PDA

View Full Version : COE arrived...

kdm
09-10-2009, 5:39 PM
In an otherwise *&#^%#-up day (how could AB962 pass???), I got one piece of good news...COE arrived. PDQ, too...less than 14 days. Can't wait to cash-n-carry a CZ52.

fd15k
09-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Waste of money.

EBR Works
09-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Waste of money.

Not really. Nothing like having the ability to cash and carry C&R rifles and pistols from a dealer as well as buy as many handguns at one time as you desire. I have done it. I like it. Not a waste.

fd15k
09-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Drive to AZ for a gunshow on weekend ;) Use your FFL03 to buy as many
C&R handguns and rifles as you want, and carry them home the same day.
Registration for handguns is $19 versus $25 DROS.

Not really. Nothing like having the ability to cash and carry C&R rifles and pistols from a dealer as well as buy as many handguns at one time as you desire.

EBR Works
09-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Yep, AZ is a good idea. But you still will not be able to buy more than one modern handgun per month without a COE.

If AB962 passes, you'll be exempt if you have a C&R and COE. That exemption is specifically in the bill unless they revise it.

fd15k
09-10-2009, 11:15 PM
We should make a poll about it: how many calgunners normally buy more than
1 modern handgun per month :D

Yep, AZ is a good idea. But you still will not be able to buy more than one modern handgun per month without a COE.

EBR Works
09-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Well then, the AB962 exemption might make it worthwhile, no?

fd15k
09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
If AB962 passes, I will double the rate of my trips to AZ instead of getting a
COE.

Well then, the AB962 exemption might make it worthwhile, no?

dfletcher
09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Waste of money.

Because .......?

fd15k
09-10-2009, 11:29 PM
What does COE do for you ? Cash&Carry C&R items, and buy more than 1
handgun per month ? It doesn't even lift the waiting period on modern stuff,
and you're still paying the DROS fee. It's a joke DOJ is playing on us!
Do you want to be made fun of ?

Because .......?

sholling
09-11-2009, 12:09 AM

Then don't get one. I'll be laughing at you when I buy 2 handguns the same week. ;)

OlderThanDirt
09-11-2009, 8:03 AM
If AB962 passes, I will double the rate of my trips to AZ instead of getting a
COE.

Waste of money.

CHS
09-11-2009, 8:23 AM
We should make a poll about it: how many calgunners normally buy more than
1 modern handgun per month :D

Normally? Not normally.

Have I done it? Yes, on several occasions.

Usually, I end up buying both handguns and having the dealer hold one for the 30 days. It's a pain. Or I'll buy one and start DROS and then just put the other on layaway. Come back 30 days later, pay off, start DROS.

I've also done a PPT within a few days of buying a handgun.

zinfull
09-11-2009, 9:46 AM
As a matter of fact I have bought C&R pistols away from home and did not have to drive 5 hrs to pick up. I also DROSed 6 guns in one sitting. Well worth the money.

Jerry

dfletcher
09-11-2009, 11:46 AM

I buy a fair amount of C & Rs and want to take them with me 1st time around, not drive back in 10 days. I also happen to buy more than one handgun in a 30 day period "sort of regularly" and like having the ability to say "Sure, I'll take it" instead of having to wait. A few months ago I bought a new Springfield EMP and a new Colt Defender and something else I can't remember in the same week, this week I'm DROS'ing a Kahr Mk40 and a Blackhawk. On gas alone the $22.00 I spend a year on the COE is worth it.

I don't like paying for something I feel I should have a right to do for free, but for me it isn't a waste of money. You might feel it is for you, OK - but it isn't for me.

Flopper
09-11-2009, 2:53 PM
In an otherwise *&#^%#-up day (how could AB962 pass???), I got one piece of good news...COE arrived. PDQ, too...less than 14 days. Can't wait to cash-n-carry a CZ52.

Thanks for bringing this up; I didn't know these even existed!

So, only 14 days. . . I wonder what the wait time will be once AB962 passes.

kdm
09-11-2009, 3:20 PM
Interesting point, that. I'd originally gotten the COE to supplement my C&R license just for the cash and carry. Seems as though having these two would exempt the holder from AB962...provided the online seller agreed.

Dieseldog
09-11-2009, 5:02 PM
Ok. I have the C&R. Where are the forms for the COE? All i can find on DOJ's site is an Employee COE. Are they the same?

ke6guj
09-11-2009, 5:12 PM
AFAIK, there is only one COE form, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf . Just follow the directions and select Collector as the option.

kdm
09-11-2009, 7:06 PM
Yep...that's the form I filled out.

Most difficult part of the process is the Live Scan thingie. Pain in the butt. :mad:

Here's a listing of Live Scan spots...

http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.htm

Shiloh13
09-11-2009, 7:23 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a COE and what does it do for you?

kdm
09-11-2009, 7:28 PM
COE...Certificate of Eligibility. Coupled with a C&R license, it allows you to cash and carry any C&R, after DROS. Also negates the 1-in-30 day rule.

EBR Works
09-11-2009, 7:49 PM
COE...Certificate of Eligibility. Coupled with a C&R license, it allows you to cash and carry any C&R from a dealer, after DROS. Also negates the 1-in-30 day rule for all handguns, modern and C&R.

Just a bit of clarification..

Shiloh13
09-11-2009, 8:22 PM
OK, so with the C&R + COE I can purchase any C&R rifle or handgun from a dealer (in CA or out of CA), complete the DROS, and take them home that day. A C&R handgun purchased out of CA must be registered by sending the correct form with $19 to the DOJ when I get home.

I can also purchase a C&R rifle on line without wait or DROS?

It also allows me to purchase more than one modern or C&R handgun a month through a CA dealer. However a modern handgun will still require both DROS and a 10-day wait.

Does that about cover it?

I apologize if I am hijacking this thread, but I really appreciate the help and patience from all.

kdm
09-11-2009, 8:36 PM
No prob, Shiloh13...and, thanks for the additional info, impactco.

Yep...all your points are correct.

EBR Works
09-11-2009, 9:01 PM
OK, so with the C&R + COE I can purchase any C&R rifle or handgun from a dealer (in CA or out of CA), complete the DROS, and take them home that day. A C&R handgun purchased out of CA must be registered by sending the correct form with $19 to the DOJ when I get home.

I can also purchase a C&R rifle on line without wait or DROS?

It also allows me to purchase more than one modern or C&R handgun a month through a CA dealer. However a modern handgun will still require both DROS and a 10-day wait.

Does that about cover it?

I apologize if I am hijacking this thread, but I really appreciate the help and patience from all.

Correct.

sd_shooter
09-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Seems worth it to me! It's not right to have to pay for my rights, but on the other hand $22 is a small fee if it nullifies AB962 while we're waiting for it to be overturned.

Shiloh13
09-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I have been thinking of doing this for a while. AB962 just pushed me over the edge on this. I have requested the forms, and hope to get everything done ASAP. It is still a great thing to have even if the Governor vetoes AB962.

Has anyone sent for the form recently? I read in another post where someone had requested the form twice with no luck yet. I am wondering if California might also start limiting approvals of the COE in light of AB962 and the obvious rush on COE requests to come.

ke6guj
09-12-2009, 12:25 PM
no need to request the COE forms. Just download the form right here http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf, get livescanned at one the livescan places, and send in the paperwork. ~2 weeks later you should have your COE.

1923mack
09-12-2009, 1:45 PM
That live scan listing was very nice. Thanks

Shiloh13
09-12-2009, 3:21 PM
no need to request the COE forms. Just download the form right here http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf, get livescanned at one the livescan places, and send in the paperwork. ~2 weeks later you should have your COE.

Sorry, my request for info was for the C&R form.
Geez! I know exactly what I am thinking... Why doesn't everyone else???:D:D:D

Blue
09-12-2009, 3:25 PM
Drive to AZ for a gunshow on weekend ;) Use your FFL03 to buy as many
C&R handguns and rifles as you want, and carry them home the same day.
Registration for handguns is $19 versus $25 DROS.

Easy for someone from LA to say.

steelrain82
09-12-2009, 4:12 PM
even if he's from la it's still cost more in gas driving to an from AZ and paying the $19 registration fee than it would be just paying paying the $25 DROS fee so who's really gonna get laughed at.

thedrickel
09-12-2009, 6:11 PM
even if he's from la it's still cost more in gas driving to an from AZ and paying the $19 registration fee than it would be just paying paying the $25 DROS fee so who's really gonna get laughed at.

But the guns will probably be a lot cheaper . . .

fd15k
09-12-2009, 6:15 PM
Guns are cheaper, more variety, plus the fun is priceless.

As for being laughed at... It's not me who is laughing at guys with COE, it's
legislators who laugh at all of us... :mad:

But the guns will probably be a lot cheaper . . .