PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone w/ Japanese Support?

Rekrab
09-09-2009, 2:36 PM
I'm looking for a cell phone that supports Japanese language. Input isn't important, but the ability to read it is.

I'm on Sprint and don't want to switch. I've been trying to find out if the HTC Hero, TouchPro2 or Palm Pre will read it but I seem to be having trouble finding information on this exact issue.

Anyone know?

domokun
09-09-2009, 4:43 PM
The only phone readily available to do this is the iPhone. Since you don't want to switch, your only option is to find an EVDO/CDMA US frequency banded phone in Asia that can do this and then have it imported into the US and hooked up to your Sprint plan.

Sprint and Verizon both install custom vendor specific firmware onto their phones that basically disable CJK support plus a host of other features on them as 98% of their target market in the US doesn't require or need them.

Rekrab
09-09-2009, 6:05 PM
That was the feeling I was getting, I was hoping that Android, WinMo or WebOS might support it though... or that someone would develop an app/add-on that would help support it.

domokun
09-09-2009, 7:46 PM
Getting the US cellular provider to give up their death grip like control over what is supported and goes onto the mobile devices on their networks is harder than pulling teeth from an angry hippopotamus.

BlackViper
09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
What domokun said is about spot-on, though with some phones you can re-flash your own ROMs (ie, winmo phones) and you could install a foreign ROM, some phones you can tweak the device id (ie, Nokias) and you can re-flash it with a different region's firmware.

Your big issue is Sprint, as PCS isn't standard like GSM (although Japan has been non-standard as well up to 3G).

Your best bet IMO is a winmo phone, and install your own ROM. If you go that route, ask questions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Rekrab
09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow, I'm kinda shocked. I figured smartphones would support language packs of some kind by now >.< How very frustrating.

Oh well, thanks for the info!

Turbinator
09-12-2009, 6:49 AM
A coworker of mine is about to get one of the newer Blackberry devices, possibly a Storm. I'll ask him if he can install Japanese language packs for his. He travels to Japan several times a year for work and personal.

Turby

TonyM
09-12-2009, 7:28 AM
A coworker of mine is about to get one of the newer Blackberry devices, possibly a Storm. I'll ask him if he can install Japanese language packs for his. He travels to Japan several times a year for work and personal.

Turby

Shouldn't be a problem. Everytime I update the firmware on my Bold I am prompted for which languages I want to support that are in the firmware pack. Most of the time, the firmware I get from RIM's download site is from the Asian market.

Nice thing about BB's is that you don't need to wait for your carrier to release a firmware package. All you need to do is install the Firmware executable and remove a single .xml file that scans for the supported vendor (vendor.xml) and you're up and running with the latest fixes.

I've updated my Bold and 8820 Blackberry units dozens of times over the last couple years and they are AT&T locked devices. My BES admin has become someone I talk to frequently to setup the password to re-activate my device on BES after an update. ;)

Tragic Image
09-13-2009, 7:18 PM
I'm pretty sure my Blackberry supports Japanese characters....

I'm at work right now though, and devices that transmit signals are a no-no here.

I'll check when I get home.

good site to check if you REALLY gotta know is the forums at Crackberry