PDA

View Full Version : MOSIN AMMOand SCOPE

mitchsti
09-09-2009, 7:37 AM
So I am picking up my first mosin this weekend and have found plenty of ammo, but what I need to know is what seems to work the best.
Brass cased, steel and what is a good grain to start with.
I would prefer using non corrosive but it seems not many brands come this way.

Another thing I was looking at is the rail that replaces the rear sight anyone used one of these with a scope mounted? scope?

Any and all input would be great

And by the way its a 1952 polish M44

AndrewMendez
09-09-2009, 8:09 AM
Its all terrible! Buy as much of it as you can, I will pick it up from you, and will dispose of it! No Need to Thank Me! But in all honestly, What are you using the ammo for?? Target practice?? Long Range??? Can you use magnetic at the range you want to use it at?? Cause you can find a crap load of magnetic ammo!

mitchsti
09-09-2009, 8:41 AM
going to be used for target, long range (300 yds) and possibly hunting.
I know one type of ammo wont do all well so let me know.
as far as magnetic I have not seen any signs at the ranges I go to saying that it cant be used.
which brings up another question, why do some places not allow the use of magnetic ammo? (pardon the newb question)

JacobCR03
09-09-2009, 8:58 AM
With the right conditions, steel-core ammo can cause sparks and a possible fire if it hits rocks among dry weeds.

grymster
09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I have a pile of Russian and Hungarian surplus for plinking and some boxes of Prvi Partizan for other purposes.

Caseless
09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
So I am picking up my first mosin this weekend

Which model? M91/30, M39 rifle or M38, M44 carbine?
Generally you use light ball 149gr or lighter for the Russian made rifles, heavy ball 182gr+ for Finnish Mosin rifles.

Many steel-cased rounds will "stick" on extraction in some rifles. There's a technique to circumvent this sticky bolt issue. Brass cased surplus ammo won't stick but may have split case necks if they were improperly stored.

All surplus ammo in this caliber are corrosive. After each range trip, spray some water down the barrel. Rinse, dry, then clean as normal. Not really a problem.

Oh, get a rubber recoil pad, if you plan to shoot more than 10 rounds each session.:coolgleamA: I use a Limbsaver slip-on size small.

mitchsti
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
this is what i got 7.62x54R Yugo M30 300rnds Brass cased, lead core we will see how it goes on sunday

5hundo
09-09-2009, 11:48 AM
this is what i got 7.62x54R Yugo M30 300rnds Brass cased, lead core we will see how it goes on sunday

You have chosen...

....wisely! ;)

Mr.Pickles
09-09-2009, 12:38 PM

very good ammo. I got a 1200 case about 3 months back on ammoman. Can't be happier.

Palimino Stripe
09-09-2009, 4:49 PM
Yugo surplus IS STILL CORROSIVE. But excellent ammo nontheless. But there's no reason to fear corrosive ammo. Simply clean the bore throughly after shooting then apply a light coat of oil afterward (spray WD-40 down the bore for example). Hasn't failed me yet...

As far as scope set ups- it sounds like you're after a 'scout scope' set-up. Which is good- if you permanently modified a POLISH M44- you would make many people angry...and cry...

The best one I could recomend would be a Darrell's scout mount. Info found here:

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/forums/116

-Palimino

mitchsti
09-09-2009, 6:35 PM
not going to do anything permanent, I found a mount that takes place of the rear sight and from what I have read the rear sight unscrews and this drops in its place.

snowboarder
09-09-2009, 7:45 PM
Nice pick up on the Mosin. They're great rifles.

I've got a Finnish M39 and I shoot 203gr Barnaul & 182gr FMJ Prvi surplus. I buy quite a bit of my ammo from this place...

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|853

Just like the other posters here said, after every range day immediately clean your firearm. I carry a bottle of watered down Windex in my range bag and before I go home I'll clean the rifles that have fired corrosive ammo ASAP.

I've got the same type of scope setup as you're about to do. You replace the rear leaf spring, mount your scope, zero it in and off to the races you go. The only drawback to that setup is you have to check it and re-zero every so often. The plus side
is you don't "damage" an original firearm with drilling and tapping.

Let us know how it goes!!

SB

mitchsti
09-09-2009, 8:15 PM
Thanks for all the help guys this site has been the most informative for all my gun needs and questions

cryoguy
09-09-2009, 8:32 PM
Just don't use the ATI setup it sucks. I tried it on my Mosin and it didn't hold. Now I have the scout mount and I am liking it so far. And remember you can't use FMJ for hunting. You have to use a expanding on impact round. Also you cant hunt big game such as deer, pig, elk, and bear with a mosin due to it firing a rimmed cartridge. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

cryoguy
09-09-2009, 8:33 PM
Nice pick up on the Mosin. They're great rifles.

I've got a Finnish M39 and I shoot 203gr Barnaul & 182gr FMJ Prvi surplus. I buy quite a bit of my ammo from this place...

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|853

Just like the other posters here said, after every range day immediately clean your firearm. I carry a bottle of watered down Windex in my range bag and before I go home I'll clean the rifles that have fired corrosive ammo ASAP.

I've got the same type of scope setup as you're about to do. You replace the rear leaf spring, mount your scope, zero it in and off to the races you go. The only drawback to that setup is you have to check it and re-zero every so often. The plus side
is you don't "damage" an original firearm with drilling and tapping.

Let us know how it goes!!

SB

Thanks for the website. Found myself some soft tip hunting rounds that are cheap.

+1

socomIInato
09-09-2009, 9:50 PM
Yugo surplus IS STILL CORROSIVE. But excellent ammo nontheless. But there's no reason to fear corrosive ammo. Simply clean the bore throughly after shooting then apply a light coat of oil afterward (spray WD-40 down the bore for example). Hasn't failed me yet...

As far as scope set ups- it sounds like you're after a 'scout scope' set-up. Which is good- if you permanently modified a POLISH M44- you would make many people angry...and cry...

The best one I could recomend would be a Darrell's scout mount. Info found here:

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/forums/116

-Palimino

do not deface a polish work of art;)or the milsurp police will visit you:eek:

Stormtrooperthunder
09-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Also you cant hunt big game such as deer, pig, elk, and bear with a mosin due to it firing a rimmed cartridge. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

wait, what? Sportsman supply sold me a box of lead free 7.62x54r and told me it was perfectly fine for pig and deer...

Scratch705
09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
not sure about the rimmed cartridge part, i thought it just had to be a soft point/hollowpoint as to kill the animal quickly, and not have it wounded and slow die.

caldude
09-10-2009, 6:05 AM
not sure about the rimmed cartridge part, i thought it just had to be a soft point/hollowpoint as to kill the animal quickly, and not have it wounded and slow die.

+1. Rimmed cartridges are fine, otherwise the 30-30 would be illegal. It's the bullet used.

emcon5
09-10-2009, 7:08 AM
Also you cant hunt big game such as deer, pig, elk, and bear with a mosin due to it firing a rimmed cartridge. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I think you are confusing "Rimmed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim_%28firearms%29#Rimmed)" with "Rimfire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimfire)"

As was mentioned, rimmed ammo is fine for hunting, but rimfire normally isn't.

cryoguy
09-10-2009, 9:01 PM
thank you for educating me on the difference. Sorry for the FUD

:fud: