PDA

View Full Version : Well THAT was a first...

THT
09-11-2009, 7:40 PM
I came home after Labor Day weekend to find my computer was off which was odd but I thought maybe the house lost power for brief period (which it didn't since the clocks weren't blinking). Anyway, I hit the power button and nothing happened. Opened the case and saw that none of the motherboard LEDs were on. The plot thickens... I play with the PSU a bit, click it on and off, unplug the cord, etc. Still, nothing. I've built 100+ computers with FSP/Sparkle PSUs and they've always been rock-steady, awesome units. This was the first one to fail me. It was a 600w unit that died in under two years.

At any rate, the 620w modular Corsair PSU showed up today (hooray for Newegg) and I popped it in. Immediately after flicking the switch, the motherboard lit up and the machine fired up when the power button was hit.

SwissFluCase
09-11-2009, 8:04 PM
We seem to see about 2 - 3 blown power supplies per year. We mostly deploy Dell systems, but the ones that go are the really cheesy no name units in the sweatshop boxes. I almost never see a Proliant PSU die.

Have you done an autopsy yet?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Intimid8tor
09-11-2009, 8:37 PM
I had a PSU blow earlier this year. It took down the motherboard at the same time. Pissed me off.

THT
09-12-2009, 5:20 AM
We seem to see about 2 - 3 blown power supplies per year. We mostly deploy Dell systems, but the ones that go are the really cheesy no name units in the sweatshop boxes. I almost never see a Proliant PSU die.

Have you done an autopsy yet?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

I cracked it open but I didn't see anything wrong; I didn't spend more than 30 seconds looking at it though. I never realized how much I would miss my dual 22" LCDs but an hour of working on a 17" laptop did the trick.

Stormfeather
09-13-2009, 11:37 PM
try hitting it?

Sinixstar
09-14-2009, 1:42 AM
I've had many power supplies die over the years. Cheap ones, expensive ones, doesn't seem to make a difference. What does make a difference is the current coming off the wall, or even a bad surge protector. Not an electrician - so I don't know the technical terms - but sometimes bad wiring just eats those things up.

A good UPS will generally solve this problem.

Sinixstar
09-14-2009, 1:44 AM
I had a PSU blow earlier this year. It took down the motherboard at the same time. Pissed me off.

The best is when it takes out the hard drive. Go to turn the thing on, and you just get an error as if you didn't even have a drive in the thing. Had this happen to 3 computers in the same office at the same day because they plugged directly in the wall. Something happened over night and *zap*.

ya, that was fun.

THT
09-14-2009, 5:30 AM
It's been plugged in to an APC UPS since I built it :D

AlliedArmory
09-14-2009, 6:55 AM
didn't smell that nasty burnt out psu smell? I likey my Antec psu. They usually last me a good 3-4 yrs

oh yea and always run a APC

THT
09-16-2009, 6:54 AM
didn't smell that nasty burnt out psu smell? I likey my Antec psu. They usually last me a good 3-4 yrs

oh yea and always run a APC

Nope. It was really weird. I have a feeling I was over-taxing the poor unit (seven HDDs, a heavily-overclocked processor, etc.)

Area 52
09-18-2009, 9:36 PM
What hardware are you using that made you decide to get a 620 watt? The 450 watt that came with the case I bought when building my PC runs everything just fine, including a huge 8 inch fan that came built in to the side of the case.

THT
09-19-2009, 7:57 PM
What hardware are you using that made you decide to get a 620 watt? The 450 watt that came with the case I bought when building my PC runs everything just fine, including a huge 8 inch fan that came built in to the side of the case.

1 - Q6600 overclocked to 3.2GHz
4 - Raptors in a RAID 5 array
1 - 1TB HDD
1 - 1.5TB HDD
1 - Optical drive
1 - Overclocked 8800GT