PDA

View Full Version : Excel .17hmr rifle made in Chino, Ca

fresno
02-18-2005, 8:00 PM
Hello everyone. Has any one had any experence with the Excel rifle made in .17. I've seen at the gun show in San Francisco Cow place, it looked very interesting.

fresno
02-18-2005, 8:00 PM
Hello everyone. Has any one had any experence with the Excel rifle made in .17. I've seen at the gun show in San Francisco Cow place, it looked very interesting.

vaporone_859k@hotmail.com
02-19-2005, 3:51 PM
I'll let you know next week, pick mine up on Wednesday http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Won't be able to get out to the property to give it a real outdoor test but I WILL be making a trip to Targetmasters probably to start getting a feel for it (One more bonus to shooting the .17, means more practice time) It's a hot load, no recoil and I don't know if you got to handle one at the Cow Palace but it feels great in my hands, real comfy. Bit on the pricy side I'd think though.

fresno
02-25-2005, 6:40 PM
DRouland, have you had a chance to fire that .17 yet I'm interested in one also, thank you.

NorCalGuy
02-25-2005, 8:54 PM
What are those Excel rifles acutally selling for?

fresno
02-26-2005, 10:09 PM
NorCalGuy, the only price I'v seen for the rifle is $465.00 check their web site. www.excelarms.com (http://www.excelarms.com)

NorCalGuy
02-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Aren't guns usually priced below suggested retail? $465 is what they have on their site. I called, and while they will sell directly to someone doing an FFL transfer, they wouldn't give me a price. They require your FFL dealer to send his license. Then he can get you a price (pain in the ***). What did you pay for yours DRouland? Cool looking fun, but not worth $465 to me.

02-27-2005, 9:16 PM
Picked it up, took it to the range, threw some lead and I've gotta say...yyyyeeahhhhh!

Please keep in mind that my personal experience with firearms is pretty new, haven't had the opportunity to shoot a real large variety but this little thing was a lot of fun.

Sandbagged with the red dot sight at maybe 20 something yards, was real easy to get a one inch grouping. Standing, the group spread but that's just me.The gun starts to feel heavy after a while, I think it's listed at 8 pounds but one of the major things that attracted me to it was how comfortable it is to hold and I could easily see spending a good amount of time with it in hand shooting. The length I think is something like 32 inches, making it a pretty short rifle.

Pros: easy to handle, fun to shoot, fed consistently, NO kick and with the heavy barrel keeping on target is easy

Cons:One of the few things that struck me is the lack of any built in sights so when you get it, you've got to get some type of optics. I got a package deal at IRVINGTON ARMS in Fremont so I didn't have to worry but still...

Package deal was $485, was rifle, case, 2 mags and red dot optic.

All in all, I'm diggin' it and it really fits my needs(gun needs, HA!) Can't comment on all aspects until I get out to the property, see how far I can push it. Like I said before, yes it is a bit pricy but what can I say? The attraction was just too much. I'm very pleased with this purchase. Anything else you'd like to know I'd be glad to fill you in.

TonyNorCal
02-27-2005, 9:28 PM
Thanks for the range report. Sounds like a nice gun. How many rounds did you fire? Any failure-to-feed, jams, etc.?

What's your overall impression of the rifle's quality/workmanship?

Do you know if it comes with any sort of warranty? I don't know much about the company.

Thanks

Leon DeGamme
02-27-2005, 9:31 PM
Just out of curiousity, how is that .17 round in regards to self defense? It probably isn't even half as powerful as the .223 and thats not saying too much, but im just curious.

TonyNorCal
02-27-2005, 10:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leon DeGamme:
Just out of curiousity, how is that .17 round in regards to self defense? It probably isn't even half as powerful as the .223 and thats not saying too much, but im just curious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm certainly no ballistics expert, but that little 20 grain projective is screaming along at 2550 FPS. While it will certainly lack the 'knock down' power of say a .357 or 12 gauge, I have no doubt that headshots would clean someone's clock. Smaller calibers like this are more suited to offensive use. Some countries employ .22s as sniper weapons. Additionally, a .22 handgun is a very stable platform and I've read assasins use it to rapidly unloaded into someone's head from behind. Seems .17HMR would fit those scenarios. However, I wouldn't recommend it for home defense. In a defenseive role someone may be charging you and it's far better to have something with sufficient power to cause an immediate threat cessation. While small calibers may work well in the above roles (where there's no attack and there is sufficient time to deply an accurate shot), in a defensive situation it's likely one would be scared and just blasting away at center mass. I also have some doubts about whether .17HMR would penerate heavy clothing (leather, etc.) with sufficient force left to be effective. While it's better than n0 gun and I certainly wouldn't want to get shot with it, I think your best bet is to load up that ole' 12 gauge pump with 00 buck. That way there's no question. No need to rely on pinpoint accuracy . http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Leon DeGamme
02-27-2005, 11:15 PM
very insightful, Tony. Thanks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

02-28-2005, 5:06 PM
Bahhh!Tried posting last night again,looks like it didn't take.

Pushed 150 rounds downrange, no feeding problems at all, did catch brass as it ejected onc time. Couple failures to fire but I put that on the ammo. Rimfire, what're ya gonna do eh?I'll really try n put it through it's paces when I get it out to the property, see what's up with longer range, rapid fire, etc.

I very much liked the feel of the gun, real solid. I haven't taken it apart yet but that's soon to come. Cycled very smooth, trigger pull was nice.One thing I noticed was that with the stock to the cheek, you could feel/hear the hum of the spring after each shot. Not a bad thing as far as I know.

OH! One thing I forgot to ***** about: the mags. These things are insanely stiff. Trying to load the ninth and final round was such an effort, it'd dent the round under it. I spent most of my session loading 7. I'm hoping they'll lighten up after a bit but until then, I'm not usin' the mags at full cap.

Tony's right as far as the power of the round goes. It's high speed n whatnot but the bullet is so small, it's got less thumping power. In a self defense situation, I'd much rather reach for the hip then try to level this rifle off.

Unless I'm huntin' me some squirrel.http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Saw a soda can at IRVINGTON ARMS that had been the target of a 17 round. I'm guessing that a squirrel or other small animal would look very much the same. The pieces that were left anyway. (Scuse me while I batten down the windows against the oncoming PETA onslaught.)

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. A hunting rifle, some form of super deadly evil black gun, etc, this isn't exactly it.But it IS a great feeling shooter.

fresno
02-28-2005, 7:10 PM
DRouland, Iam glad to hear you liked the rifle. I have to go to Cordova Shooying Center and rent one to try it myself, it sounds like fun, thank you.

03-15-2005, 8:38 PM
Little update on this. I've taken the rifle to the range a few more times since the first. Since the first time, problem has come up. The number of rounds that actually get fired seems to go down each time, it's getting ridiculous. The first time there were only a few misfires, I attributed it to the ammo. However, after running a couple different types through, it's just been getting worse. Seems like every one or two rounds out of five actually fire. I'm pretty pissed to have plunked a chunk of cash on a new rifle and within weeks have it shooting like *****. Plan on running a box of the original stuff I shot with through it just to make sure but from the past few performances, it doesn't look good.

Anyone have any thoughts on why it's doing this? Problem with the firing pin maybe? i'm clueless...

03-18-2005, 8:50 AM
Have you cleaned it yet? Could be crud in the firing pin tunnel/recess.

stillbigmac
03-18-2005, 1:50 PM
Sounds like the bolt is dirty...

If the firing pin can move it wont fire.

If you have trouble figuring it out come see me and I'll help.

03-19-2005, 7:19 PM
**hangs head sheepishly**

Yeah ok, took it apart n gave it a cleaning. thing was filthy, I know, I know, I'm bad at this game. I'll be taking it out for some real fun tomorrow, thanks for pointing out what I couldn't see:the obvious. http://www.calguns.net/bow.gif

03-22-2005, 9:05 PM
No Problem....No reason to sweat it! Please let us know how the next range session goes. I am definitely interested in one of these.