PDA

View Full Version : Huge noob Q: how to use cleaning rod. 91/30

GoodEyeSniper
09-09-2009, 3:02 PM
Okay, I feel like a dumb arse, and I've searched a lot and haven't found what I'm looking for because other questions repeatedly come up. But how do you use the patches with the cleaning rods on Mosin Nagants? :D Doesn't seem to want to fit down the barrel if I put it through the little hole on the end. Do you just put the patch down and push it through without connecting it to the rod?

I am using .40 caliber patches but I've trimmed off what should be enough and having the same issues.

also, it appears my new mosin has been recrowned, but it seems to go further back than some pictures I've seen, but the pics might just be deceiving. is about half an inch way too much to be recrowned? It seems to be about half an inch, maybe slightly more.

I'm doing my first cleaning/inspection since I picked it up yesterday. How crucial is it to disassemble the bolt? That seems to be the only part that might give me trouble, but I don't think you need any special tools so I could probably handle it. It's not really full of cosmo, so I'm guessing someone bought it and cleaned it up a bit before selling it to the gun store or whatever. Rifling looks sharp, to my untrained eyes at least.

Spiggy
09-09-2009, 3:35 PM
the little hole is actually the handle part of the cleaning rod

:) you're supposed to use the jag

SixPointEight
09-09-2009, 3:36 PM
You see the thing that looks like a...tap for a hole? It's called a jag. You screw that on the end of the rod. The long skinny cylinder fits over the end of the cleaning rod and the skinny bar locks the cylinder onto the rod. You put a patch on the jag(which hold it) and push it down the barrel. If you want, the short fat cylinder can be put on the rod before the jag, and it will fit over the end of the barrel and act as a guide.

As far as the bolt, it's actually pretty easy to get apart.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm
That ought to get you through it pretty well. It did for me.

GoodEyeSniper
09-09-2009, 3:43 PM
wait, there is a seperate piece that screws onto the actual rod to clean it? Or you just use the threaded end to clean it. I don't see a seperate piece on the parts list, or am I just completely overlooking something.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-09-2009, 3:49 PM
wait, there is a seperate piece that screws onto the actual rod to clean it? Or you just use the threaded end to clean it. I don't see a seperate piece on the parts list, or am I just completely overlooking something.

It sounds like your rifle didn't come with the cleaning kit. They aren't always included. Some vendors charge extra for them and some vendors don't have them at all.

GoodEyeSniper
09-09-2009, 3:50 PM
oh yeah, no cleaning kit, I thought the rod would be enough for the barrel... Looks like I'll have to make do until I can order one.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-09-2009, 3:54 PM
oh yeah, no cleaning kit, I thought the rod would be enough for the barrel... Looks like I'll have to make do until I can order one.

Unless you are a reenactor or into living history, you'd be better off spending the money on modern cleaning gear. The Mosin Nagant cleaning kit is a cool little novelty when it is included for free with the rifle, but it is not the best thing to use to clean your rifle.

Spiggy
09-09-2009, 3:55 PM

Hit up wally world and buy a Hoppes #9 Cleaning kit for .30caliber rifles. They're like $15 and you'll have about every basic tool to clean your rifle properly.

JacobCR03
09-09-2009, 4:09 PM
That's probably what is referred to as a counterbore. When rearsenalled, the muzzle gets counterbored deep enough to get to good rifling. I think the muzzles wore quite a bit from the original owners cleaning vigorously from the muzzle-end with a steel cleaning rod.

also, it appears my new mosin has been recrowned, but it seems to go further back than some pictures I've seen, but the pics might just be deceiving. is about half an inch way too much to be recrowned? It seems to be about half an inch, maybe slightly more.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-09-2009, 5:59 PM
The better question is why the hell are you trying to use the stock cleaning rod?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-09-2009, 6:48 PM
I just thought of another reason why you should not go out and buy a Mosin Nagant cleaning kit. The next Mosin Nagant you buy will probably come with a free kit anyway, so you'd be wasting $15 to buy one right now.

7.62x54R
09-10-2009, 2:18 AM
all the cleaning rods on my C&R rifles are for decoration. I use a modern cleaning equipment.

Francis Marion
09-10-2009, 7:58 AM
Your rifle would have been issued to the soldier with additional cleaning tools such as the jag illustrated in the attachment below. In a pinch, you can use an SKS jag, it will match the Moisin rod thread. But you have to be VERY CAREFUL to avoid damaging the crown with this setup, and since less harmful modern tools are available, why not use good tools.

The best way to clean your rifle is to use modern kit. Can be a one piece rod or sectioned, but in any case, rod should be long enough to pass fully thru the rifle barrel AND receiver. That's because you should remove the bolt and clean it from the breech end. The rifle was probably counterbored because previous owners used the military rod to clean it, and did so carelessly, scraping the crown away as they worked. The Russian M91/30 manual even tells soldiers not to abrade the crown, but people will often just do what they want regardless of instruction.

Cleaning from the breech end, the rod is more likely to match the axis of the barrel, less likely to scrape the barrel/crown.

Especially if you're shooting corrosive ammo, you should clean the rifle with hot water. I heat water in a tea kettle, and as it's heating up, I debulk the fouling by running one or two Hoppes soaked patches through the barrel. Next, pour the hot water thru the barrel from the breech to the muzzle, using a section of plastic hose and a funnel, incline the rifle to vertical. Catch the corrosive salt-laden water in a bucket or pot and discard. Can have an assistant hold the rifle, or devise a rest for the muzzle that will allow you to lean the rifle against a support and allow the water to pass readily out the muzzle.

If you pour in too much water too fast, or if the plastic tube isn't properly installed into the breech, you'll get water between the stock and action, and will have to disassemble everything to dry it.

One tea kettle is sufficient to rid the rifle of corrosive salts. Then you dry the barrel with a patch, and finish cleaning the rifle with Hoppes; I repeat the Hoppes every couple of days for a week because with time the Hoppes dissolves copper fouling, and that turns the patches blue green.

Also good idea to remove the bolt head and clean it with hot water, especially bolt face. Dry thoroughly and oil.

GoodEyeSniper
09-10-2009, 1:31 PM
Ah thanks for all the info, guys. Had already disassembled the rifle, so no worry about damaging the stock. I'll have to see if my walmart has that cleaning kit...

SixPointEight
09-10-2009, 1:33 PM
So along these lines...the retaining nut for my cleaning rod, I think it's stripped, is it a normal nut, or is it some special case where I'll have to order it online?

GoodEyeSniper
09-10-2009, 7:03 PM
I can't do ONE thing right. :mad: Somehow, while disassembling and cleaning, I lost one of the bolts, the longer one. Was hoping to have it ready to shoot for my trip to the lake this weekend (friend has 300 acres I can shoot on). I really need to get a real workbench and storage area, I'm way too unorganized.

Spiggy
09-10-2009, 8:50 PM
^sounds like you'll fit right in here :D

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-11-2009, 1:05 AM
I can't do ONE thing right. :mad: Somehow, while disassembling and cleaning, I lost one of the bolts, the longer one. Was hoping to have it ready to shoot for my trip to the lake this weekend (friend has 300 acres I can shoot on). I really need to get a real workbench and storage area, I'm way too unorganized.

You lost one of the bolts? Do you have some experimental mosin with more than one?

GoodEyeSniper
09-11-2009, 3:32 PM
not the bolt as in the bolt action. One of the two bolts that hold the whole thing together :D

hybridatsun350
09-11-2009, 3:43 PM
This is just my opinion, but I would never use a steel cleaning rod on any of my firearms. You're only asking for it if you do. Get yourself a nice one piece carbon fiber or coated cleaning rod.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-11-2009, 4:43 PM
not the bolt as in the bolt action. One of the two bolts that hold the whole thing together :D

You lost the rear tang screw? Dude, you better find it. Just look around wherever you took it out at. It's bound to be there.

GoodEyeSniper
09-11-2009, 5:42 PM
You lost the rear tang screw? Dude, you better find it. Just look around wherever you took it out at. It's bound to be there.

I'm guessing you can't find replacements? I'm so pissed. It literally shouldn't have been lost. I moved the parts from my garage out to the outside table. Then I did the towel wrap/black garbage bag thing on the bigger parts to leave in the sun, and I purposefully meant to set aside the screws. After I wrapped it up and left it in the sunshine I couldn't find the screws.

So I figured I wrapped them up with the rest, when I unwrapped it I only found one.... I walked over about 12 feet of grass, so I've scoured the yard, the brick patio, the short pathway into the garage, etc... nowhere to be found. :mad:

Any chance I can find the right size bolt at a hardware store? haha :(

Mssr. Eleganté
09-11-2009, 5:58 PM
Tennessee gun parts has the rear tang screws for $4. But they have a $10 minimum order requirement. They have the cleaning kits for $10.

http://www.tngunparts.com/m44.htm

That won't help you go shooting this weekend though. Do you have a BigAssMagnet you could use to troll around the area?

GoodEyeSniper
09-11-2009, 6:04 PM
Tennessee gun parts has the rear tang screws for $4. But they have a $10 minimum order requirement. They have the cleaning kits for $10.

http://www.tngunparts.com/m44.htm

That won't help you go shooting this weekend though. Do you have a BigAssMagnet you could use to troll around the area?

Thanks for the link, don't think I have a big magnet, haha. Might as well just order up a bunch of crap :P

edit: are the tang screws all the same if it's m44, 91/30 etc...?

Mssr. Eleganté
09-11-2009, 6:09 PM
edit: are the tang screws all the same if it's m44, 91/30 etc...?

Yes, the are all the same. Just make sure it is the rear tang screw you lost, since TGP is out of the front ones. Another good item to buy if you need to get your order past $10 is the Mauser tall front sight. You'll eventually get a Mauser if you don't have one already, and installing the tall front sight will allow you to set up a 100 yard zero.

GoodEyeSniper
09-11-2009, 6:15 PM
do you know which one is longer? I'm pretty sure I lost the longer one, aha. I couldn't tell from their diagram

clockwork
09-11-2009, 8:19 PM
The rear tang is longer. try buymilsurp.com also... I got a bayonet screw and spring at the same time as I ordered my bent bolt from them. They have a bunch of crap different parts that they sell...

do you know which one is longer? I'm pretty sure I lost the longer one, aha. I couldn't tell from their diagram