PDA

View Full Version : Vista and Nero

dwtt
09-10-2009, 4:33 PM
I hope someone can give me pointers about MS Vista.
I had used Nero with no problems on our old computer, then our computer died and we got a new laptop with Vista. The problem is when I start Nero now under Vista, it pops up a window saying I need "privileges" under Windows NT to use Nero to write to DVD-R disks. I looked under the configuration window for the admin account and couldn't figure out how to get around this thing.
Anyone know how I can get around this problem? Do I have to reconfigure the user profile properties?
Thanks.

Prc329
09-10-2009, 5:20 PM
CDburnerXP. Its free and way less bloated then nero.

ocabj
09-10-2009, 5:46 PM
Back when XP first came out, older versions of Nero had that problem and Ahead released patches for it. Download the update/patch for your version of Nero.

cousinkix1953
09-10-2009, 7:08 PM
Back when XP first came out, older versions of Nero had that problem and Ahead released patches for it. Download the update/patch for your version of Nero.
Exactly right. Nero stopped updating (vers. 4-5-6) when VISTA came out. Version 7 was a basket case, which never worked right and became extinct in about one year. Nero 8 isn't much better.

Nero 6.6 Reloaded was the last of their good programs. Enjoy it while you still use Windows 98-SE - XP. It will never be updated to work on machines with VISTA or the new Windows 7 to be released next month. So CD Burner XP Pro is the best solution with the new operating systems...

hamsalad
09-10-2009, 7:23 PM
Nero = junk.

Use http://infrarecorder.org/

cousinkix1953
09-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Nero = junk.

Use http://infrarecorder.org/
It sure is now. The Ahead Software warehouse is located near you in Glendale if I remember right. We never had a big problem with Nero 5.5xx - 6.6xx; but I'll never use versions 7-9. Too much bloatware and they suck...

SmokinMr2
09-11-2009, 12:12 AM
What version of Nero?
At the very least you will need to run Nero as administrator to get access to your burner.

cousinkix1953
09-11-2009, 12:31 AM
What version of Nero?
At the very least you will need to run Nero as administrator to get access to your burner.

Click run as....
Click on the dot next to "current home user".....
Check protect my computer and data from unauthorized........
Disabling the dot next to "the following user" turns off the administrator requirement. Anybody can use the burner...

dwtt
09-11-2009, 8:50 AM
thanks for the info everyone. I'm already running as admin on the computer so I can't understand why Vista is so retarded. I'll try installing the updates, but if that doesn't work, I'll use another program.
Man, I hate microsoft crap.

cousinkix1953
09-11-2009, 10:48 PM
thanks for the info everyone. I'm already running as admin on the computer so I can't understand why Vista is so retarded. I'll try installing the updates, but if that doesn't work, I'll use another program.
This is why we build our own machines instead buying them ready to go in the stores. It's not hard to format a hard drive and install Windows XP instead of that Vista garbage. There is nothing on our computers that we didn't install ourselves!

Telperion
09-12-2009, 6:49 PM

Under vista, all administrator accounts are actually limited accounts until some operation is done that requires elevation. Then the UAC window pops up. It's not just a Microsoft thing, this is the same security model that is in OS X and linux now.

Vista's built-in CD/DVD burning doesn't need elevation, so maybe Nero is just a sack of crap?

Someoneelseok
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
back in the day 8-10 years ago, Nero Burning Rom was one of the nicest CD Burning programs available. It was simple and lightweight, me and my techie friends preferred it all the time. And then Nero took off and started getting more and more bloated. Now they call it Nero Suite complete with a MediaPlayer, picture software and everything...ew

Try imgburn, its a free open source solution. Its simple, lightweight and runs well on Vista/Seven platforms.

dwtt
09-13-2009, 3:52 PM
I've realized the problem is with Nero, and it is a sack of crap when running on Vista. I kept my Nero from the old days because it worked so well back then, but it doesn't work in vista, and I have no desire to load the current version of Nero which does video editing, photo album stuff, media playing, and toasting bread in addition to burning cds and dvds. I downloaded CDburnerXP and it works well.