoche? 1 hour??

Turby

Turbinator
10-10-2009, 7:56 AM
i only have about 120 rounds left for my mosin and 240 left for my AK. If schwarzeneggar doesn't veto ab962, I'll have to pay 400% the price of what I usually pay cus I won't be able to order online anymore. In that case, I will save all my ammo for a SHTF situation. If I do go shooting at Panoche, maybe I'll just bring my .22 rifle.

Another reason keeping me from shooting is that I'll be driving very far, which will raise my chances of getting pulled over. It seems too much of a hassle to explain to a possibly ignorant LEO how I can legally possess an AK. He/she might not believe a flow chart on a piece of paper.

Anyway, I just wanna come meet some of you guys and I need to do a good deed to raise some good karma for myself. I also wanna see you guys blow up some tannerite cus I've never seen that before :D

Bring your guns. If you don't, you'll regret it!

Drive the speed limit. Drive in the middle or right hand lane. Don't do anything unusual. Don't switch lanes too often. Don't give anyone the #1 highway salute. You'll be fine.

Keep the AK locked up and hidden in the trunk. Get a good night's rest so that you don't fall asleep at the wheel.

Turby

BroncoBob
10-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Easy - how about you get the cleanup going, we'll show up and help you stack the bags :D

How far is it from Tracy to Panoche? 1 hour??

Turby

Ouch!

Purple K
10-11-2009, 7:06 PM
Since knowone confirmed with me that they'd be at the Pine Flat Rd. Clean-up, I'll be at Panoche hills. Never been there before, is the gate open 24/7? I'd like to overnight it.

BroncoBob
10-11-2009, 7:32 PM
Since knowone confirmed with me that they'd be at the Pine Flat Rd. Clean-up, I'll be at Panoche hills. Never been there before, is the gate open 24/7? I'd like to overnight it.

24/7 no problem, you might have a neighbor if diginit goes. He's one who likes to spend the night out there.

Purple K
10-11-2009, 7:34 PM
Any problems getting a trailer in there?

BroncoBob
10-11-2009, 7:39 PM
Any problems getting a trailer in there?

I've seen trailers on the access road up. One time there was a guy with a trailer set up below us and I have no idea how he got it in the spot. I'm sure that it can be done, just never saw anyone up at the top with a trailer.

diginit
10-11-2009, 7:55 PM
For those that never stay the night, Here's one reason I like to camp there:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/worthit.jpg

And another:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/sunset1.jpg

And one more:
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/PanocheSunsetII.jpg

Yea, I camp there alot.

Double_D
10-13-2009, 2:26 PM
sorry to flake out, but I have a lot to get done for school.

nagorb
10-13-2009, 3:36 PM
sorry to flake out, but I have a lot to get done for school.

Yeah its hard to commit to something when I school, I also had to flake on the last shoot. I think I lucked out this time because all my midterms were last week and one this week.

Turbinator
10-13-2009, 3:48 PM
Guys, no worries, life comes at you fast.. so feel free to take care of what you need to get through. Once you're done with school, you can devote some time to getting out there .. that is, until you get married :)

Anyway, looks like the weather is rainy now BUT the forecast for Saturday 10/17 is partly cloudy, 79 deg F. Not bad. I think we'll be fine. I just hope the mud isn't too bad, but we'll see.

Bring sunscreen still, some shelter, and be ready to get your shoes dirty!

Anyone have rakes they can bring to gather up the smaller trash bits?

Turby

nagorb
10-13-2009, 6:24 PM
I didn't even think about the mud, I'll have to be careful, civics aren't the greatest vehicle for mud bogging:eek:.

tommygunr
10-13-2009, 9:58 PM
I didn't even think about the mud, I'll have to be careful, civics aren't the greatest vehicle for mud bogging:eek:.

No need to worry I have a tow strap :D

come to think of it I've never seen a civic rally car. Mud shouldn't be a problem on the main road . the main road looked like it had a good layer of rock laid down last time.

1919A4
10-14-2009, 1:38 PM
Howdy, Whats up turby, I remember when we did the very first clean up there. There was about 10 of us who showed up and cleaned that whole front area. I came up there with Martin from irvington arms and my brother,etc. I was just looking at a cool pic we all took with the ranger guy in front of his truck after the cleanup and the area. I will try to make it.
Brian
the_lynch_family.

Turbinator
10-14-2009, 6:01 PM
Hey Brian, glad you found this thread, and yes, I definitely remember that trip too. Good times. Looking forward to having you join us for this cleanup session!

Turby

mk3mitch
10-15-2009, 3:28 PM
I was out there this morning, as far as the main gate goes, it is DIRTY! Beyond the gate, VERY NICE! A little bit of trash here and there but over all good. I spoke with a BLM worker on my way out and he said he knew of CALGUNS and the clean ups. We talked about how people broke down the fire season gate, and he said they are considering locking the VERY front gate during fireseason from now on. Thanks whoever broke the gate!

BroncoBob
10-15-2009, 3:54 PM
I was out there this morning, as far as the main gate goes, it is DIRTY! Beyond the gate, VERY NICE! A little bit of trash here and there but over all good. I spoke with a BLM worker on my way out and he said he knew of CALGUNS and the clean ups. We talked about how people broke down the fire season gate, and he said they are considering locking the VERY front gate during fireseason from now on. Thanks whoever broke the gate!

Oh that would suck :censored:

Turbinator
10-15-2009, 5:04 PM

Did you get the guy's name? And wait, aren't you going to join us on Saturday to help clean up? :)

Not cool on the gate locking but I guess it's the price we pay for having yahoo's up there creating havoc.

Weather report update - Saturday forecast says 81 deg F at the high, partly cloudy. Awesome!!

Turby

BroncoBob
10-15-2009, 5:23 PM
Should be a nice day

evollep3
10-15-2009, 5:30 PM
guys i wont be there till at early noon maybe for sure now my friend wont get back in time to leave early i will be there tho to put some lead down range with you guys later tho :)

ricochet
10-15-2009, 5:49 PM

That means the 1'st site for shooting won't be open during the summer ? If I recall that was a small dirt area for pistol chootin'

Acorn556
10-15-2009, 6:03 PM
Dang...I thought this was in Nov...I MIGHT be able to head down from the free state. Just walked into Cabelas and saw 900 rounds of Federal XM193 for $500...along with an SKS for like $300...I love being a Nevada resident.

Acorn556
10-15-2009, 6:17 PM
Who all is in for this cleanup/shoot? Any more Raginbull/Barret madness coming this time? Figure I'm out of town so I can stock up now that you can only kill 20 or 50 target bullseyes in California legally.

nagorb
10-15-2009, 8:02 PM
Looks like I'm gonna pull an Acorn and flake out on the cleanup. The next one should a week or two after Christmas.

deldgeetar
10-15-2009, 9:44 PM

How were the road conditions in there? A lot of mud or is it drying up quickly?

Acorn556
10-16-2009, 7:33 AM
Looks like I'm gonna pull an Acorn and flake out on the cleanup. The next one should a week or two after Christmas.

Looks like I'm going to pull a nag and move up to the south city area.

Turbinator
10-16-2009, 7:49 AM
Who all is in for this cleanup/shoot? Any more Raginbull/Barret madness coming this time? Figure I'm out of town so I can stock up now that you can only kill 20 or 50 target bullseyes in California legally.

I was keeping a list of attendees initially, but ran out of time to keep it up to date. I'd say we have about a dozen people planning to show up for the cleanup.

Turby

nagorb
10-16-2009, 2:58 PM
Looks like I'm going to pull a nag and move up to the south city area.

Technically you're WRONG, I actually moved DOWN from there. jeez get your info straight.

Well have to meat up sometime. If you are seriously moving up here let me know if you need help moving.

mk3mitch
10-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Turby, I would love to help, but they gave me the day shift!!! As for road conditions, fine. Any car will make it.

nagorb
10-17-2009, 1:25 AM
I expect plenty of pics and videos otherwise I wont believe you all cleaned up.

Can someone please hit bob with some hot brass? If you cant do it while you're shooting just throw some at him, I'll owe you one.

doughboy334
10-17-2009, 2:13 AM
I'm a last minute GO

Turby can you PM me your number? I never gone down to that BLM land to shoot and a POC would be nice just in case something goes wrong...

Turbinator
10-17-2009, 5:18 AM
I'm a last minute GO

Turby can you PM me your number? I never gone down to that BLM land to shoot and a POC would be nice just in case something goes wrong...

PM sent.

Ok guys, today's the day, hope you're all packed and ready to go!! :) Time for breakfast, need to gather calories for today :D

Turby

doughboy334
10-17-2009, 6:38 AM
Alright
bags
gloves
hand wipes
AR15 rifle and 22lr complete upper
M1 Garand

I think I'm all set, I'll cya there!

smp89
10-17-2009, 8:01 AM
Technically you're WRONG, I actually moved DOWN from there. jeez get your info straight.

Well have to meat up sometime. If you are seriously moving up here let me know if you need help moving.

seriously, we do not need to know what you guys are doing with your meat, when you meet up :eek:

Acorn556
10-17-2009, 10:36 AM

I'll let you know where I end up living and what my hours are. Might be overnight, might be weekends. It's all up in the air.

nagorb
10-17-2009, 2:38 PM
seriously, we do not need to know what you guys are doing with your meat, when you meet up :eek:

:rofl:

DiscoBayJoe
10-17-2009, 5:52 PM
Hey Guys,

It was cool meeting you guys out there today and taking care of those zombie pumpkins that were croppin' up :)

I got there late (and left early) but that was a pretty big pile of stuff that you guys had cleaned up!

-Joe

diginit
10-17-2009, 6:28 PM
Sorry I missed this one. Had to work today, But OT is NICE when it happens. 600 ft of crown moulding complete. Sorry I couldn't help with the cleanup this time. Thought about you guys every time I pulled the trigger of my nailgun.... Looking forward to seeing the pics. of the fun you all had. I'll see you at the Zombie shoot! J.

nagorb
10-17-2009, 6:36 PM
Well have to schedule another clean up, when I'm not in school.

I was thinking about going to the zombie shoot but the whole required $50 donation thing put me off. I have no problem with donating, I do at every gun show and have volunteered at the booth in the past.

BroncoBob
10-17-2009, 6:39 PM
Hey I want to thank all of you who helped out today. It was great seeing all from the last clean up. I just want to let all those who didn't attend know that it was mentioned by a GW who was assigned there today to check the hunting license and kill of all hunters that there have been discussions about closing down Panoche Hills to shooting due the mess left by shooters. We have to get the word out that we better keep this place clean or we'll have to find another place to shoot. Just my 2 cents.

nagorb
10-17-2009, 6:44 PM
Hey I want to thank all of you who helped out today. It was great seeing all from the last clean up. I just want to let all those who didn't attend know that it was mentioned by a GW who was assigned there today to check the hunting license and kill of all hunters that there have been discussions about closing down Panoche Hills to shooting due the mess left by shooters. We have to get the word out that we better keep this place clean or we'll have to find another place to shoot. Just my 2 cents.

:banghead: When will people learn!

Maybe we should schedule these more often.

BroncoBob
10-17-2009, 6:49 PM
:banghead: When will people learn!

Maybe we should schedule these more often.

It was rather educational, he wasn't talking about the "big" stuff it was all the cases from the ammo which he was talking about. No matter what we have our work cut out for us.

nagorb
10-17-2009, 7:00 PM
We should just get an industrial shop vac and suck up all the crap every few months, not really a good idea but would be nice if we could do it.

nagorb
10-17-2009, 7:02 PM
One of these weekends I'm free I might just head down there and do a little fall cleaning.

diginit
10-17-2009, 7:21 PM
If they close Panoche, People, myself included, will find another place to shoot. Unfortunately, It won't be monitored or EVER cleaned up. Shooting is legal in that area as long as it is not posted or a tresspass on private land. At least at Panoche, It eventually gets picked up. Closing it will only spoil lots of nice places. What are they thinking?????

BroncoBob
10-17-2009, 7:37 PM
I raked at least 75+ pounds of cases today and didn't even put a dent in the amount that is there. I agree with Mike we need a few more fall cleanings of the cases. If we all took a bag or two home with us it will help out. It's the scum bags that go and leave a fricken mess up there that will spoil it for all. Oh yeah Tommygunr had a really good idea and brought up a home made sled which he filled up down in the canyon and pulled it out with his truck. All was going good till one of the $3.00 ropes he bought broke. Luckly I just told David (doughboy334) to get away from the rope. It missed him by inches. But the sled idea worked good and we hauled a crap load of stuff out of the canyon. Heck we even got the Korean rocket and nose cone out that we launched at the last Pinata Shoot..... Later in the day the sled was a target at the 200 yard range we set up in the back.

diginit
10-17-2009, 7:59 PM
:useless: :D

elrcastor
10-17-2009, 8:37 PM
:useless: :D

Yup I second this!!

DiscoBayJoe
10-17-2009, 8:55 PM
Well, I don't know if there were any pics taken during the cleanup, because I was late and missed that part of the action; However, I know Turby took alot of photos. Until he posts his, here are a few I snapped with my iPhone

Here was the setup:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs248.snc1/9528_178662876822_563416822_3768424_4753240_n.jpg

And a random down-range shot of nothing:
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs215.snc1/8230_178559491822_563416822_3766951_3185266_n.jpg

And my Pumpkin Smashing Device:
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs248.snc1/9528_178534906822_563416822_3766496_2954137_n.jpg

And, since i'm posting my cellphone pics from today, here was a pic I snapped from my rear deck tonight when I got home from the shoot:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs248.snc1/9528_178663076822_563416822_3768425_6339001_n.jpg

Turbinator
10-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Nice seeing you guys out there, thanks to those who made it out there to help clean up Panoche. Sorry 'bout being a little late - had some issues in the morning getting out the door.

Here's Tommygunr's sled idea:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4578b.jpg

Here's the pile of stuff that was gathered:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4579b.jpg

Here we are caravaning into Panoche after the cleanup:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4581b.jpg

Turby

Turbinator
10-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Here are the brave volunteers who showed up to do the cleaning today (note - one Calgunner's fake identity has been suppressed and replaced with his TRUE identity upon request):

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4622c.jpg

Tommygunr's crazy clown target he made:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4592b.jpg

One of the pumpkin targets, graciously provided by Tommygunr - with a bonus insect already attempting to feast on the innards:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4619b.jpg

Another pumpkin target, exit wound from .308 soft point:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4690b.jpg

Brake rotor target challenge (we took this home with us, of course):

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4693b.jpg

Photo showing the exit holes:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4695b.jpg

Turby

evollep3
10-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Man I went there today but the ranger had no idea where you guys were what time did you guys leave?

Turbinator
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Man I went there today but the ranger had no idea where you guys were what time did you guys leave?

We left around 5PM I think. What time did you arrive?

Turby

evollep3
10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
2 where were you guys we ended up shooting at the first lower level to the right after the green gate

evollep3
10-17-2009, 10:40 PM
I think some of you guys drove past me I was driving a white Acura rl and a silver ram drove past me and a white Sebring

Turbinator
10-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Yup - those guys left early as they had to get outta there. We went a little further in, found a nice expanse for longer range shooting, and set up shop there. It would have been difficult to find us unless you knew to drive further in to look for us. Sorry we couldn't meet up...!

Turby

Gio
10-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Looks like you guys did a good job cleaning up some stuff :D

Also looks like the playtime was worth it afterwards :D I wish I could of gone, had things to do and I decided to tighty up my room today as well ;)

-Gio

evollep3
10-17-2009, 11:25 PM
some pictures from our shoot

my buddy shooting the 50

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC01823.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC01683.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC02174.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC01922.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC02174.jpg

evollep3
10-17-2009, 11:28 PM
the equipment

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC01802.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC02201.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC01780.jpg

The Scenery
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC01683.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC02215.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC02213.jpg

evollep3
10-17-2009, 11:29 PM
me breaking my collar bone
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/Evollep3/DSC01742.jpg
damn dust

doughboy334
10-17-2009, 11:50 PM
I raked at least 75+ pounds of cases today and didn't even put a dent in the amount that is there. I agree with Mike we need a few more fall cleanings of the cases. If we all took a bag or two home with us it will help out. It's the scum bags that go and leave a fricken mess up there that will spoil it for all. Oh yeah Tommygunr had a really good idea and brought up a home made sled which he filled up down in the canyon and pulled it out with his truck. All was going good till one of the $3.00 ropes he bought broke. Luckly I just told David (doughboy334) to get away from the rope. It missed him by inches. But the sled idea worked good and we hauled a crap load of stuff out of the canyon. Heck we even got the Korean rocket and nose cone out that we launched at the last Pinata Shoot..... Later in the day the sled was a target at the 200 yard range we set up in the back.

ohhhh yea that was some good advice bob! :D

It was my first panoche trip, thanks for all the great directions I found it no problems. I'll get my pictures up in a bit, but I didn't take very many since I left early (3pm). It was great to meet you guys though, next time I'll make sure to have a more free Saturday. Sorry we didn't get to run into you envelop, that .50 looks like a blast. Hope you guys enjoyed shooting the M1 Garand.

Here are the brave volunteers who showed up to do the cleaning today:

Turby

Can you send me a high res version? Thanks!

BroncoBob
10-18-2009, 8:39 AM
I think some of you guys drove past me I was driving a white Acura rl and a silver ram drove past me and a white Sebring

Hah, that was me coming down the access road and it's not a Sebring it's a Concorde. Yeah had to pull out early since my grandson was coming over. only got to shoot one round of shooting. But it was good to get out and do the clean up that was badly needed. Damn I missed the group photo...... Hey Turby can you photo shop me in?.... lol
Oh David, thanks a ton for letting me shoot your Garand, that is one neat rifle. Maybe some day I'll get one.

Turbinator
10-18-2009, 9:42 AM
Hah, that was me coming down the access road and it's not a Sebring it's a Concorde. Yeah had to pull out early since my grandson was coming over. only got to shoot one round of shooting. But it was good to get out and do the clean up that was badly needed. Damn I missed the group photo...... Hey Turby can you photo shop me in?.... lol
Oh David, thanks a ton for letting me shoot your Garand, that is one neat rifle. Maybe some day I'll get one.

That's really too bad you had to leave early but family is everything, so none of us blame you. Yeah, I can photoshop you in, I can just get your picture from the last shoot.

By the way, do your kids shoot at all? You planning on passing this along to your grandkids?

Turby

BroncoBob
10-18-2009, 10:50 AM
That's really too bad you had to leave early but family is everything, so none of us blame you. Yeah, I can photoshop you in, I can just get your picture from the last shoot.

By the way, do your kids shoot at all? You planning on passing this along to your grandkids?

Turby

Yeah my son who is in the army gets more then his share of shooting time...lol
He lets me know each time he gets to let off a three round burst just to piss me off.. He has joined us several times up at Panoche. Back just before the OLL thing took off I bought him a Bushmaster Carbon 15 top loader. He was taken back when I gave it to him. We still have it in my safe.
I have every intention to pass it on to my grandson. My whole collection goes to my son when I'm done.

evollep3
10-18-2009, 11:56 AM

o well guys wish we could of meet up next time i brought a new member with me too

Ghostwheel
10-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Damn... I wish I had read CalGuns Friday instead of today... I would have loved to join you guys. Drats!!!

-Chris

BroncoBob
10-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Damn... I wish I had read CalGuns Friday instead of today... I would have loved to join you guys. Drats!!!

-Chris

Hey Chris, there was talk about you and your dragon car that you where building.

doughboy334
10-18-2009, 1:33 PM
My pics. I didn't take any until I finished my shooting, I left the party kinda early at 3pm :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3794.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3795.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3796.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3797.jpg

doughboy334
10-18-2009, 1:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3798.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3800.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3803.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3804.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3805.jpg

doughboy334
10-18-2009, 1:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3806.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3807.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/flipmode/Firearms/DSC_3808.jpg

Acorn556
10-18-2009, 1:40 PM
Wow those are some cool photos. I'll be able to make the halloween shoot in a few weeks so that should be fun. Maybe pick up some old pumpkins before they get smashed.

Looks like it's pretty easy to drive around out there. Must have saved Tommy from having to hike like he did at the last shoot.

Ghostwheel
10-18-2009, 3:11 PM
Hey Chris, there was talk about you and your dragon car that you where building.

Sadly, the PlayaLizard did not make it to Burning Man this year. The material I chose for the skin started breaking down in the heat, and it would have contaminated the playa with handful after handful of plastic fibers. We've started working on PlayaLizard 2.0, which will have a canvas skin; though I probably won't be able to take it out next year due to having a newborn and all.

-Chris

BroncoBob
10-18-2009, 4:51 PM
Sadly, the PlayaLizard did not make it to Burning Man this year. The material I chose for the skin started breaking down in the heat, and it would have contaminated the playa with handful after handful of plastic fibers. We've started working on PlayaLizard 2.0, which will have a canvas skin; though I probably won't be able to take it out next year due to having a newborn and all.

-Chris

Wow, congrats dad! Hope all is going well with the new baby and mom.

Ghostwheel
10-18-2009, 5:02 PM
Wow, congrats dad! Hope all is going well with the new baby and mom.

Tristan isn't due until February, which will make him six months old when the next Burning Man hits. He'll be just young enough that we don't want to take him out, and not old enough that I can get away with taking off to party for a week.

But... I still have several months to shoot pinatas out at Panoche. :)

-Chris

BroncoBob
10-18-2009, 5:57 PM
Tristan isn't due until February, which will make him six months old when the next Burning Man hits. He'll be just young enough that we don't want to take him out, and not old enough that I can get away with taking off to party for a week.

But... I still have several months to shoot pinatas out at Panoche. :)

-Chris

Hey Chris, congrats anyway to you and mom. Time to start all the planning and purchases now as is always is the time flys by. Heck before you know it you'll taking him to Panoche and blasting those evil pinatas...lol
Check out the Nov. 7 zombie shoot at Panoche. Sounds like a blast, bummer I can't make that one. Oh I think those party weeks are in your past.

diginit
10-18-2009, 8:03 PM
What? No buckin' Bronco at the Zombie shoot? What the buck? Sorry I missed the cleanup, The OT was too tempting. Now I may be able to afford the next shoot. I was thinking of you guys having fun every time I pulled the trigger on my nailgun. For 8 flippin' hours! If I don't get to shoot soon, I'll blow a gasket. Thanks for the pics.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/50cal.jpg
What is that 50 cal doing to that AK anyways? Making 30-06's?

BroncoBob
10-18-2009, 8:22 PM
What? No buckin' Bronco at the Zombie shoot? What the buck? Sorry I missed the cleanup, The OT was too tempting. Now I may be able to afford the next shoot. I was thinking of you guys having fun every time I pulled the trigger on my nailgun. For 8 flippin' hours! If I don't get to shoot soon, I'll blow a gasket. Thanks for the pics.

Bummer I know! The up coming zombie shoot sounds totally insane. I was surprised you didn't make it to the clean up, but heck 8 hours of OT does make a difference.
Yeah Tommy could have used your help with his sled and I sure didn't see anyone bumpfiring either. It's kinda like your trademark for all shoots.

Turbinator
10-19-2009, 9:41 AM
By the way, Dough, it's time to clean your sensor :)

Turby

Turbinator
10-19-2009, 9:43 AM

Can this dragon car handle potholes better than the Civic? :D hah hah

Turby

Ghostwheel
10-19-2009, 9:44 AM
Can this dragon car handle potholes better than the Civic? :D hah hah

Turby

Absolutely. I built it out of a Jeep. :D

evollep3
10-19-2009, 9:51 AM

its not a ak really close tho its a Saiga 12 so i dunno even know what that offspring would be? 3" slug mating a .510 dtc.... hmmmmmmmmmm?

BroncoBob
10-19-2009, 3:18 PM
OK I finally got around to down loading my pics from Saturdays clean up.

Tommygunr's junk sled. Note the fuselage and nose cone of the Korean Rocket launched earlier last month. This sled idea was really great which cut a lot of time hauling junk out by hand from the canyon. Just to make it clear Tom used his truck to pull the sled up and out of the canyon.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/DSCF1213.jpg

Tom and David hauling the sled the last couple of feet to the pile of junk.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/DSCF1214.jpg

Tommygunr's clown target. Oh yeah I put a shot right through the left ear which exited out the right ear. Look to the left in the background is my set up of my active clay targets. Sure beats trying to see little fricken holes in paper. Hit a clay out it goes.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/DSCF1217.jpg

Tom and Greg unloading their vehicles as we get the firing line set
(picture deleted at request)

My set up for the 1 hour of shooting time.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/DSCF1215.jpg

Looking back at the firing line during lunch break. Hope I get everyones name correct. L to R; Steve, Chris, Ken and David.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/DSCF1216.jpg

Acorn556
10-19-2009, 5:23 PM
Hey Bob Cabela's has clays for $9 bucks for a box of 90. Want to trade some work for a box? I'm thinking of one of those stands you make for Panoche.

BroncoBob
10-19-2009, 5:36 PM
Hey Bob Cabela's has clays for $9 bucks for a box of 90. Want to trade some work for a box? I'm thinking of one of those stands you make for Panoche.

Heck Scott, there is no way that I could accept a box of clays for a few minutes of cutting holes in a plastic sheet. I'll fab one up for you. Just have to figure how to get it to you. You'll have to get your own poles and nylon zip ties. Home depot has the poles in the garden dept.

nagorb
10-19-2009, 5:38 PM
i'll take abox

evollep3
10-19-2009, 5:50 PM
Heck Scott, there is no way that I could accept a box of clays for a few minutes of cutting holes in a plastic sheet. I'll fab one up for you. Just have to figure how to get it to you. You'll have to get your own poles and nylon zip ties. Home depot has the poles in the garden dept.

hey bob if you do make more i will pay you for your time to make one for me too for when i go to panoche

nagorb
10-19-2009, 6:11 PM
some of you might not have seen this http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=232461

BroncoBob
10-19-2009, 7:06 PM
hey bob if you do make more i will pay you for your time to make one for me too for when i go to panoche

PM sent

Acorn556
10-19-2009, 7:51 PM
ill pick a couple up. figure the next shoot we can bring everything out. Poles won't be a problem. I've got the zip ties.

I'll be driving through God's country shortly so I'll keep you updated.

doughboy334
10-19-2009, 8:10 PM
Anyone have any action shots of me? :)

BroncoBob
10-19-2009, 8:46 PM

I got you pulling the sled, how much more action do you need? :rofl2:

Santa Cruz Armory
10-20-2009, 3:50 AM

-Chris

Wow! another fellow Burner... if you make it out to the desert again I'll have to invite you for a congratulatory daddy drink. I work for the BRC Fire Dept. out there. I've been going since 2000. Did you make it out this year? It was good times!

Congrats on the future addition!

Ghostwheel
10-21-2009, 6:56 AM
Wow! another fellow Burner... if you make it out to the desert again I'll have to invite you for a congratulatory daddy drink. I work for the BRC Fire Dept. out there. I've been going since 2000. Did you make it out this year? It was good times!

Congrats on the future addition!

Burners and guns go hand in hand. It amazes me sometimes how few of us there are here on CalGuns.

Coming out to the Zombie Hunt?

-Chris

Turbinator
10-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I PM'ed you and said that I have a pic of you shooting your AR, and was curious if you wanted me to post it here or not. You didn't reply!

Turby

doughboy334
10-22-2009, 2:13 PM
Oh it's ok with me!

Santa Cruz Armory
10-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Burners and guns go hand in hand. It amazes me sometimes how few of us there are here on CalGuns.

Coming out to the Zombie Hunt?

-Chris

Zombie hunt?? :confused:

nagorb
10-22-2009, 10:54 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=229498

Zombie hunt?? :confused:

Acorn556
10-23-2009, 6:36 AM
Burning man passes by my house each year....I know cuz I see the white dust. Tempted to go....wondering if it's really my crowd.

Turbinator
10-23-2009, 7:18 AM
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4605b.jpg

Turby

BroncoBob
10-23-2009, 7:55 AM
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_4605b.jpg

Turby

A satisfied OLL owner.........