PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mini 30 - CA version???

Bling Bling
03-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Prior to the 2000 CA AW ban I bought a large amount of hi-caps, belts, links, etc. for rifles I didn't own yet that I knew weren't going to be affected. One of these was the Ruger mini 30.

Now I just recently picked up a mini 30 and to my surprise the mags that I bought don't fit! Evidently the pinhole mag catch in the receiver has been raised so that it will not accept the mags I have! I bought a few 10 rounders and they work fine.

Is this something that Ruger has changed for a "CA legal mini 30"? If so, now that it will not accept a hi-cap mag, can I put an evil feature on it to make up for this (gotta have my evil features!)?

I wonder if there is a similar problem with the Mini 14 too. I have lots of hi-caps for that that I bought that could be useless to me too.

Bling Bling
03-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Prior to the 2000 CA AW ban I bought a large amount of hi-caps, belts, links, etc. for rifles I didn't own yet that I knew weren't going to be affected. One of these was the Ruger mini 30.

Now I just recently picked up a mini 30 and to my surprise the mags that I bought don't fit! Evidently the pinhole mag catch in the receiver has been raised so that it will not accept the mags I have! I bought a few 10 rounders and they work fine.

Is this something that Ruger has changed for a "CA legal mini 30"? If so, now that it will not accept a hi-cap mag, can I put an evil feature on it to make up for this (gotta have my evil features!)?

I wonder if there is a similar problem with the Mini 14 too. I have lots of hi-caps for that that I bought that could be useless to me too.

50 Freak
03-15-2005, 12:37 PM
That's because Ruger's mini-anything sucks. Their anti-gun agenda sucks. Bill Ruger sucks.

Example, how many people have complained that the one of the biggest flaws of the Mini was the thin barrel. Which leads to piss poor (below SKS) accuracy. How many decades has this complaint been there, and how freaking difficult would it be for Ruger to come out with a slightly heavier barrel. That would get rid of the accuracy problems in a flash. But to this day, Ruger still doesn't have a HB Mini. Just shows you how much they value their customer's wants. Bill Ruger believes that only the police and military need hi-caps and civilians can make due with the 5 rounders they give (10 if your lucky). Even after the expiration of the AW Bill, Ruger still will not sell "hi-caps" to civilians.

Screw Ruger.

Bling Bling
03-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Geez 50 Freak, how do you feel about Ruger? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

By the way, you have some paint right between your eyes. How did that get there? Oh wait it's from my paintball marker! HA!

Sorry man, it was only combat!

Mugwump
03-15-2005, 2:59 PM
An interesting read on Ruger:
http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

A couple of William B. Ruger's quotes:
"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."
"I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 or 30 round magazines or my folding stock."
"I see nothing wrong with waiting periods."

bwiese
03-15-2005, 3:25 PM
The only Rugers I buy are single actions. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Congrats on buying mags ahead of time for guns you don't even own yet. I thought I was the only one with that sickness, but glad to find others...

I don't think there's any great conspiracy in your Mini 30. I'll bet you the magazines w/problems are aftermarket magazines???

Mini 14/30s as well as AR15s all had problems with mags rushed into production in late 1994 - esp those from "USA Mfg", "Precision", and "PMI", as well as other no-name ones.

Non-USGI AR mags I've played with from USA took some work to get to marginal reliability. Quite a bit of Dremel work was required on non-Colt 9mm AR magazines.

My PMI Mini14 mags took quite a bit of lube, and required lotsa follower exercise w/a popsicle stick to guarantee effortless feed.
Sometimes had to tweak lip angles.

I'd bet any factory Mini 30 mag from any year fits in your new Mini 30.

Bottom line: w/exception of MecGar pistol mags, most aftermarket hicap mags are _crap_.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

50 Freak
03-15-2005, 3:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Geez 50 Freak, how do you feel about Ruger? Smile

By the way, you have some paint right between your eyes. How did that get there? Oh wait it's from my paintball marker! HA! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, yeah.... both you and I know that was a lucky shot. The paintball bounced off the ground a few times and rolled over to me. But I guess that was still a good hit..hahahahahahahah http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

Lady Luck favors the dorks I guess.

Either way, seriously Ruger Mini-whatever have always been finicky about aftermarket mags. The only ones that work reliably are factory mags, but Ruger won't sell those to mere mortals like ourselves.

I told you to stick with your Mak90. That by far is a 100 times better than your Mini-30.

Bling Bling
03-15-2005, 3:41 PM
Well I'm not very impressed with the accuracy of my mini 30 so far. I've done much better with my MAK 90.

I think I'll pass on the mini 14. I guess those mini 14 mags I bought will just take up closet space.

Bling Bling
03-15-2005, 3:44 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bwiese:
The only Rugers I buy are single actions. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have a friend that keeps trying to sell me a blackhawk she bought back in the 70's. Are there any issues with the older ones?

bwiese
03-15-2005, 4:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bling Bling:
I have a friend that keeps trying to sell me a Blackhawk she bought back in the 70's. Are there any issues with the older ones? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newer BHs seem to have a tad better fit & finish but 70s BHs can be great shooters or platforms for upgrades/tweaks. But if you like the gun, get it.

Starting in 1973, Ruger BHs incorporated a new transfer bar safety so you could safely carry 6 rounds on your hip. (Most single-action revolvers require leaving hammer on an empty cylinder for safety - for example, SASS shoots always deal with 5 rounds).

If you don't have a transfer bar safety you can ship it for free to Ruger and they will install one for you for free and ship it back to you.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Pthfndr
03-15-2005, 4:29 PM
Hi cap mags that fit and function well in the Minin 30 are few and far between. I to had bought several and wound up throwing them all away or returning them. The only 2 that worked - and I kept - were a couple Thermolds. Worth their weight in gold.

-hanko
03-15-2005, 7:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
Bottom line: w/exception of MecGar pistol mags, most aftermarket hicap mags are _crap_.

Bill Wiese
San Jose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MecGar's are what you get with you new BHP, among others...I'd take one any day.

USA mags make great targets

-hanko

ivanimal
03-16-2005, 8:51 AM
Out of the six 30 round mini 30 mags I own 0 will cycle 30 rounds without a misfeed when I put 20 rounds in them they do pretty well. Like BWeise did I went through a great deal of pain to make sure they would work in the field. When I use it for rabbit or coyote I never put in more than 10 rounds. They have been flawless within 10 rounds. I recently bought Millets 10 round plastic mags to see if I could lessen the weight and size of the mags while carrying. I must say I am very happy with their performance, I am not a big fan of plastic, these perform well, not one hiccup yet. They are inexpensive as well. I use nosler 125 gr. ballistic tipped 308 dia. projectiles. They seem to do the best in my mini 30. If you reload I can post the recipe. I dont mind Ruger products they make sturdy everyday guns. Not one of my many rugers is a safe queen. Even the 1950's MK2 I use for squirrel. If you look hard enough every manufacturer has dirt on them, I just like to shoot and hunt.

bwiese
03-16-2005, 9:21 AM
There are a couple of big problem with hicap aftermarket mags for Mini14s/30s and AR15s. Sometimes these can be resolved.

To do this right usu requires ownership/access to a known-good/working quality hicap mag, preferably factory (or USGI in case of ARs) and a set of good calipers.

Lotsa these mags were rushed into production in late 93-early 94 before Fed AWB set in.

I had to go thru this when I was dealing with some 3-way Uzi/9mm AR/Feather AT9 mags for my old 9mm Colt AR15 conversion.

These items below are a bit generic and apply to many clone semiauto rifle mags from USA, PMI etc.

<LI>Mag Catch Opening: The mag catch opening may be cut too high or low in mag, and will affect the height the mag seats within the mag well. Generally the aftermarket mag mfgrs seem to err on safe side, and the mag may run slightly HIGH inside the gun when locked in - so you can remove a _bit_ of material on top edge of mag catch opening and can lower mag's seated position in gun. (As opposed to converse situation, where mag rides too low - you'd have to 'add' material to mag's mag catch hole, which'd be difficult.)

Carefully measure distance from mag lips to top of mag catch opening on known-good quality mag and try to get your aftermarket mags the same with a touch of Dremel.

This may help feed & mag loading issues with fully loaded 30rnd aftermarket mags.

<LI>Magazine Lip Angle: carefully bend clone mag lips to match factory mag's lip angle.

<LI>Magzine lip extent: examine factory mag and see how far forward & backwards the mag lips run. Your aftermarket mag may have _longer_ lips in the fore/aft direction than a stock factory mag.

<LI>Magzine lip width: examine factory mags for the width of mag lips. If too wide, they could affect feeding, and slow bolt down when stripping round off of mag.

<LI>Mag springs: aftermarket mags may be too weak (could be too strong but prob rare). If you can get factory springs for factory mags or Wolff springs, try replacing with those.

<LI>Followers: If you can, replace clone mag follower w/a quality follower. May not be possible though without spring head reconfiguration.

<LI>Follower movement: Can follower move freely? Is inside of mag rough or edges of follower rough? A bit of light burnishing of follower edges and exercising follower travel a 100+ times with a wooden stick may be very helpful.

This is California, where even nonworking hicaps still have value http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bill Wiese
San Jose

stillbigmac
03-16-2005, 4:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -hanko:

USA mags make great targets

-hanko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make good bench blocks too.