PDA

View Full Version : Another Garand has found a new home...

rc50cal
09-08-2009, 11:24 PM
in my house. It is an HRA Correct from the CMP. I have it outfitted with the short bayonet and a canvas sling. I also have 192 rounds of Greek surplus and 80 rounds of American Eagles 30-06 Garand. I can't wait to shoot it. I know; this thread is useless without pics. I will take some tomorrow.

wayoutwest
09-09-2009, 2:26 AM
Congrats, looking forward to pics.....:)

Asphodel
09-09-2009, 12:05 PM
rc,

The Greek surplus rounds are M2 ball, and intended for use in the Garand. I've been told that they are very nearly as accurate as the now-unavailable Lake City M2 ball.

The 'American Eagle' '06 rounds may, and thats *may*, be a different story.

At the very least, it would be prudent to contact the manufacturer of the rounds, and ask about the loading, specifically, whether they recommend for or against its use in M1 Garand rifles.

Alternatively, you could get a close estimate of the actual power level of the American Eagle rounds by firing them in a bolt rifle, and chronographing them, then firing Greek or Lake City M2 ball for comparison, making allowance for the bullet weight, if other than 150gr.

There are quite a few people who are knowledgeable about Garands who say that the generality of current production '06 are loaded to a higher pressure level than mil-spec M2 ball, and may damage the rifle.

I don't know this from first-hand experience.

I've fired a few thousand M2 ball, or match-grade handloads done to M2 specs, back when my partner and I were taking part in local matches, and have never experienced any failures or appearance of damage to our M1 rifles. (we were careful to field-strip, clean and lubricate the M1's per spec, after each match)

We were warned by some experienced M1 users to avoid firing commercial '06 ammunition. They told stories of bent op rods, and other component damage. There is no problem with using commercial '06 brass, if in good condition, for hand loads which replicate M2 ball spec.

cheers

Carla

maxx424
09-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Yep - if you want a bent op rod use current production ammo. Other wise use the mil surplus or load your own. 48Gr of 4895 with a 150 gr bullet.

Black Majik
09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Yep - if you want a bent op rod use current production ammo. Other wise use the mil surplus or load your own. 48Gr of 4895 with a 150 gr bullet.

American Eagle actually makes Garand specific 30-06 ammo. It'd be interesting to hear how it shoots.

rc50cal
09-09-2009, 2:00 PM
This American Eagle is the AE3006M1 loaded specifically for the Garand not the AE3006N (150 gr boat tail FMJ). It says right on the box, "For M1 Garand Use." When I take the rifle out I will let you know how the accuracy compares to the Greek M2.