PDA

View Full Version : .40 ca S&W

fred1814
02-08-2005, 7:23 PM
I just bought a S&W .40 sigma from turner. i went out the the range and its not accurater. does any one else have one or shot one. what did you guys think about it? is the .40 cal a good hitter and does it have good stopping power? i never seen a .40 bullet until i bought this on and the bullet is flat, is this good and thats the deal with a the top of the bullet being flat

fred1814
02-08-2005, 7:23 PM
I just bought a S&W .40 sigma from turner. i went out the the range and its not accurater. does any one else have one or shot one. what did you guys think about it? is the .40 cal a good hitter and does it have good stopping power? i never seen a .40 bullet until i bought this on and the bullet is flat, is this good and thats the deal with a the top of the bullet being flat

RRangel
02-08-2005, 7:43 PM
Well it's known as a pretty good defensive round depending on who you talk to. Many police departments use this caliber.

S&W's auto's have gotten bad reviews because some of the first polymer guns they released. IMHO I think some of the bad talk was because of the Clinton deal.

There can be many variables in why it was off of the mark. I would spend more time shooting the gun and try different ammo before I made my final decision.

gunsmithcat
02-08-2005, 10:10 PM
hi Freddie.

To be honest, I'm sure its the sigma and not the rounds.

I used to own a sigma sw9f in 9 mm and it was a PITA. Very picky aobut what rounds it fed and I just could not get used to the trigger.

That said, when I did find a round that didnt jam, the gun ran flawlessly. Usually only fed hollow points well. COuldn't get ball to run at all.

Just try experimenting with different ammo. Good luck

jnojr
02-09-2005, 9:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freddie:
I just bought a S&W .40 sigma from turner. i went out the the range and its not accurater. does any one else have one or shot one. what did you guys think about it? is the .40 cal a good hitter and does it have good stopping power? i never seen a .40 bullet until i bought this on and the bullet is flat, is this good and thats the deal with a the top of the bullet being flat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "flat" bullet is a wdcutter, or semi-wadcutter. It's for making holes in paper, as opposed to people... they give you nice round holes.

As for the accuracy... you bought a $200-something gun. Personally, I just wouldn't expect that much from a Sigma. I won't own one, that's for sure.

Ratters
02-09-2005, 5:23 PM
Actually the bullet is flat on top so it would be the same length as a 9mm round and fit in that frame size pistol. All .40 fmj is flat on top. It is a great defensive round, btw.

Accuracy could just be a gun thing. Knew a guy who had a Sigma in 9 that shot pretty well. It is a tough trigger to get used to though. I have a Sig 229 and a Glock 23 in .40 and they are both really accurate, though the Sig is the easier of the two to shoot. .40 is a very high pressure round and the snap on polymer framed guns is pretty stout.

fred1814
02-09-2005, 6:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ratters:
Actually the bullet is flat on top so it would be the same length as a 9mm round and fit in that frame size pistol.

so you can shot a 9mm in .40 gun and .40 in a 9mm

Technical Ted
02-09-2005, 6:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freddie:
so you can shot a 9mm in .40 gun and .40 in a 9mm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Theoretically. You'll need a conversion barrel.
http://www.barsto.com/

Ted_Bell
02-09-2005, 7:17 PM
Freddie,

Are you an experienced pistol shooter? What do you mean by "not accurate"? Were you using some device to hold the pistol which removed operator error? I think that the skill of the shooter plays the biggest part in accuracy, so you might consider that first before you lay the blame on the gun. I've been shooting pistols for a long time and still can't hit the side of barn with one unless I throw the gun.

TB

fred1814
02-10-2005, 9:44 AM
ive shot other guns and i would say im an experiance shotter. i guess i have to get use to the trigger on this one

thanks

Ratters
02-10-2005, 8:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ratters:
Actually the bullet is flat on top so it would be the same length as a 9mm round and fit in that frame size pistol.

so you can shot a 9mm in .40 gun and .40 in a 9mm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some guns allow conversions, but most don't because a different slide and spring may also be needed. It was just designed so that a manufacturer doesn't have to manufacture many different sizes of frames. And to allow a smaller frame size. A lot of people stay away from .45 because in a double stack pistol the grip can be pretty big ala Glock 21. In fact that is why they now make the .45GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) so that you can get .45 in a managable sized frame.

Just don't try and shoot nine out of your forty. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif