PDA

View Full Version : Loaded open carry question

oldschool88
09-10-2009, 9:32 AM
I am planing on going to shoot at either Spenceville or Oroville public range and have a question about loaded open carry. I assume it would be legal to UOC while shooting at the range but would it be legal to carry loaded? I don't see why not, seeing as you could have a loaded handgun in your hand, so why not a holster. But I am having trouble finding a definitive answer and I definately do not want to break any laws. Thanks for the help.

para38super
09-10-2009, 9:50 AM
I beleive you have to call the range and ask for their rules.

oldschool88
09-10-2009, 9:53 AM
The ranges are free public ranges and are un supervised(no RO). I think that they are on BLM land but I am not sure.

sorensen440
09-10-2009, 9:54 AM
If you can shoot you can carry loaded has always been my understanding

Theseus
09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
If you can shoot you can carry loaded has always been my understanding

Close enough.

I do no that many supervised ranges forbid "average" citizens from any form of holster carry. No holster draw either.

Some ranges do allow their members to do so on their private ranges, and because of this I am considering becoming a member of some area ranges.

But I am not familiar with those ranges and don't know if any of the above applies or not.

sorensen440
09-10-2009, 10:55 AM
BTW, "Loaded Open Carry" is illegal, but I can imagine how you feel. "Normal Open carry" not exciting enough anymore, huh?

hey, why stop at pistols? Start UOCing with long guns. C'mon, be the first to OC with an AR!!! Yahooo!!!!
LOC is not illegal in places you are allowed to shoot (National forests for example)

Decoligny
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Ranges have the sense to not permit what UOC people want to do. They know guns aren't for playing games with, making political statements with or getting in other's faces with.

You might as well join the Black Panthers.

BTW, "Loaded Open Carry" is illegal, but I can imagine how you feel. "Normal Open carry" not exciting enough anymore, huh?

hey, why stop at pistols? Start UOCing with long guns. C'mon, be the first to OC with an AR!!! Yahooo!!!! (isn't that what cowboys say?)

Have you ever shot a gun in California? If so, you have LOADED OPEN CARRIED. "Loaded Open Carry" is exactly what EVERY SINGLE SHOOTER is engaging in just by holding a loaded firearm at a range, so it is NOT illegal at a range.

The OP asked about being able to holster a loaded handgun while at an unsupervised range, not about carrying a loaded gun down Wilshire Blvd. Not a single statement about it being a political statement or about "playing games".

So, if the "unsupervised" range does not have any posted rules against having a loaded firearm in a holster, while firing at the range, then it would not be violating any laws to do so AT THE RANGE.

Even Hoffmang (Gene) has stated openly that he LOC is FINE, that's LOADED OPEN CARRY, wherever legal.

I want to make sure that people understand what CGF's position is because its not like we're asking for some open ended stand down.

1. Until incorporation no UOC. Just don't do it. LUCC or LOC where legal is fine. If you want to stage a protest, stage a protest and use obviously non gun guns...

2. After incorporation, pre "carry is a right", group UOC but be cautious - especially about GFSZs. We're now in a world where reasonable men can disagree about the effectiveness of UOC and its upsides and downsides. Absolute worst case time to getting to stage 2 is June 30, 2010 - less than 10 months from today.

3. After carry is a right (Sykes or Palmer final.) Individual UOC - go right ahead. But you may be able to do something even better... Worst case on this - 24-36 months.

-Gene

oldschool88
09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
The ranges I am talking about are areas where DFG (If im not mistaken) has cleared an area, set up benches, and designated as a range. But there are no officials there to supervise. Everyone just (in theory) shoots safely and acts responsible. I am not making any political statements, I just want to shoot and practice holster drills.

Theseus
09-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Are these kinds of areas only in Sacramento? Does anyone know of these places here in SoCal?

Some of the OC'ers want to get together and practice holster draw. Many of the open carry movement don't get much chance to, in proper and safe manner, draw, load, fire. . .A range that would allow us as a group to do so would be a god-send.

oldschool88
09-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Theseus, shooting on BLM land would probably allow you to do the same thing.

Here is Spenceville:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=201404&page=8

CaliforniaCarry
09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
To answer the original poster's question: In general, if you can shoot, you can LOC. Indeed, one practically requires the other. Ranges can and do make their own rules, however.

Alex$
09-10-2009, 2:35 PM
FWIW I never go to Oroville without a LOC holster, too many incidents of yahoos there. There have have been two occasions I start clearing out when the crazies show up and start shooting TVs, dressers, radios etc., no discipline and I spend too much time watching what they are doing instead of concentrating on what I am doing.

The last time I went downrange unarmed, someone started popping off shotshell at clays while people were still downrange. So LOC holster always for me there.

Since then I have seen at least one person every time I go practicing LOC draw and fire or CCW draw and fire, and one time even an UOC draw-load-fire.

Mark in Eureka
09-10-2009, 5:10 PM
Anytime I go shooting at a un-supervised range I am carrying a loaded weapon at all times.

At my gun club only the on duty range masters may holster and carry a loaded fire firearm. (club rule) From time to time, you may get permission from a range master to practice from the holster. (exception to club rule)

State law states if you are in an area that is legal to discharge firearm you may carry a loaded firearm.

CitaDeL
09-10-2009, 7:28 PM
LOC is not illegal everywhere in California- Else I would have been a bad, bad man in unincorporated territory.

Meplat
09-10-2009, 8:44 PM
If it's public land where shooting is OK you should be good to go unless otherwise posted. Be careful. Quick draw practice is prone to ADs. Start slow and deliberate. Concentrate on doing it right. Speed will come with practice, but should not be your goal. I think it was Doc Holiday who said the secret to being a good gunfighter is to "take your time in a hurry".:43:

The ranges I am talking about are areas where DFG (If im not mistaken) has cleared an area, set up benches, and designated as a range. But there are no officials there to supervise. Everyone just (in theory) shoots safely and acts responsible. I am not making any political statements, I just want to shoot and practice holster drills.

Meplat
09-10-2009, 8:56 PM
BLM, or National forrest. Find a backstop and set up a target.

Are these kinds of areas only in Sacramento? Does anyone know of these places here in SoCal?

Some of the OC'ers want to get together and practice holster draw. Many of the open carry movement don't get much chance to, in proper and safe manner, draw, load, fire. . .A range that would allow us as a group to do so would be a god-send.

916Plinker
09-11-2009, 3:44 PM
state parks or rec areas?

MudCamper
09-11-2009, 3:57 PM
state parks or rec areas?

This thread is starting to tread on my current favorite subject. :)

See Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).

retired
09-11-2009, 3:59 PM
If it's public land where shooting is OK you should be good to go unless otherwise posted. Be careful. Quick draw practice is prone to NDs. Start slow and deliberate. Concentrate on doing it right. Speed will come with practice, but should not be your goal. I think it was Doc Holiday who said the secret to being a good gunfighter is to "take your time in a hurry".:43:

Fixed it for you.;)

I'm not saying I agree with you, just changing it from AD to ND.

Meplat
09-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Fixed it for you.;)

I'm not saying I agree with you, just changing it from AD to ND.

Other than that what part do you disagree with.