PDA

View Full Version : So... what's a legal stop at the LAX airport security checkpoint?

scott.cr
09-10-2009, 6:15 AM
You know the one... that tarp at the street entrance to the airport, the one with three or four extremely bored and disinterested looking cops manning it. I recall a news item a few months ago where some clown got nabbed with some loaded firearms in the bed of his pickup truck.

So if you get flagged down for an inspection, what can the police do if you refuse? Simply turn you away from the airport? (It's a one-way street.)

Fjold
09-10-2009, 8:47 AM
I have to take Wifezilla to LAX for a trip in November and then pick her back up a week later, I'm betting that it would be interesting with my CCW permit.

cmonk518
09-10-2009, 9:38 AM
That was actually a very overblown story in the media. If you check updates online what actually happened, its very different from the original story. This old man was actually nice enough to pull over and tell them he had all legally registered assault weapons in locked containers and that he was picking up a friend from the airport and they were going to go shoot right afterwards.

Of course, upon hearing assault weapons at the airport, they overreacted and made this whole scene as if he were trying str8 to the airport to maim and hurt people with those rifles.

This does kind of suck to happen to some old 70 yr old man, but maybe a bit humiliated, all they could press charges on, was "making a stop with assault rifles in the car." I mean he had no ill intent, they should have just let the old man go. You have to check this out online. But I guess in CA, even with legally registered assault rifles, you have to transport them straight to and from competitions, shooting ranges, etc. without making any stops. Weird law but yeah, thats what they got the old man on.

I believe if you told airport police they cant search your car on airport property, esp after 9/11 they probably have every right to arrest and detain you and tow your car away before ransacking it. I know on airport grounds, because of the potential danger to so many people, staff, infrastructure, airplanes, etc. you give up alot of your rights on airport grounds and unlike regular streets, you can't be all like no you cant search my car, i want a search warrant, blah blah blah. I know they can detain you just for looking funny, which would be highly unconstitutional on regular streets.

ke6guj
09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
he got all his stuff back in the end.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=198633
To All the Calgunners,

Chuck and Joseph are the ****!!! they got me my stuff back and a 120.00 dollar fine. no felony

Cant say much more than that right now, I just want to give a shout out to all of you that helped out with my defense fund and give a big shout out to Chuck Micheal and Joseph Silvoso at Trutanich and Micheal...

Thanks to all, Great Job Guys, I was worried. Those guys didnt wavier and were very confident, I think the lady DA knew I was getting roped by the gun unit..... but that just my opinion

Phil Dominguez

The fine was for a pair of nunchakus that he had. No convictions or pleas on any firearms charges.

Dr Rockso
09-10-2009, 12:05 PM
he got all his stuff back in the end.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=198633

The fine was for a pair of nunchakus that he had. No convictions or pleas on any firearms charges.

I hadn't heard that, great news. Why is it always nunchakus?

curtisfong
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I hadn't heard that, great news. Why is it always nunchakus?

Because gun-grabbers are irony ignorant. Nunchakus: because 2nd class citizens aren't allowed to carry samurai swords.

cmonk518
09-10-2009, 2:01 PM
It's all about the Numchuks!!!

Damn, that would suck if he got a nunchaku possesion charge. Thats a pretty hefty charge in CA, possessing illegally classified weapons.

demnogis
09-10-2009, 2:18 PM
AFAIK the Officers that work for LAX still need RAS and/or PC to search your vehicle, detain you, or any other such thing.

Although, driving through hundreds of times I've never been stopped.