PDA

View Full Version : Time for the Final Push to stop Customs Pocket Knife Grab

here4fun
09-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I am not certain which topic forum this post should be placed in - please feel free to move as appropriate.

I've been active in contacting our California representatives regarding AB962 and AB585 using the phone and written coorespondence. Now that the U.S. Congress is back in session, a final push is also needed to protect our rights to carry pocket knives without interference from the U.S. Customs Bureau. A small number of House committee leaders will be involved in the Conference Committee that decides if Amendment 1447 is included in the final Homeland Security Appropriations Act bill. Three of the House Committee leaders are based here in California.

Please consider the information at http://www.kniferights.org/ and take a moment to comprise a fax transmittal to the three key committee members from California.

Thanks!

yellowfin
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Glad you brought this to our attention.

here4fun
09-14-2009, 6:50 AM
The Conference Committee is scheduled to meet this week on Amendment 1447 to the final Homeland Security Appropriations Act.

Please ensure your voice and position is heard by our Federal representatives through using the actions suggested at http://www.kniferights.org

1911_sfca
09-14-2009, 8:57 AM
Thank you for writing to share your concerns about a recent regulation on pocket knives issued by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). I appreciate hearing your opinion about the impact of this rule, which would prohibit certain knives with spring or release-assisted opening devices from being imported to the United States.

According to CBP, there has not been a consistent policy about which switchblade knives may be admitted into the United States in accordance with the Switchblade Knife Act. Under current U.S. law, switchblade knives are defined as having a blade that opens automatically by applying hand pressure to part of the knife, or by way of inertia or gravity. According to CBP, the knives at issue open instantly, have the potential to be used as weapons, and importation would violate regulations in the Switchblade Knife Act. At this time, the agency has not published a final rule on this matter.

You may be pleased to know that on July 9, 2009, the Senate passed by unanimous consent an amendment to the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act of 2010 that clarifies which knives may be exempted from regulations in the Switchblade Knife Act. The amendment states that the spring-assisted knives at the center of this rule may be imported to the U.S. At this time, this bill is being reconciled with a version passed by the House of Representatives in a Conference Committee.

Again, I appreciate hearing from you and hope this information is useful to you. I will be mindful of your concerns should the Senate have an opportunity to review this policy in the future. I invite you to contact my Washington D.C. office at (202)-224-3841 if you have any questions or additional comments. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the Nation are available at my website http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/. You can also receive electronic e-mail updates by subscribing to my e-mail list at http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ENewsletterSignup.Signup.

yellowfin
09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Somehow hearing from Feinslime on the matter doesn't reassure me in the slightest.

SmokinMr2
09-14-2009, 1:55 PM
I remember this from July. I think it's a dead issue.

here4fun
09-14-2009, 5:22 PM
The definition and incorporation of Amendment 1447 by the Senate has been put forward for the Conference Committee to reconcile with the House input which lacks specific provisions. Final version of the Homeland Security Act will be delivered by the Conference Committee and the specific communication campaign suggested by KnifeRights.org is to ensure Amendment 1447 does not get dropped from the final Act.

here4fun
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
The Homeland Security Act of 2009 has passed through the House and Senate with Amendment 1447 intact. It now sits on the President's desk for signature.

Thanks to all who made an effort to push this proposal through. More information may be found at http://www.kniferights.org

dantodd
10-21-2009, 11:54 AM
The Homeland Security Act of 2009 has passed through the House and Senate with Amendment 1447 intact. It now sits on the President's desk for signature.

Thanks to all who made an effort to push this proposal through. More information may be found at http://www.kniferights.org

Congrats on a big win!

wash
10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure this is a big deal. If you can work to insure that knives are protected by the second amendment, everything that we get from incorporation will roll downhill to knives and that's probably more than 1447 has in it.

Lets go for the big win.

dantodd
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure this is a big deal. If you can work to insure that knives are protected by the second amendment, everything that we get from incorporation will roll downhill to knives and that's probably more than 1447 has in it.

Lets go for the big win.

It is a big deal because the proposed regulation could have gone into effect before incorporation meaning one more infringement to fight post-incorporation. Knife rights are one of the many things that will have to be litigated to find the bounds of the Second Amendment.

HondaMasterTech
10-21-2009, 2:38 PM
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

wash
10-21-2009, 2:50 PM
One big basket is exactly what we want. That way everyone will have a reason to fight for it.

But let's look at what 1447 does, it prevents CBP from calling assisted openers switchblades. Well guess what, they already got them to back down from that a while ago. That might not have been permanent but they got kicked hard enough that they probably won't try it again soon, most probably not before we get second amendment incorporation and scrutiny standards that would make that whole Switchblade Knife Act hard to enforce and easy to challenge.

This is just a case of knife guys doing their own thing while there are bigger RKBA issues on the table and the effect of 1447 is nothing.

here4fun
10-22-2009, 2:14 AM
My original post clearly states to please move this post to a more suitable area if necessary primarily due to my belief that possession of Tools is not solely a 2A rights issue. I am all for creating leverage to defend 2A rights and can see how one may want to lump everything in one basket for the purposes of increased leverage but the following two "tag lines" or positions for the Knife Rights effort (as quoted from the website) hit home with me:

"The first emphasizes our primary objective to defend our freedom to own, carry and use the knives we choose, fighting efforts to restrict our right to do so, providing for "A Sharper Future," not one dulled by ridiculous restrictions.

The second emphasizes our belief that these are TOOLS that have been essential to civilized society for practical and lawful purposes for millennia. Knives and other edged tools are a cornerstone of civilization and remain useful tools to millions of citizens even in the modern world. Our right to own, use and carry these tools should not be abridged; these are "Essential Tools - Essential Rights."

The primary objective above is aligned with current 2A challenges we face as individuals in that knives fall into the arms category with everything else we may bear. We could say that everything today can be swept up under the 2A rights of the Individual "...to keep and bear arms..." but to the second objective above I am unclear when or where firearms were ever declared Tools in most civilizations. In other words, the usage of edged Tools has been been present in civilizations much longer than the 11th century Chinese with gun powder and the earliest reference to the 'hand gonne' in the 15th century.

Complex and intertwined positions to be sure but I for one owned and carried a pocket knife well before I was ever eligible to own the firearms I have today.

If there is leverage to be found, so be it but given the unreasonable restrictions I've found placed on firearm ownership over the last 12 years here in California the last thing I would like to face is a nationwide ban on Tools much like the residents of the UK find themselves facing today.

Thanks for listening....

randy
10-22-2009, 2:41 AM
This is over. The people on the hill came to their senses and round filed this.

M. Sage
10-22-2009, 5:10 AM
My original post clearly states to please move this post to a more suitable area if necessary primarily due to my belief that possession of Tools is not solely a 2A rights issue.

Knives aren't solely a 2A issue, but they definitely are a 2A issue.