View Full Version : 80%

09-11-2009, 2:19 PM
I hear the term 80% used with owner built 1911's. Can someone explain to me what the 80% means? History, or parts required or?

09-11-2009, 2:42 PM
It means the frame is not complete (only 80%% complete or less) so by legal definition it is not a firearm. An 80% frame will require the buyer to finish some millwork, drilling, cutting, shaping, etc. It will not require an FFL to purchase the frame as it is not a legal firearm (the buyer is legally the one who built the gun, not the company who created the 80% frame).

09-12-2009, 8:08 AM
I had guessed that it was an incomplete frame, but is there a better definition of what is an 80% frame? 3 people will see 3 different percentages if there is no definition.

09-12-2009, 11:34 AM
thats the problem. 80% is not a legal term, but just a term that people use to decribe an approximate level of completion. ATF looks at a specific receiver and says that it is either a firearm or not. There is no written standard on where that line is at, just whatever ATF rules at that time. And previous ATF rulings can be superceded by a new ruling at any time.