PDA

View Full Version : What do you base your decisions on when buying a used gun?

kalibear
05-20-2005, 10:17 PM
1. Price
2. Brand
3. Condition
4. Caliber
5. Accessories that it comes with

Of course, I would inspect it first or if its an out of state seller I usually try and research to make sure he or she is a reputable seller.

Turbinator
05-21-2005, 7:47 AM
For me, it's a combinatin of all of those factors..

1) Is the price "good enough" for the item to make me want to get it, compared to retail store prices or Shotgun News prices?

2) Is the brand something desirable that I want, and that would carry a reasonable resale value in the future? Do I know and trust the brand?

3) Is the price commensurate with the condition? Great condition items with lower prices obviously win out here.

4) Is it a caliber I don't already own too much of, or a caliber that I'd like to get into? An off-caliber will make me run away even if everything else is just right. e.g. I have never really wanted something in .25ACP.

5) Does the item come with enough accessories to make the price worthwhile? e.g. a handgun that might have 10 mags thrown in for free.

Just my take!
Turby

snwnme@realguns.com
05-21-2005, 10:04 AM
1: If it ain't a Colt or a Smith revolver, I ain't interested.

2: It has to appeal to me. I'll do a double take on N frames other than 44 Mags and old Js. I'm all K framed out unless I run into a K32 or a M-16.

3: Price commensurate with condition. I'm not going to pay collector prices for NIB guns because they will be used.

4: Caliber.

5: Features (sights, grips, etc.)

Ford8N
05-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Emotion

JAFGO
05-21-2005, 1:32 PM
1. Condition ~ condition is everything.

2. Price ~ almost as important as condition, but spending a little extra today can often seen as cheap tomorrow.

3. Brand ~ brand is important, but if condition and price is right, what the hell. You can always flip it.

4. Accessories that it comes with ~ original, vintage accessories can increase a gun's value significantly, but they're really just icing on the cake.

5. Caliber ~ I like oddball calibers, even if they aren't practical. There are lots of very valuable guns out there in obsolete calibers, so that is the least important to me.

chickenfried
05-21-2005, 2:22 PM
First, how sexy would I look holding the firearm?
Second, price commensurate with condition, how much of a deal is it?

s281c
05-21-2005, 3:53 PM
1. price
2. condition

Heh, whether I have one already or if I need it never enters the equation........ http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RRangel
05-21-2005, 4:03 PM
Brand. Is it something I want?

Condition. Is it something that isn't junk?

Price because depending on condition is it worth it?

blackmajik530@aol.com
05-21-2005, 5:17 PM
SIZE:

Is it small enough that I can hide/sneek past it from the Girlfriend/wife?

stodgman
05-21-2005, 5:27 PM
1) Price - I do not pay TOO much attention to price. If it is what I REALLY want I will save/scrimp for awhile.
2) Brand - Is it a quality product? If not, I do not want to own it. I do not sell guns so I do not want to buy junky ones.
3) Condition - I want a gun that is in good working condition. If it looks nice that is a plus.
4) Caliber - I have a rule (really a guideline) - NO NEW CALIBERS!
5) Accessories - Nice and helps me justify the price but I am most interested in the gun itself.

LongBch_SigP226
05-21-2005, 5:55 PM
Originally posted by Black Majik:
SIZE:

Is it small enough that I can hide/sneek past it from the Girlfriend/wife? Hopefully, she doesn't look under your pants then. LOL just kidding. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

s281c
05-21-2005, 6:25 PM
Originally posted by stodgman:
4) Caliber - I have a rule (really a guideline) - NO NEW CALIBERS!

I used to have that rule, my problem was I kept on breaking it............... http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
05-21-2005, 7:15 PM
1) Caliber
2) Maker
3) Condition
4) Seller's attitude
5) Price

05-21-2005, 7:32 PM
Originally posted by Black Majik:
SIZE:

Is it small enough that I can hide/sneek past it from the Girlfriend/wife?

You too, huh?

tkimerer@aol.com
05-22-2005, 5:21 PM
Emotion also- if the gun "speaks to me" when I handle it then I look at price and condition.If price and condition are agreeable(or enough extras to sweeten the deal) Then I buy it, but if it doesn't tell me to take it home then it stays there.

PGBsuperior
05-22-2005, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by kalibear:
1. Price
2. Brand
3. Condition
4. Caliber

ummmm... does it go bang when you squeeze the trigger...

Amy

PGBsuperior
05-22-2005, 8:45 PM
Originally posted by PGB Superior:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kalibear:
1. Price
2. Brand
3. Condition
4. Caliber

ummmm... does it go bang when you squeeze the trigger...

But seriously:

There are certain guns I want, guns I've wanted for a long time. F'rinstance:

Colt Python, blued, 6 in. barrel, early production.

Winchester Garand.
IHC Garand.

Desert Eagle .44 mag, two tone w/Millet sights

and my new gotta-have,

S&W .500 magnum

Like stodgman I don't sell guns either, and what I buy is what I wanted, and mean to keep.

Amy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ivanimal
05-30-2005, 11:52 PM
I used to buy to what I can use hunting. Now I just want as many guns as I can legally own before the laws change and make them illegal. I never had a use for a 9MM now I own 2. Go figure. I will buy anything 5 MM. I also love 22 caliber, and smaller wheelguns for teaching kids and women.